Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: IBM experience a plus?
From: ramse...@gmail.com (ramseyhere)
 by: ramseyhere - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:10 UTC

We have a position to fill for an MCP support person, dedicated to a single account. As one might expect, there aren't a plethora of MCP-experienced folks banging down our door for the job. We are getting folks with deep IBM backgrounds (Z/OS, CICS, etc.)

Here's my question - would those of you who have worked in both camps (MCP and Z/OS) consider such a person a good candidate? I"ve worked in MCP systems for 45 years and have never touched an IBM environment.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
ler

Re: IBM experience a plus?

<uhe65h$1no9k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=436&group=comp.sys.unisys#436

From: sfu...@alumni.cmu.edu.invalid (Stephen Fuld)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Subject: Re: IBM experience a plus?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 10:03:46 -0700
 by: Stephen Fuld - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:03 UTC

On 10/24/2023 1:10 PM, ramseyhere wrote:
> We have a position to fill for an MCP support person, dedicated to a single account. As one might expect, there aren't a plethora of MCP-experienced folks banging down our door for the job. We are getting folks with deep IBM backgrounds (Z/OS, CICS, etc.)
>
> Here's my question - would those of you who have worked in both camps (MCP and Z/OS) consider such a person a good candidate? I"ve worked in MCP systems for 45 years and have never touched an IBM environment.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Since no one else has responded, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

While both Z/OS and MCP systems are mainframes, and so such a candidate
would benefit from the "mainframe mindset", i.e. the importance of up
time, the discipline in making changes, multi-user environment, etc.
there are profound differences between the two systems, so any specific
knowledge is simply not applicable.

Hope this helps.

--
- Stephen Fuld

Re: IBM experience a plus?

<e62f58c1-dc1e-4a02-ac23-4f513dc27ca5@digm.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=437&group=comp.sys.unisys#437

From: paul.kim...@digm.com (Paul Kimpel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:46:24 -0700
 by: Paul Kimpel - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:46 UTC

> On 10/24/2023 1:10 PM, ramseyhere wrote:
>> We have a position to fill for an MCP support person, dedicated to a
>> single account.  As one might expect, there aren't a plethora of
>> MCP-experienced folks banging down our door for the job.  We are
>> getting folks with deep IBM backgrounds (Z/OS, CICS, etc.)
>>
>> Here's my question - would those of you who have worked in both camps
>> (MCP and Z/OS) consider such a person a good candidate?  I"ve worked
>> in MCP systems for 45 years and have never touched an IBM environment.
>>
>> Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Since no one else has responded, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
>
> While both Z/OS and MCP systems are mainframes, and so such a candidate
> would benefit from the "mainframe mindset", i.e. the importance of up
> time, the discipline in making changes, multi-user environment, etc.
> there are profound differences between the two systems, so any specific
> knowledge is simply not applicable.
>
> Hope this helps.

I'll echo Stephen's comments. I have some IBM mainframe experience from
the 370 era, and most of that with DOS/VS. COBOL skills are fairly
transferable, once a person masters the differences in data
representations, file systems, and software development practices, but
beyond that there's no significant transferability. Data bases, OLTP,
communications, batch control, source maintenance tools, debugging
techniques, etc., are all so different that an IBM-experienced person
coming to the MCP would be a stranger in a strange land, and not only
inept, but likely dangerous.

You could consider doing this for an application developer, if you had
the time tutor them on MCP differences and supervise their initial work,
but for an MCP support position, I think it would take one to two years,
minimum, of study and mentoring before you could risk even introducing
them to a client.

Paul