"One lawyer can steal more than a hundred men with guns." -- The Godfather

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september? (was: How to avoid WFrank Slootweg
+* Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september? (was: How to avoJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|`- Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?Frank Slootweg
`* Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?Paul
 `- Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?Frank Slootweg

1
[OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september? (was: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission)

<t9fckd.bqc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4427&group=alt.windows7.general#4427

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.windows7.general
Subject: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september? (was: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission)
Date: 28 Jun 2022 15:09:45 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 15:09 UTC

[Added alt.windows7.general]

Zaidy036 <Eric@bloch.com> wrote:
> On 6/27/2022 3:39 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 at 13:10:57, Zaidy036 <Eric@Bloch.com> wrote (my
> > []
> >> One alternative is to leave UAC active but run a program from a batch
> >> initiated from a shortcut which uses a "button pusher" like PTFBpro to
> >> acknowledge the UAC. That way when you run from the shortcut UAC is
> >> accepted but if something else tries to run a program UAC is still
> >> invoked.
> >
> > Eric/Zaidy, your above post appeared three times, at least here - all
> > dated today, but timestamped (I think my local time [BST, GMT+1])
> > 18:8:59, 18:9:57, and 18:10:57.
> >
> > (Interesting idea by the way.)
>
> It seems an e-s problem and I tried to delete after I saw the dups.

Yes, it's some kind of eternal-september.org problem and it's all over
the place. (Also two from Mayayana in this thread.)

Multiple - sometimes upto five or so - copies of the same - or very
similar - posts with slightly different timestamps and different
Message-IDs.

It's rather annoying (and a waste of space for people/news-servers
who/which keep articles for a long(er) time).

Anyone knows what's going on?

Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september? (was: How to avoid Windows from asking for permission)

<+lg$+WAUKyuiFwmC@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4428&group=alt.windows7.general#4428

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 16:47:32 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 15:47 UTC

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 15:09:45, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>[Added alt.windows7.general]
>
>Zaidy036 <Eric@bloch.com> wrote:
>> On 6/27/2022 3:39 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[]
>> > Eric/Zaidy, your above post appeared three times, at least here - all
>> > dated today, but timestamped (I think my local time [BST, GMT+1])
>> > 18:8:59, 18:9:57, and 18:10:57.
>> >
>> > (Interesting idea by the way.)
>>
>> It seems an e-s problem and I tried to delete after I saw the dups.
>
> Yes, it's some kind of eternal-september.org problem and it's all over
>the place. (Also two from Mayayana in this thread.)

Ah, apologies - I thought it might be Zaidy's problem.

> Multiple - sometimes upto five or so - copies of the same - or very
>similar - posts with slightly different timestamps and different
>Message-IDs.
>
> It's rather annoying (and a waste of space for people/news-servers
>who/which keep articles for a long(er) time).
>
> Anyone knows what's going on?

Steady on - I would imagine Ray is looking at it; given that we (I,
anyway) use E-S for free, I wouldn't quite put it quite like that -
report fact yes (the additional fact abut MIDs might be useful), tone
perhaps different?

The best way to achieve immortality is by not dying.

Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?

<t9fb84$14q0m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4429&group=alt.windows7.general#4429

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 12:45:55 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 16:45 UTC

On 6/28/2022 11:09 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> [Added alt.windows7.general]
>
> Zaidy036 <Eric@bloch.com> wrote:
>> On 6/27/2022 3:39 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 at 13:10:57, Zaidy036 <Eric@Bloch.com> wrote (my
>>> []
>>>
>>> Eric/Zaidy, your above post appeared three times, at least here - all
>>> dated today, but timestamped (I think my local time [BST, GMT+1])
>>> 18:8:59, 18:9:57, and 18:10:57.
>>>
>>> (Interesting idea by the way.)
>>
>> It seems an e-s problem and I tried to delete after I saw the dups.
>
> Yes, it's some kind of eternal-september.org problem and it's all over
> the place. (Also two from Mayayana in this thread.)
>
> Multiple - sometimes upto five or so - copies of the same - or very
> similar - posts with slightly different timestamps and different
> Message-IDs.
>
> It's rather annoying (and a waste of space for people/news-servers
> who/which keep articles for a long(er) time).
>
> Anyone knows what's going on?

What's going on, is some database message is coming back
from E-S, once a post is submitted. The database message
indicates an error. The client thinks the post did not make
it. The server thinks the post made it.

Clients with automatic-retry capability, will in this
situation go nuts.

I tried reproducing this today, and it would not work for me.

Paul

Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?

<t9fq9s.cg4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4430&group=alt.windows7.general#4430

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.windows7.general
Date: 28 Jun 2022 19:03:02 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:03 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 6/28/2022 11:09 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > [Added alt.windows7.general]
> >
> > Zaidy036 <Eric@bloch.com> wrote:

> >> It seems an e-s problem and I tried to delete after I saw the dups.
> >
> > Yes, it's some kind of eternal-september.org problem and it's all over
> > the place. (Also two from Mayayana in this thread.)
> >
> > Multiple - sometimes upto five or so - copies of the same - or very
> > similar - posts with slightly different timestamps and different
> > Message-IDs.
> >
> > It's rather annoying (and a waste of space for people/news-servers
> > who/which keep articles for a long(er) time).
> >
> > Anyone knows what's going on?
> >

> What's going on, is some database message is coming back
> from E-S, once a post is submitted. The database message
> indicates an error. The client thinks the post did not make
> it. The server thinks the post made it.
>
> Clients with automatic-retry capability, will in this
> situation go nuts.

Thanks for the info. In this case, I think 'the client' is the human,
not the (newsreader) software. Zaidy uses Thunderbird, Mayayana uses
Outlook Express. I'm quite sure that Thunderbird will give an error
message and will not auto-retry. Probably the same for Outlook Express.

> I tried reproducing this today, and it would not work for me.

That's probaly because your newsreader doesn't only catch rats, but
apparently also server failures! :-)

Re: [OT] What's up with the multi-posts from eternal-september?

<t9fqtg.cg4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4431&group=alt.windows7.general#4431

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.windows7.general
Date: 28 Jun 2022 19:13:29 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:13 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 15:09:45, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
> >[Added alt.windows7.general]
> >
> >Zaidy036 <Eric@bloch.com> wrote:
> >> On 6/27/2022 3:39 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> []

> >> It seems an e-s problem and I tried to delete after I saw the dups.
> >
> > Yes, it's some kind of eternal-september.org problem and it's all over
> >the place. (Also two from Mayayana in this thread.)
>
> Ah, apologies - I thought it might be Zaidy's problem.
> >
> > Multiple - sometimes upto five or so - copies of the same - or very
> >similar - posts with slightly different timestamps and different
> >Message-IDs.
> >
> > It's rather annoying (and a waste of space for people/news-servers
> >who/which keep articles for a long(er) time).
> >
> > Anyone knows what's going on?
>
> Steady on - I would imagine Ray is looking at it; given that we (I,
> anyway) use E-S for free, I wouldn't quite put it quite like that -
> report fact yes (the additional fact abut MIDs might be useful), tone
> perhaps different?

"tone perhaps different?" Huh!? I'm not 'reporting' anything, I'm just
describing a problem with posts from E-S. If I had realized you're an
E-S user, I would have asked/addressed you. (You're one of the few E-S
users who have changed/set their 'Organization:' header.)

If I was using E-S, I would of course have checked with them first,
but I'm not and never have been.