You are lost in the Swamps of Despair.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

SubjectAuthor
* Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330Wade Garrett
+- Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330micky
+- Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330Andy Burns
+* Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330Paul
|`- Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330KenW
+* Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330VanguardLH
|`- Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330Wade Garrett
`- Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330Wade Garrett

1
Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

<s8bb5b$c6v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44803&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44803

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:23:06 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 22 May 2021 16:23 UTC

I purchased a refurb Dell Latitude E6330 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit laptop from
NewEgg a year or two ago that has a spinning hard drive that I want to
replace with an SSD.

There's a Microsoft Windows product key sticker on the bottom with a 25
letter/number code. The sticker also says "COA for use in refurbished PC
only. No commercial value."

Is there a way to transfer the OS and the product key to the new SSD?

Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

<ogciagpj51aupuvehhh3ajsuo8k7o2f81i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44806&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44806

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:39:16 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 22 May 2021 16:39 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 22 May 2021 12:23:06 -0400, Wade
Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:

>I purchased a refurb Dell Latitude E6330 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit laptop from
>NewEgg a year or two ago that has a spinning hard drive that I want to
>replace with an SSD.
>
>There's a Microsoft Windows product key sticker on the bottom with a 25
>letter/number code. The sticker also says "COA for use in refurbished PC
>only. No commercial value."
>
>Is there a way to transfer the OS and the product key to the new SSD?

Yes. AFAIK, you can change at least one** element of hardware but since
you are staying in the same computer, you're fine.

A bigger problem might be getting to the current Hdd. I had a much
older latitude and taking it apart turned out to be beyond the power of
my screwdrivers. Well, maybe if I'd presssed harder from the
beginning, but I didn't and I stripped the philips slots. Then I tried
ripping the plastic and that worked for 2 of the 3 screws I couldnt' get
out, but I coudln't even do that for one of them.

No wait, I got past that and the problem was that I had to take off the
lid to sufficiently disassemble the body, and that required the wires
going to the screen as well as the wifi antenna, and that required
making more empty space on my workbench. At any rate, I gave up, at
least for now.

And I had the Dell repair manual, which goes into great detail. Without
that I would not have come so close, nor known what I didn't do. I
don't know if you can get one for most models or your model. I didn't
get it from Dell support iirc. I just googled the model and the word
manual.

**Seems to me I heard there was a limit on how many parts of the
computer you can replace, but I wonder if you replace one or two, then
wait a few months to replace other things, if they'll forget about the
earlier parts changed, on the theory that it's really still the same
computer.

Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

<igsqh0F424gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44807&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44807

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 17:41:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 22 May 2021 16:41 UTC

Wade Garrett wrote:

> Is there a way to transfer the OS and the product key to the new SSD?

You can use a cloning tool such as macrium reflect, but if win10 is
fully activated on the HD, you could do a fresh install to the SSD, and
it will recognise the hardware is being re-used.

Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

<s8bh01$th0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44809&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44809

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 14:02:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 22 May 2021 18:02 UTC

Wade Garrett wrote:
> I purchased a refurb Dell Latitude E6330 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit laptop from
> NewEgg a year or two ago that has a spinning hard drive that I want to
> replace with an SSD.
>
> There's a Microsoft Windows product key sticker on the bottom with a 25
> letter/number code. The sticker also says "COA for use in refurbished PC
> only. No commercial value."
>
> Is there a way to transfer the OS and the product key to the new SSD?

The laptop has a USB3 connector.

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/dell_latitude_e6330_spec_sheet.pdf

You can use one of these with your SSD, while cloning
from the internal drive. No need to worry about refurbisher
key, as the OS on the HDD will just be transferred to the
SSD and be ready to go.

"StarTech USB3S2SAT3CB USB 3.0 to SATA"

https://www.newegg.com/startech-usb3s2sat3cb-usb-to-sata/p/N82E16812400542

Then, you open the area where the HDD is located, and install
the SSD in its place.

512GB $100

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-pro-series-512gb/p/N82E16820147684

Power Consumption (Active) Average: 2.0W
Maximum: 4.0W (Burst mode)

Paul

Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

<lbiiagpa1l6qmoagoi4g6plhulmvaego70@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44810&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44810

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:12:45 -0600
 by: KenW - Sat, 22 May 2021 18:12 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:02:40 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>Wade Garrett wrote:
>> I purchased a refurb Dell Latitude E6330 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit laptop from
>> NewEgg a year or two ago that has a spinning hard drive that I want to
>> replace with an SSD.
>>
>> There's a Microsoft Windows product key sticker on the bottom with a 25
>> letter/number code. The sticker also says "COA for use in refurbished PC
>> only. No commercial value."
>>
>> Is there a way to transfer the OS and the product key to the new SSD?
>
>The laptop has a USB3 connector.
>
>https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/dell_latitude_e6330_spec_sheet.pdf
>
>You can use one of these with your SSD, while cloning
>from the internal drive. No need to worry about refurbisher
>key, as the OS on the HDD will just be transferred to the
>SSD and be ready to go.
>
>"StarTech USB3S2SAT3CB USB 3.0 to SATA"
>
>https://www.newegg.com/startech-usb3s2sat3cb-usb-to-sata/p/N82E16812400542
>
>Then, you open the area where the HDD is located, and install
>the SSD in its place.
>
>512GB $100
>
>https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-pro-series-512gb/p/N82E16820147684
>
> Power Consumption (Active) Average: 2.0W
> Maximum: 4.0W (Burst mode)
>
> Paul

Just completed putting in replacement ssd

KenW

Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

<mnp4dh148koe.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44823&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44823

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 15:05:51 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 22 May 2021 20:05 UTC

Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:

> I purchased a refurb Dell Latitude E6330 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit laptop from
> NewEgg a year or two ago that has a spinning hard drive that I want
> to replace with an SSD.
>
> There's a Microsoft Windows product key sticker on the bottom with a
> 25 letter/number code. The sticker also says "COA for use in
> refurbished PC only. No commercial value."
>
> Is there a way to transfer the OS and the product key to the new SSD?

Youtube is a good source for repair videos. A Youtube search on:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dell+Latitude+E6330+replace+hdd

found (along with others):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--fVahC5SgQ

No idea why at timemark 0:40 he obfuscates the name of the software
which is obviously Macrium Reflect. There are other backup programs
that include a cloning function.

You want to get an SSD that is the same size as the HDD, so the end
bracket will fit that holds the drive into the slot with the screws.

Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

<s8c2cd$1sn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44839&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44839

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 18:59:25 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 22 May 2021 22:59 UTC

On 5/22/21 4:05 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>
>> I purchased a refurb Dell Latitude E6330 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit laptop from
>> NewEgg a year or two ago that has a spinning hard drive that I want
>> to replace with an SSD.
>>
>> There's a Microsoft Windows product key sticker on the bottom with a
>> 25 letter/number code. The sticker also says "COA for use in
>> refurbished PC only. No commercial value."
>>
>> Is there a way to transfer the OS and the product key to the new SSD?
>
> Youtube is a good source for repair videos. A Youtube search on:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dell+Latitude+E6330+replace+hdd
>
> found (along with others):
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--fVahC5SgQ
>
> No idea why at timemark 0:40 he obfuscates the name of the software
> which is obviously Macrium Reflect. There are other backup programs
> that include a cloning function.
>
> You want to get an SSD that is the same size as the HDD, so the end
> bracket will fit that holds the drive into the slot with the screws.

Those are great, thanks!

Re: Replace HD in Refurb Dell Latitude E6330

<s8c2e3$1sn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44840&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44840

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 19:00:19 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 22 May 2021 23:00 UTC

On 5/22/21 12:23 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> I purchased a refurb Dell Latitude E6330 Win 10 Pro 64 Bit laptop from
> NewEgg a year or two ago that has a spinning hard drive that I want to
> replace with an SSD.
>
> There's a Microsoft Windows product key sticker on the bottom with a 25
> letter/number code. The sticker also says "COA for use in refurbished PC
> only. No commercial value."
>
> Is there a way to transfer the OS and the product key to the new SSD?

Thanks all for the help. I think I can do it now!