Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: USB-Connected Printer in Tray

SubjectAuthor
* USB-Connected Printer in Traycroy
+* Re: USB-Connected Printer in TrayDavid E. Ross
|`- Re: USB-Connected Printer in Traycroy
`* Re: USB-Connected Printer in TrayVanguardLH
 `* Re: USB-Connected Printer in Traycroy
  `- Re: USB-Connected Printer in TrayVanguardLH

1
USB-Connected Printer in Tray

<vv1udhh1rmu76doul4tud3p09334gpppdr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4558&group=alt.windows7.general#4558

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: USB-Connected Printer in Tray
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:21:24 -0700
 by: croy - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 21:21 UTC

My new printer is connected via USB, and, unlike my old printer which was also connected via
USB, it's showing up in the tray as if it's something that should/could be ejected. Is there a
way to change this?

--
croy

Re: USB-Connected Printer in Tray

<tbnaqh$92q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4562&group=alt.windows7.general#4562

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: USB-Connected Printer in Tray
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:00:16 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 00:00 UTC

On 7/25/2022 2:21 PM, croy wrote:
> My new printer is connected via USB, and, unlike my old printer which was also connected via
> USB, it's showing up in the tray as if it's something that should/could be ejected. Is there a
> way to change this?

When you left-click or right-click on the icon, do you see a specific
menu item to eject it?

My printer is also connected via USB. It acted strange until I plugged
it into a USB-2 outlet instead of a USB-3 outlet. Its icon is in the
tray on my PC.

If my printer is powered on and I left-click twice on the tray icon, I
get a status and alerts window. If right-click once on the tray icon
whether or not the printer is powered on, I get a popup context menu
that does not have an eject option.

What is your new printer? Mine is Hewlett Packard LaserJet Pro 200
Color.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: USB-Connected Printer in Tray

<kofudhdr85r9ser3b2udia0c0brss5c76i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4564&group=alt.windows7.general#4564

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 18:14:10 -0700
 by: croy - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 01:14 UTC

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:00:16 -0700, "David E. Ross" <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/25/2022 2:21 PM, croy wrote:
>> My new printer is connected via USB, and, unlike my old printer which was also connected via
>> USB, it's showing up in the tray as if it's something that should/could be ejected. Is there a
>> way to change this?

>When you left-click or right-click on the icon, do you see a specific
>menu item to eject it?

Yes. It offers two items: "Open Divices and Printers", or "Eject Epson ET-2800 Series".

>My printer is also connected via USB. It acted strange until I plugged
>it into a USB-2 outlet instead of a USB-3 outlet. Its icon is in the
>tray on my PC.

Mine is plugged into a USB-2 outlet.

>If my printer is powered on and I left-click twice on the tray icon, I
>get a status and alerts window. If right-click once on the tray icon
>whether or not the printer is powered on, I get a popup context menu
>that does not have an eject option.

I get the same either way (see above).

>What is your new printer? Mine is Hewlett Packard LaserJet Pro 200
>Color.

Epson ET-2803.

--
croy

Re: USB-Connected Printer in Tray

<6jgcgzmot0ck$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4565&group=alt.windows7.general#4565

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 20:35:00 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 01:35 UTC

croy <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:

> My new printer is connected via USB, and, unlike my old printer which
> was also connected via USB, it's showing up in the tray as if it's
> something that should/could be ejected. Is there a way to change
> this?

Some printers have a USB port. Not so much for connecting any USB
device, like to a hub, but to plug-in a USB flash drive with docs or
photos that you can then select using the printer's menu to print them.
Akin to the old days of sneakernet using floppies. You didn't mention
brand and model, so no one but you knows what printer you have.

Did you yet install the drivers and/or ancilliary software for the
printer? Without the driver, the presentation data exchanged during the
USB handshaking may mistake the printer as a generic or mass storage
device. The Epson ET-2803 came out in Oct 2021, but Windows 7 was
released back in Jul 2009. Windows 7 may not have an included driver
for that printer.

Update:
In your reply to Ross, you mentioned your printer is an Epson ET-2803.
Its manual doesn't mention or show a USB data port as described above.

Do you have both wi-fi and USB port enabled on the printer? If so, and
if you're only using the USB connection, disable the wi-fi radio.

Is the printer connected directly to a USB port in your computer, or
through a USB hub (or through a chain of USB hubs)?

Re: USB-Connected Printer in Tray

<3tmudh9ttetg3lafeesdll0eak8g2oi65f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4568&group=alt.windows7.general#4568

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 20:13:53 -0700
 by: croy - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 03:13 UTC

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 20:35:00 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>croy <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> My new printer is connected via USB, and, unlike my old printer which
>> was also connected via USB, it's showing up in the tray as if it's
>> something that should/could be ejected. Is there a way to change
>> this?
>
>Some printers have a USB port. Not so much for connecting any USB
>device, like to a hub, but to plug-in a USB flash drive with docs or
>photos that you can then select using the printer's menu to print them.
>Akin to the old days of sneakernet using floppies. You didn't mention
>brand and model, so no one but you knows what printer you have.
>
>Did you yet install the drivers and/or ancilliary software for the
>printer? Without the driver, the presentation data exchanged during the
>USB handshaking may mistake the printer as a generic or mass storage
>device. The Epson ET-2803 came out in Oct 2021, but Windows 7 was
>released back in Jul 2009. Windows 7 may not have an included driver
>for that printer.
>
>Update:
>In your reply to Ross, you mentioned your printer is an Epson ET-2803.
>Its manual doesn't mention or show a USB data port as described above.

Yes, it does.

>Do you have both wi-fi and USB port enabled on the printer? If so, and
>if you're only using the USB connection, disable the wi-fi radio.

Only USB.

>Is the printer connected directly to a USB port in your computer, or
>through a USB hub (or through a chain of USB hubs)?

Directly.

--
croy

Re: USB-Connected Printer in Tray

<1p3qefhmud5iw$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4571&group=alt.windows7.general#4571

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 04:51:15 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 09:51 UTC

croy <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> In your reply to Ross, you mentioned your printer is an Epson
>> ET-2803. Its manual doesn't mention or show a USB data port as
>> described above.
>
> Yes, it does.

That would be the extra USB drive that you see. The printer has its own
USB hub, but just one USB port and likely only for data (files you put
on the USB flash drive to have the printer print out directly from the
USB data port). I didn't see the manual said how to disable the USB
data port, but then I also didn't see the manual mention a USB data
port. My printer has one, no means to disable it (I never have used
it), so I just get used to the extra USB drive shown in File Explorer.
I assigned it a drive letter that is out of the way of the other USB
port assignments, so there's room to add more USB drives without having
to jump around the one for the printer's USB data port.

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd6/cpd60271.pdf
That does not mention a USB data port, just the USB port to connect the
printer to the computer.

>> Do you have both wi-fi and USB port enabled on the printer? If so,
>> and if you're only using the USB connection, disable the wi-fi
>> radio.
>
> Only USB.

Then visit page 49 of the manual to disable wi-fi. No reason to leave
your printer susceptible to wi-fi access if you won't be accessing it
that way.