God doesn't play dice. -- Albert Einstein

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

SubjectAuthor
* One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do NY
+- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonesTheo
+- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonesDave Roya
+* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromAJL
> [...]
|   |    | |+* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonesKen Blake
|   |    | ||`* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonesFrank Slootweg
|   |    | || `- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonesKen Blake
|   |    | |`* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but textsChris
|   |    | | `- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonesFrank Slootweg
|   |    | `- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromJörg Lorenz
|   |    `- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but textsChris
|   `* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonStan Brown
|    `- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonAdrian
+- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromDavid Taylor
+- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonesVanguardLH
`* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromNY
 +* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonStan Brown
 |+* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonWally J
 ||`* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromcandycanearter07
 || `* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonesWally J
 ||  `- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromcandycanearter07
 |`* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonFrank Slootweg
 | `* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonStan Brown
 |  `- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phonStan Brown
 +- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromDavid Taylor
 `* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromDave Roya
  `* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromDavid Taylor
   `* Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromDave Royal
    `- Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent fromDavid Taylor

Pages:123
Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufbdft$1g6ag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45327&group=comp.mobile.android#45327

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts
sent from other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:17:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dNVkuBkMoK3REEq2wnI1XN9flIg=
 by: Chris - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:17 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Just an hour? I've too often been on the phone well over 4 hours trying
>>> to get them to resolve a problem.
>>
>> Why don't you you move?
>> Here, in the UK, that level of "service" would be unacceptable.
>
> To whom would you complain about service you don't like?

At the end of every call you have the option to provide feedback.

Or you ask to cancel the service and they will ask why. Simple really.

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufbdjj$1g6tj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45328&group=comp.mobile.android#45328

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
sent from other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:19:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:C4kphz+jT/3kUQus3NsQ9xYJHns=
 by: Chris - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:19 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/30/23 2:47 PM, Chris wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Just an hour? I've too often been on the phone well over 4 hours trying
>>> to get them to resolve a problem.
>>
>> Why don't you you move?
>>
>> Here, in the UK, that level of "service" would be unacceptable.
>
> We find it unacceptable too, we just can't do anything about it.

Why not? I thought the customer was king in the US? I keep being told that
if people don't want a feature it wouldn't sell in the US. The market is
perfect.

> OTOH,
> we have good dentistry :-)

We don't have ruinous medical bills *and* good healthcare :p

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufbf33$qsqs$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45329&group=comp.mobile.android#45329

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from
other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:45:07 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:45 UTC

Am 01.10.23 um 00:20 schrieb The Real Bev:
> On 9/30/23 2:47 PM, Chris wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Just an hour? I've too often been on the phone well over 4 hours trying
>>> to get them to resolve a problem.
>>
>> Why don't you you move?
>>
>> Here, in the UK, that level of "service" would be unacceptable.
>
> We find it unacceptable too, we just can't do anything about it.

Why? You can quit the contract. You have the legal right to do that
because of the substandard service level (= not fullfilling the contract).

--
Morituri te salutant

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive - the solution

<ufbi54$1ctb4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45330&group=comp.mobile.android#45330

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive - the solution
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:37:24 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:37 UTC

On 01/10/2023 09:41, Dave Royal wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Oct 2023 09:00:46 +0100, David Taylor wrote:
>
>> On 01/10/2023 07:47, Dave Royal wrote:
>>> There /are/ two types of messages on Android phones - old style SMSes
>>> and Google's new RCS. Bank codes use ordinary SMSes.
>>
>> Just by chance, I found the message type for SMS security confirmation
>> messages.
>>
>> They are called "Short Code SMS" messages, and on one verification
>> message, I noted that I could not reply to it.
>
> They come from a "short code" instead of a phone number. Businesses and
> organisations use them and some aim to be memorable. Anyone in the UK who
> travels by train will know the short code for the Britsh Transport Police
> - 61016.
>
> Apart from the originator code I'm pretty sure they're just SMSes as far
> as the phone is concerned.

Thanks, Dave. At one stage (after VM transferred phone to O2) I was able to
get normal texts, but not those from "short codes". I can't recall now whether
it sorted itself or whether I had to contact O2. So I had wondered whether
that might have been related to the OP's problem.

BTW: the "Visual Voice Mail" still doesn't work despite activating it, so
another of VM's failed promises!

--
Cheers,
David

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<+t9KyADVJVGlFwqA@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45331&group=comp.mobile.android#45331

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:04:53 +0100
 by: Adrian - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:04 UTC

In message <MPG.3f8296a85f07bb979901b1@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> writes
>On Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:32:10 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I have found that people who say that my call is important to
>> them are lying through their teeth.
>
>Just once I would love to hear a company being honest:
>
>"Your call is important to us, but not important enough for us to
>hire enough service reps to answer the phones in a reasonable time."

"Your call doesn't really make any difference to us, but for appearances
sake, we need to provide this facility."

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive - the solution

<ufccmb.ne4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45334&group=comp.mobile.android#45334

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive - the solution
Date: 1 Oct 2023 16:10:25 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:10 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
[...]
[A bit of thread drift:]

> In another thread I asked how to change the default contacts app to
> Google from Samsung, since there doesn't seem to be any way to do it
> in Samsung's UI. Unfortunately, no one has posted a reply giving a
> procedure. One person did suggest installing the Google Phone app and
> setting that as default phone app (which Samsung's UI seems to
> provide for), and I'm about ready to try that if nothing better turns
> up.

AFAIK, someone *did* post a suggestion which AFAIK is the correct one.
It involves the settings *of* the Google Contacts app, i.e. not settings
*in* the app and not some general Samsung setting.

I don't have two contacts apps, but I have two browsers - Samsung
Internet and (Google) Chrome - and AFAICT your problem is similar, i.e.
two apps - one Samsung and one Google - for the same function.

So I'll try to give instructions:

(Samsung) Settings -> Apps -> tap <name/icon of Google Contact app> ->
Defaults -> probably says 'Set as default' or '... app' -> tap that
description -> now you should get two buttons, one for the Samsung
Contacts app, one for the Google app -> tap the Google one and use the
back arrow till you're back.

If that doesn't work, do the same for the app 'Chrome' (or 'Samsung
Internet') and see how it should work

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufc68v$1kt4p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45335&group=comp.mobile.android#45335

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:20:41 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:20 UTC

On 10/1/23 2:45 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 01.10.23 um 00:20 schrieb The Real Bev:

>>> Why don't you you move?
>>>
>>> Here, in the UK, that level of "service" would be unacceptable.
>>
>> We find it unacceptable too, we just can't do anything about it.
>
> Why? You can quit the contract. You have the legal right to do that
> because of the substandard service level (= not fullfilling the contract).

Contracted entities are a small part of the problem. This is generic to
ALL businesses/agencies offering a 'contact us' phone number or chat line.

What's most bothersome is trying to make a medical appointment and being
told that you will receive a call-back which never happens in spite of
repeated calls. Ultimately we drove into Los Angeles to the actual
office. New doctor, but still...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Incontinence hotline, can you hold?"

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufc6db$1kt4p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45336&group=comp.mobile.android#45336

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:23:03 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:23 UTC

On 10/1/23 2:17 AM, Chris wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why don't you you move?
>>> Here, in the UK, that level of "service" would be unacceptable.
>>
>> To whom would you complain about service you don't like?
>
> At the end of every call you have the option to provide feedback.
>
> Or you ask to cancel the service and they will ask why. Simple really.

Check a box. Nobody has ever showed any actual interest in why I
canceled an account -- including at the bank where I'd had an account
for over 20 years. Today I suspect that if a bank saw someone that
angry standing in a line they'd probably call the SWAT team.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Incontinence hotline, can you hold?"

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufc7dq$1l5nm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45337&group=comp.mobile.android#45337

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:40:20 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:40 UTC

On 10/1/23 2:19 AM, Chris wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why don't you you move?
>>>
>>> Here, in the UK, that level of "service" would be unacceptable.
>>
>> We find it unacceptable too, we just can't do anything about it.
>
> Why not? I thought the customer was king in the US? I keep being told that
> if people don't want a feature it wouldn't sell in the US. The market is
> perfect.

People can be convinced that they want/need stupid stuff.

Consider cable. When cable TV started up cities granted charters to a
single company to run wire in that city. A monopoly. You want cable TV
or high-speed internet, you have ONE choice. Ultimately charters were
no longer needed, but at this point if a new company wanted to offer
internet service it had to run its own NEW lines -- a prohibitively
expensive undertaking in most cases.

Minor exception for AT&T which had previously run wire to pretty much
every home in the country and which had been updating its big wire; the
ones from the street to the house were truly pitiful, as we found out
when they ran fiber (at a BIG discount) and yanked out the old stuff a
few years ago. Now we have TWO broadband providers and prices have
dropped considerably; you just have to keep swapping service to take
advantage of 'introductory' pricing. Easy to do with a phone call now,
the wire/fiber is already in. Life is good.

>> OTOH,
>> we have good dentistry :-)
>
> We don't have ruinous medical bills *and* good healthcare :p

The quality of healthcare depends a lot on luck. SOMEBODY has to get
the docs that were in the bottom 10% of their med school classes, and if
you're lucky it's someone else. The office staff is nearly always
incompetent, but it wasn't always that way. Medicare is a tremendous
deal, but it doesn't improve the quality or timeliness of service.

Docs now work out of several offices and your GP is probably only
reasonably nearby one day a week or maybe every two weeks. If you're in
pain they'll shoehorn you in THIS week... maybe...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Incontinence hotline, can you hold?"

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufc8vi$1llna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45338&group=comp.mobile.android#45338

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:06:57 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:06 UTC

On 10/1/2023 9:40 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

People pissed at off topic stuff please read no further.

> Docs now work out of several offices and your GP is probably only
> reasonably nearby one day a week or maybe every two weeks. If you're in
> pain they'll shoehorn you in THIS week... maybe...

I'm fortunate in that if my PCP can't see me there's an Urgent Care
facility nearby that is walk in and can usually see me within an hour.
Fortunately they take my insurance so my co-pay for the visit is $15
(the same as my PCP)...

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<rkr3grvmxjrn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45339&group=comp.mobile.android#45339

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:13:26 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:13 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why don't you you move?
>>> Here, in the UK, that level of "service" would be unacceptable.
>>
>> To whom would you complain about service you don't like?
>
> At the end of every call you have the option to provide feedback.

Not available every time, or not available at all for a particular call
center or in-house tech support. Most times, sending feedback is like
continually pressing a cross-walk button that isn't connected. Also, if
sending feedback is easy then, yes, I'll do it. However, if I have to
wade through a ton more of voice prompts, and waste even more of my
time, then feedback costs me more than I'm willing to waste on it.
Also, if the problem got resolved, the point of working through the
problem was to get rid of it, and move on to do work. Sending feedback
adds to the troubleshooting time which I might not be able to afford,
especially after a really long tech call. At times I've had to do the
disconnect, because I have to leave for an appointment, or getting the
work done is more important than the immediate need to fix a problem
which is separate from doing the work. Throwing more time at a problem
isn't necessarily the best choice of your time.

Instead I will often ask to talk to a manager. They're the ones
responsible for their crew, not some joker that is completely
disconnected from the support group. If they won't release the phone
call to a manager, feedback isn't going to do any good, either.

Alas, feedback is often so generic, like your voting instead of
describing, that such feedback is worthless for knowing how to act on
it.

> Or you ask to cancel the service and they will ask why. Simple really.

I don't cancel services simply because I encounter an inept person.
However, just because I report a problem doesn't mean they will know how
to fix it. Sometimes the answer you get is not what you want, but there
isn't a good one. Have you quit helping in Usenet for the same reason?

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<13djx4rpafhxm$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45340&group=comp.mobile.android#45340

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:18:23 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:18 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/1/23 2:17 AM, Chris wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> To whom would you complain about service you don't like?
>>
>> At the end of every call you have the option to provide feedback.
>>
>> Or you ask to cancel the service and they will ask why. Simple really.
>
> Check a box. Nobody has ever showed any actual interest in why I
> canceled an account -- including at the bank where I'd had an account
> for over 20 years. Today I suspect that if a bank saw someone that
> angry standing in a line they'd probably call the SWAT team.

I remember when many Comcast customers threatened they were going to
cancel their service (TV, Internet, or both) because Comcast dropped
Usenet service. One, it was mostly a vacuous thread. Almost none of
those whiners quit any service from Comcast. Two, of those that did
carry out their threat, that loss in revenue was trivial to the cost of
manpower and resources in operating a Usenet service, and a few lost
customers wasn't going to affect their bottom line.

If any company was really going to feel an impact on the loss of you as
their customer, they'd be far more motivated in helping you resolve
problems. For a small company with a few customers, a loss of one or a
few customers significantly impacts their survival. For a company with
hundreds of thousands of customer, nah, you aren't that important as a
single customer, but get a bit more help if you are an enterprise
customer spending a hell of a lot more money with them. They know
economics, too.

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufcc10$2e37u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45341&group=comp.mobile.android#45341

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:58:50 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:58 UTC

On 10/1/23 10:06 AM, AJL wrote:
> On 10/1/2023 9:40 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> People pissed at off topic stuff please read no further.
>
>> Docs now work out of several offices and your GP is probably only
>> reasonably nearby one day a week or maybe every two weeks. If you're in
>> pain they'll shoehorn you in THIS week... maybe...
>
> I'm fortunate in that if my PCP can't see me there's an Urgent Care
> facility nearby that is walk in and can usually see me within an hour.
> Fortunately they take my insurance so my co-pay for the visit is $15
> (the same as my PCP)...

We have those too. Absolutely worthless. All I wanted was a splinter
removed, but nope -- stupid cow just dug around for a while and gave up.
Friend was told she had to go to the REAL ER after waiting perhaps an
hour to be seen, and I have no idea how much they charged for that.

Anything the urgent care people can deal with I can probably deal with
myself -- hey, I've got band-aids, polysporin, alcohol, peroxide and Ace
bandages! Oh yeah, aspirin, ibuprofen and cranberry juice.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Life is actually fair. It just doesn't seem to be common

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive - the solution

<MPG.3f83642f28dd8fb19901b4@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45342&group=comp.mobile.android#45342

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:11:11 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:11 UTC

On 1 Oct 2023 16:10:25 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> (Samsung) Settings -> Apps -> tap <name/icon of Google Contact app> ->
> Defaults -> probably says 'Set as default' or '... app' -> tap that
> description -> now you should get two buttons, one for the Samsung
> Contacts app, one for the Google app

Unfortunately not. It says "Default in this app" and when I tap that
I get a new page:

Set as default
Contacts
Select whether to use this app instead of your
browser app when you go to supported web
addresses.
Open supported links [ *]
Supported web addresses <-- grayed out
Open by default <-- halfway between gray and white
Clear defaults [Clear]

The slider for "open supported links" is set on. I didn't tap the
Clear button.

Samsung seems to be moving to prevent changing default applications.
The path you suggested, which _seems_ as though it should let us make
an app the default for its main function, actually controls only
whether the app handles some links itself or ships them to a browser.
(At least, that's what the text says. Whether Samsung means what it
says is an open question.)

It's really quite annoying -- I didn't realize Samsung was going to
put up so many roadblocks to my chosen apps, like Microsoft Windows.
And I'm dreading further annoyances that may be introduced with this
weekend's update. The description of the update says some settings
may change, but naturally doesn't say which ones. Oy vey!

> If that doesn't work, do the same for the app 'Chrome' (or 'Samsung
> Internet') and see how it should work

Chrome, under Defaults", says "Browser App Chrome". That seems to be
how it should be, but the Samsung UI treats contacts differently.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<MPG.3f8365ced837777e9901b5@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45343&group=comp.mobile.android#45343

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:18:12 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:18 UTC

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:23:03 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/1/23 2:17 AM, Chris wrote:
> > [quoted text muted]
> >
> > At the end of every call you have the option to provide feedback.
> >
> > Or you ask to cancel the service and they will ask why. Simple really.
>
> Check a box. Nobody has ever showed any actual interest in why I
> canceled an account -- including at the bank where I'd had an account
> for over 20 years. Today I suspect that if a bank saw someone that
> angry standing in a line they'd probably call the SWAT team.

I was with Consumer Cellular 2015 until a couple of weeks ago, and
when I canceled they never asked why, just sent multiple emails
saying "we want you back".

And to return to this thread's topic, when Consumer Cellular went to
2-factor authentication earlier this year, the options for a code
were text message or email. Every time I chose the text message, and
not once did it arrive. (This was once a month or more, since I had
to go through it to pick up my bill.) Then I would select email,
which did arrive (after a minute or two). It really does seem like
amateur hour over there.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<MPG.3f8368adf4d22ae79901b6@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45344&group=comp.mobile.android#45344

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:30:27 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:30 UTC

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:13:26 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
> Not available every time, or not available at all for a particular call
> center or in-house tech support. Most times, sending feedback is like
> continually pressing a cross-walk button that isn't connected. Also, if
> sending feedback is easy then, yes, I'll do it. However, if I have to
> wade through a ton more of voice prompts, and waste even more of my
> time, then feedback costs me more than I'm willing to waste on it.

My big bugaboo is that the surveys always seem to ask questions where
none of the options is the right answer, but they don't let you
proceed unless you pick one. That's when I hang up.

Email surveys have the same issue plus a second annoyance: I've
interacted with two reps at the company with a couple of days,
because the first one didn't solve the problem or what they said
would happen didn't happen. The survey says something like "your
interaction with (company name)" but doesn't tell me which of the two
interactions they're talking about. That email goes straight to
trash.

In any case, I highly suspect all these surveys are just theater, and
don't make any difference in the company's operations. If they took
the feedback into account, they'd have to spend more money to provide
better service, and of course that's not going to happen.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufcig3$2fne3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45345&group=comp.mobile.android#45345

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:49:22 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:49 UTC

On 10/1/2023 10:58 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/1/23 10:06 AM, AJL wrote:

>> People pissed at off topic stuff please read no further.

>> I'm fortunate in that if my PCP can't see me there's an Urgent Care
>> facility nearby that is walk in and can usually see me within an
>> hour. Fortunately they take my insurance so my co-pay for the visit
>> is $15.

> We have those too. Absolutely worthless.

YMMV. I've always had good service at mine.

> Friend was told she had to go to the REAL ER after waiting perhaps an
> hour to be seen, and I have no idea how much they charged for that.

Probably depends on her insurance. My co-pay for an emergency room visit
is $50.

> Anything the urgent care people can deal with I can probably deal
> with myself -- hey, I've got band-aids, polysporin, alcohol,
> peroxide and Ace bandages! Oh yeah, aspirin, ibuprofen and cranberry
> juice.

But you can't write prescriptions...

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive - the solution

<MPG.3f837f9c30f8c0289901b9@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45354&group=comp.mobile.android#45354

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 14:08:21 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 21:08 UTC

The solution was to replace Samsung's Phone app with Google's, as I
just reported in the other thread, "Re: Samsung phone app, Google
contacts app".

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:11:11 -0700, Stan Brown wrote:

> On 1 Oct 2023 16:10:25 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > (Samsung) Settings -> Apps -> tap <name/icon of Google Contact app> ->
> > Defaults -> probably says 'Set as default' or '... app' -> tap that
> > description -> now you should get two buttons, one for the Samsung
> > Contacts app, one for the Google app
>
> Unfortunately not. It says "Default in this app" and when I tap that
> I get a new page:
>
> Set as default
> Contacts
> Select whether to use this app instead of your
> browser app when you go to supported web
> addresses.
> Open supported links [ *]
> Supported web addresses <-- grayed out
> Open by default <-- halfway between gray and white
> Clear defaults [Clear]
>
> The slider for "open supported links" is set on. I didn't tap the
> Clear button.
>
> Samsung seems to be moving to prevent changing default applications.
> The path you suggested, which _seems_ as though it should let us make
> an app the default for its main function, actually controls only
> whether the app handles some links itself or ships them to a browser.
> (At least, that's what the text says. Whether Samsung means what it
> says is an open question.)
>
> It's really quite annoying -- I didn't realize Samsung was going to
> put up so many roadblocks to my chosen apps, like Microsoft Windows.
> And I'm dreading further annoyances that may be introduced with this
> weekend's update. The description of the update says some settings
> may change, but naturally doesn't say which ones. Oy vey!
>
> > If that doesn't work, do the same for the app 'Chrome' (or 'Samsung
> > Internet') and see how it should work
>
> Chrome, under Defaults", says "Browser App Chrome". That seems to be
> how it should be, but the Samsung UI treats contacts differently.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive - the solution

<ufct1m$1d43g$18@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45372&group=comp.mobile.android#45372

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive - the solution
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:49:26 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 22:49 UTC

On 10/1/23 00:21, Wally J wrote:
> Likewise, based on my search just now, I think the Samsung contacts
> app is called <com.samsung.android.app.contacts> on the Galaxy series.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/W38s6RNj/contact01.jpg>

How do you create these images?

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufd0qg$2ideb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45375&group=comp.mobile.android#45375

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
sent from other phones do arrive
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 23:53:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tn9voriqRiSJAwSmUgy0B8MBHdg=
 by: Chris - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 23:53 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> To whom would you complain about service you don't like?
>>
>> At the end of every call you have the option to provide feedback.
>
> Not available every time, or not available at all for a particular call
> center or in-house tech support.

Here, pretty much any CS centre has it. If not you simply ask to make a
complaint and they are required to take it. If they don't respond within
14-28 days you take it to the ombudsman.

>> Or you ask to cancel the service and they will ask why. Simple really.
>
> I don't cancel services simply because I encounter an inept person.

It's the threat of cancellation that gets you noticed. No need to actually
cancel. Unless you're genuinely unhappy, of course.

> However, just because I report a problem doesn't mean they will know how
> to fix it. Sometimes the answer you get is not what you want, but there
> isn't a good one. Have you quit helping in Usenet for the same reason?

There are particular people I don't help on usenet.

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive - the solution

<ufdc1o$3ud9d$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45378&group=comp.mobile.android#45378

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 23:05:29 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 03:05 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

>> Likewise, based on my search just now, I think the Samsung contacts
>> app is called <com.samsung.android.app.contacts> on the Galaxy series.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/W38s6RNj/contact01.jpg>
>
> How do you create these images?

My phone is normally always displayed on my Windows machine.

That way my phone display is about two feet tall and a foot wide (or so).
Easy for me to see and easy for me to interact with mouse & keyboard.

I just merge screenshots of the display & then edit using Windows freeware.
Easy peasy.

If you need more information, check out Usenet archives for the r.p.d ng.
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.photo.digital>
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware>
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
etc.

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive - the solution

<ufdd63$2o2st$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45379&group=comp.mobile.android#45379

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive - the solution
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 22:24:51 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 03:24 UTC

On 10/1/23 22:05, Wally J wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote
>
>>> Likewise, based on my search just now, I think the Samsung contacts
>>> app is called <com.samsung.android.app.contacts> on the Galaxy series.
>>> <https://i.postimg.cc/W38s6RNj/contact01.jpg>
>>
>> How do you create these images?
>
> My phone is normally always displayed on my Windows machine.
>
> That way my phone display is about two feet tall and a foot wide (or so).
> Easy for me to see and easy for me to interact with mouse & keyboard.
>
> I just merge screenshots of the display & then edit using Windows freeware.
> Easy peasy.
>
> If you need more information, check out Usenet archives for the r.p.d ng.
> <https://groups.google.com/g/rec.photo.digital>
> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware>
> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
> etc.

Ooh cool.

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<fnllhit6g6mudg0onhkp2ia243erkiurmq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45384&group=comp.mobile.android#45384

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 07:43:32 -0700
References: <uf6dhn$8m51$1@dont-email.me> <uf6t4i$bqn3$2@dont-email.me> <uf86ei$mo5t$1@dont-email.me> <uf8l7u$p40l$1@dont-email.me> <uf9iif$10ik6$1@dont-email.me> <19a7alvovx1ff$.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <ufa50k$14v44$1@dont-email.me> <ufa6vs$15b0u$1@dont-email.me> <ufbdjj$1g6tj$1@dont-email.me> <ufc7dq$1l5nm$1@dont-email.me> <ufc8vi$1llna$1@dont-email.me> <ufcc10$2e37u$1@dont-email.me> <ufcig3$2fne3$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 14:43 UTC

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:49:22 -0700, AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 10/1/2023 10:58 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 10/1/23 10:06 AM, AJL wrote:
>
>>> People pissed at off topic stuff please read no further.
>
>>> I'm fortunate in that if my PCP can't see me there's an Urgent Care
>>> facility nearby that is walk in and can usually see me within an
>>> hour. Fortunately they take my insurance so my co-pay for the visit
>>> is $15.
>
>> We have those too. Absolutely worthless.
>
>YMMV. I've always had good service at mine.

As have I, but I've only had two experiences with it.

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<4qllhiddtpqeaqfmsho3h4nojb3ojb57on@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45385&group=comp.mobile.android#45385

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 07:46:25 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 14:46 UTC

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:30:27 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:13:26 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Not available every time, or not available at all for a particular call
>> center or in-house tech support. Most times, sending feedback is like
>> continually pressing a cross-walk button that isn't connected. Also, if
>> sending feedback is easy then, yes, I'll do it. However, if I have to
>> wade through a ton more of voice prompts, and waste even more of my
>> time, then feedback costs me more than I'm willing to waste on it.
>>

>My big bugaboo is that the surveys always seem to ask questions where
>none of the options is the right answer, but they don't let you
>proceed unless you pick one. That's when I hang up.
>
>Email surveys have the same issue plus a second annoyance: I've
>interacted with two reps at the company with a couple of days,
>because the first one didn't solve the problem or what they said
>would happen didn't happen. The survey says something like "your
>interaction with (company name)" but doesn't tell me which of the two
>interactions they're talking about. That email goes straight to
>trash.
>
>In any case, I highly suspect all these surveys are just theater, and
>don't make any difference in the company's operations. If they took
>the feedback into account, they'd have to spend more money to provide
>better service, and of course that's not going to happen.

That reminds me that I sometimes get e-mail or text messages from my
medical insurance company or a doctors office that don't tell me
whether they are referring to me or my wife.

Re: One-time security code texts fail to arrive but texts sent from other phones do arrive

<ufeo1c$30ls8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45388&group=comp.mobile.android#45388

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
other phones do arrive
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 08:36:12 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 15:36 UTC

On 10/2/2023 7:43 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> AJL wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> We have those too. Absolutely worthless.

>> YMMV. I've always had good service at mine.

> As have I, but I've only had two experiences with it.

Perhaps I use it more than I should for simple stuff since it's often
easier than going to the PCP and the cost is the same (YMMV). Most
recently the SO woke feeling bad. She called the PCP but couldn't get in
until late afternoon so went to Urgent Care and was back home by 9AM.

I also have a Virtual Doctor available for simple stuff. My insurance
company is always suggesting I use it since (I'm guessing) they run it
and it probably costs them less...