A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.

computers / comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows / Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?Peter Donahue
`* Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?ZetaByteMe
 +- Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?Naim Liniger-Janmohamed
 `- Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?Dennis Lee Bieber

1
Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?

<761f78ba-f251-43d3-9356-f40aa78ad410n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=437&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#437

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 18:17:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?
From: sydney.s...@gmail.com (Peter Donahue)
 by: Peter Donahue - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 01:17 UTC

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 8:26:37 PM UTC+11, sydney.s...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have had need recently to consider adding two-step authentication to my Google accounts. I access emails from these Google accounts using Eudora 7..1.0.9 and I found that when I did add two-step authentication, I could no longer check email. I got an error message with a google support link which gave feedback saying that I needed to allow less secure apps to access my log-in details but I could not allow less secure apps to log-in until I removed two-step authentication. So I am back to square one. I want to keep using POP and would like to keep using Eudora (though I fear it will not be compatible with future versions of Windows) but am also considering Thunderbird and while I have read that there is a way to allow Thunderbird to accept two-step authentication, I don't know whether it is possible with Eudora. Answers please!
> Cheers. Peter.
What goes around, comes around. I posted this question six years ago and I obviously didn't get around to setting up two-factor authentication and an app password as recently I stopped receiving emails from two gmail accounts set up in Eudora. Eventually found my own question and saw the replies recently. Anyway I followed the instructions for all three gmail accounts and now I am back to normal so a huge thank you to all who replied.

Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?

<9ea9b3f7-2ceb-4e7d-ab90-d47d940d4f04n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=447&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#447

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 08:49:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: chaz...@gmail.com (ZetaByteMe)
 by: ZetaByteMe - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:49 UTC

Is there any way to set this up without involving a cell phone? Google's process for setting up "two factor authentication" seems to insist on involving a text message. I do NOT want Google to know my cell phone number for any more than the one account that I do have attached to my cell. Any ideas to get around this? (I find it idiotic, since I am able to log in to my accounts via web mail, using ONLY the password I've always used.)

Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?

<37c7b3b6-21d9-45f7-a103-342a8a60e52en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=448&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#448

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 09:16:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: naim.lin...@gmail.com (Naim Liniger-Janmohamed)
 by: Naim Liniger-Janmoha - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 16:16 UTC

On Friday, 17 June 2022 at 17:49:07 UTC+2, ZetaByteMe wrote:
> Is there any way to set this up without involving a cell phone? Google's process for setting up "two factor authentication" seems to insist on involving a text message. I do NOT want Google to know my cell phone number for any more than the one account that I do have attached to my cell. Any ideas to get around this? (I find it idiotic, since I am able to log in to my accounts via web mail, using ONLY the password I've always used.)
Sorry there isn't. To set up 2 stp verification the cell phone is needed and only after setting up 2 step verification can a Google password be generated so that you can use it on Eudora. Web mail works fine with just the password but for using Eudora the process is setting up 2 step verification and generating a Google password.
I resisted that for a long time too for the same reason that I didn't want Google to have my phone number, but when Eudora stopped working I had to decide which one I wanted more!

Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?

<158qahd9h2d91cqcoqet3sbgu35dfdbf2r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=449&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#449

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 20:57:06 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 00:57 UTC

On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 08:49:05 -0700 (PDT), ZetaByteMe <chazedw@gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>Is there any way to set this up without involving a cell phone? Google's process for setting up "two factor authentication" seems to insist on involving a text message. I do NOT want Google to know my cell phone number for any more than the one account that I do have attached to my cell. Any ideas to get around this? (I find it idiotic, since I am able to log in to my accounts via web mail, using ONLY the password I've always used.)

The "web mail" you mention is a Google provided system running in a
browser, Google considers that a "trusted system" and uses your Google
account credentials. Applications that are not hosted by Google are to use
OAUTH2 authentication (not available in Eudora) OR a Google-generated (IE:
some ugly random string of text) app-specific password.

Based on the help screen for 2FA, you /can/ receive a voice message
with the code -- so if you have a land-line phone number you could provide
that.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839#zippy=%2Cuse-a-verification-code-from-a-text-message-or-call

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN