FORTRAN is the language of Powerful Computers. -- Steven Feiner

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

SubjectAuthor
* Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Eric Stevens
+* Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Paul
|+* Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Char Jackson
||`* Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Eric Stevens
|| `- Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Eric Stevens
|`* Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Eric Stevens
| `- Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Paul
+- Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10nospam
`* Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Chris
 `* Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Eric Stevens
  `- Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10Chris

1
Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<dgl3ag1nh8oi806r49l38d58a8h2b7qrop@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44435&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44435

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:46:24 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Mon, 17 May 2021 02:46 UTC

I have an iPhone and an iPad. My main computing is done on a W10
desktop. I have linked my Windows Calendar to the those on the Apple
devices for years. Recently if I want to consult my calendar from the
desk top the system has started asking me to log in with password,
then enter a six digit pin sent over my iPhone and finally it tells me
that someone has been contacting my calendar call number etc.

This seems be rather more than can be justified for merely wanting to
know my next appointment with my dentist. Does anyone know any simpler
way of linking the W10 desktop calendar with those on on the Apple
devices? I should add I don't want to use Outlook or Edge if at all
possible.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<s7t7ha$2e2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44437&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44437

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 03:55:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 17 May 2021 07:55 UTC

Eric Stevens wrote:
> I have an iPhone and an iPad. My main computing is done on a W10
> desktop. I have linked my Windows Calendar to the those on the Apple
> devices for years. Recently if I want to consult my calendar from the
> desk top the system has started asking me to log in with password,
> then enter a six digit pin sent over my iPhone and finally it tells me
> that someone has been contacting my calendar call number etc.
>
> This seems be rather more than can be justified for merely wanting to
> know my next appointment with my dentist. Does anyone know any simpler
> way of linking the W10 desktop calendar with those on on the Apple
> devices? I should add I don't want to use Outlook or Edge if at all
> possible.

They talk of an "app-generated password" here. Some sort of
security change years ago.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/caldav-and-carddav-icloud-server-suddenly-says-unauthorized-after-working-just-fine-for-years/46145/12

Windows 10 has Mail and Calendar, which apparently only sync with
"selected" others.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/windows-pim-sync-partnersonly.html

The CalDav itself, seems to have plenty of support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV

You could run a virtual machine on your Windows box,
with the function contained in it. Now, I love VMs, but
recipes like this, hardly ever work. And besides, the
drawbridge has probably already been pulled up. I have
a couple setups I did get running, eons ago (using
optical media on-site), but that hardly counts in
todays environment.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macos-windows-10-virtual-machine/

The idea there is, you'd log into your Apple account and
add the VM as a "trusted machine" just for the purposes
of avoiding complicated authentication. The VM then, gives
you an App window to stare at, with a real Apple Calendar in it.
Then, the annoyance level, is the same amount of annoyance
Apple gives its own customers.

Then, click the "X" on the VM window (upper-right)
to park ("save state") the VM between uses, so it's not
rebooting all the time. The problem with that concept, is
parking machines over and over again, is like running a
Space Shuttle - maybe 1 in 100 flights blows up,
reliability issue. And for this to be practical, the
OS being blown up has to have journaling capability so that there's
no perceived file system damage due to unclean shutdowns.
(Win98 FAT32 might not be a good candidate.) Windows 10, is now
fairly tolerant of surprises. I unintentionally test this stuff
sometimes, and it seems to come back OK afterwards.

As an example of an unintentional test case, if I give a
Windows 10 VM the command to shutdown, I don't mean "maybe".
Sometimes, apps seem to be able to hang up the shutdown
process (screen not updating), and I just power down the OS
when it does that, and "dirty shutdown it" as punishment. And
it seems to come back OK. Normally in an OS, we expect a
"supervisory task" in the OS to be a "boss" and kick any
subtending processes in the nuts. But Windows 10 doesn't
always seem to work that way in a VM. Thank goodness VMs
have controls that work.

Paul

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<170520210601530502%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44441&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44441

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 06:01:53 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 17 May 2021 10:01 UTC

In article <dgl3ag1nh8oi806r49l38d58a8h2b7qrop@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens
<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

> I have an iPhone and an iPad. My main computing is done on a W10
> desktop. I have linked my Windows Calendar to the those on the Apple
> devices for years. Recently if I want to consult my calendar from the
> desk top the system has started asking me to log in with password,
> then enter a six digit pin sent over my iPhone and finally it tells me
> that someone has been contacting my calendar call number etc.
>
> This seems be rather more than can be justified for merely wanting to
> know my next appointment with my dentist. Does anyone know any simpler
> way of linking the W10 desktop calendar with those on on the Apple
> devices? I should add I don't want to use Outlook or Edge if at all
> possible.

you're going to have to authenticate, which requires a code sent to one
of your devices. once you log in, you can stay logged in.

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<r085agp73qraplfm40b0knr1uftbtg2h2f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44458&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44458

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 12:00:22 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 17 May 2021 17:00 UTC

On Mon, 17 May 2021 03:55:22 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>You could run a virtual machine on your Windows box,
>with the function contained in it. Now, I love VMs, but
>recipes like this, hardly ever work. And besides, the
>drawbridge has probably already been pulled up. I have
>a couple setups I did get running, eons ago (using
>optical media on-site), but that hardly counts in
>todays environment.
>
>https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macos-windows-10-virtual-machine/
>
>The idea there is, you'd log into your Apple account and
>add the VM as a "trusted machine" just for the purposes
>of avoiding complicated authentication. The VM then, gives
>you an App window to stare at, with a real Apple Calendar in it.
>Then, the annoyance level, is the same amount of annoyance
>Apple gives its own customers.
>
>Then, click the "X" on the VM window (upper-right)
>to park ("save state") the VM between uses, so it's not
>rebooting all the time. The problem with that concept, is
>parking machines over and over again, is like running a
>Space Shuttle - maybe 1 in 100 flights blows up,
>reliability issue. And for this to be practical, the
>OS being blown up has to have journaling capability so that there's
>no perceived file system damage due to unclean shutdowns.
>(Win98 FAT32 might not be a good candidate.) Windows 10, is now
>fairly tolerant of surprises. I unintentionally test this stuff
>sometimes, and it seems to come back OK afterwards.
>
>As an example of an unintentional test case, if I give a
>Windows 10 VM the command to shutdown, I don't mean "maybe".
>Sometimes, apps seem to be able to hang up the shutdown
>process (screen not updating), and I just power down the OS
>when it does that, and "dirty shutdown it" as punishment. And
>it seems to come back OK. Normally in an OS, we expect a
>"supervisory task" in the OS to be a "boss" and kick any
>subtending processes in the nuts. But Windows 10 doesn't
>always seem to work that way in a VM. Thank goodness VMs
>have controls that work.

In the 10 years or so that I've been making heavy use of VMs, I've never
had the problems that you describe above. My guess is that it's because I
use VMware as the hypervisor rather than what you use, but I don't really
want to test that theory.

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<ml96agtd9rrpgp52n67p1irshd5cbktgn0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44476&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44476

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 14:31:29 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Tue, 18 May 2021 02:31 UTC

wrote:

> [...]
>OS being blown up has to have journaling capability so that there's
>no perceived file system damage due to unclean shutdowns.
>(Win98 FAT32 might not be a good candidate.) Windows 10, is now
>fairly tolerant of surprises. I unintentionally test this stuff
>sometimes, and it seems to come back OK afterwards.
>
>As an example of an unintentional test case, if I give a
>Windows 10 VM the command to shutdown, I don't mean "maybe".
>Sometimes, apps seem to be able to hang up the shutdown
>process (screen not updating), and I just power down the OS
>when it does that, and "dirty shutdown it" as punishment. And
>it seems to come back OK. Normally in an OS, we expect a
>"supervisory task" in the OS to be a "boss" and kick any
>subtending processes in the nuts. But Windows 10 doesn't
>always seem to work that way in a VM. Thank goodness VMs

After reading all that I wondered if I would be better off just buying
a separate iPad for use alongside my desk top. :-)
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<cp96ag55dlflm6eqaldlt171hc0623cier@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44477&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44477

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 14:33:22 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Tue, 18 May 2021 02:33 UTC

On Mon, 17 May 2021 12:00:22 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 May 2021 03:55:22 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>>You could run a virtual machine on your Windows box,
>>with the function contained in it. Now, I love VMs, but
>>recipes like this, hardly ever work. And besides, the
>>drawbridge has probably already been pulled up. I have
>>a couple setups I did get running, eons ago (using
>>optical media on-site), but that hardly counts in
>>todays environment.
>>
>>https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macos-windows-10-virtual-machine/
>>
>>The idea there is, you'd log into your Apple account and
>>add the VM as a "trusted machine" just for the purposes
>>of avoiding complicated authentication. The VM then, gives
>>you an App window to stare at, with a real Apple Calendar in it.
>>Then, the annoyance level, is the same amount of annoyance
>>Apple gives its own customers.
>>
>>Then, click the "X" on the VM window (upper-right)
>>to park ("save state") the VM between uses, so it's not
>>rebooting all the time. The problem with that concept, is
>>parking machines over and over again, is like running a
>>Space Shuttle - maybe 1 in 100 flights blows up,
>>reliability issue. And for this to be practical, the
>>OS being blown up has to have journaling capability so that there's
>>no perceived file system damage due to unclean shutdowns.
>>(Win98 FAT32 might not be a good candidate.) Windows 10, is now
>>fairly tolerant of surprises. I unintentionally test this stuff
>>sometimes, and it seems to come back OK afterwards.
>>
>>As an example of an unintentional test case, if I give a
>>Windows 10 VM the command to shutdown, I don't mean "maybe".
>>Sometimes, apps seem to be able to hang up the shutdown
>>process (screen not updating), and I just power down the OS
>>when it does that, and "dirty shutdown it" as punishment. And
>>it seems to come back OK. Normally in an OS, we expect a
>>"supervisory task" in the OS to be a "boss" and kick any
>>subtending processes in the nuts. But Windows 10 doesn't
>>always seem to work that way in a VM. Thank goodness VMs
>>have controls that work.
>
>In the 10 years or so that I've been making heavy use of VMs, I've never
>had the problems that you describe above. My guess is that it's because I
>use VMware as the hypervisor rather than what you use, but I don't really
>want to test that theory.

It has just occurred to me that it might be something to do with
Kaspersky. I will experiment at a time when reboots are feasible.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<s7vbqe$194$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44478&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44478

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 23:20:45 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 18 May 2021 03:20 UTC

Eric Stevens wrote:

> After reading all that I wondered if I would be better off just buying
> a separate iPad for use alongside my desk top. :-)

I think that's the whole idea of this extra security.
Sell more gubbins.

Paul

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<s808va$jsv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44481&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44481

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 12:38:18 +0100
 by: Chris - Tue, 18 May 2021 11:38 UTC

On 17/05/2021 03:46, Eric Stevens wrote:
> I have an iPhone and an iPad. My main computing is done on a W10
> desktop. I have linked my Windows Calendar to the those on the Apple
> devices for years. Recently if I want to consult my calendar from the
> desk top the system has started asking me to log in with password,
> then enter a six digit pin sent over my iPhone and finally it tells me
> that someone has been contacting my calendar call number etc.
>
> This seems be rather more than can be justified for merely wanting to
> know my next appointment with my dentist. Does anyone know any simpler
> way of linking the W10 desktop calendar with those on on the Apple
> devices? I should add I don't want to use Outlook or Edge if at all
> possible.

Use a third party calendar which works across all platforms. Google
calendar is the obvious option. Works on everything and everywhere.

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<tfv8aglm0sr1bgn3a11kmmmf9tbi98k4lv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44523&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44523

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 15:03:03 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Wed, 19 May 2021 03:03 UTC

On Tue, 18 May 2021 14:33:22 +1200, Eric Stevens
<eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 May 2021 12:00:22 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 17 May 2021 03:55:22 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>You could run a virtual machine on your Windows box,
>>>with the function contained in it. Now, I love VMs, but
>>>recipes like this, hardly ever work. And besides, the
>>>drawbridge has probably already been pulled up. I have
>>>a couple setups I did get running, eons ago (using
>>>optical media on-site), but that hardly counts in
>>>todays environment.
>>>
>>>https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macos-windows-10-virtual-machine/
>>>
>>>The idea there is, you'd log into your Apple account and
>>>add the VM as a "trusted machine" just for the purposes
>>>of avoiding complicated authentication. The VM then, gives
>>>you an App window to stare at, with a real Apple Calendar in it.
>>>Then, the annoyance level, is the same amount of annoyance
>>>Apple gives its own customers.
>>>
>>>Then, click the "X" on the VM window (upper-right)
>>>to park ("save state") the VM between uses, so it's not
>>>rebooting all the time. The problem with that concept, is
>>>parking machines over and over again, is like running a
>>>Space Shuttle - maybe 1 in 100 flights blows up,
>>>reliability issue. And for this to be practical, the
>>>OS being blown up has to have journaling capability so that there's
>>>no perceived file system damage due to unclean shutdowns.
>>>(Win98 FAT32 might not be a good candidate.) Windows 10, is now
>>>fairly tolerant of surprises. I unintentionally test this stuff
>>>sometimes, and it seems to come back OK afterwards.
>>>
>>>As an example of an unintentional test case, if I give a
>>>Windows 10 VM the command to shutdown, I don't mean "maybe".
>>>Sometimes, apps seem to be able to hang up the shutdown
>>>process (screen not updating), and I just power down the OS
>>>when it does that, and "dirty shutdown it" as punishment. And
>>>it seems to come back OK. Normally in an OS, we expect a
>>>"supervisory task" in the OS to be a "boss" and kick any
>>>subtending processes in the nuts. But Windows 10 doesn't
>>>always seem to work that way in a VM. Thank goodness VMs
>>>have controls that work.
>>
>>In the 10 years or so that I've been making heavy use of VMs, I've never
>>had the problems that you describe above. My guess is that it's because I
>>use VMware as the hypervisor rather than what you use, but I don't really
>>want to test that theory.
>
>It has just occurred to me that it might be something to do with
>Kaspersky. I will experiment at a time when reboots are feasible.

Yep. Kaspersky has recently strted being difficult as a result of my
name and pasword being in a list extracted from Yahoo in 2012. Even
ignoring the fact that I have not used Yahoo for years and the
password was unique to Yahoo, Kaspersky has been wanting me to replace
all kinds of passwords, including the one for iCloud. I have this time
just ignored all that and steamed right through as though Kaspersky
wasn't there. "Keep me logged in" now seems to keep me logged in and
all works as it used to. I remain puzzled by the fact that the dates
of key events seem widely separated in time. But it works.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<n109agpjb7gqgsp1201i16h8l2us32j6tv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44524&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44524

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 15:05:22 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Wed, 19 May 2021 03:05 UTC

On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:38:18 +0100, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 17/05/2021 03:46, Eric Stevens wrote:
>> I have an iPhone and an iPad. My main computing is done on a W10
>> desktop. I have linked my Windows Calendar to the those on the Apple
>> devices for years. Recently if I want to consult my calendar from the
>> desk top the system has started asking me to log in with password,
>> then enter a six digit pin sent over my iPhone and finally it tells me
>> that someone has been contacting my calendar call number etc.
>>
>> This seems be rather more than can be justified for merely wanting to
>> know my next appointment with my dentist. Does anyone know any simpler
>> way of linking the W10 desktop calendar with those on on the Apple
>> devices? I should add I don't want to use Outlook or Edge if at all
>> possible.
>>

>Use a third party calendar which works across all platforms. Google
>calendar is the obvious option. Works on everything and everywhere.

I didn't think there would be that much cooperation! many thanks. That
may be the answer.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Linking to Apple Calendar from Windows 10

<s8432c$7ev$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44613&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44613

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 22:22:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QXY5iPUKWDqNDmQSb7TtHDGn+Tw=
 by: Chris - Wed, 19 May 2021 22:22 UTC

Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:38:18 +0100, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/05/2021 03:46, Eric Stevens wrote:
>>> I have an iPhone and an iPad. My main computing is done on a W10
>>> desktop. I have linked my Windows Calendar to the those on the Apple
>>> devices for years. Recently if I want to consult my calendar from the
>>> desk top the system has started asking me to log in with password,
>>> then enter a six digit pin sent over my iPhone and finally it tells me
>>> that someone has been contacting my calendar call number etc.
>>>
>>> This seems be rather more than can be justified for merely wanting to
>>> know my next appointment with my dentist. Does anyone know any simpler
>>> way of linking the W10 desktop calendar with those on on the Apple
>>> devices? I should add I don't want to use Outlook or Edge if at all
>>> possible.
>>>

>> Use a third party calendar which works across all platforms. Google
>> calendar is the obvious option. Works on everything and everywhere.
>
> I didn't think there would be that much cooperation! many thanks. That
> may be the answer.

No probs. Been using it for years here. Sharing with family members works
well too.