Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 11:51:30 -0500
Subject: Re: Alan Turing's Halting Problem is incorrectly formed [my first
post back in 2004]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 16:51 UTC

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Alan Turing's Halting Problem is incorrectly formed [my first post back in 2004]

<dZnRL.1626355$9sn9.558984@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=45177&group=comp.theory#45177

post back in 2004]
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 15:06:49 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 19:06 UTC

On 3/18/23 12:51 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/6/2004 9:11 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
>> One very simple transformation of the problem into a solvable problem
>> is to convert the Boolean function DoesItHalt() into a tertiary response:
>> True, False, Neither.
>>
>> if (DoesItHalt() == True)
>>    while(True)   // loop forever
>>      ;
>> else if (DoesItHalt() == False)
>>    return False;
>>
>> else if  (DoesItHalt() == NeitherTrueNorFalse)
>>    return NeitherTrueNorFalse;
>>
>> So the original Halting Problem was incorrectly formed specifically
>> because it was framed as a Boolean function, thus failing to account
>> for possible inputs that result in a reply other than True or False.

And how does an machine neither Halt or Run Forever?