Yow! We're going to a new disco!

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?

SubjectAuthor
* Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?David
+* Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?Andy Burns
|`- Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?David
`* Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?Abandoned Trolley
 `- Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?Abandoned Trolley

1
Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?

<l8a17jF9s5cU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4582&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4582

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?
Date: 17 Apr 2024 13:30:27 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:30 UTC

So far I've always had Pro versions of Windows (7, 8.1, 10).
I have a home network, but no Windows servers or Domains.

Do I need the Pro version or is the Home version fine?

Getting far too excited about new shiny.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?

<l8a2a7Fmf1mU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4583&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4583

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:48:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:48 UTC

David wrote:

> So far I've always had Pro versions of Windows (7, 8.1, 10).
> I have a home network, but no Windows servers or Domains.
>
> Do I need the Pro version or is the Home version fine?

Home is probably fine ...

Pro would give you bitlocker, but if you go with the Dell OEM
pre-install of Home, it may well come pre-bitlockered anyway, my Lenovo did.

Hyper-V isn't supposed to be useable on Home, well they let you use
enough of it to install WSL2, and it's pretty easy to find a batch file
that will install the full Hyper-V anyway,

Remote Desktop (not just the client) is about the only reason you might
have ... I have one Home and one Pro machine, never found the need to
upgrade the second one to Pro.

Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?

<uvoo1c$1li87$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4585&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4585

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:57:49 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:57 UTC

> Do I need the Pro version or is the Home version fine?

A sensible approach to this "problem" might be to tell us all what it is
that you actually want / need

also .. depending on your existing arrangements with MS you might be
able to get a legit copy of Win 11 Pro for next to nothing - or it might
be available as a low cost upgrade with a new Dell laptop.

Or ... just get an upgrade online for about £20

Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?

<uvos18$1mcti$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4586&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4586

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:06:00 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:06 UTC

ly want / need

> also .. depending on your existing arrangements with MS you might be
> able to get a legit copy of Win 11 Pro for next to nothing - or it might
> be available as a low cost upgrade with a new Dell laptop.
>
> Or ... just get an upgrade online for about £20

Since my last message on here - barely an hour ago ..

I have ordered a Win 11 Pro key from a place called the "MS Office
Store" and received an activation key by email.

I have carried out the update and I am now running Win 11 Pro on this
machine - all for the princely sum of £22

If I can do it, then anybody can

Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home user?

<l8af13F9s5cU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4588&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4588

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Me again - is Pro version of Windows 11 wirth it for a home
user?
Date: 17 Apr 2024 17:25:55 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:25 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:48:52 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> So far I've always had Pro versions of Windows (7, 8.1, 10).
>> I have a home network, but no Windows servers or Domains.
>>
>> Do I need the Pro version or is the Home version fine?
>
> Home is probably fine ...
>
> Pro would give you bitlocker, but if you go with the Dell OEM
> pre-install of Home, it may well come pre-bitlockered anyway, my Lenovo
> did.
>
> Hyper-V isn't supposed to be useable on Home, well they let you use
> enough of it to install WSL2, and it's pretty easy to find a batch file
> that will install the full Hyper-V anyway,
>
> Remote Desktop (not just the client) is about the only reason you might
> have ... I have one Home and one Pro machine, never found the need to
> upgrade the second one to Pro.

Thanks.

At one time I might have been interested in HyperV.
Not tinkered with that kind of thing for years.
Back in the day I used VMWare when it was still free.

I have used TightVNC for remote desktop but not used that in a while
either.

Anyway, I found a (reduced) Dell XPS 13 brand new (12th gen i7) which was
not that much more than the Dell Outlet XPS 13 (10th gen i7) so I have
stopped messing about and ordered it.
Comes with W11 Home.

Hopefully it will turn up tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64