"The only way for a reporter to look at a politician is down." -- H. L. Mencken

computers / alt.windows7.general / Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

SubjectAuthor
* Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7Paul in Houston TX
`* Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7Paul
 `* Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7Paul in Houston TX
  `* Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7Paul
   `* Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7Paul in Houston TX
    +- Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7Paul
    `* Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7DanS
     `- Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7Paul

1
Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

<t8od0a$ner$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4415&group=alt.windows7.general#4415

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 18:54:47 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 23:54 UTC

Any one have any experience or suggestions getting the wifi part of a AC
8260 m.2 modem working with Win 7?

Both Wifi and BT work fine with W10 using either Sata or NVME cpu's.
BT works ok with W7. Wifi does NOT work with W7.
This is for a Lenovo T460s work comp and I would rather get an old W7
O/S from a Lenovo T410 working on the 460 than have to fresh install W10
and load all the work software which may or may not work on W10.

I have tried ~30 W7/W10 BT and wifi drivers. Tried Sata SSD cpu, NVME
SSD cpu, legacy Bios boot, UEFI boot, UEFI Pcie and legacy peripheral
settings. I've gone over the registry, device mgr, and and services.
Nothing shows anything wrong. Tried installing wifi drivers only -
still no good. The best that I can figure is that AC 8260 wifi simply
does not work with W7. (I know there are cheap usb/wifi plug-in's but
would rather get the internal wifi working.)

TIA.

Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

<t8ojma$1f3m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4416&group=alt.windows7.general#4416

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 21:48:57 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 01:48 UTC

On 6/19/2022 7:54 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Any one have any experience or suggestions getting the wifi part of a AC 8260 m.2 modem working with Win 7?
>
> Both Wifi and BT work fine with W10 using either Sata or NVME cpu's.
> BT works ok with W7.  Wifi does NOT work with W7.
> This is for a Lenovo T460s work comp and I would rather get an old W7 O/S from a Lenovo T410 working on the 460 than have to fresh install W10 and load all the work software which may or may not work on W10.
>
> I have tried ~30 W7/W10 BT and wifi drivers.  Tried Sata SSD cpu, NVME SSD cpu, legacy Bios boot, UEFI boot, UEFI Pcie and legacy peripheral settings.  I've gone over the registry, device mgr, and and services.
> Nothing shows anything wrong.  Tried installing wifi drivers only - still no good.  The best that I can figure is that AC 8260 wifi simply does not work with W7.  (I know there are cheap usb/wifi plug-in's but would rather get the internal wifi working.)
>
> TIA.

There's a ProSet driver here.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/16502/intel-proset-wireless-software-and-drivers-for-windows-7.html

Paul

Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

<t8okeo$10q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4417&group=alt.windows7.general#4417

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 21:01:58 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 02:01 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 6/19/2022 7:54 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> Any one have any experience or suggestions getting the wifi part of a
>> AC 8260 m.2 modem working with Win 7?
>>
>> Both Wifi and BT work fine with W10 using either Sata or NVME cpu's.
>> BT works ok with W7.  Wifi does NOT work with W7.
>> This is for a Lenovo T460s work comp and I would rather get an old W7
>> O/S from a Lenovo T410 working on the 460 than have to fresh install
>> W10 and load all the work software which may or may not work on W10.
>>
>> I have tried ~30 W7/W10 BT and wifi drivers.  Tried Sata SSD cpu, NVME
>> SSD cpu, legacy Bios boot, UEFI boot, UEFI Pcie and legacy peripheral
>> settings.  I've gone over the registry, device mgr, and and services.
>> Nothing shows anything wrong.  Tried installing wifi drivers only -
>> still no good.  The best that I can figure is that AC 8260 wifi simply
>> does not work with W7.  (I know there are cheap usb/wifi plug-in's but
>> would rather get the internal wifi working.)
>>
>> TIA.
>
> There's a ProSet driver here.
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/16502/intel-proset-wireless-software-and-drivers-for-windows-7.html
>

>    Paul

Thanks, Paul.
That was one of the first ones that I tried.
Now working my way back to year 2016 drivers and uninstalling and
deleting the driver data each time, and then rebooting one or more times
between drivers, checking bios, etc.

Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

<t8omnn$d47$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4418&group=alt.windows7.general#4418

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 22:40:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 02:40 UTC

On 6/19/2022 10:01 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> On 6/19/2022 7:54 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>>> Any one have any experience or suggestions getting the wifi part of a AC 8260 m.2 modem working with Win 7?
>>>
>>> Both Wifi and BT work fine with W10 using either Sata or NVME cpu's.
>>> BT works ok with W7.  Wifi does NOT work with W7.
>>> This is for a Lenovo T460s work comp and I would rather get an old W7 O/S from a Lenovo T410 working on the 460 than have to fresh install W10 and load all the work software which may or may not work on W10.
>>>
>>> I have tried ~30 W7/W10 BT and wifi drivers.  Tried Sata SSD cpu, NVME SSD cpu, legacy Bios boot, UEFI boot, UEFI Pcie and legacy peripheral settings.  I've gone over the registry, device mgr, and and services.
>>> Nothing shows anything wrong.  Tried installing wifi drivers only - still no good.  The best that I can figure is that AC 8260 wifi simply does not work with W7.  (I know there are cheap usb/wifi plug-in's but would rather get the internal wifi working.)
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>
>> There's a ProSet driver here.
>>
>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/16502/intel-proset-wireless-software-and-drivers-for-windows-7.html
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Thanks, Paul.
> That was one of the first ones that I tried.
> Now working my way back to year 2016 drivers and uninstalling and deleting the driver data each time, and then rebooting one or more times between drivers, checking bios, etc.

There are other things you could try:

1) Backup first.
2a) Repair install, followed by Wifi driver install.
2b) Delete ENUM key, which has all the discovered hardware in it.
Then install the driver. I tested ENUM on Windows 10, using the
Registry Editor in Kaspersky Rescue CD to delete ENUM. System came
up, rediscovered all hardware, just fine. That means the contents of
ENUM are regenerated the hard way (sans any corrupt entries).

There is also a deal, on "Centrino" laptops, where if you plug in a "non-compliant"
Wifi adapter with the chipset, the *BIOS* disables it. Now, the review for the unit,
shows the 8260 shipped with the laptop, so this should not have happened. It
seems this is the correct module for the machine. But there have been
cases, where a user unplugs their Intel module, and an installed replacement
then won't work. And it's a BIOS issue. Part of Intel product placement
and enforcing some kind of rules for "Centrino" branding.

Paul

Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

<t8q5h5$c3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4419&group=alt.windows7.general#4419

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:59:28 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 15:59 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 6/19/2022 10:01 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> There's a ProSet driver here.
>>>
>>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/16502/intel-proset-wireless-software-and-drivers-for-windows-7.html
>>>

>>>     Paul
>>
>> Thanks, Paul.
>> That was one of the first ones that I tried.
>> Now working my way back to year 2016 drivers and uninstalling and
>> deleting the driver data each time, and then rebooting one or more
>> times between drivers, checking bios, etc.
>
> There are other things you could try:
>
> 1) Backup first.
> 2a) Repair install, followed by Wifi driver install.
> 2b) Delete ENUM key, which has all the discovered hardware in it.
>     Then install the driver. I tested ENUM on Windows 10, using the
>     Registry Editor in Kaspersky Rescue CD to delete ENUM. System came
>     up, rediscovered all hardware, just fine. That means the contents of
>     ENUM are regenerated the hard way (sans any corrupt entries).
>
> There is also a deal, on "Centrino" laptops, where if you plug in a
> "non-compliant"
> Wifi adapter with the chipset, the *BIOS* disables it. Now, the review
> for the unit,
> shows the 8260 shipped with the laptop, so this should not have
> happened. It
> seems this is the correct module for the machine. But there have been
> cases, where a user unplugs their Intel module, and an installed
> replacement
> then won't work. And it's a BIOS issue. Part of Intel product placement
> and enforcing some kind of rules for "Centrino" branding.
>
>    Paul

Thanks, Paul.

I tried 1 & 2a last week - no good.
Will look into 2b but have work travel coming up so it will be a while.
The 8260 modem as built system with W10 works ok. No issues.
But... the system came with a Sata m.2 and I tried replacing it with a
spare NVMe m.2. I am beginning to think that the NVMe is using or
disabling the sata channels that the wifi needs.
This may be similar to my gamer machine in that the second NVMe uses and
disables Sata 5 & 6. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare sata m.2 to
test and I don't want to wipe the W10 Enterprise chip to test.

Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

<t8q6l4$mar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4421&group=alt.windows7.general#4421

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 12:18:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:18 UTC

On 6/20/2022 11:59 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> Thanks, Paul.
>
> I tried 1 & 2a last week - no good.
> Will look into 2b but have work travel coming up so it will be a while.
> The 8260 modem as built system with W10 works ok.  No issues.
> But... the system came with a Sata m.2 and I tried replacing it with a spare NVMe m.2.  I am beginning to think that the NVMe is using or disabling the sata channels that the wifi needs.
> This may be similar to my gamer machine in that the second NVMe uses and disables Sata 5 & 6.  Unfortunately, I don't have a spare sata m.2 to test and I don't want to wipe the W10 Enterprise chip to test.

Would a lsusb or lspci enumerate what is currently bus connected ?

That means testing with a Linux Live on a USB stick or on a DVD.

Where the Wifi plugs in, has both USB2 and a regular bus connection (PCIe).
For high performance modules (8260), it likely needs PCIe for the
transfer rate. Then, "lspci" should name the device if it is detect-able.
The "lspci" covers legacy PCI and newer PCIe.

The Intel FLEXIO in the PCH is responsible for the sharing game and
the loss of function. There is some interaction between the usage
of M.2 slots and a couple SATA ports. And a designer can also try
and make support for another M.2 slot out of regular
PCIe lanes.

This can be "fixed" (Gigabyte mobos do this sometimes) using
PCIe switch chips to share the lanes, and selecting lanes
the FLEXIO leaves enabled.

On retail desktop boards, there are usually if-then-else tables for
the shortcomings of FLEXIO, in the user manual. A laptop of course,
the customer is not supposed to know this stuff :-)

Paul

Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

<XnsAEC0EA3F32B90thisnthatroadrunnern@216.166.97.131>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4424&group=alt.windows7.general#4424

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: t.h.i.s....@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 22:01:38 -0500
 by: DanS - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 03:01 UTC

Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote in

> Paul wrote:

<SNIP>

> to think that the NVMe is using or disabling the sata
> channels that the wifi needs. This may be similar to my
> gamer machine in that the second NVMe uses and disables
> Sata 5 & 6. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare sata m.2
> to test and I don't want to wipe the W10 Enterprise chip to
> test.

A look at the motherboard info should verify that.

My son wanted to add a 1TB HDD to the PC I built for him a year ago, that used an M.2
SSD. I was like "WTF is going on here?!?!?!" when the brand new spinning drive
wasn't recognized on either of the two easily assessible SATA conns on the
motherboard.

As it turns out, those SATA ports are disabled when an M.2 device is being used.

DS

Re: Intel AC 8260 BT/ Wifi m.2 modem vs. Win 7

<t965rg$hj8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4425&group=alt.windows7.general#4425

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 01:18:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 05:18 UTC

On 6/24/2022 11:01 PM, DanS wrote:
> Paul in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote in
>
>> Paul wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>

>> to think that the NVMe is using or disabling the sata
>> channels that the wifi needs. This may be similar to my
>> gamer machine in that the second NVMe uses and disables
>> Sata 5 & 6. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare sata m.2
>> to test and I don't want to wipe the W10 Enterprise chip to
>> test.
>
> A look at the motherboard info should verify that.
>
> My son wanted to add a 1TB HDD to the PC I built for him a year ago, that used an M.2
> SSD. I was like "WTF is going on here?!?!?!" when the brand new spinning drive
> wasn't recognized on either of the two easily assessible SATA conns on the
> motherboard.
>
> As it turns out, those SATA ports are disabled when an M.2 device is being used.
>

> DS

If you find a web article on "Intel FLEXIO" on PCH chips,
like on Anandtech, they explain there which interfaces
don't share, and which ones do.

When you have six SATA, two of those SATA are troublemakers.

Paul