My little brother got this fortune: nohup rm -fr /& So he did...

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / [OT] Sanity problem

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Sanity problempinnerite
+* Re: [OT] Sanity problemMike Easter
|+- Re: [OT] Sanity problemandrew
|`* Re: [OT] Sanity problempinnerite
| +- Re: [OT] Sanity problemJim
| `* Re: [OT] Sanity problemMike Easter
|  +* Re: [OT] Sanity problemDavid W. Hodgins
|  |`- Re: [OT] Sanity problempinnerite
|  `* Re: [OT] Sanity problempinnerite
|   `* Re: [OT] Sanity problemAnssi Saari
|    `- Re: [OT] Sanity problempinnerite
`* Re: [OT] Sanity problemDaniel65
 `- Re: [OT] Sanity problempinnerite

1
[OT] Sanity problem

<20211102220905.a778dbfc043824dd99aa6571@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4216&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4216

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Subject: [OT] Sanity problem
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 22:09:05 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 22:09 UTC

This is about a Gmail Account.
I access this from my Mint-powered computer and my Android 'phone.
On the cellphone there were three messages received from Quora at then of 2020.

I have not been able to delete them.
If I do they pop up again BUT only on the Xiaomi Android-powered cellphone.
From webmail on the computer, I deleted every message both in or out.

No difference. They pop up again but only on the 'phone.
It needs fresh minds.
Hence this post.

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<iudtmfF6ee1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4217&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4217

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Subject: Re: [OT] Sanity problem
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 15:50:54 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 22:50 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> a Gmail Account.

a Gmail account has a number of ways of viewing its email. There's
webmail viewed w/ a device's browser. There's POP which pop can
function to download to the client and then delete what was downloaded
and there's pop which can function to download to the client and NOT
delete was what downloaded. And there's IMAP, or in this case 'gmail' imap.

Most people who want to use multiple clients for a gmail account either
do it w/ browser webmail or imap, but some like to do it w/ some pop
fandango.

We are missing some of the details of how you handle your gmail account
w/ your two devices.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<20211103121745.71@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4219&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4219

From: and...@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: 3 Nov 2021 01:20:08 GMT
 by: andrew - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 01:20 UTC

On 2021-11-02, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Most people who want to use multiple clients for a gmail account
> either do it w/ browser webmail or imap, but some like to do it w/
> some pop fandango.

That would be POP3 over SSL:

https://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html

Technology of a more ordered time :)

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<20211103115827.0b59de805570061c075a29e2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4220&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4220

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 11:58:27 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 11:58 UTC

On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 15:50:54 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > a Gmail Account.
>
> a Gmail account has a number of ways of viewing its email. There's
> webmail viewed w/ a device's browser. There's POP which pop can
> function to download to the client and then delete what was downloaded
> and there's pop which can function to download to the client and NOT
> delete was what downloaded. And there's IMAP, or in this case 'gmail' imap.
>
> Most people who want to use multiple clients for a gmail account either
> do it w/ browser webmail or imap, but some like to do it w/ some pop
> fandango.
>
> We are missing some of the details of how you handle your gmail account
> w/ your two devices.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

My gmail account is not a POP account it is an IMAP account.
What is puzzling is that this perpetual returning popup of the three emails only shows up on the Android 'phone.

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<slu4mh$2fm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4222&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4222

From: jim.be...@verizon.net (Jim)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 14:00:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 14:00 UTC

On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 11:58:27 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 15:50:54 -0700
> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
>> pinnerite wrote:
>> > a Gmail Account.
>>
>> a Gmail account has a number of ways of viewing its email. There's
>> webmail viewed w/ a device's browser. There's POP which pop can
>> function to download to the client and then delete what was downloaded
>> and there's pop which can function to download to the client and NOT
>> delete was what downloaded. And there's IMAP, or in this case 'gmail' imap.
>>
>> Most people who want to use multiple clients for a gmail account either
>> do it w/ browser webmail or imap, but some like to do it w/ some pop
>> fandango.
>>
>> We are missing some of the details of how you handle your gmail account
>> w/ your two devices.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter
>
> My gmail account is not a POP account it is an IMAP account.
> What is puzzling is that this perpetual returning popup of the three
> emails only shows up on the Android 'phone.

Go into your settings on the Android and see what the phone thinks your
connection should be. It may be POP or POP3 or either of those vs IMAP,
with the phone first trying its default setting and when that does not
work trying something else.

The sequence involved in checking for a working protocol can make a
difference in what gets backed up and saved where.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly, it merely
expects users to be computer friendly.

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<iuga1vFkdaoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4223&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4223

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 13:34:06 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 20:34 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> My gmail account is not a POP account it is an IMAP account.
> What is puzzling is that this perpetual returning popup of the three emails only shows up on the Android 'phone.

If I'm understanding that the msg/s are deleted at the gmail server,
then I would assume that they are no longer accessible to the android.
It would seem that if you delete (previously IMAP dl/ed) the msg/s at
the android, it wouldn't be able to dl them again.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<op.1cawreq0a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4224&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4224

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 17:31:52 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 21:31 UTC

On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 16:34:06 -0400, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
>> My gmail account is not a POP account it is an IMAP account.
>> What is puzzling is that this perpetual returning popup of the three emails only shows up on the Android 'phone.
>
> If I'm understanding that the msg/s are deleted at the gmail server,
> then I would assume that they are no longer accessible to the android.
> It would seem that if you delete (previously IMAP dl/ed) the msg/s at
> the android, it wouldn't be able to dl them again.

Is the android system showing msgs in the imap trash folder while the others are
not?

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<20211103215958.ccab48dcd4b7d1e553c9a310@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4225&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4225

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 21:59:58 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 21:59 UTC

On Wed, 3 Nov 2021 13:34:06 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > My gmail account is not a POP account it is an IMAP account.
> > What is puzzling is that this perpetual returning popup of the three emails only shows up on the Android 'phone.
>
> If I'm understanding that the msg/s are deleted at the gmail server,
> then I would assume that they are no longer accessible to the android.
> It would seem that if you delete (previously IMAP dl/ed) the msg/s at
> the android, it wouldn't be able to dl them again.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Logic would suggest that having deleted every file/message associated with the particular email address on the gmail webmail page for it would effectively extinguishing them from the gmail server.

The three messages have never reappeared on thunderbird on Linux Mint but refuse to die on the Xaiomi-Android cellphone.

I am wondering if Xaiomi's modifications may be responsible?

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<sm0bl30xs83.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4226&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4226

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 10:03:40 +0200
sha1:sSpbuGL63d5BoVN4FUF7PkwtQQc=
 by: Anssi Saari - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 08:03 UTC

pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> writes:

> The three messages have never reappeared on thunderbird on Linux Mint
> but refuse to die on the Xaiomi-Android cellphone.
>
> I am wondering if Xaiomi's modifications may be responsible?

One wonders what it is that you use on the phone? The Gmail app? Or
something from Xiaomi? Something else? What?

What if you just wipe data in whatever app you're using on the Xiaomi
phone? May have to add your account again though. Or do that, remove
the Gmail account from the phone and re-add it?

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<sm0hrs$ukh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4227&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4227

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 22:57:51 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 11:57 UTC

pinnerite wrote on 3/11/21 9:09 am:
> This is about a Gmail Account.
> I access this from my Mint-powered computer and my Android 'phone.
> On the cellphone there were three messages received from Quora at then of 2020.
>
> I have not been able to delete them.
> If I do they pop up again BUT only on the Xiaomi Android-powered cellphone.
> From webmail on the computer, I deleted every message both in or out.
>
> No difference. They pop up again but only on the 'phone.
> It needs fresh minds.
> Hence this post.

When you type "They pop up again but only on the 'phone.", where are
they popping up?? In the 'inbox' or in the 'Trash'??

If they are in the 'Trash' on the phone, is there a 'Compact Folders'
function or similar??

(Just a thought ..... In my SeaMonkey Browser Suite, when I delete
e-mails from the Inbox, they are not really deleted, they are marked as
deleted and disappear from the 'Inbox' listing and appear listed under
the 'Trash' Folder ..... but aren't really deleted until I 'Empty Trash'
and then 'Compact Folders'.)
--
Daniel

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<20211104123351.851dfd9e40b9452676b6ba8f@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4228&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4228

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 12:33:51 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 12:33 UTC

On Thu, 4 Nov 2021 22:57:51 +1100
Daniel65 <daniel47@eternal-september.org> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote on 3/11/21 9:09 am:
> > This is about a Gmail Account.
> > I access this from my Mint-powered computer and my Android 'phone.
> > On the cellphone there were three messages received from Quora at then of 2020.
> >
> > I have not been able to delete them.
> > If I do they pop up again BUT only on the Xiaomi Android-powered cellphone.
> > From webmail on the computer, I deleted every message both in or out.
> >
> > No difference. They pop up again but only on the 'phone.
> > It needs fresh minds.
> > Hence this post.
>
> When you type "They pop up again but only on the 'phone.", where are
> they popping up?? In the 'inbox' or in the 'Trash'??

The unbox

> If they are in the 'Trash' on the phone, is there a 'Compact Folders'
> function or similar??

There is no Compact Folders on the phone. May not be necessary on solid state storage.

> (Just a thought ..... In my SeaMonkey Browser Suite, when I delete
> e-mails from the Inbox, they are not really deleted, they are marked as
> deleted and disappear from the 'Inbox' listing and appear listed under
> the 'Trash' Folder ..... but aren't really deleted until I 'Empty Trash'
> and then 'Compact Folders'.)

In order to try and pin this down, over the 11 months since this first began, I purged every vestige of files to and from this address and even deleted the client from the phone before restoring it sometime later after I had changed my password fro my desktop.

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<20211104123843.554ae2216efdaa70187ef218@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4229&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4229

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 12:38:43 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 12:38 UTC

On Thu, 04 Nov 2021 10:03:40 +0200
Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> wrote:

> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The three messages have never reappeared on thunderbird on Linux Mint
> > but refuse to die on the Xaiomi-Android cellphone.
> >
> > I am wondering if Xaiomi's modifications may be responsible?
>
> One wonders what it is that you use on the phone? The Gmail app? Or
> something from Xiaomi? Something else? What?
>
> What if you just wipe data in whatever app you're using on the Xiaomi
> phone? May have to add your account again though. Or do that, remove
> the Gmail account from the phone and re-add it?

You are correct and indeed I have already tried all that as explained to Daniel earlier.

I had been using the Gmail app on the phone. Yesterday I tried another client but it fails the sign-in (?)

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Sanity problem

<20211104124802.d0dea20a780f270957f4b852@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4230&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4230

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.android
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 12:48:02 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 12:48 UTC

On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 17:31:52 -0400
"David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 16:34:06 -0400, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
> > pinnerite wrote:
> >> My gmail account is not a POP account it is an IMAP account.
> >> What is puzzling is that this perpetual returning popup of the three emails only shows up on the Android 'phone.
> >
> > If I'm understanding that the msg/s are deleted at the gmail server,
> > then I would assume that they are no longer accessible to the android.
> > It would seem that if you delete (previously IMAP dl/ed) the msg/s at
> > the android, it wouldn't be able to dl them again.
>
> Is the android system showing msgs in the imap trash folder while the others are
> not?
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

No. There are no messages in/out/trash.drafts or anything else indicated by the Gmail lis of folders and yet the three annoying messages are still on the inbox screen.

I have just instructed the app to move them to 'Trash'. When I checked the folder (all the folders) it was empty and the messages were back!

Regards, Alan