All syllogisms have three parts, therefore this is not a syllogism.

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Update Warning

SubjectAuthor
* Update Warningsanto
+- Re: Update WarningVincent Coen
+- Re: Update WarningBit Twister
+* Re: Update WarningWilliam Unruh
|`- Re: Update Warningsanto
`* Re: Update WarningDavid W. Hodgins
 `* Re: Update WarningBit Twister
  `- Re: Update WarningDavid W. Hodgins

1
Update Warning

<sut5m6$1ne$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4479&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4479

From: nan...@auroville.org.in (santo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Update Warning
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:37:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: santo - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:37 UTC

hi all...
I am in the process of updating my system after some time...
during the scrolling of the various pakages I saw the following warning:

Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of
udisks2.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload
units.

when the update is finished what is exactly that I have to do? or is just
a routine message?

To Run:

Run 'systemctl daemon-reload'

means that as root I have to type the above line?

Apologies but I am not a computer savvy...
:-)

Thanks in advance for the help...
Santo

Re: Update Warning

<1645366996@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4480&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4480

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Update Warning
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:23:16 +0000
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:23 UTC

Hello santo!

Sunday February 20 2022 10:37, santo wrote to All:

> hi all...
> I am in the process of updating my system after some time...
> during the scrolling of the various pakages I saw the following
> warning:

> Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of
> udisks2.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to
> reload units.

> when the update is finished what is exactly that I have to do? or is
> just a routine message?

> To Run:

> Run 'systemctl daemon-reload'

> means that as root I have to type the above line?

> Apologies but I am not a computer savvy...
> :-)

More likely sudo systemctl daemon-reload

How ever if you reboot the system after the update and if it is a lot of
packages I would seriously recommend doing that then it will be done any
way.

Vincent

Re: Update Warning

<slrnt14pua.hhmv.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4481&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4481

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:09:46 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:09 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:37:58 -0000 (UTC), santo wrote:
> hi all...
> I am in the process of updating my system after some time...
> during the scrolling of the various pakages I saw the following warning:
>
> Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of
> udisks2.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload
> units.
>
> when the update is finished what is exactly that I have to do? or is just
> a routine message?

That is not a routine message.'
'
> To Run:
>
> Run 'systemctl daemon-reload'
>
> means that as root I have to type the above line?

Yes, because is needs root privileges to execute successfully.

Re: Update Warning

<sutq0j$4en$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4482&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4482

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:24:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:24 UTC

On 2022-02-20, santo <nanci@auroville.org.in> wrote:
> hi all...
> I am in the process of updating my system after some time...
> during the scrolling of the various pakages I saw the following warning:
>
> Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of
> udisks2.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload
> units.
>
> when the update is finished what is exactly that I have to do? or is just
> a routine message?
>
> To Run:
>
> Run 'systemctl daemon-reload'
>
> means that as root I have to type the above line?
You have to type in
systemctl daemon-reload
and then hit the enter key. Hitting the enter key tells bash to
interpret the line and carry out the operations that that line tells it
to carry out. That is what "Run" means.
Ie, the word Run is an instruction to you. The instruction to the
computer is
systemctl daemon-reload

Re: Update Warning

<op.1hwerbgba3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4483&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4483

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:58:13 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:58 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 05:37:58 -0500, santo <nanci@auroville.org.in> wrote:
> I am in the process of updating my system after some time...
> during the scrolling of the various pakages I saw the following warning:
> Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of
> udisks2.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload
> units.
> when the update is finished what is exactly that I have to do? or is just
> a routine message?
> To Run:
> Run 'systemctl daemon-reload'
> means that as root I have to type the above line?
> Apologies but I am not a computer savvy...

As explained by others, it is not a routine message, as it does require user
action.

The message is generated by systemd whenever a file in /lib/systemd/system/
(or in one of it's sub directories) has been modified by an update. As per the
comment, The command ...
systemctl daemon-reload
must be run. That command must be run as root.

In a terminal program such as konsole or gnome-terminal either use "su -" to
become root and then enter the command, or if you've set it up, use (as the
regular user, "sudo systemctl daemon-reload". A third option is to reboot the
system, just like with kernel or glibc updates as that will also force all daemons
(always running programs such as polkit) to be restarted.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Update Warning

<slrnt14v94.hkeo.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4484&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4484

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:40:50 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 17:40 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:58:13 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> In a terminal program such as konsole or gnome-terminal either use "su -" to
> become root and then enter the command, or if you've set it up, use (as the
> regular user, "sudo systemctl daemon-reload". A third option is to reboot the
> system, just like with kernel or glibc updates as that will also force all daemons
> (always running programs such as polkit) to be restarted.

I agree a reboot will cause all daemons to be restarted, but I am not sure
systemd will run any newly installed unit files. As I misunderstand it
systemd keeps a separate copy of the unit files that are the ones executed
on start/stop. The reload command copies all those unit files back into
the actual directories systemd uses to start/stop those units.

I base the above on experience with changing my custom unit files and trying
to have systemd run the unit where it complains about the unit file has
changed and requests me to do a reload to pick up the new unit file.

Re: Update Warning

<op.1hwi08hca3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4485&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4485

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:30:34 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:30 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:40:50 -0500, Bit Twister <BitTwister@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:58:13 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>
>> In a terminal program such as konsole or gnome-terminal either use "su -" to
>> become root and then enter the command, or if you've set it up, use (as the
>> regular user, "sudo systemctl daemon-reload". A third option is to reboot the
>> system, just like with kernel or glibc updates as that will also force all daemons
>> (always running programs such as polkit) to be restarted.
>
> I agree a reboot will cause all daemons to be restarted, but I am not sure
> systemd will run any newly installed unit files. As I misunderstand it
> systemd keeps a separate copy of the unit files that are the ones executed
> on start/stop. The reload command copies all those unit files back into
> the actual directories systemd uses to start/stop those units.
>
> I base the above on experience with changing my custom unit files and trying
> to have systemd run the unit where it complains about the unit file has
> changed and requests me to do a reload to pick up the new unit file.

There are two similar sub commands of systemctl. From the systemctl man page ...
=========
reload PATTERN...
Asks all units listed on the command line to reload their configuration. Note that this will reload the service-specific configuration, not the unit configuration file of systemd. If you want
systemd to reload the configuration file of a unit, use the daemon-reload command. In other words: for the example case of Apache, this will reload Apache's httpd.conf in the web server, not
the apache.service systemd unit file.
This command should not be confused with the daemon-reload command.

daemon-reload
Reload the systemd manager configuration. This will rerun all generators (see systemd.generator(7)), reload all unit files, and recreate the entire dependency tree. While the daemon is being
reloaded, all sockets systemd listens on behalf of user configuration will stay accessible.
This command should not be confused with the reload command.
=========
The info that is being reloaded by the daemon reload is all of the
inter-relationships between various units. That info is in ram only (/run/systemd/).

I've never seen a situation where changing a unit file and then rebooting also
required running "systemctl daemon-reload".

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Update Warning

<suupbf$1i1a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4486&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4486

From: nan...@auroville.org.in (santo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 01:19:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: santo - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 01:19 UTC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 16:24:52 +0000, William Unruh wrote:

> On 2022-02-20, santo <nanci@auroville.org.in> wrote:
>> hi all...

>> means that as root I have to type the above line?
> You have to type in systemctl daemon-reload and then hit the enter key.
> Hitting the enter key tells bash to interpret the line and carry out the
> operations that that line tells it to carry out. That is what "Run"
> means.
> Ie, the word Run is an instruction to you. The instruction to the
> computer is systemctl daemon-reload

Thank you all for the answers...
:-)