To err is human, to moo bovine.

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Dual-booting Windows 11

SubjectAuthor
* Dual-booting Windows 11Doug Laidlaw
+* Re: Dual-booting Windows 11Jim
|`* Re: Dual-booting Windows 11Doug Laidlaw
| `- Re: Dual-booting Windows 11Herman Viaene
`- Re: Dual-booting Windows 11Bobbie Sellers

1
Dual-booting Windows 11

<sm55qh$g9e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4231&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4231

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Dual-booting Windows 11
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:02:55 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 06:02 UTC

Trust Microsoft to have another try at excluding any opposition :(

New computers are now shipping with Windows 11. Windows 11 has two
requirements for existing computers, TPM and Secure Boot. TPM is
already on my motherboard under a different name, but switched off, and
the Windows "are-you-ready" test couldn't find it. If TPM is not
installed, apparently, there is a header for later installation.

Secure Boot sounds like more of a problem. For dual-booting Linux with
Windows 10, it could be disabled. With Windows 11, it must be enabled,
or Windows won't run. In theory, Secure Boot doesn't exist to lock out
other OS's; any OS could create a signature file, but I have heard of
only one Linux distro that has a signature for Secure Boot. Now, it
seems, the others must follow suit.

Personally, I could manage with Windows 8.1, which is still supported.
I use Windows only when I have no alternative. My biggest problem is
with genealogy. The program for Linux, Gramps, is unlike anything
written for Windows. It is now available to Windows users, and I have
seen one or two using it. Roots Magic runs well under Crossover Office,
but like Gramps, it doesn't put the data entry screen (or any link to
it) anywhere obvious.

Re: Dual-booting Windows 11

<sm63u3$20l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4232&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4232

From: jim.be...@verizon.net (Jim)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Dual-booting Windows 11
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 14:36:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 14:36 UTC

On Sat, 06 Nov 2021 17:02:55 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> Trust Microsoft to have another try at excluding any opposition :(
>
> New computers are now shipping with Windows 11. Windows 11 has two
> requirements for existing computers, TPM and Secure Boot. TPM is
> already on my motherboard under a different name, but switched off, and
> the Windows "are-you-ready" test couldn't find it. If TPM is not
> installed, apparently, there is a header for later installation.
>
> Secure Boot sounds like more of a problem. For dual-booting Linux with
> Windows 10, it could be disabled. With Windows 11, it must be enabled,
> or Windows won't run. In theory, Secure Boot doesn't exist to lock out
> other OS's; any OS could create a signature file, but I have heard of
> only one Linux distro that has a signature for Secure Boot. Now, it
> seems, the others must follow suit.
>
> Personally, I could manage with Windows 8.1, which is still supported.
> I use Windows only when I have no alternative. My biggest problem is
> with genealogy. The program for Linux, Gramps, is unlike anything
> written for Windows. It is now available to Windows users, and I have
> seen one or two using it. Roots Magic runs well under Crossover Office,
> but like Gramps, it doesn't put the data entry screen (or any link to
> it) anywhere obvious.

Are you aware of Geneweb? Distributed under the GNU General Public
License, it is available for Unix, Linux, Microsoft Windows and macOS.

I have been using it for 15 or 20 years now. The last time I updated
was to gw-6.0 which provided version 6.05. The update to 6.07 did
not seem worth the trouble to install, and for some years there was
little work on the program. That now seems to have changed, and I
am thinking of installing version 7.00, exporting my main database
as a .ged or .gw database, and then importing that to see if it
works well.

The downloads are here. I could not log onto the server that has
rpm versions for Fedora.

https://geneweb.tuxfamily.org/wiki/download

Other webpages of possible interest:
https://geneweb.tuxfamily.org/
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~ddr/GeneWeb/en/

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly, it merely
expects users to be computer friendly.

Re: Dual-booting Windows 11

<sm655b$3vo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4233&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4233

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 07:57:45 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 14:57 UTC

On 11/5/21 23:02, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> Trust Microsoft to have another try at excluding any opposition :(
>
> New computers are now shipping with Windows 11.  Windows 11 has two
> requirements for existing computers, TPM and Secure Boot.  TPM is
> already on my motherboard under a different name, but switched off, and
> the Windows "are-you-ready" test couldn't find it.  If TPM is not
> installed, apparently, there is a header for later installation.
>
> Secure Boot sounds like more of a problem.  For dual-booting Linux with
> Windows 10, it could be disabled.  With Windows 11, it must be enabled,
> or Windows won't run.  In theory, Secure Boot doesn't exist to lock out
> other OS's; any OS could create a signature file, but I have heard of
> only one Linux distro that has a signature for Secure Boot.  Now, it
> seems, the others must follow suit.
>
> Personally, I could manage with Windows 8.1, which is still supported. I
> use Windows only when I have no alternative.  My biggest problem is with
> genealogy.  The program for Linux, Gramps, is unlike anything written
> for Windows.  It is now available to Windows users, and I have seen one
> or two using it.  Roots Magic runs well under Crossover Office, but like
> Gramps, it doesn't put the data entry screen (or any link to it)
> anywhere obvious.

Jim how about running Windows in a VirtualBox?
You can download a Windows image. And unless something
is strange even with a Windows 11 install you cam access the
BIOS/Firware and switch the secure boot on before you run
Windows.

As for the TPM it is obsolete already.> Windows 11 has that as a
requirement a chip or module
> that holds security information but some experts think
> that approach is already obsolete. TSM has to be accessed
> by software which means that attackers can get to the same
> information.
If you want to read more about this go to the following URL.
<https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/forget-tpm-chips-for-windows-11-thats-not-even-the-half-of-it>

Whatever you do and you could install a Windows system to
an external drive to boot up from good luck with your problem.

bliss-“Nearly any fool can use a GNU/Linux computer. Many do.”
After all here I am...
--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Dual-booting Windows 11

<snib0d$lku$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4251&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4251

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:07:24 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 09:07 UTC

On 7/11/21 01:36, Jim wrote:
> Are you aware of Geneweb? Distributed under the GNU General Public
> License, it is available for Unix, Linux, Microsoft Windows and macOS.

Yes, Jim, you mentioned it to me some time ago. I keep my family tree
in various places, including Geneanet. I have looked at Geneweb a few
times. Although it will accept GEDCOMs, it prefers its own equivalent.
There don't seem to be as many opportunities to add events, etc. to the
entry screen to add a person, but that could be my unfamiliarty with it.
I have stayed with Geneanet because it gives me the best way to pick
errors. Geneanet recently announced that they were combining with
Ancestry.com. It seems that their opposition has joined MyHeritage, so
they decided that they had to do something to survive.

I started with Legacy Family Tree, because they had a free version,
quite adequate for a beginner. It now seems to be acknowledged as the
best. I can run it under Linux using Crossover Office, but some things
don't work. RootsMagic is better in this regard. Legacy and Geneweb
start up with a screen to enter a new individual, while RootsMagic and
Gramps both hide it somewhere.

Doug.

Re: Dual-booting Windows 11

<snitnu$1rif$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4252&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4252

From: her...@invalid.invalid (Herman Viaene)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:27:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Herman Viaene - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:27 UTC

Op Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:07:24 +1100, schreef Doug Laidlaw:

Legacy and Geneweb
> start up with a screen to enter a new individual, while RootsMagic and
> Gramps both hide it somewhere.

What do you mean "Gramps hide it somwhere"??? Click on "Persons" and there
is a big green "+" sign with tooltip "Add a person". Allow me for some
wordings, I run mine in Dutch.
I have used its export functions to upload my data to Geneanet.

Herman Viaene