From: Aol...@Aoli.com (Aoli)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Portable Macrium Reflect Free
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:52:10 -0700
 by: Aoli - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:52 UTC

Is there a Portable Macrium Reflect Free ?

Or how can I do it?

I have a brand new used pristine laptop that I want to back up before
anything is added to it.

Re: Portable Macrium Reflect Free

<tbeph9$39it5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4527&group=alt.windows7.general#4527

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Portable Macrium Reflect Free
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 14:16:08 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 18:16 UTC

On 7/22/2022 11:52 AM, Aoli wrote:

> Is there a Portable Macrium Reflect Free ?
>
> Or how can I do it?
>
> I have a brand new used pristine laptop that I want to back up before anything is added to it.

The version 7 of Macrium is good enough for Windows 10 C: drives.
Since this is an older version, this particular downloader might
not be on the server any more. You could install this on your
existing laptop, if you don't already have a copy of Macrium
suited to preparing emergency media.

https://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v7/ReflectDLHF.exe

The Macrium Emergency CD (or USB stick) is capable
of making free backups and restores. You can prepare the
media on an existing laptop, then use that media on
the laptop that's never seen Macrium before. No trace
of Macrium need be on the pristine laptop to make
the backup, using the CD. The software on the CD, can
at least make "full" backups and "full" restores.

https://i.postimg.cc/rwK9sQDR/macrium-menu.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/DZgGBXWK/media-making-options.gif

The CD is a way to make a "portable" backup. There should
be backup and restore tabs on the top left.

The CD uses MSFT WinPE (Preinstall Environment) and it is the
PE that provides the "OS" on the CD. That is what provides
the OS for the Macrium run. Macrium has a kind of File Explorer,
as well as a Command Prompt, for doing stuff. Macrium can also
make backups to file shares. There is an interface for mapping
a Z: drive (like from your NAS), so that you can back up over
the net to Z: . But this only works if Macrium has a network driver for
the network chip on the pristine laptop. Which depending on the
situation, could be easy or it could be tough to do.

There is a manual for Macrium. Macrium does not make friends easily
and the interface is more of a power user thing. Something like
Acronis, at least one of their versions, was more "user friendly".

This is my film strip collection. Click on the "thin column" graphic
to magnify it to normal size. My tutorials are intended to show
what the menus "could" be used for, and sometimes I get carried
away showing all the features such as resizing the restore partition
to make full usage of a new hard drive.

https://postimg.cc/image/f664kgrzh/ Macrium6_Backup.gif
(Is meant to show the menus and
you don't really need all the
steps shown - it's more a bit of a
"tour" than a "recipe")

https://postimg.cc/image/soq5qlgrx/ Clone_Disk.gif
(Shows how to clone a disk drive)

https://postimg.cc/image/458x0anpn/ Macrium_Restore_CD.gif

*******

With a newly received pristine laptop, one of the first steps
is memtest.

https://memtest.org/

Memtest86+ v6.00 Beta 3
Released: 2022-07-18

Linux ISO (32 bits) <=== 32 bit CPU
Linux ISO (64 bits) <=== 64 bit CPU

Those are not really Linux, in the sense there is no Linux OS
on them, and all they use is boot code then load assembler code
which is the memtest executable. Allow one pass for a full test.
Pressing <esc> halts the memtest run and reboots the computer.

Why you're running this, is you don't make Macrium backups if
the RAM is bad. That's why you check the RAM first, to ensure
Macrium does not barf during a restore attempt at some later date.
You can run "Verify" on Macrium .mrimg files to see if they
are corrupted or not. I lost several backups due to bad RAM
on my WinXP machine.

Paul