If Bill Gates is the Devil then Linus Torvalds must be the Messiah. -- Unknown source

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Just trying Mageia 8

SubjectAuthor
* Just trying Mageia 8pinnerite
`* Re: Just trying Mageia 8Bit Twister
 +- Re: Just trying Mageia 8TJ
 `* Re: Just trying Mageia 8pinnerite
  +- Re: Just trying Mageia 8Bit Twister
  `* Re: Just trying Mageia 8TJ
   `* Re: Just trying Mageia 8Doug Laidlaw
    +- Re: Just trying Mageia 8Doug Laidlaw
    +- Re: Just trying Mageia 8Herman Viaene
    `- Re: Just trying Mageia 8TJ

1
Just trying Mageia 8

<20220106153654.339e2a841fb4d964b10e0872@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4325&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4325

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Just trying Mageia 8
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:36:54 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:36 UTC

I had not tried Mageia since having to drop it when Plasma 5 was first introduced.

I installed it as a virtual machine under VirtualBox, alongside XP and Windows 10.
It all went well except for two things:

1) Autologin doesn't, despite checking the settings; and
2) I cannot access the host's directories.

The host is Mint and I use samba for file management.
The samba client was installed.
Although I set VirtualBox to share certain 'er shares. I cannot find them from Mageia.
Needless to say, I can do from either or both Windows VMs.

I am obviously missing something, apart from several million brain cells.
Can anyone suggest what that might be?

TIA

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<slrnste3se.2ebh3.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4326&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4326

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Just trying Mageia 8
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 09:49:30 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:49 UTC

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:36:54 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
> I had not tried Mageia since having to drop it when Plasma 5 was first introduced.

I got tired of plasma crashes at the time and went with xfce.

> I installed it as a virtual machine under VirtualBox, alongside XP and Windows 10.
> It all went well except for two things:
>
> 1) Autologin doesn't, despite checking the settings; and
> 2) I cannot access the host's directories.

Can we assume you added your id to the vboxusers group on the host.
You may have to create the group.

If you do add your id be sure to log out/in to pick up the new group.
Check with 'id -nG'
'
> The host is Mint and I use samba for file management.
> The samba client was installed.
> Although I set VirtualBox to share certain 'er shares. I cannot find them from Mageia.
> Needless to say, I can do from either or both Windows VMs.

Hope you did add the VirtualBox_Extension_Pack to the guest.

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<sr75ob$vjb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4327&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4327

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 11:35:21 -0500
 by: TJ - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 16:35 UTC

On 1/6/22 10:49, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:36:54 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
>> I had not tried Mageia since having to drop it when Plasma 5 was first introduced.
>>

> I got tired of plasma crashes at the time and went with xfce.

I can't remember having a Plasma crash with an Official release.
Cauldron, yes, but those don't count.

>> I installed it as a virtual machine under VirtualBox, alongside XP and Windows 10.
>> It all went well except for two things:
>>
>> 1) Autologin doesn't, despite checking the settings; and
>> 2) I cannot access the host's directories.
>
> Can we assume you added your id to the vboxusers group on the host.
> You may have to create the group.
>
> If you do add your id be sure to log out/in to pick up the new group.
> Check with 'id -nG'
> '
>> The host is Mint and I use samba for file management.
>> The samba client was installed.
>> Although I set VirtualBox to share certain 'er shares. I cannot find them from Mageia.
>> Needless to say, I can do from either or both Windows VMs.
>
> Hope you did add the VirtualBox_Extension_Pack to the guest.

The extension pack is installed into Vbox on the host. Guest additions
are installed in the guest. Mageia provides them, and they should have
been installed with the guest system. They have been updated at least
twice since the Mageia 8 install isos were released, so if you install
from one of those make sure you get the updates.

@pinnerite: I've had no problems with autologin with Mageia, but then my
host systems are also Mageia Plasma, and I make sure to have the
extension pack installed. I have zero experience with Mint.

As for shared folders, make sure your guest user is part of the "vboxsf"
group. If, when you set up your shared folders you specified a mount
point, look for them there with a "sf_" appended to the beginning of the
folder name you specified. If you did not specify a mount point, look
for them in the guest's /media. Make sure the name you tell Vbox to use
doesn't have any spaces in it. (I made that mistake once. Took me far
longer than it should have to figure out what I did wrong.)

TJ

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<20220106191852.66ff6a6bf9a03119394a2c35@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4328&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4328

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 19:18:52 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 19:18 UTC

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 09:49:30 -0600
Bit Twister <BitTwister@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:36:54 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
> > I had not tried Mageia since having to drop it when Plasma 5 was first introduced.
> >

> I got tired of plasma crashes at the time and went with xfce.
>
> > I installed it as a virtual machine under VirtualBox, alongside XP and Windows 10.
> > It all went well except for two things:
> >
> > 1) Autologin doesn't, despite checking the settings; and
> > 2) I cannot access the host's directories.
>
> Can we assume you added your id to the vboxusers group on the host.
> You may have to create the group.
>
> If you do add your id be sure to log out/in to pick up the new group.
> Check with 'id -nG'
> '
> > The host is Mint and I use samba for file management.
> > The samba client was installed.
> > Although I set VirtualBox to share certain 'er shares. I cannot find them from Mageia.
> > Needless to say, I can do from either or both Windows VMs.
>
> Hope you did add the VirtualBox_Extension_Pack to the guest.

At the time, I tried to install cinnamon on Mageia but failed.
That is why I switched to Mint. There was a little bit of a learning curve but it was minimal.

When you refer to the vboxers group on the host, I presume you mean on Mint.
If so, it was already there.
I had not intalled the extension pack on Mageia. I have since but have hit other issues.

The shares come up in Dolphin but cannot be mounted unless I have adminstrator privileges.
I opened a terminal and tried to change the ownership etc (chown) of one share. After 10 minutes I stopped it.

It feels like starting Linux all over again. I expected the unintuitive os management from Microsoft but not from Mageia. Mandrake was never this irritating. :)

It doesn;'t look as though I am going to return to Mageia as my main Linux OS.
I will persevere but not now.

Thanks for trying to help.

Alan

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<slrnstemhg.2eup9.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4329&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4329

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:07:52 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 21:07 UTC

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 19:18:52 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 09:49:30 -0600
> Bit Twister <BitTwister@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:36:54 +0000, pinnerite wrote:
>> > I had not tried Mageia since having to drop it when Plasma 5 was first introduced.
>> >

>> I got tired of plasma crashes at the time and went with xfce.
>>
>> > I installed it as a virtual machine under VirtualBox, alongside XP and Windows 10.
>> > It all went well except for two things:
>> >
>> > 1) Autologin doesn't, despite checking the settings; and
>> > 2) I cannot access the host's directories.
>>
>> Can we assume you added your id to the vboxusers group on the host.
>> You may have to create the group.
>>
>> If you do add your id be sure to log out/in to pick up the new group.
>> Check with 'id -nG'
>> '
>> > The host is Mint and I use samba for file management.
>> > The samba client was installed.
>> > Although I set VirtualBox to share certain 'er shares. I cannot find them from Mageia.
>> > Needless to say, I can do from either or both Windows VMs.
>>
>> Hope you did add the VirtualBox_Extension_Pack to the guest.
>>

> At the time, I tried to install cinnamon on Mageia but failed.
> That is why I switched to Mint. There was a little bit of a learning curve but it was minimal.
>
> When you refer to the vboxers group on the host, I presume you mean on Mint.
> If so, it was already there.
> I had not intalled the extension pack on Mageia. I have since but have hit other issues.

Sorry that should be extension on the host and guest additions on the guest.

> The shares come up in Dolphin but cannot be mounted unless I have adminstrator privileges.

A good entry in /etc/fstab in the guest should help that.

> I opened a terminal and tried to change the ownership etc (chown) of one share. After 10 minutes I stopped it.

I had wondered if you had the same uid/gid and groups in the guest as you
do in the host for your login id.

> It feels like starting Linux all over again. I expected the unintuitive os management from Microsoft but not from Mageia. Mandrake was never this irritating. :)
>
> It doesn;'t look as though I am going to return to Mageia as my main Linux OS.
> I will persevere but not now.

I have never played with samba. My brain brook has
$ uh samba
_samba_tool_ smbclient -L mdk
_samba_tool_ smbclient //mdk/tmp
_samba_tool_ nmblookup -a mdk-S
_samba_swat_ http://localhost:901/
for looking at samba stuff.

You might look at a google search for vbox share since you have seemed
to have the share mounted in mageia guest.

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<sr8aot$rop$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4330&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4330

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 22:07:07 -0500
 by: TJ - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 03:07 UTC

On 1/6/22 14:18, pinnerite wrote:

> The shares come up in Dolphin but cannot be mounted unless I have adminstrator privileges.
> I opened a terminal and tried to change the ownership etc (chown) of one share. After 10 minutes I stopped it.
>
> It feels like starting Linux all over again. I expected the unintuitive os management from Microsoft but not from Mageia. Mandrake was never this irritating. :)

Your guest user has to be a member of the vboxsf group to have access to
the shared folders.

That's a VirtualBox thing, not a Mageia thing. It's the same with any
Linux guest.

TJ

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<ss1jic$803$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4394&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4394

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 04:10:34 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:10 UTC

On 7/1/22 14:07, TJ wrote:
> On 1/6/22 14:18, pinnerite wrote:
>

>> The shares come up in Dolphin but cannot be mounted unless I have
>> adminstrator privileges.
>> I opened a terminal and tried to change the ownership etc (chown) of
>> one share. After 10 minutes I stopped it.
>>
>> It feels like starting Linux all over again. I expected the
>> unintuitive os management from Microsoft but not from Mageia. Mandrake
>> was never this irritating. :)
>>
> Your guest user has to be a member of the vboxsf group to have access to
> the shared folders.
>
> That's a VirtualBox thing, not a Mageia thing. It's the same with any
> Linux guest.
>
> TJ

We all have to do it. Open Userdrake or MCC->System->Users->Edit User.
Then open Groups. There is an alphabetical list. Check the group
vboxusers. Then back out but beware: You need to set your user password
again in the first screen before you exit.

Hopefully, you will have better luck than I am having. I won't repeat
my problems with VirtualBox here. I have fiddled with qemu/kvm, but I
don't have enough marbles left.

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<ss1kmv$qid$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4395&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4395

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 04:30:06 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:30 UTC

On 17/1/22 04:10, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On 7/1/22 14:07, TJ wrote:
>> On 1/6/22 14:18, pinnerite wrote:
>>

>>> The shares come up in Dolphin but cannot be mounted unless I have
>>> adminstrator privileges.
>>> I opened a terminal and tried to change the ownership etc (chown) of
>>> one share. After 10 minutes I stopped it.
>>>
>>> It feels like starting Linux all over again. I expected the
>>> unintuitive os management from Microsoft but not from Mageia.
>>> Mandrake was never this irritating. :)
>>>
>> Your guest user has to be a member of the vboxsf group to have access
>> to the shared folders.
>>
>> That's a VirtualBox thing, not a Mageia thing. It's the same with any
>> Linux guest.
>>
>> TJ
>>
> We all have to do it.  Open Userdrake or MCC->System->Users->Edit User.
>  Then open Groups.  There is an alphabetical list.  Check the group
> vboxusers.  Then back out but beware: You need to set your user password
> again in the first screen before you exit.
>
> Hopefully, you will have better luck than I am having.  I won't repeat
> my problems with VirtualBox here. I have fiddled with qemu/kvm, but I
> don't have enough marbles left.

As TJ said, this applies to anybody running VBox, but you have been
using Mint. Mint is designed to make everything easier, and may have
made the change for you. I set up a local newsgroups server under Mint.
Not only was the software installed, but it was already configured for
hourly connections to the Internet. I wouldn't be surprised if your
permissions under VB were created in a similar fashion. In most
distros, you need to do it yourself.

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<ss3b29$jpp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4406&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4406

From: her...@invalid.invalid (Herman Viaene)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:57:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Herman Viaene - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:57 UTC

Op Mon, 17 Jan 2022 04:10:34 +1100, schreef Doug Laidlaw:

> On 7/1/22 14:07, TJ wrote:
>> On 1/6/22 14:18, pinnerite wrote:
>>

>>> The shares come up in Dolphin but cannot be mounted unless I have
>>> adminstrator privileges.
>>> I opened a terminal and tried to change the ownership etc (chown) of
>>> one share. After 10 minutes I stopped it.
>>>
>>> It feels like starting Linux all over again. I expected the
>>> unintuitive os management from Microsoft but not from Mageia. Mandrake
>>> was never this irritating. :)
>>>
>> Your guest user has to be a member of the vboxsf group to have access
>> to the shared folders.
>>
>> That's a VirtualBox thing, not a Mageia thing. It's the same with any
>> Linux guest.
>>
>> TJ
>>
> We all have to do it. Open Userdrake or MCC->System->Users->Edit User.
> Then open Groups. There is an alphabetical list. Check the group
> vboxusers. Then back out but beware: You need to set your user password
> again in the first screen before you exit.

That last step isn't necessary, I've never needed this nor done it. And
I've played around with groups quite a bit. But keep your fingers (mouse
pointer) out of the first tabbox.

Herman Viaene

> Hopefully, you will have better luck than I am having. I won't repeat
> my problems with VirtualBox here. I have fiddled with qemu/kvm, but I
> don't have enough marbles left.

Re: Just trying Mageia 8

<ssa1b1$mf5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4409&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4409

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:54:39 -0500
 by: TJ - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:54 UTC

On 1/16/22 12:10, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On 7/1/22 14:07, TJ wrote:
>> On 1/6/22 14:18, pinnerite wrote:
>>

>>> The shares come up in Dolphin but cannot be mounted unless I have
>>> adminstrator privileges.
>>> I opened a terminal and tried to change the ownership etc (chown) of
>>> one share. After 10 minutes I stopped it.
>>>
>>> It feels like starting Linux all over again. I expected the
>>> unintuitive os management from Microsoft but not from Mageia.
>>> Mandrake was never this irritating. :)
>>>
>> Your guest user has to be a member of the vboxsf group to have access
>> to the shared folders.
>>
>> That's a VirtualBox thing, not a Mageia thing. It's the same with any
>> Linux guest.
>>
>> TJ
>>
> We all have to do it.  Open Userdrake or MCC->System->Users->Edit User.
>  Then open Groups.  There is an alphabetical list.  Check the group
> vboxusers.  Then back out but beware: You need to set your user password
> again in the first screen before you exit.
>
> Hopefully, you will have better luck than I am having.  I won't repeat
> my problems with VirtualBox here. I have fiddled with qemu/kvm, but I
> don't have enough marbles left.

You missed my point.

Yes, users on the host need to be part of the vboxusers group.

But, users on Linux guest systems have to be members of the vboxsf group
to have access to shared folders.

It's also necessary to have the proper guest additions installed if
shared folders are to work. For Mageia guests, Mageia provides and
maintains the guest additions. I don't know about other distros when
used as guests, as Mageia is the only Linux I use.

TJ