From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: "Windows for Linux" -- again??
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:15:43 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:15 UTC

After my BIOS settings crashed (one result was that a boot repair disk
couldn't find Windows except the one on VBox!!) I did a complete reinstall.

Now, Windows-like, KDE has set itself to be the default DE, and I need
to change it to Xfce on every bootup. Normally, Xfce would be saved for
the next boot, but KDE won't allow that. And KDE is still popular!

Re: "Windows for Linux" -- again??

<sgt1vc$k2p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4059&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4059

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: "Windows for Linux" -- again??
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:46:50 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:46 UTC

On 3/9/21 9:15 pm, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> After my BIOS settings crashed (one result was that a boot repair disk
> couldn't find Windows except the one on VBox!!)  I did a complete
> reinstall.
>
> Now, Windows-like, KDE has set itself to be the default DE, and I need
> to change it to Xfce on every bootup.  Normally, Xfce would be saved for
> the next boot, but KDE won't allow that.  And KDE is still popular!

I have uninstalled the Plasma core components. In addition, I have
uninstalled BOINC. I first heard of Seti@Home from a German user, many
years ago. Now the program has an upstream bug that consumes CPU. and
none of the developers seem to know what is causing it. I think that I
have done my bit for BOINC's distributed computing. My computer is
behaving again as it should have, from the beginning.

Re: "Windows for Linux" -- again??

<slrnsj46do.h0p5.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4060&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4060

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 07:48:56 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:48 UTC

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:15:43 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> After my BIOS settings crashed (one result was that a boot repair disk
> couldn't find Windows except the one on VBox!!) I did a complete reinstall.
>
> Now, Windows-like, KDE has set itself to be the default DE, and I need
> to change it to Xfce on every bootup.

Problem is between keyboard and chair. I always pick xfce only during
install.

> Normally, Xfce would be saved for
> the next boot, but KDE won't allow that. And KDE is still popular!

On the occasions I have installed more than one DE, the login screen
allowed me to pick user for login, then click a configuration icon
and pick the DE for the user, then enter password and DE screen comes up.