From: ol....@web.de (Oliver Schmidt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: A2Stream with fast-forwarding
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 20:59:23 GMT
 by: Oliver Schmidt - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 20:59 UTC

Hi,

Originally, the use case I saw for A2Stream were 3 to 4 minute songs.
However, with making all episodes of Open Apple available available
for A2Stream (https://a2retro.de/oa/), that has changed a tiny bit ;-)

The episodes come in chunks of up to 75 minutes. So if you didn't want
or just couldn't listen to an episode in one go, it became rather
inconvenient that A2Stream didn't allow any control beyond pausing the
playback.

No more with A2Stream 1.2! Now you can press the keys '1' to '9' to
fast-forward 1 to 9 minutes with roughly 20x playback speed :-)

https://github.com/oliverschmidt/A2Stream/releases/tag/1.2

Enjoy, Oliver

Re: A2Stream with fast-forwarding

<0001HW.281529BE03450A1E700009B492EF@eu.astraweb.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4293&group=comp.sys.apple2#4293

From: some...@somewhere.com (Speccie)
Subject: Re: A2Stream with fast-forwarding
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 07:46:22 +0100
 by: Speccie - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 06:46 UTC

Oliver,

> No more with A2Stream 1.2! Now you can press the keys '1' to '9' to
> fast-forward 1 to 9 minutes with roughly 20x playback speed :-)

For these larger files, what would be nice is if you could stop at any point, and it would save a small file that held the URL for the stream, and where you were in it when you stopped. Then if you went to that same stream again, it would ask if you wanted to start over, or continue from where you left off.

The only problem I can see is that unlike with the IIgs, you do not have a convenient place where you can store such a file on the Apple ][.

Cheers - Ewen (Speccie)

Re: A2Stream with fast-forwarding

<t4371r$1baod$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4294&group=comp.sys.apple2#4294

From: ol....@web.de (Oliver Schmidt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:59:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Oliver Schmidt - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:59 UTC

Hi Ewen,

> For these larger files, what would be nice is if you could stop at any
> point, and it would save a small file that held the URL for the stream,
> and where you were in it when you stopped. Then if you went to that same
> stream again, it would ask if you wanted to start over, or continue from
> where you left off.

As you pretty surely imagine, I already had that idea ;-)

> The only problem I can see is that unlike with the IIgs, you do not have
> a convenient place where you can store such a file on the Apple ][.

I presume, you are not aware, that A2Stream already saves the URLs entered
by the user in a file for re-use on a subsequent run. Of course, I can't
judge if you consider my place a convenient place.

However, I see more than enough other problems. Two of them:

1.) A2Stream has no idea whatsoever, where in a stream it currently is.

2.) A2Stream does HTTP 1.0, but byte ranges are part of HTTP 1.1.

Anyhow, thanks for thinking about A2Stream,
Oliver

Re: A2Stream with fast-forwarding

<t45i0d$1danb$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4302&group=comp.sys.apple2#4302

From: ol....@web.de (Oliver Schmidt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:18:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Oliver Schmidt - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:18 UTC

Hi Ewen,

>> As you pretty surely imagine, I already had that idea ;-)
>
> I had a pretty good idea you would have. :-)

:-)

>> Anyhow, thanks for thinking about A2Stream,
>
> I have watched the demo, and am very impressed at what it can do...

Thanks for the nice feedback - of course especially from someone with your
background!

Regards,
Oliver