In every non-trivial program there is at least one bug.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.hardware / Re: Laser Printers

SubjectAuthor
* Laser PrintersRichard Porter
+* Re: Laser PrintersIan
|`- Re: Laser PrintersRichard Porter
`* Re: Laser PrintersChris Hughes
 `* Re: Laser PrintersRichard Porter
  `* Re: Laser PrintersChris Hughes
   `- Re: Laser PrintersRichard Porter

1
Laser Printers

<213879fb59.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=406&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#406

Subject: Laser Printers
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
From: ric...@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:52:27 +0100
 by: Richard Porter - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:52 UTC

Please can anyone give me a yay or nay on the following printers working
with RISC OS 5.29 (ARMX6):
Kyocera Ecosys P5026cd
Xerox Versalink C400DN

The printer would be on the network, PostScript 3 Driver to JetDirect or
PDF via FTP.

According to the specs there shouldn't be a problem. Duplex isn't
essential. I can't see how you would control duplex printing from RO but
presumably you can select it on the printer.

I'm replacing a Lexmark C534n which has decided not to play ball any more.
--
Richard Porter

Re: Laser Printers

<20220620134122.697ce779@ian-460-p050na>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=407&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#407

From: Ian.Hami...@AAUG.net (Ian)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Subject: Re: Laser Printers
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:41:22 +0100
 by: Ian - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 12:41 UTC

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:52:27 +0100
Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

> Please can anyone give me a yay or nay on the following printers
> working with RISC OS 5.29 (ARMX6):
> Kyocera Ecosys P5026cd
> Xerox Versalink C400DN
>
> The printer would be on the network, PostScript 3 Driver to JetDirect
> or PDF via FTP.
>
> According to the specs there shouldn't be a problem. Duplex isn't
> essential. I can't see how you would control duplex printing from RO
> but presumably you can select it on the printer.
>
> I'm replacing a Lexmark C534n which has decided not to play ball any
> more.

The Kyocera using the Postscript 3 driver should work fine and allow
duplex setting if required.

I haven't tried the model mentioned above but have used several Kyocera
models (not colour) with RISC OS.

I usually use USB connection from RISC OS and network connection from
PC. I'm sure network from RISC OS would work too.

HTH,
Ian

Re: Laser Printers

<cb7482fb59.chris@mytardis>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=408&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#408

From: lis...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:33:21 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 12:33 UTC

In message <213879fb59.news@user.minijem.plus.com>
Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

> Please can anyone give me a yay or nay on the following printers working
> with RISC OS 5.29 (ARMX6):
> Kyocera Ecosys P5026cd
> Xerox Versalink C400DN

Both should be Ok especially if you meant Kyocera P5026CDN - the network
version. The Kyocera seems to have lower running cost for page per print.

> The printer would be on the network, PostScript 3 Driver to JetDirect or
> PDF via FTP.

Since they both support Postscript 3 and PCL 5 and 6 no need to do PDF via
FTP, just print vai the RISC OS drivers across the network.

> According to the specs there shouldn't be a problem. Duplex isn't
> essential. I can't see how you would control duplex printing from RO but
> presumably you can select it on the printer.

Get the either the Duplex PCL or Duplex Postscript drives done by Richard
Darby available via !Store - they are Free, then you can do all your
duplex and colour etc from the RISC OS side of things.

I use a Kycocera Mono laser duplex with the Postscript 3 drivers works
very well across the network.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Laser Printers

<bb36b4fb59.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=409&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#409

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
From: ric...@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 22:36:50 +0100
 by: Richard Porter - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 21:36 UTC

The date being 20 Jun 2022, Chris Hughes <lists@noonehere.co.uk> decided
to write:

> In message <213879fb59.news@user.minijem.plus.com>
> Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

>> Please can anyone give me a yay or nay on the following printers working
>> with RISC OS 5.29 (ARMX6):
>> Kyocera Ecosys P5026cd
>> Xerox Versalink C400DN

> Both should be Ok especially if you meant Kyocera P5026CDN - the network
> version. The Kyocera seems to have lower running cost for page per print.

Thanks.

>> The printer would be on the network, PostScript 3 Driver to JetDirect or
>> PDF via FTP.

> Since they both support Postscript 3 and PCL 5 and 6 no need to do PDF via
> FTP, just print vai the RISC OS drivers across the network.

I do that too. Currently if I need to print a PDF file that someone has
sent me it's just as easy to throw it at the printer via FTPc.

>> According to the specs there shouldn't be a problem. Duplex isn't
>> essential. I can't see how you would control duplex printing from RO but
>> presumably you can select it on the printer.

> Get the either the Duplex PCL or Duplex Postscript drives done by Richard
> Darby available via !Store - they are Free, then you can do all your
> duplex and colour etc from the RISC OS side of things.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that one.

> I use a Kycocera Mono laser duplex with the Postscript 3 drivers works
> very well across the network.

I can remember using a Kyocera printer at work many years ago. It had its
own page description language, "Prescribe".

Re: Laser Printers

<774bb4fb59.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=410&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#410

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
From: ric...@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 22:37:43 +0100
 by: Richard Porter - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 21:37 UTC

The date being 20 Jun 2022, Ian <Ian.Hamilton@AAUG.net> decided to write:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:52:27 +0100
> Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

>> Please can anyone give me a yay or nay on the following printers
>> working with RISC OS 5.29 (ARMX6):
>> Kyocera Ecosys P5026cd
>> Xerox Versalink C400DN
>>
>> The printer would be on the network, PostScript 3 Driver to JetDirect
>> or PDF via FTP.
>>
>> According to the specs there shouldn't be a problem. Duplex isn't
>> essential. I can't see how you would control duplex printing from RO
>> but presumably you can select it on the printer.
>>
>> I'm replacing a Lexmark C534n which has decided not to play ball any
>> more.

> The Kyocera using the Postscript 3 driver should work fine and allow
> duplex setting if required.

> I haven't tried the model mentioned above but have used several Kyocera
> models (not colour) with RISC OS.

> I usually use USB connection from RISC OS and network connection from
> PC. I'm sure network from RISC OS would work too.

> HTH,
> Ian

Thanks.

Re: Laser Printers

<469eb8fb59.chris@mytardis>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=411&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#411

From: lis...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:24:57 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 22:24 UTC

In message <bb36b4fb59.news@user.minijem.plus.com>
Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

> The date being 20 Jun 2022, Chris Hughes <lists@noonehere.co.uk> decided
> to write:

>> In message <213879fb59.news@user.minijem.plus.com>
>> Richard Porter <ricp@minijem.plus.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> Since they both support Postscript 3 and PCL 5 and 6 no need to do PDF via
>> FTP, just print vai the RISC OS drivers across the network.

> I do that too. Currently if I need to print a PDF file that someone has
> sent me it's just as easy to throw it at the printer via FTPc.

Out of interest why? I just ask PDF to print the file as normal via the
PS3 driver.

>>> According to the specs there shouldn't be a problem. Duplex isn't
>>> essential. I can't see how you would control duplex printing from RO but
>>> presumably you can select it on the printer.

>> Get the either the Duplex PCL or Duplex Postscript drives done by Richard
>> Darby available via !Store - they are Free, then you can do all your
>> duplex and colour etc from the RISC OS side of things.

> Thanks. I wasn't aware of that one.

>> I use a Kycocera Mono laser duplex with the Postscript 3 drivers works
>> very well across the network.

> I can remember using a Kyocera printer at work many years ago. It had its
> own page description language, "Prescribe".

Thats is Kyocera version of Postscript, saves on the licence fees to fro
Postscript!!

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Laser Printers

<bfc040fd59.news@user.minijem.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=412&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#412

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
From: ric...@minijem.plus.com (Richard Porter)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 22:48:06 +0100
 by: Richard Porter - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 21:48 UTC

The date being 20 Jun 2022, Chris Hughes <lists@noonehere.co.uk> decided
to write:

>>> Since they both support Postscript 3 and PCL 5 and 6 no need to do PDF via
>>> FTP, just print vai the RISC OS drivers across the network.

>> I do that too. Currently if I need to print a PDF file that someone has
>> sent me it's just as easy to throw it at the printer via FTPc.

> Out of interest why? I just ask PDF to print the file as normal via the
> PS3 driver.

If the document is open I do that. If I have no need to view the document
before printing it then I just drag it to FTPc (the printer is in the User
menu). Also I guess I have more confidence in the printer rendering all
the fonts correctly, which may or may not be justified.
--
Richard Porter