From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: SDDM on bootup
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 07:12:08 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:12 UTC

Until now, SDDM would appear with my choice of desktop (Xfce-the bottom
of the list) always filled in. At present, it always shows IceWM, no
matter what it showed when I logged out. I have looked through the
config file and I created an .xinitrc file for Xfce. A forum post for
another distro suggests that I should check my $HOME/.dmrc file. It
tooshows Xfce. This bug sounds like an "old faithful," and is probably a
permission problem.

What is the fix, please. TIA.

Re: SDDM on bootup

<op.0855fiita3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4065&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4065

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: SDDM on bootup
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 20:10:20 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 00:10 UTC

On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 17:12:08 -0400, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> Until now, SDDM would appear with my choice of desktop (Xfce-the bottom
> of the list) always filled in. At present, it always shows IceWM, no
> matter what it showed when I logged out. I have looked through the
> config file and I created an .xinitrc file for Xfce. A forum post for
> another distro suggests that I should check my $HOME/.dmrc file. It
> tooshows Xfce. This bug sounds like an "old faithful," and is probably a
> permission problem.
>
> What is the fix, please. TIA.

In the /etc/sddm.conf ensure it has RememberLastSession=true, which is the default.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: SDDM on bootup

<sgulj1$17rp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4066&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4066

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 12:27:45 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 02:27 UTC

On 4/9/21 10:10 am, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 17:12:08 -0400, Doug Laidlaw
> <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Until now, SDDM would appear with my choice of desktop (Xfce-the bottom
>> of the list) always filled in.  At present, it always shows IceWM, no
>> matter what it showed when I logged out.  I have looked through the
>> config file and I created an .xinitrc file for Xfce.  A forum post for
>> another distro suggests that I should check my $HOME/.dmrc file. It
>> tooshows Xfce. This bug sounds like an "old faithful," and is probably a
>> permission problem.
>>
>> What is the fix, please. TIA.
>
> In the /etc/sddm.conf ensure it has RememberLastSession=true, which is
> the default.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Thanks, Dave. I looked only at the one in $HOME.

Re: SDDM on bootup

<sgvpqj$rvi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4068&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4068

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 08:46:08 -0400
 by: TJ - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 12:46 UTC

On 9/3/21 10:27 PM, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On 4/9/21 10:10 am, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 17:12:08 -0400, Doug Laidlaw
>> <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Until now, SDDM would appear with my choice of desktop (Xfce-the bottom
>>> of the list) always filled in.  At present, it always shows IceWM, no
>>> matter what it showed when I logged out.  I have looked through the
>>> config file and I created an .xinitrc file for Xfce.  A forum post for
>>> another distro suggests that I should check my $HOME/.dmrc file. It
>>> tooshows Xfce. This bug sounds like an "old faithful," and is probably a
>>> permission problem.
>>>
>>> What is the fix, please. TIA.
>>
>> In the /etc/sddm.conf ensure it has RememberLastSession=true, which is
>> the default.
>>
>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>>
> Thanks, Dave.  I looked only at the one in $HOME.

Here is what happened:

You said you did a recent new install. It was probably done from the
original Mageia 8 Classic DVD iso. The sddm on that iso had a bug where
the conf file had been changed during development and not changed back.
That was later fixed with an update, but the change wasn't automatic.

Mageia has a policy of not changing user conf files without the user's
permission. The sddm update would have given the user the options of
using the new conf file, saving it as "rpmnew" or "rpmsave" or doing
nothing. In this case, if you chose one of the last two options, you
didn't get the fix.

This sort of thing can go the other way, too. Last winter sometime I
told Mageia to use the new config file of an update - and it disabled
scanning. I had to re-install my HP Officejet to get it back.

So, each case is different.

TJ

Re: SDDM on bootup

<sh329n$1i01$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4073&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4073

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 04:29:09 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 18:29 UTC

On 4/9/21 10:46 pm, TJ wrote:
> On 9/3/21 10:27 PM, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>> On 4/9/21 10:10 am, David W. Hodgins wrote:

>>> In the /etc/sddm.conf ensure it has RememberLastSession=true, which
>>> is the default.
>>>
>>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>>>
>> Thanks, Dave.  I looked only at the one in $HOME.
>
> Here is what happened:
>
> You said you did a recent new install. It was probably done from the
> original Mageia 8 Classic DVD iso. The sddm on that iso had a bug where
> the conf file had been changed during development and not changed back.
> That was later fixed with an update, but the change wasn't automatic.
>
> Mageia has a policy of not changing user conf files without the user's
> permission. The sddm update would have given the user the options of
> using the new conf file, saving it as "rpmnew" or "rpmsave" or doing
> nothing. In this case, if you chose one of the last two options, you
> didn't get the fix.
>
> This sort of thing can go the other way, too. Last winter sometime I
> told Mageia to use the new config file of an update - and it disabled
> scanning. I had to re-install my HP Officejet to get it back.
>
> So, each case is different.
>
> TJ

Thanks, TJ. There is no config file in $HOME, only the one in /etc.
The journal has the following message:

gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

Then, when I switch to Xfce a few minutes later, sddm-helper crashes.

Re: SDDM on bootup

<sh3310$1sfn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4074&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4074

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 04:41:35 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 18:41 UTC

On 6/9/21 4:29 am, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> Thanks, TJ.  There is no config file in $HOME, only the one in /etc. The
> journal has the following message:
>
> gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
>
> Then, when I switch to Xfce a few minutes later, sddm-helper crashes.

So I did what you did. I uninstalled sddm; the (defective) config file
was saved as "rpmsave," sothere was nothing to overwrite.
Then I reinstalled sddm, and was offered an updated version. The
problem had disappeared.