From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: My 83-y.o and the phone she got in the stpring.
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 01:23:55 -0400
 by: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 05:23 UTC

Perhaps you recall my 83 year old friend who just got a cell phone a
few months ago. We dont' talk often... even when I call her she can
take a a week or more to call me back.... but it turns out for months
she's been having a wonderful time with her phone. She mentioned a
variety of videos that she watches but I only recall monkeys, because
I like monkeys too.

So she was very upset whnn it stopped working Sat. night. Her phone
stopped working but it might have been the guy who gave her the phone.
He deleted a lot of apps that day and may have changed the
auto-connect setting. He deleted the Facebook app, and when I
reinstalled it, intending to use her gmail address that I made for
her, it first thought it was his account.

The settings list his phone number, even though the sim for that is in
some other phone.

I forget where I was but something said she had 43 passwords. Those
must be his, right?

So for all these reasons, should she reset the phone? Any reason not
to? I guess he didn't think of it. (I found instructions on line.
Just looking for opinions on whether to do it. ---- He still has
lots of items in Photos. She'll talk to him and ask if he has other
copies. Would having other copies be automatic, or does he have to
have copied them somewhere? Is there anthing else that he might want
that he shoudl get before she resets it?
Currently, She can read all his gmail! I guesss if he tried, he
coudln't delete that app. I'm sure AFTER she puts in her email
address etc. she'll be able to delete his kigin settings (Not sure
about BEFORE, if he tried to do it without knowing she had a gmail
addresss.)

2) It's a Moto G Pure, with Android 12.

With my Xiaiom Android 11, I noticed I could long tap an icon on the
desktop and one of the options that pops up is Uninstall. But she
just gets Copy and a couple others, no Uninstall. Is Uninstall a
Xiaomi feature? I'll need to know this even after a Reset.

Re: My 83-y.o and the phone she got in the stpring.

<uchbqe$l2fm$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44438&group=comp.mobile.android#44438

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: My 83-y.o and the phone she got in the stpring.
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 07:37:18 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 05:37 UTC

Am 28.08.23 um 07:23 schrieb NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com:
> Perhaps you recall my 83 year old friend who just got a cell phone a
> few months ago. We dont' talk often... even when I call her she can
> take a a week or more to call me back.... but it turns out for months
> she's been having a wonderful time with her phone. She mentioned a
> variety of videos that she watches but I only recall monkeys, because
> I like monkeys too.

Long story short: Do a factory reset for privacy reasons. Immediately!

Before you do that initiate a backup of the fotos to *her Google-account*.

To reach the level of personalization the phone has now will require a
couple of hours of work.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: My 83-y.o and the phone she got in the stpring.

<uchd01$l2ru$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44440&group=comp.mobile.android#44440

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 07:57:21 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 05:57 UTC

Am 28.08.23 um 07:23 schrieb NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com:
> Perhaps you recall my 83 year old friend who just got a cell phone a
> few months ago.

*micky* why are you trying to hide your identity?

--
Manus manum lavat

Re: My 83-y.o and the phone she got in the stpring.

<kl2ti7F3o4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44445&group=comp.mobile.android#44445

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 07:35:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 06:35 UTC

NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com wrote:

> for all these reasons, should she reset the phone?

Absolutely

Re: My 83-y.o and the phone she got in the stpring.

<44dteitpo8e9dn5esmbricjgmo0qnpmmi6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44464&group=comp.mobile.android#44464

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 23:17:18 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 03:17 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 28 Aug 2023 07:35:52 +0100, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com wrote:
>
>> for all these reasons, should she reset the phone?
>
>Absolutely

Okay. Next time I go over there, soon.

Re: My 83-y.o and the phone she got in the stpring.

<596cfidub8kmcs821it2sm0nv70r6j9cpf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44580&group=comp.mobile.android#44580

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 13:58:37 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:58 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 29 Aug 2023 23:17:18 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 28 Aug 2023 07:35:52 +0100, Andy Burns
><usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>>NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com wrote:
>>
>>> for all these reasons, should she reset the phone?
>>
>>Absolutely
>
>Okay. Next time I go over there, soon.

Good advice. Reset the phone, and she's very happy. It cleaned up her
desktop. It's still has Metro listed in settings and still has an app
or two for Metro and it pushes Metro videos, because the previous owner
used that, but I don't see a problem.

I think I should implement Phonecall via Wifi, as a backup for her
regular wired phone, but I didnt' see it in the phone settings. Maybe
it's in the Dialer settings.

Or Whatsapp, but I forgot to try that.

She uses the wifi of her next door neighbor.