To be a kind of moral Unix, he touched the hem of Nature's shift. -- Shelley

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Network Discovery keeps turning off

SubjectAuthor
* Network Discovery keeps turning offEGK
`* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offPaul
 `* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offEGK
  `* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offKenW
   `* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offPaul
    `* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offEGK
     +* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offKenW
     |`* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offEGK
     | +* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offPaul
     | |+* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offEGK
     | ||`* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
     | || `* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offPaul
     | ||  `* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offEGK
     | ||   +- Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offChar Jackson
     | ||   +* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
     | ||   |`* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offPaul
     | ||   | `- Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
     | ||   `* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offPaul
     | ||    `- Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
     | |`- Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
     | `- Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offKenW
     `* Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offPaul
      `- Re: Network Discovery keeps turning offEGK

1
Network Discovery keeps turning off

<n3ssri5sj0ot5j7g818ms46h89ln06mjbv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4119&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4119

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Network Discovery keeps turning off
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 12:00:55 -0500
 by: EGK - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:00 UTC

Has anyone seen this or found a fix for it? I have a laptop and a desktop
that run windows 11. On the desktop, Network discover keeps on turning
itself off. I've checked the usual things like making sure function
discovery resource publication, DNS, Upnp and SSDP discovery are all running
in services. I reboot the system and go to settings/network and internet,
advanced settings and the toggle for network discovery is turned off again.

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upm6kn$396r7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4123&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4123

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:11:02 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:11 UTC

On 2/3/2024 12:00 PM, EGK wrote:
> Has anyone seen this or found a fix for it? I have a laptop and a desktop
> that run windows 11. On the desktop, Network discover keeps on turning
> itself off. I've checked the usual things like making sure function
> discovery resource publication, DNS, Upnp and SSDP discovery are all running
> in services. I reboot the system and go to settings/network and internet,
> advanced settings and the toggle for network discovery is turned off again.

https://www.howtogeek.com/833739/how-to-fix-the-network-discovery-is-turned-off-error-on-windows/

DNSCache

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-network-discovery-keeps-turning-itself/00d512b2-1515-4d11-bd77-5f8a681928e1

There isn't a particularly good reason for W10 and W11 to differ
on the networking stack.

Paul

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<8sgtri9ide5orpusjqfavsbo6hgkvkks1u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4126&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4126

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 17:53:34 -0500
 by: EGK - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 22:53 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:11:02 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/3/2024 12:00 PM, EGK wrote:
>> Has anyone seen this or found a fix for it? I have a laptop and a desktop
>> that run windows 11. On the desktop, Network discover keeps on turning
>> itself off. I've checked the usual things like making sure function
>> discovery resource publication, DNS, Upnp and SSDP discovery are all running
>> in services. I reboot the system and go to settings/network and internet,
>> advanced settings and the toggle for network discovery is turned off again.
>>

>https://www.howtogeek.com/833739/how-to-fix-the-network-discovery-is-turned-off-error-on-windows/
>
>DNSCache
>
>https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-network-discovery-keeps-turning-itself/00d512b2-1515-4d11-bd77-5f8a681928e1
>
>There isn't a particularly good reason for W10 and W11 to differ
>on the networking stack.
>
> Paul

Thanks, Paul
I had already tried all the things in the first link. I tried changing the
registry setting for dnscache in the second link and immediately on reboot,
Network discovery was turned off again.

I think it's something in a recent update. A lot of updates screw with the
network and it seems like it's been that way forever.

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<amktril5csl31qbp6dan5d76livhgo3m05@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4128&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4128

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 16:58:34 -0700
 by: KenW - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 23:58 UTC

Try a repair reinstall. Cured a weird problem last week for me.

>On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:11:02 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 2/3/2024 12:00 PM, EGK wrote:
>>> Has anyone seen this or found a fix for it? I have a laptop and a desktop
>>> that run windows 11. On the desktop, Network discover keeps on turning
>>> itself off. I've checked the usual things like making sure function
>>> discovery resource publication, DNS, Upnp and SSDP discovery are all running
>>> in services. I reboot the system and go to settings/network and internet,
>>> advanced settings and the toggle for network discovery is turned off again.
>>>

>>https://www.howtogeek.com/833739/how-to-fix-the-network-discovery-is-turned-off-error-on-windows/
>>
>>DNSCache
>>
>>https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-network-discovery-keeps-turning-itself/00d512b2-1515-4d11-bd77-5f8a681928e1
>>
>>There isn't a particularly good reason for W10 and W11 to differ
>>on the networking stack.
>>
>> Paul
>
>Thanks, Paul
>I had already tried all the things in the first link. I tried changing the
>registry setting for dnscache in the second link and immediately on reboot,
>Network discovery was turned off again.
>
>I think it's something in a recent update. A lot of updates screw with the
>network and it seems like it's been that way forever.

KenW

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upmrnm$3c93c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4130&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4130

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:11:00 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:11 UTC

On 2/3/2024 6:58 PM, KenW wrote:
> Try a repair reinstall. Cured a weird problem last week for me.
>
> KenW

Agreed. That's worked for me. On more than one occasion.

Backup first.

Right-click the ISO9660 you downloaded, select "Mount"
(or select "Open" while inside Explorer). Run Setup.exe on the virtual
DVD drive that opens. A Repair Install, "keeps all user data and programs".

If you are dis-satisfied with the results, restore from backup in the first step.

*******

As an example of a network weirdness here, A Realtek network driver that's
been working for about 18 months, the traffic on the port would stop after
about two minutes. I tried everything to fix that. I did a Repair Install.
That didn't fix it either. Eventually, I bought an Intel NIC and put that
in my desktop, and it's been "fixed" ever since. The RealTek NIC is switched
off in the BIOS now, so it's completely invisible.

Paul

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<l8kvrit4qopvt8v57jj36keu44ddo94c72@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4139&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4139

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:07:14 -0500
 by: EGK - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:07 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:11:00 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/3/2024 6:58 PM, KenW wrote:
>> Try a repair reinstall. Cured a weird problem last week for me.
>>
>> KenW
>
>Agreed. That's worked for me. On more than one occasion.
>
>Backup first.
>
>Right-click the ISO9660 you downloaded, select "Mount"
>(or select "Open" while inside Explorer). Run Setup.exe on the virtual
>DVD drive that opens. A Repair Install, "keeps all user data and programs".
>
>If you are dis-satisfied with the results, restore from backup in the first step.
>
>*******
>
>As an example of a network weirdness here, A Realtek network driver that's
>been working for about 18 months, the traffic on the port would stop after
>about two minutes. I tried everything to fix that. I did a Repair Install.
>That didn't fix it either. Eventually, I bought an Intel NIC and put that
>in my desktop, and it's been "fixed" ever since. The RealTek NIC is switched
>off in the BIOS now, so it's completely invisible.

Tried that and the "save files and apps" was greyed out. The only option I
got was to save "nothing". I double checked that I had downloaded the
correct language version and even downloaded the .iso file a second time.
Same result.

I tried some "fixes" I found online and got sidetracked trying to delete the
windows.old(1) folder. nothing I did even in power shell worked.

I said to hell with more Microsoft aggravation and went back to my backup of
the original windows 10 install. My verdict is Windows 11 is a piece of
junk and should hever been released. It will never be fixed as Microsoft
has already movied on to working on windows 12 to incorpirate ever more AI
that nobody really wants..

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<hlmvrid3spsg0vkklndgn5ds9fmo8ugamt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4141&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4141

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 11:43:38 -0700
 by: KenW - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:43 UTC

Nothing wrong with 11 if you do not screw it up.

>On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:11:00 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 2/3/2024 6:58 PM, KenW wrote:
>>> Try a repair reinstall. Cured a weird problem last week for me.
>>>
>>> KenW
>>
>>Agreed. That's worked for me. On more than one occasion.
>>
>>Backup first.
>>
>>Right-click the ISO9660 you downloaded, select "Mount"
>>(or select "Open" while inside Explorer). Run Setup.exe on the virtual
>>DVD drive that opens. A Repair Install, "keeps all user data and programs".
>>
>>If you are dis-satisfied with the results, restore from backup in the first step.
>>
>>*******
>>
>>As an example of a network weirdness here, A Realtek network driver that's
>>been working for about 18 months, the traffic on the port would stop after
>>about two minutes. I tried everything to fix that. I did a Repair Install.
>>That didn't fix it either. Eventually, I bought an Intel NIC and put that
>>in my desktop, and it's been "fixed" ever since. The RealTek NIC is switched
>>off in the BIOS now, so it's completely invisible.
>
>Tried that and the "save files and apps" was greyed out. The only option I
>got was to save "nothing". I double checked that I had downloaded the
>correct language version and even downloaded the .iso file a second time.
>Same result.
>
>I tried some "fixes" I found online and got sidetracked trying to delete the
>windows.old(1) folder. nothing I did even in power shell worked.
>
>I said to hell with more Microsoft aggravation and went back to my backup of
>the original windows 10 install. My verdict is Windows 11 is a piece of
>junk and should hever been released. It will never be fixed as Microsoft
>has already movied on to working on windows 12 to incorpirate ever more AI
>that nobody really wants..

KenW

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<uoovrid80jguos3q6ip8q8c87f93nfmts9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4144&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4144

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 14:25:41 -0500
 by: EGK - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:25 UTC

Don't be an MS apologist unless you really don't believe updates ever break
anything.
I use the computer as a media server so nothing ever gets changed except
for updating it. It worked fine then it didnt after their latest round of
updates. I'm back to an image of windows 10 Pro which I made before
updating to windows 11. It now works as it should.

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 11:43:38 -0700, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>Nothing wrong with 11 if you do not screw it up.

>>>Agreed. That's worked for me. On more than one occasion.
>>>
>>>Backup first.
>>>
>>>Right-click the ISO9660 you downloaded, select "Mount"
>>>(or select "Open" while inside Explorer). Run Setup.exe on the virtual
>>>DVD drive that opens. A Repair Install, "keeps all user data and programs".
>>>
>>>If you are dis-satisfied with the results, restore from backup in the first step.
>>>
>>>*******
>>>
>>>As an example of a network weirdness here, A Realtek network driver that's
>>>been working for about 18 months, the traffic on the port would stop after
>>>about two minutes. I tried everything to fix that. I did a Repair Install.
>>>That didn't fix it either. Eventually, I bought an Intel NIC and put that
>>>in my desktop, and it's been "fixed" ever since. The RealTek NIC is switched
>>>off in the BIOS now, so it's completely invisible.
>>
>>Tried that and the "save files and apps" was greyed out. The only option I
>>got was to save "nothing". I double checked that I had downloaded the
>>correct language version and even downloaded the .iso file a second time.
>>Same result.
>>
>>I tried some "fixes" I found online and got sidetracked trying to delete the
>>windows.old(1) folder. nothing I did even in power shell worked.
>>
>>I said to hell with more Microsoft aggravation and went back to my backup of
>>the original windows 10 install. My verdict is Windows 11 is a piece of
>>junk and should hever been released. It will never be fixed as Microsoft
>>has already movied on to working on windows 12 to incorpirate ever more AI
>>that nobody really wants..
>

>KenW

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upp17q$3rq99$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4148&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4148

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:57:13 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:57 UTC

On 2/4/2024 1:07 PM, EGK wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:11:00 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2/3/2024 6:58 PM, KenW wrote:
>>> Try a repair reinstall. Cured a weird problem last week for me.
>>>
>>> KenW
>>
>> Agreed. That's worked for me. On more than one occasion.
>>
>> Backup first.
>>
>> Right-click the ISO9660 you downloaded, select "Mount"
>> (or select "Open" while inside Explorer). Run Setup.exe on the virtual
>> DVD drive that opens. A Repair Install, "keeps all user data and programs".
>>
>> If you are dis-satisfied with the results, restore from backup in the first step.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> As an example of a network weirdness here, A Realtek network driver that's
>> been working for about 18 months, the traffic on the port would stop after
>> about two minutes. I tried everything to fix that. I did a Repair Install.
>> That didn't fix it either. Eventually, I bought an Intel NIC and put that
>> in my desktop, and it's been "fixed" ever since. The RealTek NIC is switched
>> off in the BIOS now, so it's completely invisible.
>
> Tried that and the "save files and apps" was greyed out. The only option I
> got was to save "nothing". I double checked that I had downloaded the
> correct language version and even downloaded the .iso file a second time.
> Same result.
>
> I tried some "fixes" I found online and got sidetracked trying to delete the
> windows.old(1) folder. nothing I did even in power shell worked.
>
> I said to hell with more Microsoft aggravation and went back to my backup of
> the original windows 10 install. My verdict is Windows 11 is a piece of
> junk and should hever been released. It will never be fixed as Microsoft
> has already movied on to working on windows 12 to incorpirate ever more AI
> that nobody really wants..

Cleanmgr.exe , then "Clean up system files" near the bottom,
it has an entry for Windows.old when it is present. Please allow
time for the scan to complete. Look for a flashing icon in the
task bar while waiting.

Do not try to delete Windows.old by hand. A couple versions of Win10
had some "magical materials" in there, which humans cannot remove. The file
names of the magical files, cannot even be copied into Thunderbird as UTF-8.
A few of the characters in the file name, have no graphical representation.
This also means you cannot copy the file name into Command Prompt.

Cleanmgr will only delete Windows.old, when "certain files" are present.
If you create c:\Windows.old and put test.txt inside it, it will
refuse to do anything, because it does not see typical system files inside.
This is also why you should not "half-delete" Windows.old and then ask
cleanmgr.exe to "finish the job for me". It won't. In a sense, this
is the same concept as a Blessed Folder on an Apple box.

Storage Sense also has file deletion capability, but that's
not recommended for humans. Deletion should almost never be automated,
because of the risk of making mistakes.

Paul

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upp2nl$3s2n2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4149&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4149

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:22:44 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:22 UTC

On 2/4/2024 2:25 PM, EGK wrote:
> Don't be an MS apologist unless you really don't believe updates ever break
> anything.
> I use the computer as a media server so nothing ever gets changed except
> for updating it. It worked fine then it didnt after their latest round of
> updates. I'm back to an image of windows 10 Pro which I made before
> updating to windows 11. It now works as it should.

We don't apologize for MS here.

We fix stuff.

We do the best we can for you.

https://i.postimg.cc/8PHDnt2b/XEyes-on-Windows11.gif

See the thread on '4441 update, to see how we work here.
Find recipe. Verify recipe.

*******

For example, someone in a Linux group asked a question, and I managed
to find this. This sets up all the partitions for a Windows install,
and can be done from the Troubleshooting section of the Windows installer DVD.

diskpart.exe # Command line equivalent of Disk Management GUI thingy.
list disk
select disk 0
clean # Make sure you're erasing the correct disk
convert gpt

create partition efi size=500 # first partition of a UEFI/GPT installation
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"

create partition msr size=16 # second partition (no file system)

create partition primary # third partition (all of disk minus system reserved)
shrink minimum=1000
format quick fs=ntfs label="Win10" # Partition may get formatted again, during install.
assign letter="W" # Assigning a letter makes it writeable

create partition primary # fourth partition (system reserved WinRE.wim emerg boot)
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"
assign letter="R" # Assigning a letter makes it writeable, letter means nothing
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001 # Yes, that's 14 zeroes.
list volume # We had to do one of these for Jan2024 Patch Tuesday

exit # Exit diskpart partitioner.
X: # Still in Command Prompt
setup.exe # Start the Windows install again (jumps out of Command Prompt)
# Click and highlight the C partition choice.

After a customized disk partition setup, from Command Prompt, this is a quick
summary of results. Gparted can shrink and move stuff on the end, as desired
for the Linux portion of Multiboot.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/3rPs7KXW/custom-custom-Win10-Pro-install.gif

Paul

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<pv20sild7a3gpq4chv6b0011dnubos7rol@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4150&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4150

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 17:30:43 -0500
 by: EGK - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:30 UTC

On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:57:13 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/4/2024 1:07 PM, EGK wrote:

>>> Agreed. That's worked for me. On more than one occasion.
>>>
>>> Backup first.
>>>
>>> Right-click the ISO9660 you downloaded, select "Mount"
>>> (or select "Open" while inside Explorer). Run Setup.exe on the virtual
>>> DVD drive that opens. A Repair Install, "keeps all user data and programs".
>>>
>>> If you are dis-satisfied with the results, restore from backup in the first step.
>>>
>>> *******
>>>
>>> As an example of a network weirdness here, A Realtek network driver that's
>>> been working for about 18 months, the traffic on the port would stop after
>>> about two minutes. I tried everything to fix that. I did a Repair Install.
>>> That didn't fix it either. Eventually, I bought an Intel NIC and put that
>>> in my desktop, and it's been "fixed" ever since. The RealTek NIC is switched
>>> off in the BIOS now, so it's completely invisible.
>>
>> Tried that and the "save files and apps" was greyed out. The only option I
>> got was to save "nothing". I double checked that I had downloaded the
>> correct language version and even downloaded the .iso file a second time.
>> Same result.
>>
>> I tried some "fixes" I found online and got sidetracked trying to delete the
>> windows.old(1) folder. nothing I did even in power shell worked.
>>
>> I said to hell with more Microsoft aggravation and went back to my backup of
>> the original windows 10 install. My verdict is Windows 11 is a piece of
>> junk and should hever been released. It will never be fixed as Microsoft
>> has already movied on to working on windows 12 to incorpirate ever more AI
>> that nobody really wants..
>>

>Cleanmgr.exe , then "Clean up system files" near the bottom,
>it has an entry for Windows.old when it is present. Please allow
>time for the scan to complete. Look for a flashing icon in the
>task bar while waiting.
>
>Do not try to delete Windows.old by hand. A couple versions of Win10
>had some "magical materials" in there, which humans cannot remove. The file
>names of the magical files, cannot even be copied into Thunderbird as UTF-8.
>A few of the characters in the file name, have no graphical representation.
>This also means you cannot copy the file name into Command Prompt.
>
>Cleanmgr will only delete Windows.old, when "certain files" are present.
>If you create c:\Windows.old and put test.txt inside it, it will
>refuse to do anything, because it does not see typical system files inside.
>This is also why you should not "half-delete" Windows.old and then ask
>cleanmgr.exe to "finish the job for me". It won't. In a sense, this
>is the same concept as a Blessed Folder on an Apple box.
>
>Storage Sense also has file deletion capability, but that's
>not recommended for humans. Deletion should almost never be automated,
>because of the risk of making mistakes.

I ran cleanmgr first and cleaned up everything. Windows.old(1) was still
there. I only tried to delete it because I thought that might be
interferring with the repair upgrade showing the "save files and apps"
greyed out.

I found a lot of posts online from people complaining that Network discovery
kept turning itself off. I kept looking on my PC and it seemed very
sporadic. LIke every other reboot. I noticed function discovery resource
publication wasn't starting sometimes but no idea why it would start on one
boot then immediately fail on the next when I went to test it.

At any rate, my Windows 10 image was only a month old as I had upgraded to
windows 11 in Dec. Windows 11 seemed fine too till this last round of
updates last week or so. I'll just stick to windows 10 for the time being.
:).

I thank you for your help.

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<vj40si9nbi2hdb2nohutjpt7pfv6e2paqh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4151&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4151

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 15:45:10 -0700
 by: KenW - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:45 UTC

From beginning, never had an update cause major problems. When I found
out about using an ISO to repair the install, that was my GOTO for any
crazy problem. At my age I hope for the best !

>Don't be an MS apologist unless you really don't believe updates ever break
>anything.
> I use the computer as a media server so nothing ever gets changed except
>for updating it. It worked fine then it didnt after their latest round of
>updates. I'm back to an image of windows 10 Pro which I made before
>updating to windows 11. It now works as it should.
>
>On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 11:43:38 -0700, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>Nothing wrong with 11 if you do not screw it up.

>>>Tried that and the "save files and apps" was greyed out. The only option I
>>>got was to save "nothing". I double checked that I had downloaded the
>>>correct language version and even downloaded the .iso file a second time.
>>>Same result.
>>>
>>>I tried some "fixes" I found online and got sidetracked trying to delete the
>>>windows.old(1) folder. nothing I did even in power shell worked.
>>>
>>>I said to hell with more Microsoft aggravation and went back to my backup of
>>>the original windows 10 install. My verdict is Windows 11 is a piece of
>>>junk and should hever been released. It will never be fixed as Microsoft
>>>has already movied on to working on windows 12 to incorpirate ever more AI
>>>that nobody really wants..
>>

>>KenW

KenW

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<pk50si1tkm5v1hi3p00vcv3vlpi67l2hbo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4152&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4152

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 18:02:52 -0500
 by: EGK - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 23:02 UTC

On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:22:44 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/4/2024 2:25 PM, EGK wrote:
>> Don't be an MS apologist unless you really don't believe updates ever break
>> anything.
>> I use the computer as a media server so nothing ever gets changed except
>> for updating it. It worked fine then it didnt after their latest round of
>> updates. I'm back to an image of windows 10 Pro which I made before
>> updating to windows 11. It now works as it should.
>
>We don't apologize for MS here.

KenW just seemed kind of condescending in assuming Windows 11 doesn't have
problems unless someone like me screws it up. That's ignoring the long list
of updates Microsoft has put out that do, indeed, break things. I used to
be a core Windows beta tester from windows98 til windows 7. I know very
well that MS fixes often require fixes.

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upprbk$5pcj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4154&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4154

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:22:58 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 05:22 UTC

Paul wrote on 2/4/24 3:22 PM:
> We fix stuff.
>
> For example,
> create partition efi size=500 # first partition of a UEFI/GPT
> shrink minimum=1000

500 for efi is fine
I use 100 - the minimum recommended and have been ever since switching
to GPT.

Also, I use 1024 for the shrink number for WinRE
- though my next Win11 wipe/clean install I might up that to 1536 or 2048

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<uppsm1$5uh6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4155&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4155

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:45:35 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 05:45 UTC

EGK wrote on 2/4/24 4:02 PM:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:22:44 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2/4/2024 2:25 PM, EGK wrote:
>>> Don't be an MS apologist unless you really don't believe updates ever break
>>> anything.
>>> I use the computer as a media server so nothing ever gets changed except
>>> for updating it. It worked fine then it didnt after their latest round of
>>> updates. I'm back to an image of windows 10 Pro which I made before
>>> updating to windows 11. It now works as it should.
>>
>> We don't apologize for MS here.
>
> KenW just seemed kind of condescending in assuming Windows 11 doesn't have
> problems unless someone like me screws it up. That's ignoring the long list
> of updates Microsoft has put out that do, indeed, break things. I used to
> be a core Windows beta tester from windows98 til windows 7. I know very
> well that MS fixes often require fixes.

That may have been the implication annd understanding...and possible

There may be similar reports of your issue with recent Win11
updates(still looking for a real cause/effect that validates) the higher
likelihood is something else is in play, not necessarily the update.

Also, it is quite rare that an admin account mounting a Win11 iso, and
running setup.exe from within the mounted iso yielded the inability to
keep programs and files.
- an update is also unlikely to cause this issue.
- this symptom is usually caused by and iso not applicable to the
current release and/or installed version; *or*
relocating/redirecting/changing permissons on Program Files, Program
Files(x86; or changes made within Program Data; or relocating userprofile
system folders(Documents, Downloads, etc) to an alternative location.

Something else(in play) with those two dissimilar(repair install, keep
programs/files)results...sounds like a permission issue and possibly even
more so if the sidetrack to delete windows.old(1)[a second version of an
existing windows.old] was an issue.

Updates do break things, yours could be, but unusual based on the
reported incidents.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upqp68$aged$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4159&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4159

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 08:52:07 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 13:52 UTC

On 2/5/2024 12:45 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> EGK wrote on 2/4/24 4:02 PM:

>>> We don't apologize for MS here.
>>
>> KenW just seemed kind of condescending in assuming Windows 11 doesn't have
>> problems unless someone like me screws it up.  That's ignoring the long list
>> of updates Microsoft has put out that do, indeed, break things.   I used to
>> be a core Windows beta tester from windows98 til windows 7.  I know very
>> well that MS fixes often require fixes.
>>

> That may have been the implication annd understanding...and possible
>
> There may be similar reports of your issue with recent Win11 updates(still looking for a real cause/effect that validates) the higher likelihood is something else is in play, not necessarily the update.
>
> Also, it is quite rare that an admin account mounting a Win11 iso, and running setup.exe from within the mounted iso yielded the inability to keep programs and files.
>  - an update is also unlikely to cause this issue.
>  - this symptom is usually caused by and iso not applicable to the current release and/or installed version; *or* relocating/redirecting/changing permissons on Program Files, Program Files(x86; or changes made within Program Data; or relocating userprofile system folders(Documents, Downloads, etc) to an alternative location.
>
> Something else(in play) with those two dissimilar(repair install, keep programs/files)results...sounds like a permission issue and possibly even more so if the sidetrack to delete windows.old(1)[a second version of an existing windows.old] was an issue.
>
> Updates do break things, yours could be, but unusual based on the reported incidents.

7-ZIP from 7-zip.org can determine DVD version, as an inspection tool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Zip

A particular XML file, inside the sources\install file, is the manifest.
Even if the version isn't entirely what you might expect :-)

*******

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/Pxc2L9BV/DVD-version-versus-OS-version.gif

*******

Windows 10 had x86 and x64 versions installed on the disk drive.

Whereas Windows 11 is available in x64 only, so "upgrade install"
is not available from the x86 version.

Paul

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<tst1si5vb2423lf432la9argvlcp2m00v8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4160&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4160

From: memys...@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 10:24:09 -0500
References: <n3ssri5sj0ot5j7g818ms46h89ln06mjbv@4ax.com> <upm6kn$396r7$1@dont-email.me> <8sgtri9ide5orpusjqfavsbo6hgkvkks1u@4ax.com> <amktril5csl31qbp6dan5d76livhgo3m05@4ax.com> <upmrnm$3c93c$1@dont-email.me> <l8kvrit4qopvt8v57jj36keu44ddo94c72@4ax.com> <hlmvrid3spsg0vkklndgn5ds9fmo8ugamt@4ax.com> <uoovrid80jguos3q6ip8q8c87f93nfmts9@4ax.com> <upp2nl$3s2n2$1@dont-email.me> <pk50si1tkm5v1hi3p00vcv3vlpi67l2hbo@4ax.com> <uppsm1$5uh6$1@dont-email.me> <upqp68$aged$1@dont-email.me>
 by: EGK - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 15:24 UTC

On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 08:52:07 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/5/2024 12:45 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> EGK wrote on 2/4/24 4:02 PM:

>>> KenW just seemed kind of condescending in assuming Windows 11 doesn't have
>>> problems unless someone like me screws it up.  That's ignoring the long list
>>> of updates Microsoft has put out that do, indeed, break things.   I used to
>>> be a core Windows beta tester from windows98 til windows 7.  I know very
>>> well that MS fixes often require fixes.
>>>

>> That may have been the implication annd understanding...and possible
>>
>> There may be similar reports of your issue with recent Win11 updates(still looking for a real cause/effect that validates) the higher likelihood is something else is in play, not necessarily the update.
>>
>> Also, it is quite rare that an admin account mounting a Win11 iso, and running setup.exe from within the mounted iso yielded the inability to keep programs and files.
>>  - an update is also unlikely to cause this issue.
>>  - this symptom is usually caused by and iso not applicable to the current release and/or installed version; *or* relocating/redirecting/changing permissons on Program Files, Program Files(x86; or changes made within Program Data; or relocating userprofile system folders(Documents, Downloads, etc) to an alternative location.
>>
>> Something else(in play) with those two dissimilar(repair install, keep programs/files)results...sounds like a permission issue and possibly even more so if the sidetrack to delete windows.old(1)[a second version of an existing windows.old] was an issue.
>>
>> Updates do break things, yours could be, but unusual based on the reported incidents.
>>

>7-ZIP from 7-zip.org can determine DVD version, as an inspection tool.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Zip
>
>A particular XML file, inside the sources\install file, is the manifest.
>Even if the version isn't entirely what you might expect :-)
>
>*******
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Pxc2L9BV/DVD-version-versus-OS-version.gif
>
>*******
>
>Windows 10 had x86 and x64 versions installed on the disk drive.
>
>Whereas Windows 11 is available in x64 only, so "upgrade install"
>is not available from the x86 version.

I had two different issues. The Network discovery not staying on in between
reboots is the one I believe a recent update caused. I had no problem with
it for weeks before that.

As for upgrading, one reason for not offering to save files and programs is
if you try to upgrade and your current version of windows is detected as
newer than what's on the iso.

This system I was working on is one I upgraded in Demember, 2023 from
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit. When I did the initial upgrade, I did get the option
to save all files and programs which I did. The only thing the PC is used
for is as a media server. Nothing had been done to it since the upgradet to
windows 11 except to install updates. There were some big ones in January.
I tried your advice to do a repair install with a newly downloaded 64bit,
US English (as per winver) iso file from Microsoft's site. That's when I
saw the save files/folders option was greyed out. The only option I had
was to save "nothing". I ended up returning to the file image of Windows10
I made in December before the upgrade. I could likely so an upgrade from
Windows 10 again now and it might fix the original problem but after all
that, i decided to leave it alone. Windows10 doesn't have the issue of
turning off Network discovery. :)

Microsoft has taken to installing very large or even whole new OS versions
through windows update so the only thing I can think is the setup saw my
install of Windows 11 as newer than the one I was trying to install from the
iso file.

I have to say, I'm not hating on windows 11. I run it on my laptop that came
with it. Upgrades, on the other hand, can often be problematic.

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<hgf2si9mv5jvu2417tkleuj4lucg5hk3s0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4162&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4162

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
References: <upm6kn$396r7$1@dont-email.me> <8sgtri9ide5orpusjqfavsbo6hgkvkks1u@4ax.com> <amktril5csl31qbp6dan5d76livhgo3m05@4ax.com> <upmrnm$3c93c$1@dont-email.me> <l8kvrit4qopvt8v57jj36keu44ddo94c72@4ax.com> <hlmvrid3spsg0vkklndgn5ds9fmo8ugamt@4ax.com> <uoovrid80jguos3q6ip8q8c87f93nfmts9@4ax.com> <upp2nl$3s2n2$1@dont-email.me> <pk50si1tkm5v1hi3p00vcv3vlpi67l2hbo@4ax.com> <uppsm1$5uh6$1@dont-email.me> <upqp68$aged$1@dont-email.me> <tst1si5vb2423lf432la9argvlcp2m00v8@4ax.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 14:04:26 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:04 UTC

On Mon, 05 Feb 2024 10:24:09 -0500, EGK <memyself@null.net> wrote:

>This system I was working on is one I upgraded in Demember, 2023 from
>Windows 10 Pro, 64bit. When I did the initial upgrade, I did get the option
>to save all files and programs which I did. The only thing the PC is used
>for is as a media server.

Does it need Internet access then? If yes, ignore the rest of this. If no,
consider removing Internet access and just let it operate on your LAN. You can
do that quite easily by configuring a static IP address and netmask, and leaving
the gateway IP address blank. The attack surface of a PC is reduced
substantially if the system is not allowed to have Internet access. As a result,
OS updates could become less important.

> Nothing had been done to it since the upgradet to
>windows 11 except to install updates. There were some big ones in January.
> I tried your advice to do a repair install with a newly downloaded 64bit,
>US English (as per winver) iso file from Microsoft's site. That's when I
>saw the save files/folders option was greyed out. The only option I had
>was to save "nothing". I ended up returning to the file image of Windows10
>I made in December before the upgrade. I could likely so an upgrade from
>Windows 10 again now and it might fix the original problem but after all
>that, i decided to leave it alone. Windows10 doesn't have the issue of
>turning off Network discovery. :)
>
>Microsoft has taken to installing very large or even whole new OS versions
>through windows update so the only thing I can think is the setup saw my
>install of Windows 11 as newer than the one I was trying to install from the
>iso file.
>
>I have to say, I'm not hating on windows 11. I run it on my laptop that came
>with it. Upgrades, on the other hand, can often be problematic.

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<uprgbb$eoev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4163&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4163

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 13:27:21 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:27 UTC

EGK wrote on 2/5/24 8:24 AM:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 08:52:07 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> That may have been the implication annd understanding...and possible
>>>
>>> There may be similar reports of your issue with recent Win11 updates(still looking for a real cause/effect that validates) the higher likelihood is something else is in play, not necessarily the update.
>>>
>>> Also, it is quite rare that an admin account mounting a Win11 iso, and running setup.exe from within the mounted iso yielded the inability to keep programs and files.
>>>  - an update is also unlikely to cause this issue.
>>>  - this symptom is usually caused by and iso not applicable to the current release and/or installed version; *or* relocating/redirecting/changing permissons on Program Files, Program Files(x86; or changes made within Program Data; or relocating userprofile system folders(Documents, Downloads, etc) to an alternative location.
>>>
>>> Something else(in play) with those two dissimilar(repair install, keep programs/files)results...sounds like a permission issue and possibly even more so if the sidetrack to delete windows.old(1)[a second version of an existing windows.old] was an issue.
>>>
>>> Updates do break things, yours could be, but unusual based on the reported incidents.
>>>

>> 7-ZIP from 7-zip.org can determine DVD version, as an inspection tool.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Zip
>>
>> A particular XML file, inside the sources\install file, is the manifest.
>> Even if the version isn't entirely what you might expect :-)
>>
>> *******
>>
>> [Picture]
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/Pxc2L9BV/DVD-version-versus-OS-version.gif
>>
>> *******
>>
>> Windows 10 had x86 and x64 versions installed on the disk drive.
>>
>> Whereas Windows 11 is available in x64 only, so "upgrade install"
>> is not available from the x86 version.
>
> I had two different issues. The Network discovery not staying on in between
> reboots is the one I believe a recent update caused. I had no problem with
> it for weeks before that.
>
> As for upgrading, one reason for not offering to save files and programs is
> if you try to upgrade and your current version of windows is detected as
> newer than what's on the iso.

More information needed to validate 'that' reason.
Windows 11 installed version (22H2, 23H2)?

Going back in time
The Win10 version in use when performing a Win10 to Win11 upgrade can
make a difference and dependent upon multiple/possible variables.
- Win10 22H2 or 21H2 - installed version
- Win10 22H2 or 21H2 - build version 19045 or 19044
- Win10 22H2 or 21H2 - subbuild version - 3693
- Win10 22H2 or 21H2 - Servicing stack - 3745

> This system I was working on is one I upgraded in Demember, 2023 from
> Windows 10 Pro, 64bit. When I did the initial upgrade, I did get the option
> to save all files and programs which I did. The only thing the PC is used
> for is as a media server. Nothing had been done to it since the upgradet to
> windows 11 except to install updates. There were some big ones in January.

Windows 11 January update was less than 600 MB via Windows update and 638
MB for the stand-alone MSFT Catalog available Jan. update.
- Quite small

> I tried your advice to do a repair install with a newly downloaded 64bit,
> US English (as per winver) iso file from Microsoft's site. That's when I

The Iso file from MSFT site for Win11 is 23H2
Two slightly different ISO's are available
- Direct ISO download 6.34 GB
- MCT created ISO 5.37 GB
=> Setup.exe on each is the same release version and date 22621.1, Dec 4th.
=> Different install.* files. The former has install.wim, the latter
install.esd (and each with different sizes)

> saw the save files/folders option was greyed out. The only option I had
> was to save "nothing". I ended up returning to the file image of Windows10
> I made in December before the upgrade.
Since this was restored("returned to the file image of Windows 10 in
December") what build and version ?
- if not updated through Jan, the the build/version of the image
depends upon when the image was created in December(before or after
installing a December update - Cumulative or Cumulative Preview)

> I could likely do an upgrade from Windows 10 again
> now and it might fix the original problem but after all
> that, i decided to leave it alone. Windows10 doesn't have the issue of
> turning off Network discovery. :)
>
> Microsoft has taken to installing very large or even whole new OS versions
> through windows update so the only thing I can think is the setup saw my
> install of Windows 11 as newer than the one I was trying to install from the
> iso file.

Large updates via Windows Update are only feature updates deployed once
per year in the fall(e.g. 23H2, 22H2). Monthly updates are small.

> I have to say, I'm not hating on windows 11. I run it on my laptop that came
> with it. Upgrades, on the other hand, can often be problematic.

As noted earlier, updates can create problems, but there is so much
unknown information(provided in earlier posts/replies) it is/was more
likely something else was in play to cause the network discovery issue.

You might try upgrading to Win11 in the future.
If so, feel free to report the Win10 version, build information and the
intended method to upgrade 10 to 11(Windows Update, Update Assistant, MCT
created media[USB or IS0], stand-alone ISO.

Good luck.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upsro7$qc6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4168&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4168

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 03:48:04 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:48 UTC

On 2/5/2024 3:27 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> [...]
>> install of Windows 11 as newer than the one I was trying to install from the
>> iso file.
>
> Large updates via Windows Update are only feature updates deployed once per year in the fall(e.g. 23H2, 22H2). Monthly updates are small.
>>
>> I have to say, I'm not hating on windows 11. I run it on my laptop that came
>> with it.   Upgrades, on the other hand,  can often be problematic.
>>

> As noted earlier, updates can create problems, but there is so much unknown information(provided in earlier posts/replies) it is/was more likely something else was in play to cause the network discovery issue.
>
> You might try upgrading to Win11 in the future.
> If so, feel free to report the Win10 version, build information and the intended method to upgrade 10 to 11(Windows Update, Update Assistant, MCT created media[USB or IS0], stand-alone ISO.

One thing I'm not able to do here, is get the Winver to show 22631
on my Win11 Home x64. I can have Copilot trial on the taskbar (which
suggests enablement), but it still shows 22621.3007 (KB5034123 cumulative 2024-01)

I tried taking a storage device that's been offline for a while, which
had an old image of the current OS, and updated it, and the same
thing happened. Refused to go to 22631. But it also did not get
the CoPilot icon on the taskbar. I used the DVD on it, once the
base OS was up to date, because the download of 22H2 was taking too long.

Generally speaking, the "version control is sucking".

Shipping a 22621 DVD when the intent is 22631, is the height of foolishness
from a version control and file stamping perspective. If the
intent was to make a new version of DVD and call it "23H2", then
the DVD should *unconditionally* go to 22631... and stop wasting my
time. I wasted all day today on this.

Windows Update just seems to randomly select Cumulatives,
and it was fixated on 2023-10 for most of the day. What good
are "Cumulative" if they are not Cumulative ? Why did the thing
not install 2024-01 as a Cumulative, as it has accumulated
all changes to date, and would bring the machine up to date
in one 700MB chunk.

Yes, I know, SSU bundled with Cumulatives. Very clever.

Paul

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<uptan8$t1fo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4169&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4169

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 06:03:34 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 13:03 UTC

Paul wrote on 2/6/24 1:48 AM:

> One thing I'm not able to do here, is get the Winver to show 22631
> on my Win11 Home x64. I can have Copilot trial on the taskbar (which
> suggests enablement), but it still shows 22621.3007 (KB5034123 cumulative 2024-01)
CoPilot was included in 22621.2506

> I tried taking a storage device that's been offline for a while, which
> had an old image of the current OS, and updated it, and the same
> thing happened. Refused to go to 22631. But it also did not get
> the CoPilot icon on the taskbar. I used the DVD on it, once the
> base OS was up to date, because the download of 22H2 was taking too long.

What was the version of the 'old image'.
When was the DVD created?

> Generally speaking, the "version control is sucking".

That's always been confusing with 22H2 and 23H2 sharing the same core
system files.

> Shipping a 22621 DVD when the intent is 22631, is the height of foolishness
> from a version control and file stamping perspective. If the
> intent was to make a new version of DVD and call it "23H2", then
> the DVD should *unconditionally* go to 22631... and stop wasting my
> time. I wasted all day today on this.
>
> Windows Update just seems to randomly select Cumulatives,
> and it was fixated on 2023-10 for most of the day. What good
> are "Cumulative" if they are not Cumulative ? Why did the thing
> not install 2024-01 as a Cumulative, as it has accumulated
> all changes to date, and would bring the machine up to date
> in one 700MB chunk.

?
You previously said 'it shows 22621.3007'
.3007 is 2024-01's update

> Yes, I know, SSU bundled with Cumulatives. Very clever.

Current SSU for 22H2 and 23H2
- 22621.2567 and 22631.2567
Released Nov. 2023.
The next version(for both 22H2 and 23H2) .3073 is included in the Jan.
23, 2024 Preview KB5034204.
- if not updated, the Feb cumulative should have the same SSU version.

w/r to upgrading 22H2 to 23H2(22621 to 22631)
- afiak you have multiple options
Windows Update - if 23H2 is being offered
1. Online Upgrade Assistant for *23H2*
2. MCT USB - install.esd
3. MCT ISO - install.esd
4. Download ISO - install.wim

If it were me and having failures going from 22621(22H2) to 23621(23H2)
- after creating an image with System/MSR/Windows/WnRE, I'd try (1) or (4)
...but for (4) would *not* just mount the ISO and run setup.exe', but
would mount the ISO, copy the entire folders/files to a new created
folder on the C:\ drive (e.g. C:\23H2Iso), then run setup.exe.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upv7a9$1ajt6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4179&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4179

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:17:42 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 06:17 UTC

On 2/5/2024 10:24 AM, EGK wrote:
> [...]
> US English (as per winver) iso file from Microsoft's site. That's when I
> saw the save files/folders option was greyed out. The only option I had
> was to save "nothing". I ended up returning to the file image of Windows10
> I made in December before the upgrade. I could likely so an upgrade from
> Windows 10 again now and it might fix the original problem but after all
> that, i decided to leave it alone. Windows10 doesn't have the issue of
> turning off Network discovery. :)
>
> Microsoft has taken to installing very large or even whole new OS versions
> through windows update so the only thing I can think is the setup saw my
> install of Windows 11 as newer than the one I was trying to install from the
> iso file.
>
> I have to say, I'm not hating on windows 11. I run it on my laptop that came
> with it. Upgrades, on the other hand, can often be problematic.

OK, I tested Repair Install on Windows 11, and it does do the right thing.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/Prwj5kDy/DVD-works-OK-repair-install-22631-winver.gif

*******

My OS was at 22621.3007 and I couldn't get it to read 22631.

I installed this. Then winver gives 22631, ready for the Repair Install experiment.

That might be an enablement file for 23H2. Double click to install, as it's a .msu file.

https://catalog.sf.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/caa3ff4a-6420-4341-aeae-33b2d7f463be/public/windows11.0-kb5027397-x64_3a9c368e239bb928c32a790cf1663338d2cad472.msu

Name: windows11.0-kb5027397-x64_3a9c368e239bb928c32a790cf1663338d2cad472.msu
Size: 183,623 bytes (179 KiB)
SHA256: 762DE31B92E0FD2DC2F4E16D9F86778C46FC2B1D19A1772F3E842F8F1AC3366B

Paul

Re: Network Discovery keeps turning off

<upv9i1$1asog$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4180&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4180

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:56:01 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 06:56 UTC

Paul wrote on 2/6/24 11:17 PM:
> [...]
>>

> OK, I tested Repair Install on Windows 11, and it does do the right thing.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Prwj5kDy/DVD-works-OK-repair-install-22631-winver.gif
>
> *******
>
> My OS was at 22621.3007 and I couldn't get it to read 22631.
>
> I installed this. Then winver gives 22631, ready for the Repair Install experiment.
>
> That might be an enablement file for 23H2. Double click to install, as it's a .msu file.
>
> https://catalog.sf.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/caa3ff4a-6420-4341-aeae-33b2d7f463be/public/windows11.0-kb5027397-x64_3a9c368e239bb928c32a790cf1663338d2cad472.msu
>
> Name: windows11.0-kb5027397-x64_3a9c368e239bb928c32a790cf1663338d2cad472.msu
> Size: 183,623 bytes (179 KiB)
> SHA256: 762DE31B92E0FD2DC2F4E16D9F86778C46FC2B1D19A1772F3E842F8F1AC3366B

Correct:
KB5027397 is the Feature update to Windows 11, version 23H2 by using an
enablement package.

Welcome to 23H2 and dark-side<g>
- should still have CoPilot just like in 22621.3007 and earlier 22H2
builds(initially included in 22621.2506)

--