From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Don't the phone and the PC reference the same information?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:23:23 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:23 UTC

Don't the phone and the PC reference the same information?

I know it's shameful but I do most of my work on the PC and little on
the phone. Please don't hate me.

But today, I'm trying to pick up a prescription that isn't ready yet and
it's my 3rd errand and when I finish the 2nd I want to check if it's
ready before I drive miles out of my way.

SO, I installed the Walgreens app and checked if it was ready, and when
I get to the last screen where the answer should be, it says "Sorry an
unexpected error. Try again later".

Meanwhile the PC knew the answer a couple minutes before, and still
knows it when I reload the page right after the phone doesn't. And the
phone still doesn't know the answer right after the PC did, again.

I would expect the phone and the PC to be different front-ends but both
go to the same cmputer for the answer. Isn't that the way things are
done?

The phone app for Walgreens worked in most other ways, retrieving past
prescriptions etc, chores that required communication with the main
computer.

How can it be that it doesn't know if the prescription is still in
progress or ready to be picked up, when the PC knows?

Re: Don't the phone and the PC reference the same information?

<uecnvt$2fch1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44795&group=comp.mobile.android#44795

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:06:29 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:06 UTC

micky wrote:
> Don't the phone and the PC reference the same information?
>
> I know it's shameful but I do most of my work on the PC and little on
> the phone. Please don't hate me.
>
> But today, I'm trying to pick up a prescription that isn't ready yet and
> it's my 3rd errand and when I finish the 2nd I want to check if it's
> ready before I drive miles out of my way.
>
> SO, I installed the Walgreens app and checked if it was ready, and when
> I get to the last screen where the answer should be, it says "Sorry an
> unexpected error. Try again later".
>
> Meanwhile the PC knew the answer a couple minutes before, and still
> knows it when I reload the page right after the phone doesn't. And the
> phone still doesn't know the answer right after the PC did, again.
>
> I would expect the phone and the PC to be different front-ends but both
> go to the same cmputer for the answer. Isn't that the way things are
> done?
>
> The phone app for Walgreens worked in most other ways, retrieving past
> prescriptions etc, chores that required communication with the main
> computer.
>
> How can it be that it doesn't know if the prescription is still in
> progress or ready to be picked up, when the PC knows?

It's software that handles info, not hardware.
Are you using the same programs or apps?

Ed

Re: Don't the phone and the PC reference the same information?

<1awkdjtond8ai$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44797&group=comp.mobile.android#44797

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:31:55 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:31 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> But today, I'm trying to pick up a prescription that isn't ready yet and
> it's my 3rd errand and when I finish the 2nd I want to check if it's
> ready before I drive miles out of my way.
>
> SO, I installed the Walgreens app and checked if it was ready, and when
> I get to the last screen where the answer should be, it says "Sorry an
> unexpected error. Try again later".

Apps are way too often not reliable. Use the web browser on your phone,
go to walgreens.com, and log into your account. After logging in, use
the Account -> Prescription Refills & Status navpath to check on
refills.

Some refills may require a doctor's okay, so you may see some meds are
ready for pickup, but others are awaiting the doctor's okay.

Doesn't Walgreens send you e-mails to notify you when meds or orders are
ready for pickup? They do for me. Login, go to Account -> Your
Account, Emails & Alerts, and enable e-mail alerts for when your meds
are ready for pickup. They even send an e-mail alert on a delayed med
awaiting doctor's okay, so, for that one, wait until later when they
send you an e-mail saying the delayed med is now ready for pickup.

If you have an e-mail app on your phone configured to poll your e-mail
account, you can get the alerts there in addition to on your home PC.

Re: Don't the phone and the PC reference the same information?

<8b4vgipffvlafkju604e19g91up960eqsg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44980&group=comp.mobile.android#44980

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:34:29 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 01:34 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:31:55 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> But today, I'm trying to pick up a prescription that isn't ready yet and
>> it's my 3rd errand and when I finish the 2nd I want to check if it's
>> ready before I drive miles out of my way.
>>
>> SO, I installed the Walgreens app and checked if it was ready, and when
>> I get to the last screen where the answer should be, it says "Sorry an
>> unexpected error. Try again later".
>
>Apps are way too often not reliable.

That must be it. Something wrong with the app itself, that it coudl
have gotten the right data, but didnt', or didn't know what to do with
it.

> Use the web browser on your phone,
>go to walgreens.com, and log into your account. After logging in, use
>the Account -> Prescription Refills & Status navpath to check on
>refills.

Might not have been that much more work.

>Some refills may require a doctor's okay, so you may see some meds are
>ready for pickup, but others are awaiting the doctor's okay.
>
>Doesn't Walgreens send you e-mails to notify you when meds or orders are
>ready for pickup? They do for me. Login, go to Account -> Your
>Account, Emails & Alerts, and enable e-mail alerts for when your meds
>are ready for pickup. They even send an e-mail alert on a delayed med
>awaiting doctor's okay, so, for that one, wait until later when they
>send you an e-mail saying the delayed med is now ready for pickup.

This was an unusual sitation. I think I got an email 5 minutes after I
went downstairs to leave. But I picked it up the next day, so it's
okay. It wasn't a practical problem, just a computer curiosity
question.