Make sure your code does nothing gracefully.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?

SubjectAuthor
* Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?Paul
|`- Re: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?J. P. Gilliver (John)
`- Re: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?Wolffan

1
Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?

<vrwb9iXymZXiFwcZ@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4143&group=alt.windows7.general#4143

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:02:42 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:02 UTC

I recently got 27 updates! The only thing I can think of as the reason
is that I installed Microsoft Security Essentials - just out of
curiosity, after a discussion here. But a lot of them were to do with
Office 2003 and 2007 and 2010 (I'm pretty sure I don't _have_ 2010!),
which installing/enabling MSE I wouldn't have thought would have
anything to do with. (Some of them failed - one of the reasons given was
"another update is being installed, click here to try again" or
something like that, so I did, and they're now all showing as
Successful.)

Anyway, I've got the "Restart your computer to finish installing
important updates", with options of now, or remind me in 10 minutes, 1
hour, or 4 hours. Is there any way to get rid of it? I will restart one
of these days. Killing "wuauclt.exe" from Task Manager makes it
disappear, but it comes back eventually.

I asked a sample of people if they liked answering questionnaires, and 100% of
respondents said "Yes". - PMC @PmcRetired on twitter, 2020-11-18

Re: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?

<t3khoo$a29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4145&group=alt.windows7.general#4145

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:30:16 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 20:30 UTC

On 4/18/2022 1:02 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> I recently got 27 updates! The only thing I can think of as the reason is that I installed Microsoft Security Essentials - just out of curiosity, after a discussion here. But a lot of them were to do with Office 2003 and 2007 and 2010 (I'm pretty sure I don't _have_ 2010!), which installing/enabling MSE I wouldn't have thought would have anything to do with. (Some of them failed - one of the reasons given was "another update is being installed, click here to try again" or something like that, so I did, and they're now all showing as Successful.)
>
> Anyway, I've got the "Restart your computer to finish installing important updates", with options of now, or remind me in 10 minutes, 1 hour, or 4 hours. Is there any way to get rid of it? I will restart one of these days. Killing "wuauclt.exe" from Task Manager makes it disappear, but it comes back eventually.

I don't know the answer to your question.

However, you've been switched from
Windows Update to Microsoft Update and that's
why there are so many Office updates out of nowhere.

Previously, you weren't running Microsoft Update,
so all the Office ones don't get updates when
just Windows Update is running.

Since the updates are in queue, it might be
hard to make them go away. I don't know the details of this.
Switching back to Windows Update, might not be enough.

If you had left your settings at Manual, you'd have
had more control over this. It sounds like it is in
Auto-Rage mode.

When I was using the Office Viewer applications (the free ones
that allow opening a .ppt for a look), when I used MBSA,
there were 15 updates waiting for me, just for some free software!
That's why it is not a surprise to see 27 updates.

Paul

Re: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?

<RPbUEAecAfXiFw4n@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4146&group=alt.windows7.general#4146

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 00:11:24 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:11 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 16:30:16, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
>On 4/18/2022 1:02 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> I recently got 27 updates! The only thing I can think of as the
>>reason is that I installed Microsoft Security Essentials - just out of
[]
>I don't know the answer to your question.

Thanks for replying anyway.

>However, you've been switched from
>Windows Update to Microsoft Update and that's
>why there are so many Office updates out of nowhere.

Ah, I guess installing MSE might have done that. (I've turned off the
real-time aspect of it - it was slowing the machine to a crawl too much
of the time.)

>Previously, you weren't running Microsoft Update,
>so all the Office ones don't get updates when
>just Windows Update is running.

Makes sense.

>Since the updates are in queue, it might be
>hard to make them go away. I don't know the details of this.
>Switching back to Windows Update, might not be enough.

I don't mind them turning up, though I'll be interested to know what the
ones for Office 2010 will do, since I only have 2003 and 2007!

>If you had left your settings at Manual, you'd have
>had more control over this. It sounds like it is in
>Auto-Rage mode.

I have it set to "get them but ask me", or something like that. It did
indeed ask me about the 26+1.

>When I was using the Office Viewer applications (the free ones
>that allow opening a .ppt for a look), when I used MBSA,
>there were 15 updates waiting for me, just for some free software!
>That's why it is not a surprise to see 27 updates.
>
> Paul

I did notice that at least one of them was indeed for a "viewer".

But remember, in a permissive society, it is also permissible to stay at home
and have a nice cup of tea instead. Andrew Collins, RT 2015/2/14-20

Re: Can "restart" reminder be dismissed?

<0001HW.280EDB3A031A3EDB70000F98F38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4148&group=alt.windows7.general#4148

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:57:46 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:57 UTC

On 18 Apr 2022, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote
(in article <vrwb9iXymZXiFwcZ@a.a>):

> I recently got 27 updates! The only thing I can think of as the reason
> is that I installed Microsoft Security Essentials - just out of
> curiosity, after a discussion here. But a lot of them were to do with
> Office 2003 and 2007 and 2010 (I'm pretty sure I don't _have_ 2010!),
> which installing/enabling MSE I wouldn't have thought would have
> anything to do with. (Some of them failed - one of the reasons given was
> "another update is being installed, click here to try again" or
> something like that, so I did, and they're now all showing as
> Successful.)
>
> Anyway, I've got the "Restart your computer to finish installing
> important updates", with options of now, or remind me in 10 minutes, 1
> hour, or 4 hours. Is there any way to get rid of it? I will restart one
> of these days. Killing "wuauclt.exe" from Task Manager makes it
> disappear, but it comes back eventually.

If you get that message, then at least one ‘update’ does not start up
until it is finished updating... and to do that, it must replace a process
which is running. Which can only be done by a restart. You _will_ be getting
that restart message until you do restart. Depending on which update it is,
you may get to restart twice or more; some updates can’t be installed until
after other updates are running, and may then require a restart themselves.

As you just installed MSSE, it’s probable that it’s not running until
after the restart. You might want to verify that you have some kind of
anti-malware running.

Personally, I’d restart the thing as the last thing I did before going to
bed, and would check it in the morning. That’s what I usually do. To be
sure, I usually do that on a Friday night, so that I have all of Saturday to
play with the system if there was a problem, and it’s Tuesday at time of
writing, so you’d have to put up with MS nagging you until Friday. Or just
run it tonight.

Oh, yeah... make a backup before restarting. Just in case. Be paranoid, MS
_is_ out to get you. (It’s not personal, they’re out to get _everyone_)