From: bor...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Remotely Disabling Paid for Programs?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 13:53:20 -0800
 by: Boris - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 21:53 UTC

I have Comcast/Xfinity at my home and my dad's home. We live hours
apart. He has his own account, but I have full permissions to
administer his account.

I'd like to, from my house, set passwords/PINS/whatever, to prevent
others from purchasing individual show/movies/subscriptions, etc. at his
house. He has three TVs.

Can I do this remotely, from my house?

Re: Remotely Disabling Paid for Programs?

<tkrv42$1i8es$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=419&group=alt.online-service.comcast#419

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: Remotely Disabling Paid for Programs?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 17:37:39 -0600
 by: leonard hofstatder - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 23:37 UTC

On 11/13/2022 3:53 PM, Boris wrote:
> I have Comcast/Xfinity at my home and my dad's home.  We live hours
> apart.  He has his own account, but I have full permissions to
> administer his account.
>
> I'd like to, from my house, set passwords/PINS/whatever, to prevent
> others from purchasing individual show/movies/subscriptions, etc. at his
> house.  He has three TVs.
>
> Can I do this remotely, from my house?

Can't say for sure but seems this should be possible through one of the
Xfinity Apps.

Re: Remotely Disabling Paid for Programs?

<12ozylw763nq8$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=420&group=alt.online-service.comcast#420

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:45:31 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 01:45 UTC

Boris <boris@invalid.com> wrote:

> I have Comcast/Xfinity at my home and my dad's home. We live hours
> apart. He has his own account, but I have full permissions to
> administer his account.
>
> I'd like to, from my house, set passwords/PINS/whatever, to prevent
> others from purchasing individual show/movies/subscriptions, etc. at his
> house. He has three TVs.
>
> Can I do this remotely, from my house?

Log into your Dad's account (not as another member that may have owner
permissions). Click on the Account button at the top right. In the
drop list, click on "Account and Identity". Under the owner account,
click on "Account Communications". By default, texts get sent for "On
Demand and Pay-Per-View Purchases". Also enable the e-mail notification
to let you know when someone ordered a pay movie under your account.

This is the new navpath after Comcast decided to glitz up their web site
to make it look pretty. It was far easier under the old web site to
find account settings.

On the set top boxes themselves, you use the remote to navigate to
Parental Controls to set a PIN. To do the remote-box setup, you have to
be at the set top box for the remote to work with it. If your Dad wants
to lock out guests and kids from ordering pay services, give him the URL
to the above article, and let him decide to do it or not. However, if
he decides not to go the lockout method within the box, he really should
get notified when someone orders a pay product, and why I mentioned the
above notification setting in the account that you can configure
remotedly by logging into his account.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/control-what-your-child-watches?

Re: Remotely Disabling Paid for Programs?

<tksdeb$1lvno$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=421&group=alt.online-service.comcast#421

From: bor...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:42:03 -0800
 by: Boris - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 03:42 UTC

On 11/13/2022 5:45 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Boris <boris@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I have Comcast/Xfinity at my home and my dad's home. We live hours
>> apart. He has his own account, but I have full permissions to
>> administer his account.
>>
>> I'd like to, from my house, set passwords/PINS/whatever, to prevent
>> others from purchasing individual show/movies/subscriptions, etc. at his
>> house. He has three TVs.
>>
>> Can I do this remotely, from my house?
>
> Log into your Dad's account (not as another member that may have owner
> permissions). Click on the Account button at the top right. In the
> drop list, click on "Account and Identity". Under the owner account,
> click on "Account Communications". By default, texts get sent for "On
> Demand and Pay-Per-View Purchases". Also enable the e-mail notification
> to let you know when someone ordered a pay movie under your account.

I've had notify ME by email for a long time. Works fine. I've gotten
emails a few times about purchased programs, which I've called in
immediately to have charges reversed. I've often wondered if the
'purchased' program stops in mid-stream after my call. Doubt it.

> This is the new navpath after Comcast decided to glitz up their web site
> to make it look pretty. It was far easier under the old web site to
> find account settings.

I don't care for the new look.

> On the set top boxes themselves, you use the remote to navigate to
> Parental Controls to set a PIN. To do the remote-box setup, you have to
> be at the set top box for the remote to work with it. If your Dad wants
> to lock out guests and kids from ordering pay services, give him the URL
> to the above article, and let him decide to do it or not. However, if
> he decides not to go the lockout method within the box, he really should
> get notified when someone orders a pay product, and why I mentioned the
> above notification setting in the account that you can configure
> remotedly by logging into his account.

So, it sounds like you're saying that I have to be on-site to set PINS?
I know how to do it at my own house, but have never had a need to do so.

Thanks.

> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/control-what-your-child-watches?

Re: Remotely Disabling Paid for Programs?

<1uiznuj8hdmhv.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=422&group=alt.online-service.comcast#422

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 22:13:45 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 04:13 UTC

Boris <boris@invalid.com> wrote:

> So, it sounds like you're saying that I have to be on-site to set PINS?

Or your Dad could do it. I walked through my remote looking at parental
controls, and they seem very easy to understand.