The Wright Bothers weren't the first to fly. They were just the first not to crash.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.

SubjectAuthor
* Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.micky
+* Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.Paul
|`* Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.micky
| `- Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.VanguardLH
`* Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.VanguardLH
 `- Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.micky

1
Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.

<jsiibgh56p8b4dc5tu8gnkb8c12fn19ip0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45571&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45571

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:53:20 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 01:53 UTC

Am I likely to want to reuse the PC case I bought 20 years ago?

It has room for all kinds of internal and external drives, but, for
example, will the power supply be too small for today's memory. (I
apologize for not checking what it says on the PSU. I can't do that
right now.) Or will the holes for mounting the mobo no longer be any
good?

I found a place that says it will reccycle even my CRT tvs! and I'm
going through the house. I've found 7 tvs, 7 computers, including 3
laptops, 7 monitors, including 1 LCD, a color inkject printer, a
microwave (and 2 more microwavves), and some small stuff.

On one PC, the prior owner wrote 32Megs RAM !!

I have no trouble giving away things that are broken or I never used,
but there are still 2 computers I used for years. I'm having trouble
getting rid of them. :-( (And I still have two others to fix up at
least one spare, when I have the time)

Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.

<s9c2v3$4ll$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45573&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45573

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 22:25:38 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 02:25 UTC

micky wrote:
> Am I likely to want to reuse the PC case I bought 20 years ago?

My oldest case is still in usage.

But not all old cases are winners.

They're certainly made of robust metals.

And stuff still fits, because there are
a few standards that still work. The PSU
four holes are still the same.

I don't like my cases that have small fans
in them. The larger fans provide airflow and
allow some speed adjustment for less annoying
levels of noise.

Sooner or later, you have to ditch that stuff.

Paul

Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.

<k4dw3w143ixs.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45576&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45576

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 00:40:49 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 05:40 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> Am I likely to want to reuse the PC case I bought 20 years ago?
>
> It has room for all kinds of internal and external drives, but, for
> example, will the power supply be too small for today's memory. (I
> apologize for not checking what it says on the PSU. I can't do that
> right now.) Or will the holes for mounting the mobo no longer be any
> good?
>
> I found a place that says it will reccycle even my CRT tvs! and I'm
> going through the house. I've found 7 tvs, 7 computers, including 3
> laptops, 7 monitors, including 1 LCD, a color inkject printer, a
> microwave (and 2 more microwavves), and some small stuff.
>
> On one PC, the prior owner wrote 32Megs RAM !!
>
> I have no trouble giving away things that are broken or I never used,
> but there are still 2 computers I used for years. I'm having trouble
> getting rid of them. :-( (And I still have two others to fix up at
> least one spare, when I have the time)

Probably, but you'll need to swap out the PSU from an AT model to an ATX
model. ATX has soft-logic control provided by the mobo, plus the new
mobo will have a 24-pin PSU connector to match using an ATX PSU (not the
20-pin connector for AT that use a hard-wired Power switch).

If you cannot donate them or sell them off (even for free) at, say,
Craigslist, you'll have to take them to the hazardous waste disposal
facility due to the lead in the solder.

Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.

<ve2kbgpmr2r6sm6evg3j2suvp46hltmlug@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45592&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45592

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:11:53 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 11:11 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 03 Jun 2021 22:25:38 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> Am I likely to want to reuse the PC case I bought 20 years ago?
>>
>My oldest case is still in usage.
>
>But not all old cases are winners.
>
>They're certainly made of robust metals.
>
>And stuff still fits, because there are
>a few standards that still work. The PSU
>four holes are still the same.
>
>I don't like my cases that have small fans
>in them. The larger fans provide airflow and
>allow some speed adjustment for less annoying
>levels of noise.

Small problems. I'll save it.

>Sooner or later, you have to ditch that stuff.

I was hoping the guy who flips my house after I die will take care of
all that stuff.

> Paul

Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.

<0k2kbg9ac9toarlog0v8qvusfe186s5l9q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45593&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45593

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 07:15:51 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 11:15 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 4 Jun 2021 00:40:49 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Am I likely to want to reuse the PC case I bought 20 years ago?
>>
>> It has room for all kinds of internal and external drives, but, for
>> example, will the power supply be too small for today's memory. (I
>> apologize for not checking what it says on the PSU. I can't do that
>> right now.) Or will the holes for mounting the mobo no longer be any
>> good?
>>
>> I found a place that says it will reccycle even my CRT tvs! and I'm
>> going through the house. I've found 7 tvs, 7 computers, including 3
>> laptops, 7 monitors, including 1 LCD, a color inkject printer, a
>> microwave (and 2 more microwavves), and some small stuff.

I think I meant to say 2 or 3 monitors, not 7.

For now. I have to go thruogh the house some more
>> On one PC, the prior owner wrote 32Megs RAM !!
>>
>> I have no trouble giving away things that are broken or I never used,
>> but there are still 2 computers I used for years. I'm having trouble
>> getting rid of them. :-( (And I still have two others to fix up at
>> least one spare, when I have the time)
>
>Probably, but you'll need to swap out the PSU from an AT model to an ATX
>model. ATX has soft-logic control provided by the mobo, plus the new
>mobo will have a 24-pin PSU connector to match using an ATX PSU (not the
>20-pin connector for AT that use a hard-wired Power switch).

Very important. I'll remember this.

>If you cannot donate them or sell them off (even for free) at, say,
>Craigslist, you'll have to take them to the hazardous waste disposal
>facility due to the lead in the solder.

Ah ha. Okay.

Re: Can I reuse a PC case from 20 years ago.

<16kuigndbovtg$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45636&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#45636

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 15:17:59 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 20:17 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I was hoping the guy who flips my house after I die will take care of
> all that stuff.

Got no family left? To eliminate probate court (whether you leave a
will or not), change title to add a TODD (Transfer on Death Deed) to
identify who gets your house after you die. No need for probate court
or lawyers. Whoever gets your house just needs a death certificate and
pay for the title register to change the house into their name (but at
the same time they could add a TODD to the new title to provide easy
transfer to whoever they want to leave the house). Did that on my
house, and even on my car (not all states do it on cars). If I had a
boat, I'd do it on that, too. Anything (in my state) that has a title
can have its title amended to add a TODD condition. The cost is
whatever it is for filing a title with the county registrar. When you
get the new title doc, it should have "TOD" added and the inheritor's
name.

That doesn't mean they must take ownership. My house is paid, as is my
car. The new owner doesn't have any mortgages against them. If you're
still within the first 20 years of a 30 year mortgage, where mostly what
you've paid is interest instead of on principal, an inheritor who takes
ownership by TODD also inherits mortgages, property tax, and so on.
TODD makes it easy to inherit, but it isn't a forced inheritance.