Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:10:37 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Subject: Strange wireless
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.windows7.general
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 25 May 2021 23:10 UTC

We have a recently resurrected from the boneyard by someone at the office Win
7 machine. It’s more than 10 years old. It has a 3.something GHz quad-core
i5. It has 8 GB RAM. It has a 802.11n wireless card. It has Gb Ethernet. The
guy at the office was going to have younglings use it for schoolwork, it
surely isn’t going to run modern games.

Problem: it won’t consistently connect to infrastructure wireless. He tried
at home (AT&T) and the office (Comcast Business). It connects to
infrastructure wireless, 802.11ac or 802.11n, roughly one sixth of the time.
It connects to iPads/iPhones/Macs/Ubuntu 18.04 systems set to share wireless
first time, every time. It connects to Win7 systems set to share wireless
first time, every time. It connects to Ethernet, first time, every time. It
does not connect to Win 10, ever. It doesn’t even see Win 10 systems, and
those times it doesn’t connect tothe infrastructure wireless, it doesn’t
see them, either. When it does connect to infrastructure wireless it gets an
APIPA address and cannot see the internet, making it useless as a youngling
torture device.

It appears to be violently allergic to infrastructure wireless and Win 10,
but likes everyone else. If it was my machine I’d either just plug it in by
Ethernet or put Ubuntu on it to see if the OS made a difference, but the guy
in question wants to know what the hell is going on. Does anyone have a
possible clue?

Re: Strange wireless

<250520211938347486%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44990&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44990

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Strange wireless
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:38:34 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 25 May 2021 23:38 UTC

In article <0001HW.265DBB6D00511A2E70000C0CE38F@news.supernews.com>,
Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:

> We have a recently resurrected from the boneyard by someone at the office Win
> 7 machine. It¹s more than 10 years old. It has a 3.something GHz quad-core
> i5. It has 8 GB RAM. It has a 802.11n wireless card. It has Gb Ethernet. The
> guy at the office was going to have younglings use it for schoolwork, it
> surely isn¹t going to run modern games.
>
> Problem: it won¹t consistently connect to infrastructure wireless. He tried
> at home (AT&T) and the office (Comcast Business). It connects to
> infrastructure wireless, 802.11ac or 802.11n, roughly one sixth of the time.
> It connects to iPads/iPhones/Macs/Ubuntu 18.04 systems set to share wireless
> first time, every time. It connects to Win7 systems set to share wireless
> first time, every time. It connects to Ethernet, first time, every time. It
> does not connect to Win 10, ever. It doesn¹t even see Win 10 systems, and
> those times it doesn¹t connect tothe infrastructure wireless, it doesn¹t
> see them, either. When it does connect to infrastructure wireless it gets an
> APIPA address and cannot see the internet, making it useless as a youngling
> torture device.
>
> It appears to be violently allergic to infrastructure wireless and Win 10,
> but likes everyone else. If it was my machine I¹d either just plug it in by
> Ethernet or put Ubuntu on it to see if the OS made a difference, but the guy
> in question wants to know what the hell is going on. Does anyone have a
> possible clue?

test it with wired ethernet and see what happens.

also test it with a usb wifi adapter if you have one available (or swap
the wifi card but that's less likely to have a spare).

Re: Strange wireless

<s8k8v7$4oi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44997&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#44997

From: JT...@spam-me-not.invalid (JT)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 01:40:55 +0000 (UTC)
 by: JT - Wed, 26 May 2021 01:40 UTC

Wolffan wrote:

> We have a recently resurrected from the boneyard by someone at the office Win
> 7 machine. It’s more than 10 years old. It has a 3.something GHz quad-core
> i5. It has 8 GB RAM. It has a 802.11n wireless card. It has Gb Ethernet. The
> guy at the office was going to have younglings use it for schoolwork, it
> surely isn’t going to run modern games.
>
> Problem: it won’t consistently connect to infrastructure wireless. He tried
> at home (AT&T) and the office (Comcast Business). It connects to
> infrastructure wireless, 802.11ac or 802.11n, roughly one sixth of the time.
> It connects to iPads/iPhones/Macs/Ubuntu 18.04 systems set to share wireless
> first time, every time. It connects to Win7 systems set to share wireless
> first time, every time. It connects to Ethernet, first time, every time. It
> does not connect to Win 10, ever. It doesn’t even see Win 10 systems, and
> those times it doesn’t connect tothe infrastructure wireless, it doesn’t
> see them, either. When it does connect to infrastructure wireless it gets an
> APIPA address and cannot see the internet, making it useless as a youngling
> torture device.
>
> It appears to be violently allergic to infrastructure wireless and Win 10,
> but likes everyone else. If it was my machine I’d either just plug it in by
> Ethernet or put Ubuntu on it to see if the OS made a difference, but the guy
> in question wants to know what the hell is going on. Does anyone

Wolffan,

Windows 7 cannot connect to Windows 10 unless the Windows 10 PC's have

SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support enabled.

To enable this, on any Windows 10 PC go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->

On the left hand side click Turn Windows features on or off then scroll down to

SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and check the box.

A reboot is required.

Now from the Windows 7 you should be able to browse the network for that Windows 10 PC.

Rinse and repeat for any other Windows 10 PC's you need to access.

HTH

JT

Re: Strange wireless

<0001HW.265DF197005DCBF870000F4BB38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45003&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45003

Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 23:01:43 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Wed, 26 May 2021 03:01 UTC

On 2021 May25, JT wrote
(in article <s8k8v7$4oi$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> Wolffan wrote:
>
> > We have a recently resurrected from the boneyard by someone at the office
> > Win
> > 7 machine. It’s more than 10 years old. It has a 3.something GHz quad-core
> > i5. It has 8 GB RAM. It has a 802.11n wireless card. It has Gb Ethernet. The
> > guy at the office was going to have younglings use it for schoolwork, it
> > surely isn’t going to run modern games.
> >
> > Problem: it won’t consistently connect to infrastructure wireless. He
> > tried
> > at home (AT&T) and the office (Comcast Business). It connects to
> > infrastructure wireless, 802.11ac or 802.11n, roughly one sixth of the time.
> > It connects to iPads/iPhones/Macs/Ubuntu 18.04 systems set to share wireless
> > first time, every time. It connects to Win7 systems set to share wireless
> > first time, every time. It connects to Ethernet, first time, every time. It
> > does not connect to Win 10, ever. It doesn’t even see Win 10 systems, and
> > those times it doesn’t connect tothe infrastructure wireless, it doesn’t
> > see them, either. When it does connect to infrastructure wireless it gets an
> > APIPA address and cannot see the internet, making it useless as a youngling
> > torture device.
> >
> > It appears to be violently allergic to infrastructure wireless and Win 10,
> > but likes everyone else. If it was my machine I’d either just plug it in
> > by
> > Ethernet or put Ubuntu on it to see if the OS made a difference, but the guy
> > in question wants to know what the hell is going on. Does anyone
>
> Wolffan,
>
> Windows 7 cannot connect to Windows 10 unless the Windows 10 PC's have
>
> SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support enabled.
>
> To enable this, on any Windows 10 PC go to Control Panel->Programs and
> Features->
>
> On the left hand side click Turn Windows features on or off then scroll down
>
> SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and check the box.
>
> A reboot is required.
>
> Now from the Windows 7 you should be able to browse the network for that
> Windows 10 PC.
>
> Rinse and repeat for any other Windows 10 PC's you need to access.
>
> HTH
>
> JT

I think that SMB support is turned on. Will check. Thanks.

Re: Strange wireless

<8o0vag1o7lkr78stlmvdjrsiigkgh5bmbt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45104&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45104

From: LuciferM...@bigpond.com (Lucifer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 21:35:18 +1000
 by: Lucifer - Thu, 27 May 2021 11:35 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 19:10:37 -0400, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com>
wrote:

>We have a recently resurrected from the boneyard by someone at the office Win
>7 machine. It’s more than 10 years old. It has a 3.something GHz quad-core
>i5. It has 8 GB RAM. It has a 802.11n wireless card. It has Gb Ethernet. The
>guy at the office was going to have younglings use it for schoolwork, it
>surely isn’t going to run modern games.

I had a server with eight Pentium 3 900 Mhz CPUs
and 8 GB RAM.
It also had 4 15,000 RPM SCSI hard drives.
How does a 32 bit CPU address 8 GB?

Re: Strange wireless

<s8o9se$5kh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45108&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45108

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 10:21:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 27 May 2021 14:21 UTC

Lucifer wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2021 19:10:37 -0400, Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We have a recently resurrected from the boneyard by someone at the office Win
>> 7 machine. It’s more than 10 years old. It has a 3.something GHz quad-core
>> i5. It has 8 GB RAM. It has a 802.11n wireless card. It has Gb Ethernet. The
>> guy at the office was going to have younglings use it for schoolwork, it
>> surely isn’t going to run modern games.
>
> I had a server with eight Pentium 3 900 Mhz CPUs
> and 8 GB RAM.
> It also had 4 15,000 RPM SCSI hard drives.
> How does a 32 bit CPU address 8 GB?

With a Virtual to Physical page table and a
36 bit address bus on the physical side.

Processes can map 2GB:2GB split, which is
2GB of address space in Ring3 for userland,
and when you look up PID:Addr32 ==> PhysAddr36.

To use the 8GB then, takes four programs using
2GB each.

This is probably the PAE page table, but you'd
have to find some page table diagrams to find
the right one. Previously, another page table
format was used, because hardware was gutless and
speed of this block mattered.

Part of the program code comes from that space
too, which is why a program like Photoshop might
offer 1.8GB of the 2.0GB space for user photo storage
(undo buffers).

Paul