* gb notes that fdisk thinks his cdrom can store one terabyte -- Seen on #Linux

computers / comp.sys.mac.vintage / Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

SubjectAuthor
* Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?denodster
+* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Jolly Roger
|`* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Denodster
| +* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Your Name
| |`* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?nospam
| | `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Eli the Bearded
| |  +- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?nospam
| |  `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Your Name
| |   `- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?nospam
| `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?D Finnigan
|  `- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Denodster
+* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?philo
|+- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?nospam
|+- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Your Name
|+- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Denodster
|`* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
| `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|  +* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upDavid Kennedy
|  |+* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|  ||`* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upDavid Kennedy
|  || `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|  ||  `- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upDavid Kennedy
|  |+* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upDenodster
|  ||`* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|  || `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upHeiko Recktenwald
|  ||  `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow uppoc
|  ||   +- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upscott
|  ||   `- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upDenodster
|  |`* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
|  | +- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|  | `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upScott Alfter
|  |  `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|  |   `- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upScott Alfter
|  `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
|   `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|    `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
|     +* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upDenodster
|     |+- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
|     |`* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|     | `- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upEli the Bearded
|     `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|      `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
|       `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|        `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
|         `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|          `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
|           `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
|            `* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upphilo
|             `- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow upnospam
`* Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Sebastian P.
 +- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Liz Tuddenham
 `- Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?Denodster

Pages:123
Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<sm502u$nbh$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=31&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#31

From: denods...@gmail.com (denodster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 04:25:03 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: denodster@0.0.0.0
 by: denodster - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 04:25 UTC

Posting on my LC 475 running Internews. This is my first time on Usenet
and I'm thrilled to find this group. Running system 7.6.1 and MacIP via
an old cisco router. It's been a fun project and I'm thrilled to get to
use it like this.

What kind of hardware are you all running? and how did you get it
online?

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<iunp7lF31drU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=32&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#32

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?
Date: 6 Nov 2021 16:36:05 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 16:36 UTC

On 2021-11-06, denodster <denodster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Posting on my LC 475 running Internews. This is my first time on
> Usenet and I'm thrilled to find this group. Running system 7.6.1 and
> MacIP via an old cisco router. It's been a fun project and I'm
> thrilled to get to use it like this.

Nice! I still have an LC 475 in the closet here. Love that pizza box
case... : )

> What kind of hardware are you all running? and how did you get it
> online?

My oldest Mac is a Mac SE/30 which was originally purchased by my father
in the late 1980s. It was our first Mac. All of our other computers at
the time ran their own specific command-line operating system with no
graphical interface or mouse - just ugly text on an ugly screen. Home
Computers back then either used tape drives for storage or had floppy
drives with their own flavor of DOS.

The Mac we brought home was completely different. It was relatively
small compared to most computers of the time, was self-contained
(screen, CPU, floppy drive, etc were all housed in the case) and could
be carried with one hand. And unlike most, not only did it come with a
mouse, but the mouse was actually *required* to use it.

It completely changed the way I looked at computers for the better. And
while I was very much into programming our trusty TRS-80s in Basic and
Zilog assembly, the Mac with an OS geared from the ground up to be
driven by the GUI, along with Apple’s rich APIs and Pascal / 68k
assembly programming languages immediately took my attention and
opened new worlds to me. And the Mac SE/30 was pretty fast for a
computer at that time - hence the name. : )

Zippy is old, but still runs fine. I've replaced the cooling fan,
upgraded the RAM, and replaced the hard drive over the years. But other
than that, the hardware all original. It's currently running system
7.5.5, has an Asante MacCon 10 megabit Ethernet card installed in the
PDS expansion slot for internet connectivity, and runs the MacHTTP web
server full time, hosting a little website:

<http://zippy.kicks-ass.org:9997>

JR

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<denodster-0611212127410001@192.168.2.200>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#33

From: denods...@gmail.com (Denodster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 21:27:41 -0400
 by: Denodster - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 01:27 UTC

In article <iunp7lF31drU1@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> Nice! I still have an LC 475 in the closet here. Love that pizza box
> case... : )

One of my favorite computer designs, It's too bad the only way to get a
PPC is to find one of those elusive upgrades. Unfortunately mine has come
plastic damage, maybe I'll acquire a non-working one at some point.

> My oldest Mac is a Mac SE/30 which was originally purchased by my father
> in the late 1980s. It was our first Mac. All of our other computers at
> the time ran their own specific command-line operating system with no
> graphical interface or mouse - just ugly text on an ugly screen. Home
> Computers back then either used tape drives for storage or had floppy
> drives with their own flavor of DOS.
>
> The Mac we brought home was completely different. It was relatively
> small compared to most computers of the time, was self-contained
> (screen, CPU, floppy drive, etc were all housed in the case) and could
> be carried with one hand. And unlike most, not only did it come with a
> mouse, but the mouse was actually *required* to use it.
>
> It completely changed the way I looked at computers for the better. And
> while I was very much into programming our trusty TRS-80s in Basic and
> Zilog assembly, the Mac with an OS geared from the ground up to be
> driven by the GUI, along with Apple’s rich APIs and Pascal / 68k
> assembly programming languages immediately took my attention and
> opened new worlds to me. And the Mac SE/30 was pretty fast for a
> computer at that time - hence the name. : )

My first mac was a IIcx that my dad acquired at a surplus auction, with a
portrait monitor. I remember being floored that it didn't have any
scrolling text or command line the first time I booted it up. Apple was
truly thinking different with these machines. As much as I believe they
made the right decision with Unix being the basis of OS X, I can't help
but feel like something was lost the day they added a terminal to the Mac.

I've recently acquired Inside Macintosh Volumes 1-6 and I've been trying
to think up a project I would like to work on. Web development is my day
job and I know how to program in C, so I think I could come up with some
classic mac apps.

> Zippy is old, but still runs fine. I've replaced the cooling fan,
> upgraded the RAM, and replaced the hard drive over the years. But other
> than that, the hardware all original. It's currently running system
> 7.5.5, has an Asante MacCon 10 megabit Ethernet card installed in the
> PDS expansion slot for internet connectivity, and runs the MacHTTP web
> server full time, hosting a little website:
>
> <http://zippy.kicks-ass.org:9997>

Love the website, it works pretty well on my LC 475, good work!

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<sm7bil$1hbn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#34

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:53:25 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 01:53 UTC

On 2021-11-07 01:27:41 +0000, Denodster said:
> In article <iunp7lF31drU1@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
> <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Nice! I still have an LC 475 in the closet here. Love that pizza box
>> case... : )
>
> One of my favorite computer designs,

Yep, a great case design from when Apple actually allowed people to
upgrade their computers ... just pop the lid, no screws to bother with.
It's basically a more flattened copy of the old Apple II design.

> It's too bad the only way to get a PPC is to find one of those elusive
> upgrades. Unfortunately mine has come plastic damage, maybe I'll
> acquire a non-working one at some point.

If you've got a good condition case, you could always put a Mac Mini
into it and have an Intel or Apple Silicon Mac ... it still wouldn't of
course have expansion possibilities anywhere close to those old Macs.
:-(

>> My oldest Mac is a Mac SE/30 which was originally purchased by my father
>> in the late 1980s. It was our first Mac. All of our other computers at
>> the time ran their own specific command-line operating system with no
>> graphical interface or mouse - just ugly text on an ugly screen. Home
>> Computers back then either used tape drives for storage or had floppy
>> drives with their own flavor of DOS.
>>
>> The Mac we brought home was completely different. It was relatively
>> small compared to most computers of the time, was self-contained
>> (screen, CPU, floppy drive, etc were all housed in the case) and could
>> be carried with one hand. And unlike most, not only did it come with a
>> mouse, but the mouse was actually *required* to use it.
>>
>> It completely changed the way I looked at computers for the better. And
>> while I was very much into programming our trusty TRS-80s in Basic and
>> Zilog assembly, the Mac with an OS geared from the ground up to be
>> driven by the GUI, along with Apple’s rich APIs and Pascal / 68k
>> assembly programming languages immediately took my attention and
>> opened new worlds to me. And the Mac SE/30 was pretty fast for a
>> computer at that time - hence the name. : )
>
> My first mac was a IIcx that my dad acquired at a surplus auction, with a
> portrait monitor. I remember being floored that it didn't have any
> scrolling text or command line the first time I booted it up. Apple was
> truly thinking different with these machines. As much as I believe they
> made the right decision with Unix being the basis of OS X, I can't help
> but feel like something was lost the day they added a terminal to the Mac.
>
> I've recently acquired Inside Macintosh Volumes 1-6 and I've been trying
> to think up a project I would like to work on. Web development is my day
> job and I know how to program in C, so I think I could come up with some
> classic mac apps.

Depending on which version of Classic Mac OS you're aiming at, Pascal
can be a option bet than C.

>> Zippy is old, but still runs fine. I've replaced the cooling fan,
>> upgraded the RAM, and replaced the hard drive over the years. But other
>> than that, the hardware all original. It's currently running system
>> 7.5.5, has an Asante MacCon 10 megabit Ethernet card installed in the
>> PDS expansion slot for internet connectivity, and runs the MacHTTP web
>> server full time, hosting a little website:
>>
>> <http://zippy.kicks-ass.org:9997>
>
> Love the website, it works pretty well on my LC 475, good work!

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<071120210859447951%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#35

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 08:59:44 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:59 UTC

In article <sm7bil$1hbn$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> >> Nice! I still have an LC 475 in the closet here. Love that pizza box
> >> case... : )
> >
> > One of my favorite computer designs,
>
> Yep, a great case design from when Apple actually allowed people to
> upgrade their computers ... just pop the lid, no screws to bother with.
> It's basically a more flattened copy of the old Apple II design.

mac pro is easily upgraded without any screws and in all sorts of ways.

intel mac mini is also easy.

> > I've recently acquired Inside Macintosh Volumes 1-6 and I've been trying
> > to think up a project I would like to work on. Web development is my day
> > job and I know how to program in C, so I think I could come up with some
> > classic mac apps.
>
> Depending on which version of Classic Mac OS you're aiming at, Pascal
> can be a option bet than C.

there is no advantage for pascal, or c for that matter.

c++ would be the best choice.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<52093edf8badc27bf88ad21504f402a4@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=37&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#37

From: phi...@news.novabbs.com (philo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:40:40 +0000
 by: philo - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:40 UTC

I was recently given a Quadra running OS-8.

Though I could put it on-line, I was more curious about setting up a printer.

To my amazement I was able to use my networked laser printer. Though the printer is 15 years newer than the computer ...because of Postscript it worked!

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<101120211938046731%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#38

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 19:38:04 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 00:38 UTC

In article <52093edf8badc27bf88ad21504f402a4@news.novabbs.com>, philo
<philo@news.novabbs.com> wrote:

> I was recently given a Quadra running OS-8.
>
> Though I could put it on-line, I was more curious about setting up a printer.
>
> To my amazement I was able to use my networked laser printer. Though the
> printer is 15 years newer than the computer ...because of Postscript it worked!

every mac supports network printers via postscript, going back to the
very first mac in 1984.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<smhqmi$1kck$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#39

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 14:12:50 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 01:12 UTC

On 2021-11-10 23:40:40 +0000, philo said:

> I was recently given a Quadra running OS-8.
>
> Though I could put it on-line, I was more curious about setting up a printer.
>
> To my amazement I was able to use my networked laser printer. Though
> the printer is 15 years newer than the computer ...because of
> Postscript it worked!

Here's one the other way around ... some years ago I set-up a new iMac
for someone who had upgraded from an old CRT iMac, a couple of years
later I had to update the OS on it. Both times I thought they might
have problems with their big, clunky, very ancient printer (no idea how
old, but must have been one of the first USB printers from HP), but I
plugged it into a USB socket and the new iMac recognised it and worked
fine.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<eli$2111102049@qaz.wtf>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#40

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 01:49:24 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 01:49 UTC

In comp.sys.mac.vintage, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> Yep, a great case design from when Apple actually allowed people to
>> upgrade their computers ... just pop the lid, no screws to bother with.
>> It's basically a more flattened copy of the old Apple II design.
> mac pro is easily upgraded without any screws and in all sorts of ways.

After you break your wallet buying it.

> intel mac mini is also easy.

As far as I can tell, that one may be easy but has a bunch of screws.

The LC is probably between this IIsi and Quadra 610 in complexity, but
ifixit doesn't have a guide for it so I can't be certain:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Macintosh+IIsi+Disassembly/2748

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Macintosh+Quadra+610+Teardown/55176

The IIsi and the 128K are the only "classic mac" they have guides for
that I've taken apart myself. The IIci was virtually the same as the
IIsi for opening / repair work. The IIe (not a Mac, but in the "Classic
Mac" section" was easy to open, but used more screws.

>> Depending on which version of Classic Mac OS you're aiming at, Pascal
>> can be a option bet than C.
> there is no advantage for pascal, or c for that matter.

I've programmed for System 7 in C. You definitely got the feel that a
lot of stuff was written for Pascal, eg seeing Pascal style strings
in places.

> c++ would be the best choice.

What C++? The C++ of today is nothing like the C++ of the late 1990s.

Elijah
------
C has changed, too, but slower

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<denodster-1011212140000001@192.168.2.200>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=41&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#41

From: denods...@gmail.com (Denodster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:40:00 -0500
 by: Denodster - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 02:40 UTC

philo@news.novabbs.com (philo) wrote:

> I was recently given a Quadra running OS-8.
>
> Though I could put it on-line, I was more curious about setting up a printer.
>
> To my amazement I was able to use my networked laser printer. Though the
printer is 15 years newer than the computer ...because of Postscript it
worked!

I print from System 7.6 to a Brother laser printer from 2019 over tcp/ip.
If you update Laserwriter 8 you can use a windows computer to extract a
..PPD file from the windows driver and then copy it over to the mac and add
it to the printer descriptions in the extensions folder. (I think I used
res edit to specify the file type to ease the conversion) From there it
just worked.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<dog_cow-1636603162@macgui.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#42

From: dog_...@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 03:59:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 03:59 UTC

Denodster wrote:

> I've recently acquired Inside Macintosh Volumes 1-6 and I've been trying
> to think up a project I would like to work on. Web development is my day
> job and I know how to program in C, so I think I could come up with some
> classic mac apps.

There's no time to lose. Better get started reading others' Macintosh code,
even if you do nothing else. Check out the MacTutor/MacTech archives. Also
the Apple Developer CD. Both include lots of sample code.

The MacTutor archives should be online at this URL:
https://preserve.mactech.com/articles/index.html

I wasn't able to load it just now, so maybe it'll work later. :-/

--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide:

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<111120210017584388%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#43

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 00:17:58 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 05:17 UTC

In article <eli$2111102049@qaz.wtf>, Eli the Bearded
<*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

> >> Yep, a great case design from when Apple actually allowed people to
> >> upgrade their computers ... just pop the lid, no screws to bother with.
> >> It's basically a more flattened copy of the old Apple II design.
> > mac pro is easily upgraded without any screws and in all sorts of ways.
>
> After you break your wallet buying it.

people who need a mac pro are not concerned with its price because it
pays for itself very quickly.

it's a high end pro system for compute intensive tasks where time is
money, not something home users would get for faster web surfing.

the claim was that apple no longer allows people to upgrade macs. that
is false. they have *never* prohibited it.

some macs are more limited because most people never upgrade. there is
no reason to include slots that will never be used.

> > intel mac mini is also easy.
>
> As far as I can tell, that one may be easy but has a bunch of screws.

it does not.

the bottom plate twists off, no tools required:

<https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_
US/macmini/macmini-memory-diagram-2010-12-rotate-cover-open.png>
<https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_
US/macmini/macmini-memory-diagram-2010-12-remove-cover.png>

the previous mac mini enclosure (white top, with both g4 & intel
processors) needed a putty knife to snap the clips, at which point the
top lifts off.

> The LC is probably between this IIsi and Quadra 610 in complexity, but
> ifixit doesn't have a guide for it so I can't be certain:

the lc was extremely easy to open.

the top lifted off via two tabs at the back, as did many macs of that
era.

there was a single screw to secure the lid, but that was not needed and
rarely put back after opening it.

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Macintosh_LC_%28ori
ginal%29_-_rear.jpg>

many macs were even easier.

the side of the cheese-grater mac pro and powermac g5 was easily
removed:

<https://guide-images.cdn.ifixit.com/igi/LG2YPVaHQQ1nWjIE.medium>

the side of the powermac g4 flipped down while the computer could
remain powered and operational, which made it *very* easy to design
hardware cards.

<https://guide-images.cdn.ifixit.com/igi/usapiMdDDBFeDDhd.medium>
<https://guide-images.cdn.ifixit.com/igi/6j1Fmc6PY2u6c6GG.medium>

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/Apple_PowerMa
c_G4_M8570_MDD_sideopen.jpg/800px-Apple_PowerMac_G4_M8570_MDD_sideopen.j
pg>

> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Macintosh+IIsi+Disassembly/2748
>
> https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Macintosh+Quadra+610+Teardown/55176
>
> The IIsi and the 128K are the only "classic mac" they have guides for
> that I've taken apart myself.

take-apart guides are not needed for macs of that vintage.

> The IIci was virtually the same as the
> IIsi for opening / repair work.

the lid was easy to remove, but the similarity ends there.

the iisi was a low end mac with a single pds slot, and an optional
adapter for a true nubus slot.

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Macintosh_IIsi_2.jp
g>
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Macintosh_IIsi_Port
s.jpg>

the iici, iicx and quadra 700 had nearly identical casings, all with
three nubus slots in, differing in which external ports they had.

the iicx lacked onboard video and required a video card, so it really
had only 2 usable nubus slots for expansion.

the iici was the first with onboard video, saving a nubus slot, with an
additional video connector on the back.

the quadra 700 was intended for vertical use, with the labeling on the
front being rotated, plus the feet on what would have been the side
rather than the bottom. this was to match the bigger quadra 900 tower.

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Macintosh_IIcx.jpg>
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Macintosh_IIci.png>
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Macintosh_Quadra_70
0.png>

> The IIe (not a Mac, but in the "Classic
> Mac" section" was easy to open, but used more screws.

the apple ii series were very easy to open and modify.

> >> Depending on which version of Classic Mac OS you're aiming at, Pascal
> >> can be a option bet than C.
> > there is no advantage for pascal, or c for that matter.
>
> I've programmed for System 7 in C. You definitely got the feel that a
> lot of stuff was written for Pascal, eg seeing Pascal style strings
> in places.

most of classic mac os was originally written in pascal, with many core
routines in hand-optimized assembly.

that meant that strings were pascal style, however, that was not an
issue whatsoever for app development with c.

pascal strings are also more robust than c strings, so this was a
feature, not a bug.

think/lightspeed c was *extremely* popular, as was codewarrior, which
supported both pascal, c, c++ and inline 68k assembly in the same ide.

> > c++ would be the best choice.
>
> What C++? The C++ of today is nothing like the C++ of the late 1990s.

so what?

computers of today are nothing like computers of the late 1990s.

anyone writing apps for classic mac os would be best served using c++.

codewarrior's powerplant was a fantastic framework for writing apps,
written in c++, source code included.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<smic3g$d1q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#44

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 19:09:52 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 06:09 UTC

On 2021-11-11 01:49:24 +0000, Eli the Bearded said:

> In comp.sys.mac.vintage, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>> Yep, a great case design from when Apple actually allowed people to
>>> upgrade their computers ... just pop the lid, no screws to bother with.
>>> It's basically a more flattened copy of the old Apple II design.
>> mac pro is easily upgraded without any screws and in all sorts of ways.
>
> After you break your wallet buying it.

Some models of Mac Pro and PowerMac towers require hinging out sections
to get to other sections, so not as easy as the old LC 'pop the lid and
you're in'.

>> intel mac mini is also easy.
>
> As far as I can tell, that one may be easy but has a bunch of screws.

There was one Mac Mini model where the base could be turned to get it
off, but that only allowed limited access. Anything else did require
unscrewing bits and sliding the motherboard out the back.

Many of the Mac Mini models aren't very upgradable, if at all, anyway
because Apple now tends to solder everything down. :(

> The LC is probably between this IIsi and Quadra 610 in complexity, but
> ifixit doesn't have a guide for it so I can't be certain:
>
> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Macintosh+IIsi+Disassembly/2748
>
> https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Macintosh+Quadra+610+Teardown/55176
>
> The IIsi and the 128K are the only "classic mac" they have guides for
> that I've taken apart myself. The IIci was virtually the same as the
> IIsi for opening / repair work. The IIe (not a Mac, but in the "Classic
> Mac" section" was easy to open, but used more screws.
>
>>> Depending on which version of Classic Mac OS you're aiming at, Pascal
>>> can be a better option than C.
>> there is no advantage for pascal, or c for that matter.
>
> I've programmed for System 7 in C. You definitely got the feel that a
> lot of stuff was written for Pascal, eg seeing Pascal style strings
> in places.

Early versions of the Mac OS were written in / for Pascal programming.
MacOS 8 was when C really took over, so if you're planning to write
programs for earlier than that, you're best to use Pascal. Lightspeed /
Think Pascal is my personal favourite programming environment, even
today there's still nothing that comes close to its ease-of-use.

<https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/178038/what-language-was-standard-for-apple-development-before-objective-c>

>> c++ would be the best choice.
>
> What C++? The C++ of today is nothing like the C++ of the late 1990s.
>
> Elijah
> ------
> C has changed, too, but slower

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<111120210218529554%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#45

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 02:18:52 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:18 UTC

In article <smic3g$d1q$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> Some models of Mac Pro and PowerMac towers require hinging out sections
> to get to other sections, so not as easy as the old LC 'pop the lid and
> you're in'.

nope. the side of the g4 tower flips down and the side of the g5/mac
pro can be removed entirely.

> There was one Mac Mini model where the base could be turned to get it
> off, but that only allowed limited access. Anything else did require
> unscrewing bits and sliding the motherboard out the back.

several models, actually.

> Many of the Mac Mini models aren't very upgradable, if at all, anyway
> because Apple now tends to solder everything down. :(

nope.

the 2014 mini was the only one with soldered memory, not that it
matters since very few people upgrade after purchase.

the m1 mini has memory on the soc itself, which applies to all m1 macs
and is much faster than what dimms can provide.

> Early versions of the Mac OS were written in / for Pascal programming.

it was written in pascal and assembly.

programming could be done using assembly, pascal, c, c++ and in any
combination. basic was also available, along with some less common
languages available, such as scheme.

> MacOS 8 was when C really took over,

nope. it was much, much earlier than that.

in fact, mac native c compilers predated mac native pascal compilers,
including aztec c, consulair c and megamax c, somewhere around late1984
or early 1985.

> so if you're planning to write
> programs for earlier than that, you're best to use Pascal.

nope to that too. see above.

> Lightspeed /
> Think Pascal is my personal favourite programming environment, even
> today there's still nothing that comes close to its ease-of-use.

codewarrior was *significantly* better, and not just its ide, but also
the powerplant framework.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<smjav8$5tq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#46

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 08:56:39 -0600
 by: philo - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 14:56 UTC

On 11/10/2021 5:40 PM, philo wrote:
> I was recently given a Quadra running OS-8.
>
> Though I could put it on-line, I was more curious about setting up a
> printer.
>
> To my amazement I was able to use my networked laser printer. Though the
> printer is 15 years newer than the computer   ...because of Postscript
> it worked!

I also have some SE's but no networking on them.

I had them up in my attic fro 15 years and brought them down recently as
I was given a bunch old old Mac HD's

AFAIK the SE will only recognize a 20, 40 or 80 meg drive.

Out the the many drives I had, I found a total of three that stayed
working after several boot-ups.

One drive was HFS+ but one was the original Mac FS.

Though there are plenty of ways to read an HJFS+ drive from Windows or
Linux, I had to transfer the files from the Mac FS machine to the HFS
machine via floppy.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<111120211036330738%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#47

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 10:36:33 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 15:36 UTC

In article <smjav8$5tq$1@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
wrote:

> I also have some SE's but no networking on them.

yes they very definitely do.

*every* mac ever made has networking and in fact, macs were the first
mainstream computers include it, without any additional hardware.

localtalk is built in. ethernet cards were an optional extra, either
with an internal pds card or via an external adapter or network bridge.

> I had them up in my attic fro 15 years and brought them down recently as
> I was given a bunch old old Mac HD's
>
> AFAIK the SE will only recognize a 20, 40 or 80 meg drive.

very much wrong.

a mac se will recognize up to 2 gigabyte hard drives, and with system
7.5, up to 4 gigabytes.

> Out the the many drives I had, I found a total of three that stayed
> working after several boot-ups.

drives can still work and not be bootable.

> One drive was HFS+ but one was the original Mac FS.

none were the original mac fs, known as mfs. that was for 400k floppies.

you probably mean hfs, which replaced mfs to support the larger
capacity 800k floppies and hard drives, before the mac se was released.

some very, very early hard drives were mfs only because the predated
hfs and were mostly a clusterfuck to use.

hfs+ came much later, with mac os 8.1, which won't work on a mac se.

> Though there are plenty of ways to read an HJFS+ drive from Windows or
> Linux, I had to transfer the files from the Mac FS machine to the HFS
> machine via floppy.

that's what networks are for.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<z9ydndyDor2DohD8nZ2dnUU78WHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#48

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
From: davidken...@nospamherethankyou.invalid (David Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:04:46 +0000
 by: David Kennedy - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:04 UTC

On 11/11/2021 15:36, nospam wrote:
> In article <smjav8$5tq$1@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I also have some SE's but no networking on them.
>
> yes they very definitely do.
>
> *every* mac ever made has networking and in fact, macs were the first
> mainstream computers include it, without any additional hardware.
>
> localtalk is built in. ethernet cards were an optional extra, either
> with an internal pds card or via an external adapter or network bridge.

I'm fairly sure I can remember needing appletalk adaptors when trying to
network three Apple Plus machines round about 1987 ish...

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running?

<denodster-1111211112570001@192.168.2.200>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#49

From: denods...@gmail.com (Denodster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 11:12:57 -0500
 by: Denodster - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:12 UTC

In article <dog_cow-1636603162@macgui.com>, D Finnigan
<dog_cow@macgui.com> wrote:

> Denodster wrote:
> >
> > I've recently acquired Inside Macintosh Volumes 1-6 and I've been trying
> > to think up a project I would like to work on. Web development is my day
> > job and I know how to program in C, so I think I could come up with some
> > classic mac apps.
>
> There's no time to lose. Better get started reading others' Macintosh code,
> even if you do nothing else. Check out the MacTutor/MacTech archives. Also
> the Apple Developer CD. Both include lots of sample code.
>
> The MacTutor archives should be online at this URL:
> https://preserve.mactech.com/articles/index.html
>
> I wasn't able to load it just now, so maybe it'll work later. :-/

works for me, thanks for the link.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<111120211142469145%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#50

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 11:42:46 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:42 UTC

In article <z9ydndyDor2DohD8nZ2dnUU78WHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, David
Kennedy <davidkennedy@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> >> I also have some SE's but no networking on them.
> >
> > yes they very definitely do.
> >
> > *every* mac ever made has networking and in fact, macs were the first
> > mainstream computers include it, without any additional hardware.
> >
> > localtalk is built in. ethernet cards were an optional extra, either
> > with an internal pds card or via an external adapter or network bridge.
> >
> I'm fairly sure I can remember needing appletalk adaptors when trying to
> network three Apple Plus machines round about 1987 ish...

exactly the point.

those appletalk adapters, more accurately called localtalk adapters,
was all that was needed because networking was built into every mac.

they were simple passive devices that went between the mac and the
localtalk cables, just like an aui adapter did for ethernet (thicknet,
(coax/thinnet/10b-2, 10b-t), token ring, etc.

<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Apple_LocalTa
lk_box_interior_1.jpg/1024px-Apple_LocalTalk_box_interior_1.jpg>

phonenet was a more popular option because it used ordinary telephone
cord, which meant existing wiring in the walls could be used without
needing to run additional cables, making it a less expensive and far
more convenient option.

i remember carrying phonenet adapters and rj-11 phone cord in my laptop
bag so that i could instantly set up a network with several other users
at any time, anywhere. instant lan parties.

ethernet required either a card in the internal pds slot of the mac se
or an external ethernet adapter that looked a lot like a phonenet
adapter and connected to the existing localtalk port. asante and
farralon made both, as well as others.

there were also ethernet/localtalk bridges to bridge both localtalk and
ethernet. i had a mac ii with several ethernet cards for a fairly
complex network setup.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<WI6dnfWwq8T-0xD8nZ2dnUU78fWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#51

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
From: davidken...@nospamherethankyou.invalid (David Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:09:55 +0000
 by: David Kennedy - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:09 UTC

On 11/11/2021 16:42, nospam wrote:

>>> yes they very definitely do.
>>>
>>> *every* mac ever made has networking and in fact, macs were the first
>>> mainstream computers include it, without any additional hardware.
>>>
>>> localtalk is built in. ethernet cards were an optional extra, either
>>> with an internal pds card or via an external adapter or network bridge.
>>>
>> I'm fairly sure I can remember needing appletalk adaptors when trying to
>> network three Apple Plus machines round about 1987 ish...
>
> exactly the point.
>
> those appletalk adapters, more accurately called localtalk adapters,
> was all that was needed because networking was built into every mac.
>
> they were simple passive devices that went between the mac and the
> localtalk cables, just like an aui adapter did for ethernet (thicknet,
> (coax/thinnet/10b-2, 10b-t), token ring, etc.
>
> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Apple_LocalTa
> lk_box_interior_1.jpg/1024px-Apple_LocalTalk_box_interior_1.jpg>
>
> phonenet was a more popular option because it used ordinary telephone
> cord, which meant existing wiring in the walls could be used without
> needing to run additional cables, making it a less expensive and far
> more convenient option.
>
> i remember carrying phonenet adapters and rj-11 phone cord in my laptop
> bag so that i could instantly set up a network with several other users
> at any time, anywhere. instant lan parties.
>
> ethernet required either a card in the internal pds slot of the mac se
> or an external ethernet adapter that looked a lot like a phonenet
> adapter and connected to the existing localtalk port. asante and
> farralon made both, as well as others.
>
> there were also ethernet/localtalk bridges to bridge both localtalk and
> ethernet. i had a mac ii with several ethernet cards for a fairly
> complex network setup.

I remember having them; the rest blurs into the mists of time now...

I do recall how bloody useful it was when it came to returning to the office
and simply plugging into everything with the Mac Portable!

Still got it somewhere, wonder if it still works?

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<denodster-1111211219250001@192.168.2.200>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=52&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#52

From: denods...@gmail.com (Denodster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:19:25 -0500
 by: Denodster - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:19 UTC

davidkennedygm@gmail.invalid wrote:

> On 11/11/2021 15:36, nospam wrote:
> > In article <smjav8$5tq$1@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I also have some SE's but no networking on them.
> >
> > yes they very definitely do.
> >
> > *every* mac ever made has networking and in fact, macs were the first
> > mainstream computers include it, without any additional hardware.
> >
> > localtalk is built in. ethernet cards were an optional extra, either
> > with an internal pds card or via an external adapter or network bridge.
> >
> I'm fairly sure I can remember needing appletalk adaptors when trying to
> network three Apple Plus machines round about 1987 ish...

I'm posting this using an etherwave adapter, which is a localtalk to
ethernet bridge, I have it plugged into the serial port for the modem. The
device is plug and play but only if you have a MacIP server, because it
won't do DHCP... such a device would work on any mac that can support
appletalk (I believe even the 512k can). I've used it with a classic and
an SE. Pretty sure if want to do TCP/IP with a modern router you need an
ethernet card.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<111120211220385509%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=53&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#53

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:20:38 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:20 UTC

In article <WI6dnfWwq8T-0xD8nZ2dnUU78fWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, David
Kennedy <davidkennedy@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> I remember having them; the rest blurs into the mists of time now...

it does, but it's fun to reminisce to a time when things were much
simpler.

> I do recall how bloody useful it was when it came to returning to the office
> and simply plugging into everything with the Mac Portable!

the mac that had the wrong name...

> Still got it somewhere, wonder if it still works?

the battery is almost certainly dead.

it was a lead-acid battery, much like the ones in a modern ups.

the mac portable was designed to run off the battery, even when
connected to mains, which only served to charge the battery, not power
the unit, so a dead battery is going to be a problem.

i'm not sure where you can find a replacement battery, but you can
always connect an external battery, making the non-portable mac even
less portable. be sure to get the correct voltage.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<111120211227129153%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#54

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:27:12 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:27 UTC

In article <denodster-1111211219250001@192.168.2.200>, Denodster
<denodster@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm posting this using an etherwave adapter, which is a localtalk to
> ethernet bridge, I have it plugged into the serial port for the modem. The
> device is plug and play but only if you have a MacIP server, because it
> won't do DHCP... such a device would work on any mac that can support
> appletalk (I believe even the 512k can). I've used it with a classic and
> an SE.

bootp should work, or configure a static address.

> Pretty sure if want to do TCP/IP with a modern router you need an
> ethernet card.

tcp worked over localtalk. an ethernet card was obviously quite a bit
faster, but it was not needed.

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<smkbb5$1pae$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#55

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 18:09:09 -0600
 by: philo - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 00:09 UTC

On 11/11/21 9:36 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <smjav8$5tq$1@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I also have some SE's but no networking on them.
>
> yes they very definitely do.
>
> *every* mac ever made has networking and in fact, macs were the first
> mainstream computers include it, without any additional hardware.
>
> localtalk is built in. ethernet cards were an optional extra, either
> with an internal pds card or via an external adapter or network bridge.

OS has networking but I have no hardware for it.

>> I had them up in my attic fro 15 years and brought them down recently as
>> I was given a bunch old old Mac HD's
>>
>> AFAIK the SE will only recognize a 20, 40 or 80 meg drive.
>
> very much wrong.
>
> a mac se will recognize up to 2 gigabyte hard drives, and with system
> 7.5, up to 4 gigabytes.
>
>> Out the the many drives I had, I found a total of three that stayed
>> working after several boot-ups.
>
> drives can still work and not be bootable.

Indeed. maybe the drives I had could be recognized but the only drives
it would boot from were either 20, 40 0r *)

>> One drive was HFS+ but one was the original Mac FS.
>
> none were the original mac fs, known as mfs. that was for 400k floppies.
>
> you probably mean hfs, which replaced mfs to support the larger
> capacity 800k floppies and hard drives, before the mac se was released.
>
> some very, very early hard drives were mfs only because the predated
> hfs and were mostly a clusterfuck to use.
>
> hfs+ came much later, with mac os 8.1, which won't work on a mac se.

gparted (on my linux machine) could recognize HFS /HFS+ drives but the
one SE had a drive that gparted could not identify.

I assume it must have been MFS (FWIF, it's 20 meg)

I guess I've got a real collector's item

Re: Posting on my LC 475, What are you running? Follow up

<smkbdd$1pae$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#56

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 18:10:21 -0600
 by: philo - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 00:10 UTC

On 11/11/21 10:04 AM, David Kennedy wrote:
> On 11/11/2021 15:36, nospam wrote:
>> In article <smjav8$5tq$1@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <philo@privacy.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I also have some SE's but no networking on them.
>>
>> yes they very definitely do.
>>
>> *every* mac ever made has networking and in fact, macs were the first
>> mainstream computers include it, without any additional hardware.
>>
>> localtalk is built in. ethernet cards were an optional extra, either
>> with an internal pds card or via an external adapter or network bridge.
>>
> I'm fairly sure I can remember needing appletalk adaptors when trying to
> network three Apple Plus machines round about 1987 ish...

I have an adapter that will work with my Quadra but nothing for the SE