From: nos...@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Windows Terminal app running on Win11 says I'm running "Microsoft
Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 01:36:59 -0400
 by: DFS - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 05:36 UTC

I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it from the Windows Store, but it
still shows that old version.

Must be compiled in (in their infinite wisdom).

Any ideas?

Re: Windows Terminal app running on Win11 says I'm running "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"

<heqq56w1gefp.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4588&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4588

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Windows Terminal app running on Win11 says I'm running "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 04:50:24 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:50 UTC

Windows 10.0.22631.3296
^^^^^___ build number

Windows 10 builds: 10xxx to 19xxx
Windows 11 builds: 22xxx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

Not sure why you want a different GUI than the console that opens for
cmd.exe. You really need multiple tabs opened inside the same window
for multiple shells instead of multiple windows for multiple shells?

Open the console for cmd.exe. What do you see for version there? The
'ver' command reports the build number.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000193571/windows-11-incorrect-os-version-reported

If you don't want 'ver' to report by build number, and instead report
based on a table of builds to differentiate by major version number,
submit a ticket at:

https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues

MS Terminal app is open source hence hosted at GitHub.

Re: Windows Terminal app running on Win11 says I'm running "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"

<uthedm$287r4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4589&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4589

From: nos...@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:58:14 -0400
 by: DFS - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:58 UTC

On 3/21/2024 5:50 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Windows 10.0.22631.3296
> ^^^^^___ build number
>
> Windows 10 builds: 10xxx to 19xxx
> Windows 11 builds: 22xxx
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

Another bit of Microsoft genius.

> Not sure why you want a different GUI than the console that opens for
> cmd.exe. You really need multiple tabs opened inside the same window
> for multiple shells instead of multiple windows for multiple shells?

Why would I want one window with 4 tabs instead of 4 windows with 1 tab?

Seriously?

> Open the console for cmd.exe. What do you see for version there? The
> 'ver' command reports the build number.

same thing: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]

> https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000193571/windows-11-incorrect-os-version-reported
>
> If you don't want 'ver' to report by build number, and instead report
> based on a table of builds to differentiate by major version number,
> submit a ticket at:
>
> https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues
>
> MS Terminal app is open source hence hosted at GitHub.

Thanks.

Re: Windows Terminal app running on Win11 says I'm running "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"

<sk5qbbc513gc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4592&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4592

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:43:06 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:43 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Not sure why you want a different GUI than the console that opens for
>> cmd.exe. You really need multiple tabs opened inside the same window
>> for multiple shells instead of multiple windows for multiple shells?
>
> Why would I want one window with 4 tabs instead of 4 windows with 1 tab?
> Seriously?

I don't see a lot of complaints about a command shell that has been
around for decades yet you want to suffer a 4-year GUI for the same
shell that has lots of bug tickets (78 closed and 32 new in the last
month). Users have complained they sometimes get "cannot find wt.exe"
error, or the window never appears. If this app were the be-all shell
manager, why isn't it the default for all of them? The command shells
comes with the OS for as many devices on which you have any version of
Windows installed. This app has a maximum of 10 Windows devices for
licensing. Easy to create a shortcut anywhere using the executable
(cmd.exe). Do you know this app's AppID to create a shortcut for it, so
you don't need to manipulate an existing shortcut to copy it? What
command would you enter to define it as a startup program? It is a UWP
(Universal Windows Platform) app, not a Win32 program (which also covers
64-bit programs). You cannot mix admin and non-admin tabs within a
Terminal instance. You'll have to open separate Terminals.

Perhaps you use it simply because it came bundled with Windows 11: it's
there, so use it. It's just a wrapper to change window management into
tab management. The tabbed shells are still running in their own
console (conhost.exe). The GUI adds nothing to what the shell can do.
At least Notepad++ adds editing features not in Notepad.

Up to you if you want to manage shells in tabs inside 1 window instead
of you managing the windows.

Re: Windows Terminal app running on Win11 says I'm running "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"

<uthngk$2agie$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4595

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 12:33:23 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:33 UTC

On 3/21/2024 10:43 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure why you want a different GUI than the console that opens for
>>> cmd.exe. You really need multiple tabs opened inside the same window
>>> for multiple shells instead of multiple windows for multiple shells?
>>
>> Why would I want one window with 4 tabs instead of 4 windows with 1 tab?
>> Seriously?
>
> I don't see a lot of complaints about a command shell that has been
> around for decades yet you want to suffer a 4-year GUI for the same
> shell that has lots of bug tickets (78 closed and 32 new in the last
> month). Users have complained they sometimes get "cannot find wt.exe"
> error, or the window never appears. If this app were the be-all shell
> manager, why isn't it the default for all of them? The command shells
> comes with the OS for as many devices on which you have any version of
> Windows installed. This app has a maximum of 10 Windows devices for
> licensing. Easy to create a shortcut anywhere using the executable
> (cmd.exe). Do you know this app's AppID to create a shortcut for it, so
> you don't need to manipulate an existing shortcut to copy it? What
> command would you enter to define it as a startup program? It is a UWP
> (Universal Windows Platform) app, not a Win32 program (which also covers
> 64-bit programs). You cannot mix admin and non-admin tabs within a
> Terminal instance. You'll have to open separate Terminals.
>
> Perhaps you use it simply because it came bundled with Windows 11: it's
> there, so use it. It's just a wrapper to change window management into
> tab management. The tabbed shells are still running in their own
> console (conhost.exe). The GUI adds nothing to what the shell can do.
> At least Notepad++ adds editing features not in Notepad.
>
> Up to you if you want to manage shells in tabs inside 1 window instead
> of you managing the windows.

One of the problems with Windows now, is it's pretty hard to determine
if another user "sees the same OS" as you've got. That started with
Windpws 10 having Powershell or CMD.exe as the default, and having a
setting so you could change which one ran be default. Now a Terminal
runs Powershell as the default. And you can still run cmd.exe to change
the parser.

I have a Terminal and Terminal (Admin) in my W11Home right-click Start,
that when started, look for all the world like the so-called "bug ridden"
one. Likely the only reason it had that many bugs filed against it,
is because a hundred million people have looked at it. If it actually
required hand-installation, not as many eyeballs would have been
cast upon it.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/mDFDVYXB/windows11-default-terminal.gif

Now, while I depict three tabs in the example, I don't actually
use it that way. I've never loaded more than one tab, and just
open separate copies of it as I need them. Both kinds of usage
are possible without a fuss.

Paul

Re: Windows Terminal app running on Win11 says I'm running "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.3296]"

<1ixawhzcuglrl.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4607&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4607

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:33:14 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:33 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Up to you if you want to manage shells in tabs inside 1 window instead
>> of you managing the windows.
>>

> One of the problems with Windows now, is it's pretty hard to determine
> if another user "sees the same OS" as you've got. That started with
> Windpws 10 having Powershell or CMD.exe as the default, and having a
> setting so you could change which one ran be default. Now a Terminal
> runs Powershell as the default. And you can still run cmd.exe to change
> the parser.
>
> I have a Terminal and Terminal (Admin) in my W11Home right-click Start,
> that when started, look for all the world like the so-called "bug ridden"
> one. Likely the only reason it had that many bugs filed against it,
> is because a hundred million people have looked at it. If it actually
> required hand-installation, not as many eyeballs would have been
> cast upon it.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/mDFDVYXB/windows11-default-terminal.gif
>
> Now, while I depict three tabs in the example, I don't actually
> use it that way. I've never loaded more than one tab, and just
> open separate copies of it as I need them. Both kinds of usage
> are possible without a fuss.

Seems it is just a windowed GUI to tab the shell consoles instead of
having separate windows for each shell. I saw mention of changing
fonts, and colors, but you can do that in the command (cmd.exe) and PS
console windows, too. I changed the default layout for screen buffer to
132 characters wide to 3000 lines long, but with a 100 x 50 scrollable
"window" to show any stdout. There are a lot of settings for the
console, but few users every click on the title bar for the console
window to select Properties to see all those settings.

Not sure, but seems the Windows Terminal app is part UWP app and part
Win32 program. The app has its own AppID (you'll need when creating
shortcuts, so copying from the shell:appsfolder is easy enough), but the
complaints about errors or the app window never appearing deal with the
wt.exe file. Can you run wt.exe without first loading the front-end UWP
app? wt.exe also takes command-line arguments, so it seems likely to be
a program than an app.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/terminal/command-line-arguments?tabs=windows