From: Aol...@Aoli.com (Aoli)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Macrium Reflect Free Image
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:39:18 -0700
 by: Aoli - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 21:39 UTC

Pristine Win 7 Pro laptop.

Macrium Reflect Free (MRF) on a USB drive.

256G SD installed and seen on WE when booted to Win 7 Pro.
SD is to receive the Image backup. SD is a fast one, ideal for backing
up to.

Boot to USB and MRF loads from USB.

Allows selection of Main Drive partitions to Image.

Network driver not loaded since it does not automatically find the .INF
file.
Searching for the .INF fails.

Try to setup for backup and the SD is not available !
What is up with that ?

Any way to get the SD to show up ?
All other drives show up including the USB drive with MRF on it but this
USB drive is not large enough to hold the Image.

I do not want to add anything to the pristine laptop unless absolutely
necessary.

Suggestion please.

Re: Macrium Reflect Free Image

<tbi1fv$6ctt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4535&group=alt.windows7.general#4535

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Macrium Reflect Free Image
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 19:50:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 23:50 UTC

On 7/23/2022 5:39 PM, Aoli wrote:
> Pristine Win 7 Pro laptop.
>
> Macrium Reflect Free (MRF) on a USB drive.
>
> 256G SD installed and seen on WE when booted to Win 7 Pro.
> SD is to receive the Image backup.  SD is a fast one, ideal for backing up to.
>
> Boot to USB and MRF loads from USB.
>
> Allows selection of Main Drive partitions to Image.
>
> Network driver not loaded since it does not automatically find the .INF file.
> Searching for the .INF fails.
>
> Try to setup for backup and the SD is not available !
> What is up with that ?
>
> Any way to get the SD to show up ?
> All other drives show up including the USB drive with MRF on it but this USB drive is not large enough to hold the Image.
>
> I do not want to add anything to the pristine laptop unless absolutely necessary.
>
> Suggestion please.

You'll be making the media on your existing well-worn laptop.

The network chip could be quite different (on the new laptop),
than the network chip on the laptop doing media preparation.

You may have to add an INF style driver suited to operation
of the new laptop.

However, if you select WinPE5 or WinPE10, there is a good chance
the driver will be in there. After all, if you can install Windows 10
on any old machine, and the machine *ALWAYS* manages to dial out
and make contact with the mothership, that means the WinPE has a
wide selection of drivers.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/ydbjrcwH/macrium7-making-media.gif

Only using the WinRE option, might be limiting to some extent.
Depending on what OS it corresponds to (like Windows 7 instead
of the wider driver set of Win8/Win10 and their WinPE images).

The "Add drivers" process used to be explicit, but is not
in the interface any more.

https://forum.macrium.com/PrintTopic27066.aspx

"I was having a hard time finding how to add drivers manually until
I found this thread (easy once you know how). I added the RCRAID
folder from the drivers I used during Windows install to the
disk drivers area on the Macrium c:\boot directories. Rebuilt the
Rescue Media to a USB stick, and gave it a try. My RAID volumes
all show as expected, and I was able to copy a drive image of my
system volume over to my data volume."

"In the meantime, if you have a driver package for the built-in
card reader, you can try manually copying the driver to
C:\Boot\Macrium\Drivers\Disk\[New folder named whatever you want]
so that it gets included in future Rescue Media builds, or if you're
using a Rescue Media flash drive, for faster testing purposes could
copy it straight to \Drivers\Disk on the Rescue Media."

SD media interface, can be hosted by more than one chip type.
Most users are used to it being on the USB bus ("card reader"),
but it's also possible for a certain quad-role chip to be on the PCI bus or so.

to be necessary. You can see in the sample thread, that
someone tried to do an NVMe RAID, which is well outside the
purview of default Macrium support. Any custom RAID cards,
like that PERC you bought in 2003, could mean trouble. And
only then do you start fiddling with the custom driver folder
and say, an INF style driver.

You can pretend it's hard to get the function you need, but
it is probably not all that hard. The RCRAID guy was going out
of his way to bust stuff, but at least it was educational to see
the entire driver stack did not get picked up as expected.

Paul

Re: Macrium Reflect Free Image

<t97spuiqm8tg$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4536&group=alt.windows7.general#4536

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 19:00:45 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 00:00 UTC

Aoli <Aoli@Aoli.com> wrote:

> Pristine Win 7 Pro laptop.
>
> Macrium Reflect Free (MRF) on a USB drive.
>
> 256G SD installed and seen on WE when booted to Win 7 Pro.
> SD is to receive the Image backup. SD is a fast one, ideal for backing
> up to.
>
> Boot to USB and MRF loads from USB.
>
> Allows selection of Main Drive partitions to Image.
>
> Network driver not loaded since it does not automatically find the .INF
> file.
> Searching for the .INF fails.
>
> Try to setup for backup and the SD is not available !
> What is up with that ?
>
> Any way to get the SD to show up ?
> All other drives show up including the USB drive with MRF on it but this
> USB drive is not large enough to hold the Image.

Macrium Reflect portable is not free (costs $799+). You need to get the
Technician edition to make a portable image. Does the 14-day trial let
you generate the portable image on a USB drive?

https://www.macrium.com/products/business/technicians/enterprise?ref=EBh3DkEOZPedl5C2uTVg633GqWPT1xEYZwgxYuky9fE=&type=b&edition=10" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.macrium.com/products/business/technicians/enterprise?ref=EBh3DkEOZPedl5C2uTVg633GqWPT1xEYZwgxYuky9fE=&type=b&edition=10
https://www.macrium.com/products/business/technicians

There is a 14-day trial; however, as I recall, you had to install the
full license on the computer, and then use that to create the USB image.
Once the licensed version is installed, you can use it to create an
unlimited USB copies, but the license requires it be used within the
same enterprise, not by you making a copy at work and toting it home
which is outside the license.

https://www.macrium.com/techie-tuesday-technicians-portable-application-support-765639f12755
The "Add drivers to technician's rescue media failed?

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Updating+rescue+media+to+include+additional+hardware+drivers

What if you browse to the .inf file, and select it? The properties for
the network device in Device Management (devmgmt.msc) will indicate
where is the driver for the device.

Did you format the SD? Does SD mean:
- External SSD (Solid-State Drive) to USB port?
- Or SD (Secure Digital flash card) to a card slot? See
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71Oi92CyW2L._AC_SX450_.jpg.

You sure 256GB will hold the backup image? How large is the
partition(s) you want to include in the backup partition? That is, how
much space has been consumed in total?

Re: Macrium Reflect Free Image

<tbpoc8$6is$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4581&group=alt.windows7.general#4581

From: Aol...@Aoli.com (Aoli)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:03:53 -0700
 by: Aoli - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 22:03 UTC

WinPE10 was available and the booted USB came right into Macrium
Reflect. WinPE11 is there but used WinPE10.
Did not ask for network driver.

However Network saw nothing since I guess the OS was not started and
made initial startup or connected to the LAN.
Was hoping that was in the USB boot process but it is not.
So I had to at least get the OS set up a little.
I used a USB256G flash to take the Image file.
USB256 device drivers loaded.
Ethernet (Home) set up to log into WiFi and set Computer Name, WorkGroup
etc.

So I guess this is minimal setup as possible.

Anyway I did the backup but ...

In macrium it show three partitions but macrium will only Image the Primary.
One of the other has 30G and seems to be a recovers partition maybe.
If I try to image that I only get a 10,000 byte file, tiny.

Re: Macrium Reflect Free Image

<tbpv2k$299lb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4585&group=alt.windows7.general#4585

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:58:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 23:58 UTC

On 7/26/2022 6:03 PM, Aoli wrote:

> WinPE10 was available and the booted USB came right into Macrium Reflect.  WinPE11 is there but used WinPE10.
> Did not ask for network driver.
>
> However Network saw nothing since I guess the OS was not started and made initial startup or connected to the LAN.
> Was hoping that was in the USB boot process but it is not.
> So I had to at least get the OS set up a little.
> I used a USB256G flash to take the Image file.
> USB256 device drivers loaded.
> Ethernet (Home) set up to log into WiFi and set Computer Name, WorkGroup etc.
>
> So I guess this is minimal setup as possible.
>
> Anyway I did the backup but ...
>
> In macrium it show three partitions but macrium will only Image the Primary.
> One of the other has 30G and seems to be a recovers partition maybe.
> If I try to image that I only get a 10,000 byte file, tiny.

Macrium does not normally do that.

I would get out my hex editor and see if the "files" in the
partition were filled with zeros or something.

NTFS partition - Macrium verifies FS is OK, does backup supported/native
EXT4 partition - Macrium verifies FS is OK, does backup supported/foreign
16MB MSR - Macrium copies with "dd" sector by sector unrecognized (has no FS)
LinuxSwap - Macrium copies with "dd" sector by sector unrecognized/foreign

And it should have the logic to do those, without the
user having to switch off "smart backup" in the preferences.

You can go into the preferences for Macrium and turn off smart backup
for the partition in question, and just back it up sector by sector.
With compression off, the size of the restore partition should be
a byte-for-byte match to what Disk Management would show for it.
If it was a 16GB partition, the "dumb backup" Macrium image of
that partition, with compression off, should also be 16GB.

And me telling you that, is better than me teaching you how
to use "dd.exe" :-)

If you slaved up the drive to your existing laptop,
we would be able to get a logfile from Macrium while
it is running. It would appear doing it from the CD,
it keeps no log. And this might be a problem with it
creating a logfile on the X: partition.

Paul