24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / graphic cards

SubjectAuthor
* graphic cardsfaeychild
+* Re: graphic cardsDavid W. Hodgins
|`* Re: graphic cardsfaeychild
| `* Re: graphic cardsAragorn
|  `- Re: graphic cardsfaeychild
`* Re: graphic cardsTJ
 `* Re: graphic cardsfaeychild
  `* Re: graphic cardsTJ
   `* Re: graphic cardsfaeychild
    `* Re: graphic cardsTJ
     `* Re: graphic cardsfaeychild
      `* Re: graphic cardsAragorn
       +- Re: graphic cardsTJ
       `- Re: graphic cardsfaeychild

1
graphic cards

<t0j4rv$dub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4527&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4527

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: graphic cards
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 08:55:08 +1100
 by: faeychild - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 21:55 UTC

As a non gamer I have considered ditching the NVIDIA card and just using
the onboard graphics chip.
I've heard that it is more than adequate for standard video processes
and the extra graphic magic of the card is overkill

what has prompted this is the minimalist function provided by NVIDIA,
compared to Windows drivers - printing is the same deal, and the need to
start the cooling fan on each boot. It's just bloody annoying.

I sometimes suspect that I am running a V-8 in a dodgem car to no benefit.

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.25-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.

Re: graphic cards

<op.1ixux004a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4528&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4528

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: graphic cards
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:19:02 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 22:19 UTC

On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 16:55:08 -0500, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> As a non gamer I have considered ditching the NVIDIA card and just using
> the onboard graphics chip.
> I've heard that it is more than adequate for standard video processes
> and the extra graphic magic of the card is overkill
>
> what has prompted this is the minimalist function provided by NVIDIA,
> compared to Windows drivers - printing is the same deal, and the need to
> start the cooling fan on each boot. It's just bloody annoying.

Do you have mageia-prime installed? With my asus tuf gaming a15 laptop, when
it was using it's onboard ati graphics the fan ran constantly, with it still
getting hot enough to be uncomfortable to have on my lap.

With mageia-prime in use, the fan rarely comes on, as I'm also not a gamer. I
picked that laptop only because it was in stock locally and met my requirements
for speed and storage.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: graphic cards

<t0l3b5$lj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4530&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4530

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:41:24 -0400
 by: TJ - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:41 UTC

On 3/12/22 16:55, faeychild wrote:

> As a non gamer I have considered ditching the NVIDIA card and just using
> the onboard graphics chip.
> I've heard that it is more than adequate for  standard video processes
> and the extra graphic magic of the card is overkill
>
> what has prompted this is the minimalist function provided by NVIDIA,
> compared to Windows drivers - printing is the same deal, and the need to
>  start the cooling fan on each boot.  It's just bloody annoying.
>

> I sometimes suspect that I am running a V-8 in a dodgem car to no benefit.

As seems to often be the case, the only answer we can give is, "it
depends." Your question is far too general and you didn't include enough
information about your specific situation. For example:

1) Laptop or desktop?
2) What CPU? (That would indicate the potential for adequate integrated
graphics)
3) How much RAM? (Integrated GPUs often use system RAM)
4) What do you mean by "standard video processes?"

My oldest "working" computer is a Dell Inspiron 5100, from 2002, maybe
2003. It has a 32-bit P4 and a whopping 2GB of RAM. It has the Radeon
RV200 GPU that it came with, on a replaceable AGP card that I could
upgrade - if I could find one. It's running 32-bit Xfce Mageia 8. It's
usable, but performance is wholly inadequate by today's standards. If it
had an integrated GPU to use, performance would probably be even worse.

My newest machine, with a motherboard from 2012 also considered old by
some, has a second-generation i5 and 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and I haven't
used a graphics card into it since I built it. It's using Mageia 8
Plasma with no problems whatsoever. It is my production machine. My most
video-intensive activity might be some work with Gimp, although I don't
do anything heavy with it. Next up would be watching videos online.
(BTW, I've been running it for over an hour, can only hear the fans if I
listen for them, and Psensor tells me the core temperatures are running
at a solid 31 degrees C.)

Second-newest is a 2010 HP Probook with a first-generation i3, also with
integrated Intel graphics, and also trouble-free where video is
concerned. I guess I could add a video card using the expansion slot,
but I have that full providing me with USB 3.0 ports, so I don't want to.

In between those I have some machines with older AMD graphics cards.
They have slower CPUs, and less RAM. I believe they sit on the edge of
needing a dedicated GPU. They'd be OK without it, but I did notice a bit
of a performance boost with it.

you probably don't need a dedicated card with anything more modern than
my aging equipment, but like I said, it depends.

TJ

Re: graphic cards

<t0m4qc$192$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4531&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4531

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:12:41 +1100
 by: faeychild - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 01:12 UTC

On 13/3/22 09:19, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> Do you have mageia-prime installed? With my asus tuf gaming a15 laptop,
> when

I had not heard of mageia prime and I just had a quick look at the Wiki.

It's probably something to go back to for a second look
--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.25-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-8-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: graphic cards

<t0m5s8$le5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4532&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4532

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:30:46 +1100
 by: faeychild - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 01:30 UTC

On 14/3/22 02:41, TJ wrote:

> As seems to often be the case, the only answer we can give is, "it
> depends." Your question is far too general and you didn't include enough
> information about your specific situation. For example:
>
> 1) Laptop or desktop?
> 2) What CPU? (That would indicate the potential for adequate integrated
> graphics)
> 3) How much RAM? (Integrated GPUs often use system RAM)
> 4) What do you mean by "standard video processes?"

It was truly vague
I didn't expect any in depth analysis just on overview of people's
preferences.

It's a Desktop

MB Gigabyte B250M-D3H
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz

32G ram

GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

The system is getting on a bit now

watching video doesn't stress anything I can stream and record four TV
channels and nothing warms up
Running Handbrake or Kdenlive will run the CPU core temps up to mid 70's

The graphics card always sits at 40 to 50 degrees unless I activate the fan

The graphics are not called on to do anything extreme and basically it
is a box warmer.
On occasion I wonder if it is needed at all. But it is installed and I
suppose it's easier to let the sleeping dog lie

regards
--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.25-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-8-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: graphic cards

<t0m9tg$1cc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4533&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4533

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:39:41 -0400
 by: TJ - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 02:39 UTC

On 3/13/22 21:30, faeychild wrote:
> On 14/3/22 02:41, TJ wrote:
>
>> As seems to often be the case, the only answer we can give is, "it
>> depends." Your question is far too general and you didn't include
>> enough information about your specific situation. For example:
>>
>> 1) Laptop or desktop?
>> 2) What CPU? (That would indicate the potential for adequate
>> integrated graphics)
>> 3) How much RAM? (Integrated GPUs often use system RAM)
>> 4) What do you mean by "standard video processes?"
>

> It was truly vague
>   I didn't expect any in depth analysis just on overview of people's
> preferences.
>
> It's a Desktop
>
> MB  Gigabyte B250M-D3H
> CPU  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
>
> 32G ram
>
> GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
>
> The system is getting on a bit now
>
> watching video doesn't stress anything I can stream and record four TV
> channels and nothing warms up
> Running Handbrake or Kdenlive will run the CPU core temps up to mid 70's

My box warms up like that when I use Handbrake, too. Not surprising,
because Handbrake is designed to use close to all available cpu power
when transcoding. It doesn't use any extra graphics, though. I don't use
Kdenlive.

> The graphics card always sits at 40 to 50 degrees  unless I activate the
> fan
>

> The graphics are not called on to do anything extreme and basically it
> is a box warmer.
> On occasion I wonder if it is needed at all. But it is installed and I
> suppose it's easier to let the sleeping dog lie

If it were me, I'd probably rip it out of there. It may be "easier" for
now, but it won't be later. Nvidia does not have your back.

TJ

Re: graphic cards

<20220314035049.6305a578@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4534&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4534

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 03:50:49 +0100
 by: Aragorn - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 02:50 UTC

On 14.03.2022 at 12:12, faeychild scribbled:

> On 13/3/22 09:19, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>
> > Do you have mageia-prime installed? With my asus tuf gaming a15
> > laptop, when
>
> I had not heard of mageia prime and I just had a quick look at the
> Wiki.

Mageia Prime is the brightest of the four stars in the Mageia cluster,
although its binary twin, the Tex Star, makes for a close second. The
Mandriva star is the weakest shining one of the four, the fourth and
once brightest one, Mandrake, having itself gone supernova and
subsequently collapsed into a black hole.

There is only one planet with intelligent life orbiting Mageia Prime.
The lifeforms on this planet are a strange species that roughly
resembles an oversized penguin.

Most Mageians keep a tame rodent resembling a mouse as their pet,
commonly close to their right upper limb.

Some Mageians have been positively identified as afflicted with a
drinking problem; specifically, an addiction to wine, causing them to
belch out an "Urpmi!" sound at regular intervals. Considering that not
all Mageians utter "Urpmi!" sounds, our original theory that it would
have been a form of communication has in the meantime officially been
discarded by the Galactic Council.

The Mageians are a space-faring civilization. According to the
Tuxian Records, small numbers of Mageians have occasionally made it as
far out into space as the Tex Star System, which itself harbors a planet
with a different type of society, of which little is known, other than
that they appear to have a potty-mouthed male tabby cat as their leader.

:p

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Re: graphic cards

<t0ocfr$m5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4535&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4535

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 08:35:55 +1100
 by: faeychild - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:35 UTC

On 14/3/22 13:50, Aragorn wrote:

> with a different type of society, of which little is known, other than
> that they appear to have a potty-mouthed male tabby cat as their leader.
>
> :p

Very good, Aragorn :-)
I laughed
--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.25-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-8-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: graphic cards

<t0ocup$4pf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4536&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4536

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 08:43:50 +1100
 by: faeychild - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:43 UTC

On 14/3/22 13:39, TJ wrote:

> If it were me, I'd probably rip it out of there. It may be "easier" for
> now, but it won't be later. Nvidia does not have your back.
>
> TJ

I would have to duct tape the big hole too

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.25-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-8-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: graphic cards

<t0qd2i$1i9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4537&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4537

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:58:08 -0400
 by: TJ - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:58 UTC

On 3/14/22 17:43, faeychild wrote:
> On 14/3/22 13:39, TJ wrote:
>

>> If it were me, I'd probably rip it out of there. It may be "easier"
>> for now, but it won't be later. Nvidia does not have your back.
>>
>> TJ
>
> I would have to duct tape the big hole too

Only if you don't know how to search for "expansion slot cover" in
DuckDuckGo. And even that might not be necessary:

Being a skinflint, I have been known to remove the slot cover from a
no-longer-usable card and use that to fill the hole. An old AGP video
card, as I recall, that is now useless because I no longer have AGP
slots. Yes, there are still a couple of holes where the monitor
connectors were, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two small holes are
actually helpful for airflow purposes.

TJ

Re: graphic cards

<t0qu5k$lph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4540&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4540

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 07:49:56 +1100
 by: faeychild - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 20:49 UTC

On 16/3/22 02:58, TJ wrote:

> Being a skinflint, I have been known to remove the slot cover from a
> no-longer-usable card and use that to fill the hole. An old AGP video
> card, as I recall, that is now useless because I no longer have AGP

Ah Ha! I do have some old cards laying around

Good idea TJ

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.25-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-8-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: graphic cards

<20220316012952.506eb069@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4545&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4545

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 01:29:52 +0100
 by: Aragorn - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 00:29 UTC

On 16.03.2022 at 07:49, faeychild scribbled:

> On 16/3/22 02:58, TJ wrote:
>
> > Being a skinflint, I have been known to remove the slot cover from
> > a no-longer-usable card and use that to fill the hole. An old AGP
> > video card, as I recall, that is now useless because I no longer
> > have AGP
>
> Ah Ha! I do have some old cards laying around
>
> Good idea TJ

A good tip for the future: buy CoolerMaster computer housings. Even if
you don't build your own computer, you can ask the shop to use a
CoolerMaster chassis if it is a shop-built system. And unless you want
to pay Microsoft for a Windows license, that is the way to go.

The whole thing is modular and everything can be (dis-)assembled with
thumb screws, including the expansion slot covers, and all such covers
are included by default.

So if/when you remove an expansion card, all you have to do is go
through the box of leftover parts and dig up a slot cover, which you can
then install without needing a screw driver. Just open the case (with
either a thumb screw or a click system), slide the cover in place and
tighten the thumb screw. ;)

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Re: graphic cards

<t0t31j$gdd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4548&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4548

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:25:20 -0400
 by: TJ - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 16:25 UTC

On 3/15/22 20:29, Aragorn wrote:
> On 16.03.2022 at 07:49, faeychild scribbled:
>
>> On 16/3/22 02:58, TJ wrote:
>>
>>> Being a skinflint, I have been known to remove the slot cover from
>>> a no-longer-usable card and use that to fill the hole. An old AGP
>>> video card, as I recall, that is now useless because I no longer
>>> have AGP
>>
>> Ah Ha! I do have some old cards laying around
>>
>> Good idea TJ
>
> A good tip for the future: buy CoolerMaster computer housings. Even if
> you don't build your own computer, you can ask the shop to use a
> CoolerMaster chassis if it is a shop-built system. And unless you want
> to pay Microsoft for a Windows license, that is the way to go.

I'll have to remember that - if I ever buy another case. I have three
atx cases and one micro-atx, and all are in good condition. I have no
problem with updating components, but the cases won't need it any time
soon - even the one that's 20 years old.

TJ

Re: graphic cards

<t0ti5q$r2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4551&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4551

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 07:43:35 +1100
 by: faeychild - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:43 UTC

On 16/3/22 11:29, Aragorn wrote:

> The whole thing is modular and everything can be (dis-)assembled with
> thumb screws, including the expansion slot covers, and all such covers
> are included by default.

there is something immensely satisfying about excellent engineering

I had my box built with no monitor, keyboard, or OS installed.
I did wonder if Microsoft had still crept in somewhere

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.28-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.