"In the long run, every program becomes rococo, and then rubble." -- Alan Perlis

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TV

SubjectAuthor
* Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TVBoris
`* Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TVVanguardLH
 +* Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TVPeter
 |`- Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TVBoris
 `- Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TVBoris

1
Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TV

<XnsAF2DD4A498CBBBorisinvalidinvalid@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=408&group=alt.online-service.comcast#408

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TV
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 03:54:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 03:54 UTC

I got TV and internet (X1) about a year ago. I set up the Xfinity provided
remote control to mock my TV's remote. That is, to turn the TV on and off,
and to control volume.

I got a new TV, and now the Xfinity remote will no longer adjust volume or
turn the TV/Xfinity box on or off. I have to use both remotes now.

How do I reset the Xfinity remote to now work with the new TV? I can't
figure this out.

Thanks.

Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TV

<on402w9oz857$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=409&group=alt.online-service.comcast#409

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TV
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 03:16:11 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:16 UTC

Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I got TV and internet (X1) about a year ago. I set up the Xfinity
> provided remote control to mock my TV's remote. That is, to turn the
> TV on and off, and to control volume.
>
> I got a new TV, and now the Xfinity remote will no longer adjust
> volume or turn the TV/Xfinity box on or off. I have to use both
> remotes now.
>
> How do I reset the Xfinity remote to now work with the new TV? I
> can't figure this out.

Didn't the Xfinity remote come in a plastic wrap package with remote,
batteries, and an instruction foldout? The codes you need to mate the
remote to the TV are listed in the foldout along with what buttons to
press on the remote and what to see happen to the LED on the remote.

When I was last doing this, I kept mistaking which button to press to
put the remote into programming mode. I was pressing some button at the
top instead of the Setup button at the bottom.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/programming-your-xfinity-remote
(found using Google search on "xfinity x1 remote instructions")

That is for their voice remote.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-controls

That shows their several remote models. Instructions probably differ
based on which model you have.

Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TV

<ti6r18$10ub$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=410&group=alt.online-service.comcast#410

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:46:31 -0400
 by: Peter - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:46 UTC

On 10/12/2022 4:16 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I got TV and internet (X1) about a year ago. I set up the Xfinity
>> provided remote control to mock my TV's remote. That is, to turn the
>> TV on and off, and to control volume.
>>
>> I got a new TV, and now the Xfinity remote will no longer adjust
>> volume or turn the TV/Xfinity box on or off. I have to use both
>> remotes now.
>>
>> How do I reset the Xfinity remote to now work with the new TV? I
>> can't figure this out.
>
> Didn't the Xfinity remote come in a plastic wrap package with remote,
> batteries, and an instruction foldout? The codes you need to mate the
> remote to the TV are listed in the foldout along with what buttons to
> press on the remote and what to see happen to the LED on the remote.
>
> When I was last doing this, I kept mistaking which button to press to
> put the remote into programming mode. I was pressing some button at the
> top instead of the Setup button at the bottom.
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/programming-your-xfinity-remote
> (found using Google search on "xfinity x1 remote instructions")
>
> That is for their voice remote.
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-controls
>
> That shows their several remote models. Instructions probably differ
> based on which model you have.

The OP said he got a new TV but apparently is using the same remote and
the same X1 box. If that's the case, and he's selected the correct HDMI
input using the TV's remote, he should see the output of the box on the
TV's screen. At that point, he should press the Xfinity button on the
remote. That should bring up a menu of choices horizontally along the
bottom of the TV screen. Cursor key to the gear logo and press the OK
button on the remote. Cursor down until the Remote Settings is
highlighted and press the OK button again. Cursor down to highlight the
Voice Remote Pairing and press OK. Follow onscreen instructions.

This should do it because on the instruction sheet that came with my
remote, the text reads, "You'll need to program your voice remote to
control your TV and/or audio receiver's power, volume, and input. To do
this, go to Remote Settings on X1."

Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TV

<XnsAF2E86749D5D0Borisinvalidinvalid@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=411&group=alt.online-service.comcast#411

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:13:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:13 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:on402w9oz857$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I got TV and internet (X1) about a year ago. I set up the Xfinity
>> provided remote control to mock my TV's remote. That is, to turn the
>> TV on and off, and to control volume.
>>
>> I got a new TV, and now the Xfinity remote will no longer adjust
>> volume or turn the TV/Xfinity box on or off. I have to use both
>> remotes now.
>>
>> How do I reset the Xfinity remote to now work with the new TV? I
>> can't figure this out.
>
> Didn't the Xfinity remote come in a plastic wrap package with remote,
> batteries, and an instruction foldout? The codes you need to mate the
> remote to the TV are listed in the foldout along with what buttons to
> press on the remote and what to see happen to the LED on the remote.
>
> When I was last doing this, I kept mistaking which button to press to
> put the remote into programming mode. I was pressing some button at
> the top instead of the Setup button at the bottom.
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/programming-your-xfinity-remot
> e (found using Google search on "xfinity x1 remote instructions")
>
> That is for their voice remote.
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-controls
>
> That shows their several remote models. Instructions probably differ
> based on which model you have.

I have the XR11 remote, and the above instructions, do work.
Thanks.

Re: Synch Xfinity Remote (Again) with New TV

<XnsAF2E87A9BA43EBorisinvalidinvalid@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=412&group=alt.online-service.comcast#412

From: Bor...@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:20:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:20 UTC

Peter <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote in

> On 10/12/2022 4:16 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Boris <Boris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I got TV and internet (X1) about a year ago. I set up the Xfinity
>>> provided remote control to mock my TV's remote. That is, to turn
>>> the TV on and off, and to control volume.
>>>
>>> I got a new TV, and now the Xfinity remote will no longer adjust
>>> volume or turn the TV/Xfinity box on or off. I have to use both
>>> remotes now.
>>>
>>> How do I reset the Xfinity remote to now work with the new TV? I
>>> can't figure this out.
>>
>> Didn't the Xfinity remote come in a plastic wrap package with remote,
>> batteries, and an instruction foldout? The codes you need to mate
>> the remote to the TV are listed in the foldout along with what
>> buttons to press on the remote and what to see happen to the LED on
>> the remote.
>>
>> When I was last doing this, I kept mistaking which button to press to
>> put the remote into programming mode. I was pressing some button at
>> the top instead of the Setup button at the bottom.
>>
>> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/programming-your-xfinity-remo
>> te (found using Google search on "xfinity x1 remote instructions")
>>
>> That is for their voice remote.
>>
>> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-controls
>>
>> That shows their several remote models. Instructions probably differ
>> based on which model you have.
>
> The OP said he got a new TV but apparently is using the same remote
> and the same X1 box.

Exactly.

If that's the case, and he's selected the correct HDMI
> input using the TV's remote, he should see the output of the box on
> the TV's screen. At that point, he should press the Xfinity button on
> the remote. That should bring up a menu of choices horizontally along
> the bottom of the TV screen. Cursor key to the gear logo and press
> the OK button on the remote. Cursor down until the Remote Settings is
> highlighted and press the OK button again. Cursor down to highlight
> the Voice Remote Pairing and press OK. Follow onscreen instructions.
>
> This should do it because on the instruction sheet that came with my
> remote, the text reads, "You'll need to program your voice remote to
> control your TV and/or audio receiver's power, volume, and input. To
> do this, go to Remote Settings on X1."

I first went Remote Settings, but didn't try Voice Remote Pairing,
because the Voice commands were working. This time, I opened up the
Voice Remote Pairing and followed the instructions. It was the second
5-digit code that worked.

So, both VanguardLH's and your instructions solved this.

(I also asked on the Xfinity forums, but no one has replied.)

Thanks.