From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: T-Mobile US Open to Open RAN [telecom]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:09:19 +0000
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:09 UTC

By Dan Meyer

BARCELONA, Spain – T-Mobile US has been aggressive in rolling out new
technology to support its rapidly expanding 5G network, but has so far
not dipped its commercial toe into the open radio access network (RAN)
space.

Neville Ray, president of technology at T-Mobile US, explained during
a one-on-one interview at the MWC Barcelona 2023 event that the
carrier’s lack of open RAN depth is due to timing. He explained that
the technology lacked maturity when the carrier kicked off its
expansive network upgrade program.

“For us, we didn’t go down on open RAN path when we made our big
vendor decisions three years ago,” Ray said. “The pace and scale that
we were moving on, features and capabilities we needed, the ecosystem
just was not ready. And the O-RAN guys will tell you that.”

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/interview/t-mobile-us-open-to-open-ran/2023/03/

--
(Please remove QRM for direct replies)