From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Screen showing 3 question marks.
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 23:45:26 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 13:45 UTC

This has happened to me before, and from Bug 1964 (now closed) it was
happening to quite a few people around that time. It was said not to be
a bug affecting performance, only a cosmetic one.

In my case, I see a gray screen having in the center, 3 small squares,
more a dirty white color, each containing a "?". Mageia 8 keeps loading
in text mode for a few lines, then the graphical login screen appears.
My video card is nvidia, and I configure it to use Mageia's nvidia
driver. Twice in a row, X says that it doesn't like that arrangement,
changes the driver to nouveau, and tells me to reboot to give effect to
the change. There may be a recent upgrade of the driver: it was O.K.
about a week ago.

Re: Screen showing 3 question marks.

<op.09l8c2tga3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4082&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4082

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Screen showing 3 question marks.
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 12:35:16 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 16:35 UTC

On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 09:45:26 -0400, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> This has happened to me before, and from Bug 1964 (now closed) it was
> happening to quite a few people around that time. It was said not to be
> a bug affecting performance, only a cosmetic one.
>
> In my case, I see a gray screen having in the center, 3 small squares,
> more a dirty white color, each containing a "?". Mageia 8 keeps loading
> in text mode for a few lines, then the graphical login screen appears.
> My video card is nvidia, and I configure it to use Mageia's nvidia
> driver. Twice in a row, X says that it doesn't like that arrangement,
> changes the driver to nouveau, and tells me to reboot to give effect to
> the change. There may be a recent upgrade of the driver: it was O.K.
> about a week ago.

The screen with 3 question marks is grub failing to load properly. Check the
journal. It may be a filesystem failing to mount or some other problem preventing
grub from loading the graphics it uses, such as a typo in the grub configuration.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: Screen showing 3 question marks.

<siabhk$2dp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4096&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4096

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 02:06:10 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:06 UTC

On 13/9/21 2:35 am, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> The screen with 3 question marks is grub failing to load properly. Check
> the
> journal. It may be a filesystem failing to mount or some other problem
> preventing
> grub from loading the graphics it uses, such as a typo in the grub
> configuration.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Thanks, Dave. You are spot on. The journal is full of lines where each
command from grub is read in turn. I didn't look back far enough
before. There was a reference to a config error in my 40_custom file,
so I will mark that file not executable and try again. Your comments
seem to imply that the strange colours between screens come from the
same cause. Also this:

"40grub2: appears to be an automatic reference taken from another grub.cfg"

I was always told that copying and pasting is the wrong way to do anything.

Doug.

Re: Screen showing 3 question marks.

<siaci5$fc8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4097&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4097

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 09:23:32 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:23 UTC

On 9/20/21 09:06, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On 13/9/21 2:35 am, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> The screen with 3 question marks is grub failing to load properly.
>> Check the
>> journal. It may be a filesystem failing to mount or some other problem
>> preventing
>> grub from loading the graphics it uses, such as a typo in the grub
>> configuration.
>>
>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> Thanks, Dave. You are spot on.  The journal is full of lines where each
> command from grub is read in turn.  I didn't look back far enough
> before.  There was a reference to a config error in my 40_custom file,
> so I will mark that file not executable and try again.  Your comments
> seem to imply that the strange colours between screens come from the
> same cause.  Also this:
>

> "40grub2: appears to be an automatic reference taken from another grub.cfg"
>
> I was always told that copying and pasting is the wrong way to do anything.
>
> Doug.

Doug, that depends on what you are doing.
But is seems to be over-used at times in coding.

bliss - Your tag lines (k) were stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!
Damned theives...
Quaff a Ption of See Invisble and it is Smeagol at high
speed and teleporting. Draw Ringle and dispatch him.

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Screen showing 3 question marks.

<siagrs$qo6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4098&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4098

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 03:36:59 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 17:36 UTC

On 21/9/21 2:23 am, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

>     Doug, that depends on what you are doing.
> But is seems to be over-used at times in coding.

I wouldn't know about coding, but it is over-used in genealogy. It is
too easy to copy somebody else's work without any checking. Then when
somebody who does check, comes along, he has a bigger mess to wade through.

But here, I am basically having problems with "original" code that works
for others, and that used to work for me. Disabling 40_custom did what
it is supposed to, but didn't change anything. I thought that I had my
box recovered from a BIG crash, but there are still issues.

Re: Screen showing 3 question marks.

<siaml1$ufa$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4099&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4099

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 12:15:44 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:15 UTC

On 9/20/21 10:36, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On 21/9/21 2:23 am, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>>
>>      Doug, that depends on what you are doing.
>> But is seems to be over-used at times in coding.
>
> I wouldn't know about coding, but it is over-used in genealogy.  It is
> too easy to copy somebody else's work without any checking. Then when
> somebody who does check, comes along, he has a bigger mess to wade through.
>
> But here, I am basically having problems with "original" code that works
> for others, and that used to work for me.  Disabling 40_custom did what
> it is supposed to, but didn't change anything.  I thought that I had my
> box recovered from a BIG crash, but there are still issues.

I feel your disquiet.
One of mine has been sidelined since last month
after an ill-considered attempt to get / more space.
I have find time to think about what partitions to create.
Timeshift could not find its backups so I moved to another
not quite as powerful but adequate to my needs.

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

[RESOLVED]Re: Screen showing 3 question marks.

<sigflm$1k6u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4104&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4104

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: [RESOLVED]Re: Screen showing 3 question marks.
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 09:53:25 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:53 UTC

On 21/9/21 5:15 am, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 9/20/21 10:36, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>> On 21/9/21 2:23 am, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>>>
>>>      Doug, that depends on what you are doing.
>>> But is seems to be over-used at times in coding.
>>
>> I wouldn't know about coding, but it is over-used in genealogy.  It is
>> too easy to copy somebody else's work without any checking. Then when
>> somebody who does check, comes along, he has a bigger mess to wade
>> through.
>>
>> But here, I am basically having problems with "original" code that
>> works for others, and that used to work for me.  Disabling 40_custom
>> did what it is supposed to, but didn't change anything.  I thought
>> that I had my box recovered from a BIG crash, but there are still issues.
>
>     I feel your disquiet.
>     One of mine has been sidelined since last month
> after an ill-considered attempt to get / more space.
> I have find time to think about what partitions to create.
> Timeshift could not find its backups so I moved to another
> not quite as powerful but adequate to my needs.
>
>     bliss

Well, I got it fixed, but I am not entirely sure what did it.

Normally, I have /var on a separate partition. On any reinstall, I
blank the partition then restore any current data files from the latest
backup. I then have to change the ownerships to match the new list of
root user IDs. Anything that I miss, won't work. I found one lock file
I had missed, that was preventing postfix from starting. While in
nouveau, I uninstalled dkms-nvidia: it causes problems every time. Then
I reinstalled the distro's nvidia package. That fixed everything except
for a small graphic before the desktop comes up.