"Were there no women, men might live like gods." -- Thomas Dekker

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Glitch-free High-quality Internet Audio Streaming

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Glitch-free High-quality Internet Audio StreamingMichael J. Mahon
`- Re: Glitch-free High-quality Internet Audio StreamingOliver Schmidt

1
Re: Glitch-free High-quality Internet Audio Streaming

<wP-dndCKzOOBFqP_nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4238&group=comp.sys.apple2#4238

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Re: Glitch-free High-quality Internet Audio Streaming
From: mjma...@aol.com (Michael J. Mahon)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 22:40:12 -0500
 by: Michael J. Mahon - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 03:40 UTC

Oliver Schmidt <ol.sc@web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The other day I finalized A2Stream, a program that simultaneously
> receives a file from any HTTP server and plays it through the stock
> Apple II speaker circuit.
>
> Some personal background: For many years by now, I've developed and
> maintained Ethernet software for the Apple II. My focus was always on
> practicability, portability and reusablitiy. Often I've invested in
> tools, trying to enable others to create something cool. However, for
> once I wanted to do the opposite: Showing off with a tech demo that
> pushes boundaries.
>
> A2Stream follows the general concept of DAC522, but with an improved
> audio quality using pulse-width modulation at 22050Hz sample rate with
> ~5.17 bit resolution. This sample rate is kept consistent during the
> complete playback, so A2Stream is supposed to sound better than
> everything else using Apple II speaker circuit so far.
>
> Project site - https://github.com/oliverschmidt/A2Stream
> Demo video - https://youtu.be/YcYEnYsI-_M
>
> Have fun,
> Oliver

Oliver, this is amazing!

When I was building DAC522, I felt constrained to using 11kHz samples
because of memory limitations, and even then only a few seconds of sampled
sound would fit. That’s one reason why I wrote the wavetable synthesizers,
since they only required a limited palette of samples.

Streaming sound was unthinkable at the time, so I was blown away by
A2Stream!

Doubling the sample rate of course doubles the bandwidth, but I was really
surprised by the great fidelity and the noise reduction. At first hearing,
I thought I was listening to the source sound, not the playback!

And to do this while managing network sample streaming and an animation is
a remarkable programming feat. You’ve set a new benchmark for 8-bit Apple
II sound!

Congratulations! I hope you’ve inspired others by showing what can be
accomplished with skill and vision.

Re: Glitch-free High-quality Internet Audio Streaming

<t1n4nl$nb0o$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4239&group=comp.sys.apple2#4239

From: ol....@web.de (Oliver Schmidt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 13:33:41 GMT
 by: Oliver Schmidt - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 13:33 UTC

Hi Michael,

>When I was building DAC522, I felt constrained to using 11kHz samples
>because of memory limitations, and even then only a few seconds of sampled
>sound would fit.

Yeah. Usually everything about the Apple II is about memory
limitations. So coming from programming the Uthernet cards, I was
asking myself: "What can be done with the Apple II if memory isn't
limited, if the CPU is the only limitation."

>And to do this while managing network sample streaming and an animation is
>a remarkable programming feat. You've set a new benchmark for 8-bit Apple
>II sound!
>
>Congratulations! I hope you've inspired others by showing what can be
>accomplished with skill and vision.

I really, really appreciate your kind acknowledgement :-)

Regards,
Oliver