From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Subject: Problem with very long headers
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 11:41:51 +0200
 by: Piet - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 09:41 UTC

Every now and then the body of a received message is partly or completely
mangled. The symptoms are always the same:
- the message has been "handled" by M$-Exchange
- the header is ridiculously long: I've seen 8 kB and more than 11 kB
(the "x-ms-exchange-antispam-messagedata-0:" is already about 2 kB)

Given that this combination is consistent, I suppose that:
- Eudora has a static array allocated for the header
- the ridiculous length of the header causes an unchecked array bound
overflow, resulting in the body getting mangled

Does anyone has a solution or workaround for this? Patching the binary
doesn't look like a feasible option.

-p

Re: Problem with very long headers

<f9ff6e61-ad71-4003-89b8-d0d790f603f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=459&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#459

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 07:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Problem with very long headers
From: dav...@sky.com (DaveH2)
 by: DaveH2 - Thu, 23 Jun 2022 14:17 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 June 2022 at 10:41:53 UTC+1, Piet wrote:
> Every now and then the body of a received message is partly or completely
> mangled. The symptoms are always the same:
> - the message has been "handled" by M$-Exchange
> - the header is ridiculously long: I've seen 8 kB and more than 11 kB
> (the "x-ms-exchange-antispam-messagedata-0:" is already about 2 kB)
>
> Given that this combination is consistent, I suppose that:
> - Eudora has a static array allocated for the header
> - the ridiculous length of the header causes an unchecked array bound
> overflow, resulting in the body getting mangled
>
> Does anyone has a solution or workaround for this? Patching the binary
> doesn't look like a feasible option.
>
> -p

If it's just a display problem, you could try hiding all but the most basic headers.
The 'TabooHeaders' entry in eudora.ini will do that.

Mine is -
TabooHeaders=X-,XData,Auto-,Received,ENVID,User-Agent,Status,Message,In-Reply,Importance,Mime-,Organization,Content-,Thread-,List-,Resent-Message,References,Return,X400,Mail-System,Errors-To,Delivery,Disposition,Precedence,Authentication-Results,DKIM-Signature,DomainKey-Signature,ARC-,x_spam_cmae,MSIP_Label

Try copying and pasting that into your eudora.ini file (with Eudora closed) in place of the original TabooHeaders entry and see if it helps.
Backup eudora.ini first just in case!
You can always see all the headers again if you want to by clicking the 'Blah Blah Blah' button at the top of a received message.
HTH. Cheers, Dave.