From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Who Knew ?
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:53:00 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 04:53 UTC

On 10/31/21 19:46, 1p166 wrote:
> [...]
>   quickly that they lose all interest in we petty
>   organics and move on to Big Stuff.
>
>>   The Human model for AI is as
>> flawed as human people are.  And HAL which we do not have yet
>> is apparently capable of having a paranoid reaction or xenophobia.
>
>   "Just Like Us" would be the WORST scenerio - we KNOW
>   what humans are like ... and it ain't good.
>
>   However I think "Not QUITE Human" would be the easiest
>   to achieve. If you want pure clones, there are - um -
>   more conventional low-tech ways to do that. The hypothetical
>   HAL learned human-ish mannerisms, but it's life experience
>   and physical realities meant it arrived at its generalizations
>   and conclusions by a quite different path.
>
>   If you want practical "alien-ness", consider dolphins.
>   PROBABLY as intelligent as we - but an entirely different
>   evolutionary and individual experience. About 50 years
>   of trying and we STILL can't do their language. We know
>   from statistical analysis that they DO have complex
>   conversations, but WHAT ? And these are fellow mammals
>   not all THAT big an evolutionary leap away from ourselves.
>
>   They may as well be aliens - and our failures to grasp
>   what they say does NOT bode very well should proper
>   aliens drop down from the skies. It's more than just
>   language, it's the mode of THINKING behind it.
>   Of all the space-people movies, only "Arrival" gave
>   a partway glimpse of this issue.
>
>>      Have you thought of Watson? Surely that agglomoration of
>> hard and software approaches the 1/1000th of a HAL or even
>> better machine.
>
>   "Watson" is impressive ... within its sphere. It's got
>   random little BITS of human-level IQ in there, but it
>   is still a shattered mirror. The bits can't come
>   together to realize "I AM", not in the slightest degree.
>   The engineers will keep adding bits for awhile, but in
>   the end it'll be a dead end and they will move on to
>   different, more promising, paradigms.
>
>  >After all when the very distant ancestor decided
>> to leave the trees for the plain and stand on two Legs to look
>> around that was a very unpromising beginning.  Maybe it was a
>> mistake.  Definitely living too close to the shoreline or rivers
>> was a mistake and we have that ingrained habit.
>
>   Those ancestors, well, likely the trees left THEM.
>   There was a lot of climate change. They had no choice
>   in certain locales. Barely worked out for them ...
>
>   Little groups, isolated and inbred for a time - which
>   amplifies certain genes - then meet and mate the neighbors.
>   Repeat, repeat, repeat. Somewhere a few genes related to
>   brain development/size were mutated and it was a USEFUL
>   mutation for once. Finally showed around H.hablis when
>   there was a noteworthy deviation from the usual ratio
>   of brain size to body mass and the toolkits suddenly
>   got bigger and more sophisticated.
>
>   As for shorelines and rivers, and esp where both converge,
>   was likely devastating as the last ice-age ended. How many
>   nascent civilizations were washed away or drowned under

Anyway the brain of H.sap.sap. is not all circuitry but interesting
chemicals as well. DMT is one that probably helps
produce a cohesive view of external stimuli which is probably
essential for individual consciousness.

bliss- -“Nearly any fool can use a GNU/Linux computer. Many do.” After
all here I am...

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Who Knew ?

<slnuq6$c2n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4214&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4214

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:43:34 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 05:43 UTC

On 10/31/21 21:53, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

But missaddressed this communication,

> On 10/31/21 19:46, 1p166 wrote:

Snipped

Re: Who Knew ?

<sls75d$7eo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4215&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4215

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 07:30:34 +1100
 by: faeychild - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 20:30 UTC

On 1/11/21 16:43, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 10/31/21 21:53, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>

> But missaddressed this communication,

> Snipped

Someone's important quote, Bobbie, says that there are two important
days in your life.

The day you were born and the day you find out why.

For the second installment I feel that I am running out of time and
interest.

We shall see! :-)

regards

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.10.75-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.

Re: Who Knew ?

<slsivh$lel$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4218&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4218

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 16:52:16 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 23:52 UTC

On 11/2/21 13:30, faeychild wrote:
> On 1/11/21 16:43, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>> On 10/31/21 21:53, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>>

>> But missaddressed this communication,

>> Snipped
>

> Someone's important quote, Bobbie, says that there are two important
> days in your life.
>
> The day you were born and the day you find out why.
>
> For the second installment I feel that I am running out of time and
> interest.
>

> We shall see!  :-)
>
> regards

Well in my case my mother loved my father and he liked her
well enough to marry. They of course enjoyed carnality and so in
1937 I emerged from their sanctioned union.
I hope something similar went on in your pre-life.

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com