From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: No keys when installing packages in Mga9
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 00:07:35 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:07 UTC

Without them, installing from the command line needs "--force."

I can find nothing about this in Bugzilla or the Forum. Is it just me?

Re: No keys when installing packages in Mga9

<op.1irz3s1ca3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4507&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4507

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: No keys when installing packages in Mga9
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 13:24:54 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:24 UTC

On Wed, 09 Mar 2022 08:07:35 -0500, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> Without them, installing from the command line needs "--force."
> I can find nothing about this in Bugzilla or the Forum. Is it just me?

Why are you running cauldron? Issues for support of cauldron should be kept in
the dev mailing list.

That said, I've seen no other discussions of key problems in cauldron on the dev
ml, or elsewhere. Using --force should never be done unless you know exactly why
it's needed, and there's no other way. It's overriding safety checks that could make
the system unusable.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: No keys when installing packages in Mga9

<t0fe8p$d8r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4524&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4524

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 23:11:04 +1100
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:11 UTC

On 10/3/22 05:24, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2022 08:07:35 -0500, Doug Laidlaw
> <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>> Without them, installing from the command line needs "--force."
>> I can find nothing about this in Bugzilla or the Forum.  Is it just me?
>
> Why are you running cauldron? Issues for support of cauldron should be
> kept in
> the dev mailing list.
>
> That said, I've seen no other discussions of key problems in cauldron on
> the dev
> ml, or elsewhere. Using --force should never be done unless you know
> exactly why
> it's needed, and there's no other way. It's overriding safety checks
> that could make
> the system unusable.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Thanks, David. I used --force only because this had been going on for a
few days, I knew where the packages were coming from, and the only
problem seemed to be in the signing. I run 8 as my normal OS, but
occasionally I look at cauldron. A recent netboot ISO refused to start,
but I still have 8. Last week Virtualbox couldn't find its driver, but
after I had removed all the VirtualBox packages and dependencies and
re-installed everything, it was O.K. My main computer occasionally (such
as today) refuses to boot unless I shut it down at the wall for an hour
or more. I have looked at btrfs, but I would rather stay with ext4.
Even the learning curve of the fish shell was too steep for me to handle.

I am thinking of making my Pi400 my main box. It now supports 64-bit,
and over the years, I have acquired a working knowledge of the Debian
command set. I haven't got Mageia on it yet, but Manjaro works well,
and I will probably stick with Raspbian. There are no 3 mm sockets, and
only a few USB slots, but otherwise, it seems to work well. Its power
drain is minimal.

Doug.