PURGE COMPLETE.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / 21H1

SubjectAuthor
* 21H1John Doe
+* Re: 21H1Ed Cryer
|`* Re: 21H1John Doe
| `* Re: 21H1Paul
|  `* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|   `* Re: 21H1Paul
|    `* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|     `* Re: 21H1Paul
|      +- Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|      `* Re: 21H1John Doe
|       `* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|        `* Re: 21H1John Doe
|         +* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|         |`- Re: 21H1John Doe
|         `* Re: 21H1Paul
|          `* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|           +* Re: 21H1Paul
|           |`- Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|           `* Re: 21H1...w¡ñ§±¤n
|            `* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|             `* Re: 21H1...w¡ñ§±¤n
|              `* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|               +* Re: 21H1knuttle
|               |`* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|               | `* Re: 21H1Ant
|               |  +- Re: 21H1John Doe
|               |  `* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|               |   +- Re: 21H1Kirk Bubul
|               |   `* Re: 21H1Ed Cryer
|               |    `* Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
|               |     `* Re: 21H1John Doe
|               |      `* Re: 21H1Ed Cryer
|               |       +- Re: 21H1John Doe
|               |       `- Re: 21H1J. P. Gilliver (John)
|               `* Re: 21H1...w¡ñ§±¤n
|                `- Re: 21H1Rene Lamontagne
`- Re: 21H1Paul

Pages:12
21H1

<s9clte$s88$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45583&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45583

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: 21H1
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 07:49:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 07:49 UTC

My system/notification tray has disappeared.

Maybe because I turned off "News and Interests"...

Re: 21H1

<s9cq65$ofq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45588&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45588

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: 21H1
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 10:01:42 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 09:01 UTC

John Doe wrote:
> My system/notification tray has disappeared.
>
> Maybe because I turned off "News and Interests"...

I turned mine off and the whole right hand side of the taskbar got
mangled. So I put it back on and it's OK.
Sneaky M$!!

Ed

Re: 21H1

<s9d4pi$uup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45595

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 08:02:56 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 12:02 UTC

John Doe wrote:
> My system/notification tray has disappeared.
>
> Maybe because I turned off "News and Interests"...

https://pureinfotech.com/disable-taskbar-news-widget-windows-10/

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Feeds
ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode DWORD32 2 = Off
0 = On (Show Icon and Text)
1 = On (Show Icon only)

Since that entry doesn't exist until you create it,
it suggests there may be more than one "turn off"
mechanism.

Maybe one of them was intended as a GPEDIT lever.

Paul

Re: 21H1

<s9dj3d$5ci$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45616&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45616

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 16:07:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 16:07 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>> My system/notification tray has disappeared.
>>
>> Maybe because I turned off "News and Interests"...

> I turned mine off and the whole right hand side of the taskbar got
> mangled. So I put it back on and it's OK. Sneaky M$!!

That appears to be the ugly workaround.

More like "Nasty". Difficult to believe that's an oversight.

I don't even have such stuff on my smartphone. I already know how to get
news and any other information. Microsoft continues dumbing down the PC as if
it can be turned into a smartphone. Yes, Microsoft wants to turn the PC into a
smartphone... I suppose that might be justified if its ultraports were at all
successful, but they aren't.

Re: 21H1

<s9idjj$j22$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45742&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45742

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 08:04:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:04 UTC

John Doe wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:
>
>>> My system/notification tray has disappeared.
>>>
>>> Maybe because I turned off "News and Interests"...
>
>> I turned mine off and the whole right hand side of the taskbar got
>> mangled. So I put it back on and it's OK. Sneaky M$!!
>
> That appears to be the ugly workaround.
>
> More like "Nasty". Difficult to believe that's an oversight.
>
> I don't even have such stuff on my smartphone. I already know how to get
> news and any other information. Microsoft continues dumbing down the PC as if
> it can be turned into a smartphone. Yes, Microsoft wants to turn the PC into a
> smartphone... I suppose that might be justified if its ultraports were at all
> successful, but they aren't.

I finally got the update installed for that on the
Release OS, and turning "News and Interests" off
didn't do anything weird here.

Is there anything in the tray that might be non-standard
(the direct-from-Realtek audio driver and panel, rather than
the Microsoft generic HD driver) ?

Paul

Re: 21H1

<ii4869Fnq6oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45756&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45756

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 10:33:29 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 15:33 UTC

On 2021-06-06 7:04 a.m., Paul wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> Ed Cryer wrote:

>>> I turned mine off and the whole right hand side of the taskbar got
>>> mangled. So I put it back on and it's OK. Sneaky M$!!
>>
>> That appears to be the ugly workaround.
>> More like "Nasty". Difficult to believe that's an oversight.
>> I don't even have such stuff on my smartphone. I already know how to get
>> news and any other information. Microsoft continues dumbing down the
>> PC as if it can be turned into a smartphone. Yes, Microsoft wants to
>> turn the PC into a smartphone... I suppose that might be justified if
>> its ultraports were at all successful, but they aren't.
>
> I finally got the update installed for that on the
> Release OS, and turning "News and Interests" off
> didn't do anything weird here.
>
> Is there anything in the tray that might be non-standard
> (the direct-from-Realtek audio driver and panel, rather than
> the Microsoft generic HD driver) ?
>
>    Paul

Yeah, my system notification tray disappears when I restart every
morning, I have to turn it back on every day, This only started
with19043.1023, I see your registry fix here so I will do that as soon
as I am finished with reading the newsgroups. all I have in it are
Malware-bytes, Bluetooth, Internet access and Speaker icons.

OT.... Continuing my saga I figured I would let Paul know the results of
my lung biopsy,
Got the results Friday, Yep, as I figured, Cancer in my right lung, The
radiologist are passing the results on to a team of Thoracic Oncologists
Who have 3 options

Surgery, (I'm getting kinda old for that)
chemotherapy (I said No, it nearly killed me twice, 11 years ago)
or radiation treatments which seems the best option, I will know next
week.
Now I will go and try and fix my notification area. :-)

Rene

Re: 21H1

<s9iuim$6aj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45767&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45767

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 12:53:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 16:53 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Yeah, my system notification tray disappears when I restart every
> morning, I have to turn it back on every day, This only started
> with19043.1023, I see your registry fix here so I will do that as soon
> as I am finished with reading the newsgroups. all I have in it are
> Malware-bytes, Bluetooth, Internet access and Speaker icons.
>
> OT.... Continuing my saga I figured I would let Paul know the results of
> my lung biopsy,
> Got the results Friday, Yep, as I figured, Cancer in my right lung, The
> radiologist are passing the results on to a team of Thoracic Oncologists
> Who have 3 options
>
> Surgery, (I'm getting kinda old for that)
> chemotherapy (I said No, it nearly killed me twice, 11 years ago)
> or radiation treatments which seems the best option, I will know next
> week.
> Now I will go and try and fix my notification area. :-)
>
> Rene

I wonder if they do a decent chemo yet ?

Do they know if it's labile, and about to go all over the place ?

Based on your CT/PET, they should have some idea how many
sites are involved.

One of the hospitals here, is trying to gather funding for
a molecular lab. That, in theory, will allow the beginnings
of custom cancer treatment (take a sample of the cancer,
make a counter-agent for it). This is pretty high up
on the "experimental" scale.

The biggest problem with our health system here, is response
speed. Can they hit it fast enough to make a difference.

That's why my experience has been an eye-opener for me.
So slow. It's so slow, I'm having trouble "charting the progress".
Someone finally told me, via video conference a couple weeks
ago, there is one surgical procedure they could do for me.
The other doctors didn't even broach the subject. It was
the geneticist who mentioned it (genetic testing to tell
relatives what to expect).

I think before I agreed to a treatment, I'd want some
sort of rating on "life expectancy" and "quality of life"
for each option.

Paul

Re: 21H1

<ii4ft6Fp90hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45776&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45776

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:45:10 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 17:45 UTC

On 2021-06-06 11:53 a.m., Paul wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>
>> Yeah, my system notification tray disappears when I restart every
>> morning, I have to turn it back on every day, This only started
>> with19043.1023, I see your registry fix here so I will do that as soon
>> as I am finished with reading the newsgroups. all I have in it are
>> Malware-bytes, Bluetooth, Internet access and Speaker icons.
>>
>> OT.... Continuing my saga I figured I would let Paul know the results
>> of my lung biopsy,
>> Got the results Friday, Yep, as I figured, Cancer in my right lung,
>> The radiologist are passing the results on to a team of Thoracic
>> Oncologists Who have 3 options
>>
>> Surgery, (I'm getting kinda old for that)
>>  chemotherapy (I said No, it nearly killed me twice, 11 years ago)
>>  or radiation treatments which seems the best option, I will know next
>> week.
>> Now I will go and try and fix my notification area. :-)
>>
>> Rene
>
> I wonder if they do a decent chemo yet ?
>
> Do they know if it's labile, and about to go all over the place ?
>
> Based on your CT/PET, they should have some idea how many
> sites are involved.
>
> One of the hospitals here, is trying to gather funding for
> a molecular lab. That, in theory, will allow the beginnings
> of custom cancer treatment (take a sample of the cancer,
> make a counter-agent for it). This is pretty high up
> on the "experimental" scale.
>
> The biggest problem with our health system here, is response
> speed. Can they hit it fast enough to make a difference.
>
> That's why my experience has been an eye-opener for me.
> So slow. It's so slow, I'm having trouble "charting the progress".
> Someone finally told me, via video conference a couple weeks
> ago, there is one surgical procedure they could do for me.
> The other doctors didn't even broach the subject. It was
> the geneticist who mentioned it (genetic testing to tell
> relatives what to expect).
>
> I think before I agreed to a treatment, I'd want some
> sort of rating on "life expectancy" and "quality of life"
> for each option.
>
>    Paul

Only 1 site in the lung, no spreading, they did brain scans also just in
case but OK there.
Yes I also want some sort of rating, if not good I may just let it run
and enjoy what time I have left. :-)

I did the registry hack for my notification area but it still disappears
when I reboot and I have to turn it off in the taskbar menu, guess I
will just wait for the next update for a fix (maybe) .
I think Windows needs a little more polish, Wax on Wax off ( Mr Miyagi).

Rene

Re: 21H1

<s9j8pp$ekb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45789&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45789

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 15:48:08 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 19:48 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-06 11:53 a.m., Paul wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, my system notification tray disappears when I restart every
>>> morning, I have to turn it back on every day, This only started
>>> with19043.1023, I see your registry fix here so I will do that as
>>> soon as I am finished with reading the newsgroups. all I have in it
>>> are Malware-bytes, Bluetooth, Internet access and Speaker icons.
>>>
>>> OT.... Continuing my saga I figured I would let Paul know the results
>>> of my lung biopsy,
>>> Got the results Friday, Yep, as I figured, Cancer in my right lung,
>>> The radiologist are passing the results on to a team of Thoracic
>>> Oncologists Who have 3 options
>>>
>>> Surgery, (I'm getting kinda old for that)
>>> chemotherapy (I said No, it nearly killed me twice, 11 years ago)
>>> or radiation treatments which seems the best option, I will know
>>> next week.
>>> Now I will go and try and fix my notification area. :-)
>>>
>>> Rene
>>
>> I wonder if they do a decent chemo yet ?
>>
>> Do they know if it's labile, and about to go all over the place ?
>>
>> Based on your CT/PET, they should have some idea how many
>> sites are involved.
>>
>> One of the hospitals here, is trying to gather funding for
>> a molecular lab. That, in theory, will allow the beginnings
>> of custom cancer treatment (take a sample of the cancer,
>> make a counter-agent for it). This is pretty high up
>> on the "experimental" scale.
>>
>> The biggest problem with our health system here, is response
>> speed. Can they hit it fast enough to make a difference.
>>
>> That's why my experience has been an eye-opener for me.
>> So slow. It's so slow, I'm having trouble "charting the progress".
>> Someone finally told me, via video conference a couple weeks
>> ago, there is one surgical procedure they could do for me.
>> The other doctors didn't even broach the subject. It was
>> the geneticist who mentioned it (genetic testing to tell
>> relatives what to expect).
>>
>> I think before I agreed to a treatment, I'd want some
>> sort of rating on "life expectancy" and "quality of life"
>> for each option.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Only 1 site in the lung, no spreading, they did brain scans also just in
> case but OK there.
> Yes I also want some sort of rating, if not good I may just let it run
> and enjoy what time I have left. :-)
>
> I did the registry hack for my notification area but it still disappears
> when I reboot and I have to turn it off in the taskbar menu, guess I
> will just wait for the next update for a fix (maybe) .
> I think Windows needs a little more polish, Wax on Wax off ( Mr Miyagi).
>
> Rene

Is it the "ghost" of the News and Interests window that covers
what is supposed to be there ?

Or a lack of decoration in the corner entirely (like a bunch of
decoration routines have been told to take a lunch break).

When I switched mine off, there wasn't a fuss.

I switched mine off because it's a privacy violation. The
weather bug has my location, when the location services are
supposed to be OFF.

"They know where you are"

But they're not supposed to admit it.

That's why Google puts the fake location description at the bottom
of the search web page. It's a cover for the "we know exactly
where you are" part.

Microsoft knows exactly where I am, thanks to activation servers
and credit card receipts. But bragging about it by putting
a weather bug on my Taskbar, that's not going to stay there.

Paul

Re: 21H1

<ii4on3FqselU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45791&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45791

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 15:15:32 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 20:15 UTC

On 2021-06-06 2:48 p.m., Paul wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> I wonder if they do a decent chemo yet ?
>>>
>>> Do they know if it's labile, and about to go all over the place ?
>>>
>>> Based on your CT/PET, they should have some idea how many
>>> sites are involved.
>>>
>>> One of the hospitals here, is trying to gather funding for
>>> a molecular lab. That, in theory, will allow the beginnings
>>> of custom cancer treatment (take a sample of the cancer,
>>> make a counter-agent for it). This is pretty high up
>>> on the "experimental" scale.
>>>
>>> The biggest problem with our health system here, is response
>>> speed. Can they hit it fast enough to make a difference.
>>>
>>> That's why my experience has been an eye-opener for me.
>>> So slow. It's so slow, I'm having trouble "charting the progress".
>>> Someone finally told me, via video conference a couple weeks
>>> ago, there is one surgical procedure they could do for me.
>>> The other doctors didn't even broach the subject. It was
>>> the geneticist who mentioned it (genetic testing to tell
>>> relatives what to expect).
>>>
>>> I think before I agreed to a treatment, I'd want some
>>> sort of rating on "life expectancy" and "quality of life"
>>> for each option.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> Only 1 site in the lung, no spreading, they did brain scans also just
>> in case but OK there.
>> Yes I also want some sort of rating, if not good I may just let it run
>> and enjoy what time I have left.  :-)
>>
>> I did the registry hack for my notification area but it still
>> disappears when I reboot and I have to turn it off in the taskbar
>> menu, guess I will just wait for the next update for a fix (maybe) .
>>  I think Windows needs a little more polish, Wax on Wax off ( Mr Miyagi).
>>
>> Rene
>>

> Is it the "ghost" of the News and Interests window that covers
> what is supposed to be there ?
>
> Or a lack of decoration in the corner entirely (like a bunch of
> decoration routines have been told to take a lunch break).
>
> When I switched mine off, there wasn't a fuss.
>
> I switched mine off because it's a privacy violation. The
> weather bug has my location, when the location services are
> supposed to be OFF.
>
> "They know where you are"
>
> But they're not supposed to admit it.
>
> That's why Google puts the fake location description at the bottom
> of the search web page. It's a cover for the "we know exactly
> where you are" part.
>
> Microsoft knows exactly where I am, thanks to activation servers
> and credit card receipts. But bragging about it by putting
> a weather bug on my Taskbar, that's not going to stay there.
>
>    Paul

Yeah, everything disappears, including the clock and time and date, the
4 icons and the notification icon, total blank, when I click on news and
interests>turn off, everything reappears and comes back to normal.

Windows 10 = revolving door. :-)

Rene

Re: 21H1

<s9jjh9$gt8$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45797&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45797

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:51:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:51 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> When I switched mine [News and Interests system tray icon] off, there
> wasn't a fuss.

That makes 3 to 1.

Re: 21H1

<ii52ivFsm05U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45798&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45798

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:03:59 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:03 UTC

On 2021-06-06 5:51 p.m., John Doe wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> When I switched mine [News and Interests system tray icon] off, there
>> wasn't a fuss.
>
> That makes 3 to 1.

I'm Just Lucky I guess :-(

Rene

Re: 21H1

<s9jkr8$od2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45800&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45800

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:13:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:13 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> When I switched mine [News and Interests system tray icon] off, there
>>> wasn't a fuss.
>>
>> That makes 3 to 1.

> I'm Just Lucky I guess :-(

You are one of the three.

Re: 21H1

<ii5482Ft0j7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45801&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45801

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:32:17 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:32 UTC

On 2021-06-06 6:13 p.m., John Doe wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> That makes 3 to 1.
>
>> I'm Just Lucky I guess :-(
>
> You are one of the three.

Sorry, my misunderstanding, If I don't reboot or shutdown it will stay
stable so I only have to reset it once in the morning.

Rene

Re: 21H1

<s9k1rf$pqf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45808&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45808

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 22:55:43 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 02:55 UTC

John Doe wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> That makes 3 to 1.
>
>> I'm Just Lucky I guess :-(
>
> You are one of the three.

My configurations are not very adventurous, so
that probably accounts for it. I was also a bit
slow installing it (late to the party).

It also behaved properly, when I switched it off
on the Insider a while back. I may have used Regedit
or something at the time, as I'm not sure the fancy
menu was ready.

Paul

Re: 21H1

<s9lefo$5kd$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45828&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45828

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 15:37:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 15:37 UTC

The dirty work around was already given in the first reply.

Just reenable Microsoft's new nonsense. Then the system tray acts normally.

Re: 21H1

<iihluhFbs69U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46059&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46059

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:48:01 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:48 UTC

On 2021-06-06 9:55 p.m., Paul wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> I'm Just Lucky I guess  :-(
>>
>> You are one of the three.
>
> My configurations are not very adventurous, so
> that probably accounts for it. I was also a bit
> slow installing it (late to the party).
>
> It also behaved properly, when I switched it off
> on the Insider a while back. I may have used Regedit
> or something at the time, as I'm not sure the fancy
> menu was ready.
>
>    Paul

According to Tenforums, Seeing as this notification bull crap was a
new feature installed with KB5003214 and I am suffering from it as many
others and a fix for it is to uninstall that KB update, The problem is
that I don't seem to have that one in , uninstall updates, can it be
hiding somewhere else?

Rene

Re: 21H1

<sa08lv$1vh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46061&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46061

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:05:51 -0400
References: <s9clte$s88$1@dont-email.me> <s9cq65$ofq$1@dont-email.me> <s9dj3d$5ci$1@dont-email.me> <s9idjj$j22$1@dont-email.me> <ii4869Fnq6oU1@mid.individual.net> <s9iuim$6aj$1@dont-email.me> <ii4ft6Fp90hU1@mid.individual.net> <s9j8pp$ekb$1@dont-email.me> <s9jjh9$gt8$5@dont-email.me> <ii52ivFsm05U1@mid.individual.net> <s9jkr8$od2$2@dont-email.me> <s9k1rf$pqf$2@dont-email.me> <iihluhFbs69U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Paul - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:05 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-06 9:55 p.m., Paul wrote:
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> You are one of the three.
>>
>> My configurations are not very adventurous, so
>> that probably accounts for it. I was also a bit
>> slow installing it (late to the party).
>>
>> It also behaved properly, when I switched it off
>> on the Insider a while back. I may have used Regedit
>> or something at the time, as I'm not sure the fancy
>> menu was ready.
>>
>> Paul
>
> According to Tenforums, Seeing as this notification bull crap was a new
> feature installed with KB5003214 and I am suffering from it as many
> others and a fix for it is to uninstall that KB update, The problem is
> that I don't seem to have that one in , uninstall updates, can it be
> hiding somewhere else?
>
> Rene

systeminfo.exe # get package KB num

wusa /uninstall /kb:4058702 /quiet /norestart

With DISM instead... while the OS is running (/online)

dism /online /get-packages /format:table

dism /Online /Remove-Package /PackageName:PackageName

# an example of a full package name, to be used on the end.

"Package_for_KB4058702~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.188.1.0"

See if it is listed.

Paul

Re: 21H1

<iii29sFe5i2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46079&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46079

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:18:52 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 21:18 UTC

On 2021-06-11 1:05 p.m., Paul wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> My configurations are not very adventurous, so
>>> that probably accounts for it. I was also a bit
>>> slow installing it (late to the party).
>>>
>>> It also behaved properly, when I switched it off
>>> on the Insider a while back. I may have used Regedit
>>> or something at the time, as I'm not sure the fancy
>>> menu was ready.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>>  According to Tenforums, Seeing as this notification bull crap was a
>> new feature installed with KB5003214 and I am suffering from it as
>> many others and a fix for it is to uninstall that KB update, The
>> problem is that I don't seem to have that one in , uninstall updates,
>> can it be hiding somewhere else?
>>
>> Rene
>>

>    systeminfo.exe              # get package KB num
>
>    wusa /uninstall /kb:4058702 /quiet /norestart
>
> With DISM instead... while the OS is running (/online)
>
>    dism /online /get-packages /format:table
>
>    dism /Online /Remove-Package /PackageName:PackageName
>
>       # an example of a full package name, to be used on the end.
>
>       "Package_for_KB4058702~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.188.1.0"
>
> See if it is listed.
>
>    Paul

Thanks Paul, Nope, KB5003214 is not showing up anywhere, With so many
people complaining surely Microsoft will eventually put out a Patch
patch.:-)
It's not a big problem so I can wait.

Rene

Re: 21H1

<sa1ibb$6qg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46104&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46104

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:56:58 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 05:56 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>  According to Tenforums, Seeing as this notification bull crap was a new
> feature installed with KB5003214 and I am suffering from it as many others
> and a fix for it is to uninstall that KB update, The problem is that I
> don't seem to have that one in , uninstall updates, can it be hiding
> somewhere else?
>
> Rene

Hi, Rene.
Not sure if this applies in your case...

KB5003214 was the May 'Preview' cumulative update
KB5003637 the June 8th Cumulative Update included the bits in KB5003214

i.e. if KB5003637 was installed KB5003214 won't be found as an item to
uninstall.

I suspect the Tenforums article referencing KB5003214 was written before
the June 8th update thus the May KB number while valid at the time, is no
longer applicable.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: 21H1

<iik1ldFpn8iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46131&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46131

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:20:13 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 15:20 UTC

On 2021-06-12 12:56 a.m., ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>
>>   According to Tenforums, Seeing as this notification bull crap was a
>> new feature installed with KB5003214 and I am suffering from it as
>> many others and a fix for it is to uninstall that KB update, The
>> problem is that I don't seem to have that one in , uninstall updates,
>> can it be hiding somewhere else?
>>
>> Rene
>>
> Hi, Rene.
> Not sure if this applies in your case...
>
> KB5003214 was the May 'Preview' cumulative update
> KB5003637 the June 8th Cumulative Update included the bits in KB5003214
>
> i.e. if KB5003637 was installed KB5003214 won't be found as an item to
> uninstall.
>
> I suspect the Tenforums article referencing KB5003214 was written before
> the June 8th update thus the May KB number while valid at the time, is
> no longer applicable.

Thanks for the explanation ...wi, Yes, I do havveKB5003637 so now I
will try working on that one.

Rene

Re: 21H1

<sa2u8c$7be$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46147&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46147

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 14:26:18 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:26 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-12 12:56 a.m., ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>>
>>>   According to Tenforums, Seeing as this notification bull crap was a
>>> new feature installed with KB5003214 and I am suffering from it as many
>>> others and a fix for it is to uninstall that KB update, The problem is
>>> that I don't seem to have that one in , uninstall updates, can it be
>>> hiding somewhere else?
>>>
>>> Rene
>>>
>> Hi, Rene.
>> Not sure if this applies in your case...
>>
>> KB5003214 was the May 'Preview' cumulative update
>> KB5003637 the June 8th Cumulative Update included the bits in KB5003214
>>
>> i.e. if KB5003637 was installed KB5003214 won't be found as an item to
>> uninstall.
>>
>> I suspect the Tenforums article referencing KB5003214 was written before
>> the June 8th update thus the May KB number while valid at the time, is
>> no longer applicable.
>>

> Thanks for the explanation  ...wi, Yes, I do havveKB5003637 so now I will
> try working on that one.
>
>   Rene

You're welcome.
I noticed, well I guess I'd call it an anomaly.
Two devices both running W10 Pro and fully updated Win10.
Both previously installed the the May Preview and the subsequent June 8th
update.
The one device I looked at prior to my earlier reply did not show
KB5003214 as an item for uninstall in (Control Panel/Programs
Features/View Installed Updates).
The other device had both items in the CP/P&F/View Installed updates)
- which apparently indicates there may be some variation across
different devices on how Win10 treats an earlier installed preview update.
(lol...with the amount of systems using Win10 that variation could be
more normal than rare)

Good luck...and note it may be necessary to use the DISM command to remove
the LCU(latest cumulative update 5003637)since the LCU included the
Servicing Stack Update(SSU) which can't be removed/uninstalled.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: 21H1

<iil57pF1ovnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46166&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46166

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 20:27:20 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 01:27 UTC

On 2021-06-12 1:26 p.m., ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> Hi, Rene.
>>> Not sure if this applies in your case...
>>>
>>> KB5003214 was the May 'Preview' cumulative update
>>> KB5003637 the June 8th Cumulative Update included the bits in KB5003214
>>>
>>> i.e. if KB5003637 was installed KB5003214 won't be found as an item
>>> to uninstall.
>>>
>>> I suspect the Tenforums article referencing KB5003214 was written
>>> before the June 8th update thus the May KB number while valid at the
>>> time, is no longer applicable.
>>>

>> Thanks for the explanation  ...wi, Yes, I do havveKB5003637 so now I
>> will try working on that one.
>>
>>    Rene
>>

> You're welcome.
> I noticed, well I guess I'd call it an anomaly.
> Two devices both running W10 Pro and fully updated Win10.
> Both previously installed the the May Preview and the subsequent June
> 8th update.
>  The one device I looked at prior to my earlier reply did not show
> KB5003214 as an item for uninstall in (Control Panel/Programs
> Features/View Installed Updates).
>  The other device had both items in the CP/P&F/View Installed updates)
>   - which apparently indicates there may be some variation across
> different devices on how Win10 treats an earlier installed preview update.
>  (lol...with the amount of systems using Win10 that variation could be
> more normal than rare)
>
> Good luck...and note it may be necessary to use the DISM command to
> remove the LCU(latest cumulative update 5003637)since the LCU included
> the Servicing Stack Update(SSU) which can't be removed/uninstalled.

OK, Uninstalled kb5003637 and shut the system down, then did a cold boot
at which time Windows did some updating or installed something cause I
had to answer some more setup questions. Looked again in update file
history and sure enough kb5003637 was back.
But now the notification area came back on normally and news and
interests is working properly.
So I have done 4 warm and cold boots and everything is working as it
should, Hallelujah :-)

Rene

Re: 21H1

<sa4phm$59p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46175&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46175

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 07:18:12 -0400
 by: knuttle - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 11:18 UTC

On 6/12/2021 9:27 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-06-12 1:26 p.m., ...w¡ñ§±¤n wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> Thanks for the explanation  ...wi, Yes, I do havveKB5003637 so now I
>>> will try working on that one.
>>>
>>>    Rene
>>>

>> You're welcome.
>> I noticed, well I guess I'd call it an anomaly.
>> Two devices both running W10 Pro and fully updated Win10.
>> Both previously installed the the May Preview and the subsequent June
>> 8th update.
>>   The one device I looked at prior to my earlier reply did not show
>> KB5003214 as an item for uninstall in (Control Panel/Programs
>> Features/View Installed Updates).
>>   The other device had both items in the CP/P&F/View Installed updates)
>>    - which apparently indicates there may be some variation across
>> different devices on how Win10 treats an earlier installed preview
>> update.
>>   (lol...with the amount of systems using Win10 that variation could
>> be more normal than rare)
>>
>> Good luck...and note it may be necessary to use the DISM command to
>> remove the LCU(latest cumulative update 5003637)since the LCU included
>> the Servicing Stack Update(SSU) which can't be removed/uninstalled.
>>

> OK, Uninstalled kb5003637 and shut the system down, then did a cold boot
> at which time Windows did some updating or installed something cause I
> had to answer some more setup questions. Looked again in update file
> history and sure enough kb5003637 was back.
> But now the notification area came back on normally and news and
> interests is working properly.
> So I have done 4 warm and cold boots and everything is working as it
> should, Hallelujah :-)
>
> Rene

To me it seems that 21h1 is different that previous updates. The
"21h1" update went quickly. However unlike previous updates, it seems
like everytime I turn the computer on there is anouther update to
install. Some have required rebooting. There have been 8 updates
applied since I installed 21h1 on the 19th of May. 2 quality updates, 4
driver updates, and 2 other updates

Based on my experience, I wonder if since you are updating late, if the
update was applied, and the next update was downloaded. Then you had to
reboot to apply the next update. To you it could nave looked like you
had to restart several time to ge the original update instatlled properly

Re: 21H1

<iimlhmFal5hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46185&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46185

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:11:50 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 15:11 UTC

On 2021-06-13 6:18 a.m., knuttle wrote:

> On 6/12/2021 9:27 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> You're welcome.
>>> I noticed, well I guess I'd call it an anomaly.
>>> Two devices both running W10 Pro and fully updated Win10.
>>> Both previously installed the the May Preview and the subsequent June
>>> 8th update.
>>>   The one device I looked at prior to my earlier reply did not show
>>> KB5003214 as an item for uninstall in (Control Panel/Programs
>>> Features/View Installed Updates).
>>>   The other device had both items in the CP/P&F/View Installed updates)
>>>    - which apparently indicates there may be some variation across
>>> different devices on how Win10 treats an earlier installed preview
>>> update.
>>>   (lol...with the amount of systems using Win10 that variation could
>>> be more normal than rare)
>>>
>>> Good luck...and note it may be necessary to use the DISM command to
>>> remove the LCU(latest cumulative update 5003637)since the LCU
>>> included the Servicing Stack Update(SSU) which can't be
>>> removed/uninstalled.
>>>

>> OK, Uninstalled kb5003637 and shut the system down, then did a cold
>> boot at which time Windows did some updating or installed something
>> cause I had to answer some more setup questions. Looked again in
>> update file history and sure enough kb5003637 was back.
>> But now the notification area came back on normally and news and
>> interests is working properly.
>> So I have done 4 warm and cold boots and everything is working as it
>> should, Hallelujah :-)
>>
>> Rene
>>

> To me it seems that 21h1 is different that previous updates.   The
> "21h1" update went quickly.  However unlike previous updates, it seems
> like everytime I turn the computer on there is anouther update to
> install.  Some have required rebooting.   There have been 8 updates
> applied since I installed 21h1 on the 19th of May.  2 quality updates, 4
> driver updates, and 2 other updates
>

> Based on my experience, I wonder if since you are updating late, if the
> update was applied, and the next update was downloaded.  Then you had to
> reboot to apply the next update.  To you it could nave looked like you
> had to restart several time to ge the original update instatlled properly

Yes I have had a few strange updates lately and had some asking for
reboot, had one Friday but I don't see it in File history, I think
Microsoft is playing genes behind our back.

Rene