From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: AVG Secure Browser
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 10:01:41 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 14:01 UTC

Hi,

I normally use FF browser. A friend told me he uses
AVG Secure browser because it allows him to download
YT videos.

Has anyone used AVG browser?

Did you have any issues using that browser?

Thank You in advance, John

Re: AVG Secure Browser

<ugs7lz8maocq.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4448&group=alt.windows7.general#4448

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: AVG Secure Browser
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 11:42:35 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 16:42 UTC

<jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote:

> I normally use FF browser. A friend told me he uses AVG Secure
> browser because it allows him to download YT videos.
>
> Has anyone used AVG browser?
>
> Did you have any issues using that browser?

You can read what AVG says about there product here:

https://www.avg.com/en-us/secure-browser#pc

No mention of capturing video streams. Ask your friend what add-on he
installed into that web browser, or what video/audio stream capture
software he is using that works across all web clients.

There isn't anything listed for that web browser that you cannot do with
Firefox and add-ons. All they did was pre-install some add-ons for you,
or build them into their product. I'd rather have a choice of which
add-ons I install to effect the same features they declare are part of
their product.

Private browsing mode:
Oooh, like no other web browsers have that.
Automatically blocks ads:
I use uBlock Origin. Some use Adblock Plus.
Seamless integration with AVG Antivirus and AVG VPN:
Yep, via their add-on. Of course, unless you install their anti-virus
or VPN then their add-on is worthless. I use just Windows Defender
which ranks equal to AVG.
Forces HTTPS:
Bad choice. There are still lots of sites that only use HTTP. They
have no login, all their content is public, but they chose not to
ensure you visited the site you intended to visit. There are still
sites where you first connect via HTTP, and *they* redirect to their
HTTPS page. I've used the SAME feature in Firefox, but visit enough
HTTP-only sites that I had to turn it off. Yes, I could exclude those
sites, but site preferences get erased since I have Firefox configured
to purge all locally cached data on its exit. Exceptions, like for
HTTPS-only mode, get deleted on Firefox exit.
Protects you from tracking scripts:
Already available in Firefox. However, Firefox only uses the
Disconnect.me blacklist which is poor (too small). Install an add-on,
like uBlock Origin (I used it in Expert mode) to give you far more and
far better blacklists to which it can subscribe. Of course, AVG won't
tell you how they detect which scripts they block. Being secret means
it just must be magical.
Help mask your browser's fingerprint:
Again, oooh, fucking magic by secret. Firefox also has fingerprinting
blocking although you can delve into that subject to figure out if you
want to install specialty add-ons to improve on Mozilla's effort, or
by simply further tweaking Firefox's settings.

There are many vendors trying to lure you to using their web browser
making claims that are invalid since the same base web browser can be
configured to do similar, or better, features using add-ons, or simply
configuring the base web browser different than the default (of which
Firefox variants are far more configurable via about:config). The Tor
Browser is just a tweaked Firefox. Shoving in pre-installed add-ons
doesn't make them different, or integrating some features doesn't make
them better than using add-ons. In fact, for ad/content blocking, you
often get more configurability with add-ons. With uBlock Origin and
other add-ons, *I* get to choose to which blacklists it subscribes
(e.g., I don't subscribe to any of the 'host' based blacklists, but I do
subscribe to more blacklists than the integrated ones from the so-called
"secure" web browers).

The "secure" web browsers are for boobs that haven't a clue how to
configure or secure their web browser. Those aren't the type of users
that visit Usenet, so nothing here is of help to them. You'll notice
the vast majority of the "secure" web browsers never identify which
rendering and script engines they use. AVG Secure Browser is a Chromium
based web browser, and uses Google's V8 script engine. That means you
get far less configurability than with Firefox which gives you more GUI
config options and more in-depth configurability via the about:config
settings editor. However, all of the WebExtension add-ons (required
since FF v52) that I use are available as add-ons to Google Chrome, so I
can use them in MS Edge Chromium, too. The same add-ons I use in
Firefox are the same ones installed in Edge Chromium used as my backup
web browser which is more secure than Chrome but nowhere near as
configurable as Firefox.

Note that I have hit web sites, especially at Google, that won't render
correctly using Firefox. That's when I have to resort to using Edge
Chromium. Since they are dynamic sites, I suspect Google has pushed the
HTML5 they support that is not yet ratified, or employs some anomalies
or specialities in their V8 script engine since the Firefox incompatible
site were dynamic (used a lot of script). At one time, I could not add
a review of Android apps at Google's Play Store (play.google.com) when
using Firefox, and had to switch to Edge Chromium. Either Google
changed whatever proprietary scripting they employed, or Mozilla added
support for the odd scripting, and I can now add reviews there. But
there remain Chrome-only web sites, so you should have a Chromium
variant backup web browser available. Some don't just partially fail
some feature. Some will bitch you must use Chrome to visit them.

Re: AVG Secure Browser

<tach7p$141s7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4449&group=alt.windows7.general#4449

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 14:26:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 18:26 UTC

On 7/9/2022 10:01 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I normally use FF browser. A friend told me he uses
> AVG Secure browser because it allows him to download
> YT videos.
>
> Has anyone used AVG browser?
>
> Did you have any issues using that browser?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

There is always yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.

The two of them, will download video from around
10,000 different web sites. But it's hard for the
downloader profiles to keep up with changes to the
web. A four month old yt-dlp could not download
video from my local news site. A slightly newer
one, could do it. They have an update procedure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtube-dl

"Numerous forks exist of the project, including yt-dlp.[7]"

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/blob/master/README.md

yt-dlp.exe Windows (Win7 SP1+) standalone x64 binary (recommended for Windows)

The link is too long to copy, and might not be valid
anyway after I post this. There are a number of downloads
at the bottom of the page.

By using that, you're no longer a slave to some specific browser.
Especially any AVG ones.

Paul

Re: AVG Secure Browser

<rq9lchljhtqgbbk46kbfogrrvug34doa3q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4450&group=alt.windows7.general#4450

From: garydin...@gmail.com (Gary Dingle)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 19:49:04 +0930
 by: Gary Dingle - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 10:19 UTC

On Sat, 9 Jul 2022 19:40:36 +0100, ? Good Guy ?
<Hello.World@example.onion> wrote:

You are welcome here to show us your true colour!. We like nutters
coming here and making us laugh.
Pot calling the kettle black, me thinks LOL

Re: AVG Secure Browser

<vvnlchpvs74lo0llg9ia95i6sc9oup25a9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4454&group=alt.windows7.general#4454

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 07:20:09 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 14:20 UTC

On Sun, 10 Jul 2022 19:49:04 +0930, Gary Dingle <garydingle@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 9 Jul 2022 19:40:36 +0100, ? Good Guy ?
><Hello.World@example.onion> wrote:
>
>You are welcome here to show us your true colour!. We like nutters
>coming here and making us laugh.
>Pot calling the kettle black, me thinks LOL

Please do not reply to trolls like Good Guy.

Re: AVG Secure Browser

<g6rlch98ii3jbpucd5s2oiuhv1sv4ahaqr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4455&group=alt.windows7.general#4455

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 11:21:45 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 15:21 UTC

>> I normally use FF browser. A friend told me he uses AVG Secure
>> browser because it allows him to download YT videos.
>>
>> Has anyone used AVG browser?
>>
>> Did you have any issues using that browser?
>
>You can read what AVG says about there product here:
>
>https://www.avg.com/en-us/secure-browser#pc
>
>No mention of capturing video streams. Ask your friend what add-on he
>installed into that web browser, or what video/audio stream capture
>software he is using that works across all web clients.
>
>There isn't anything listed for that web browser that you cannot do with
>Firefox and add-ons. All they did was pre-install some add-ons for you,
>or build them into their product. I'd rather have a choice of which
>add-ons I install to effect the same features they declare are part of
>their product.

Hi Vanguard,

What you said makes a lot of sense.

My friend and I are Ham Radio operators. The next time
I contact him (don't have his email address) on the air,
I will ask him regarding the add-on.

Thanks again, John