From: ocskyw...@gmail.com (Steven Fleckenstein, N2UBP)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Fiber To The Home [telecom]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 09:05:19 -0400
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: Steven Fleckenstein, - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 13:05 UTC

Last September Frontier ran fiber in my neighborhood.

This month their telemarketers have been calling me daily with a
script informing me that "This call is being recorded, copper being
replaced by fiber."

I like the technology, and the synchronous speeds. I'm not sure where
they would place the ONT since all electrical, cable and telco lines
come into the side of the a house with finished rooms, and no basement
or garage for the install. Where would they get the power for the ONT?
Really don't want it in my finished home office.

I don't like telemarketers telling me that my last POTS copper fed
phone line will be replaced by fiber (in the 80's I had 5 phone lines
to cover home, business and BBS and the cables are still running from
the pole to my house even though Frontier promised to remove the
deadheads years ago.).

I still have a bad taste in my mouth dealing with terminating my
Frontier DSL service at the end of contract. Took them months to get
it right.

I don't like Frontiers recent implementation of a $50 charge for
returning equipment at service termination. Returning the cable modem
to Spectrum is free, just drive down to their local office and drop it
off.

I wonder what other fees and surcharges they will add over the life of
the contract?

I also don't want to lock myself into a contract and early contract
termination fees.

Wife and I are thinking of downsizing and relocating but not sure
when.

We were once surrounded by farmland. Today we are surrounded by car
lots, warehouses, and gas/oil fired electric power plants.

I don't see any signs that my neighbors are signing up for Frontier's
fiber service. Shame Frontier has to take a good thing and bury it in
terms and conditions.

Steve

N2UBP

Middletown (Wawayanda), NY

Re: Fiber To The Home [telecom]

<sJ8SL.1498221$iS99.1224317@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4153&group=comp.dcom.telecom#4153

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: Fiber To The Home [telecom]
Date: 20 Mar 2023 22:35:05 -0400
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 02:35 UTC

On 3/20/2023 9:05, Steven Fleckenstein, N2UBP wrote:
> Last September Frontier ran fiber in my neighborhood.
>
> This month their telemarketers have been calling me daily with a
> script informing me that "This call is being recorded, copper being
> replaced by fiber."

(snip)

> I don't like telemarketers telling me that my last POTS copper fed
> phone line will be replaced by fiber (in the 80's I had 5 phone lines
> to cover home, business and BBS and the cables are still running from
> the pole to my house even though Frontier promised to remove the
> deadheads years ago.).

Frontier is not a very progressive telco. I haven't worked there for
several years, but I've never heard of someone being pushed off of their
service for fiber. It sounds like a marketing ploy to push people to
*buy* new service. I find it very unlikely that they are shutting down
copper POTS. Hold your ground if you wish to keep your land line as-is.

Re: Fiber To The Home [telecom]

<tv9pjv$3i9p9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4155&group=comp.dcom.telecom#4155

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 20 Mar 2023 15:12:15 +0100
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 14:12 UTC

Am 20.03.2023 um 09:05:19 Uhr schrieb Steven Fleckenstein, N2UBP:

> I like the technology, and the synchronous speeds. I'm not sure where
> they would place the ONT since all electrical, cable and telco lines
> come into the side of the a house with finished rooms, and no basement
> or garage for the install.

It can be installed at any place in the house - you need to find a
place.

> Where would they get the power for the ONT?

From one of the sockets in the house - maybe an extension cord is
needed.

> I don't like telemarketers telling me that my last POTS copper fed
> phone line will be replaced by fiber (in the 80's I had 5 phone lines
> to cover home, business and BBS and the cables are still running from
> the pole to my house even though Frontier promised to remove the
> deadheads years ago.).

That is a normal process in technical evolution, you can't do anything
against it.