From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Opinion: If AT&T Can Silence Newsmax, Who Is Next? [telecom]
Date: 20 Feb 2023 21:02:29 -0500
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 02:02 UTC

By Alan Dershowitz, Emeritus professor of law, Harvard Law School

AT&T's recent deplatforming of Newsmax, one of America's most
influential cable news channels, should alarm everyone, including
liberals. We are all at risk when censorship occurs—when one is silenced
based on his or her point of view.

The facts strongly suggest that partisan and ideological motives played
a sizable role in AT&T and DirecTV's decision to remove Newsmax on
January 24, when some 13 million homes were deprived of the
channel—including my own. After the recent State of the Union address, I
turned to Newsmax for their coverage, but was surprised to find it
suddenly missing from my channel guide.

https://www.newsweek.com/if-t-can-silence-newsmax-who-next-opinion-1781867

--
(Please remove QRM for direct replies)

Re: [telecom] Opinion: If AT&T Can Silence Newsmax, Who Is Next?

<MWHPR22MB0253E6C64B7E40F332594EBAF5AA9@MWHPR22MB0253.namprd22.prod.outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4066&group=comp.dcom.telecom#4066

From: fatkin...@mishmash.com (Fred Atkinson)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: [telecom] Opinion: If AT&T Can Silence Newsmax, Who Is Next?
Date: 22 Feb 2023 03:07:18 +0000
Sender: alias@iecc.com
> By Alan Dershowitz, Emeritus professor of law, Harvard Law School
>
> AT&T's recent deplatforming of Newsmax, one of America's most
> influential cable news channels, should alarm everyone, including
> liberals. We are all at risk when censorship occurs - when one is
> silenced based on his or her point of view.
>
> The facts strongly suggest that partisan and ideological motives
> played a sizable role in AT&T and DirecTV's decision to remove
> Newsmax on January 24, when some 13 million homes were deprived of
> the channel=97including my own. After the recent State of the Union
> address, I turned to Newsmax for their coverage, but was surprised
> to find it suddenly missing from my channel guide.
>
> https://www.newsweek.com/if-t-can-silence-newsmax-who-next-opinion-1781867
>
> --
> (Please remove QRM for direct replies)
To those who lost Newsmax, you can get Newsmax for free using a
Roku. They have a channel app you can install and watch it to your
heart's content.

For OANN, you can watch it on your Roku using a service called
'KlowdTV'.

The cost of the service is very minute. I signed up at a time
when I got it for two dollars and fifty cents.

KlowdTV includes a number of other news and related channels as well.

If there is ever a reason to become a 'cord cutter', this could
be it.

I dropped my cable TV a long time ago. I have been using my Roku
to watch programming for years.

Regards,

Fred

* Moderator's Note *
* *
* Q. Why is top-posting bad? *
* *
* A. Because it disturbs the normal top-to-bottom flow of a *
* written conversation. *
* *

Re: Opinion: If AT&T Can Silence Newsmax, Who Is Next? [telecom]

<20230222172647.F35B59DCBDEF@ary.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4069&group=comp.dcom.telecom#4069

From: joh...@iecc.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 22 Feb 2023 09:26:46 -0800
Sender: alias@iecc.com
Cleverness: minimal
 by: John Levine - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 17:26 UTC

It appears that Bill Horne <malQRMassimilation@gmail.com> said:
>By Alan Dershowitz, Emeritus professor of law, Harvard Law School
>
>AT&T's recent deplatforming of Newsmax, one of America's most
>influential cable news channels, should alarm everyone, including
>liberals. We are all at risk when censorship occurs—when one is silenced
>based on his or her point of view.
>
>The facts strongly suggest that partisan and ideological motives played
>a sizable role in AT&T and DirecTV's decision to remove Newsmax ...

I don't know what has happened to Dershowitz. He used to be a top tier
legal professor, but now he's just trolling.

The actual issue is that Newsmax demanded that DirecTV pay them, and
DirecTV said no. They are quite willing to continue to carry them,
just not to pay them. As many people have noted, if you want to watch
Newsmax, it's easy to stream it for free.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2023-01-24/conservative-news-network-newsmax-on-the-verge-of-being-dropped-by-directv

R's,
John