computers / comp.mobile.android / How things have progressed

SubjectAuthor
* How things have progressedMajorLanGod
+* Re: How things have progressedJörg Lorenz
|`* Re: How things have progressedJörg Lorenz
| `* Re: How things have progressedAndy Burns
|  +- Re: How things have progressedArno Welzel
|  `- Re: How things have progressedJörg Lorenz
+* Re: How things have progressedWally J
|`- Re: How things have progressedcandycanearter07
+* Re: How things have progressedDave Roya
|+* Re: How things have progressedAndy Burns
||`* Re: How things have progressedStan Brown
|| `* Re: How things have progressedDavid Higton
||  `* Re: How things have progressedAndy Burns
||   +* Re: How things have progressedThe Real Bev
||   |+* Re: How things have progressedAJL
||   ||+* Re: How things have progressedJörg Lorenz
||   |||+* Re: How things have progressedAJL
||   ||||`- Re: How things have progressedFrank Slootweg
||   |||`- Re: How things have progressedThe Real Bev
||   ||+- Re: How things have progressedThe Real Bev
||   ||`- Re: How things have progressedArno Welzel
||   |`* Re: How things have progressedAndy Burns
||   | `- Re: How things have progressedThe Real Bev
||   `- Re: How things have progressedDavid Higton
|`* Re: How things have progressedArno Welzel
| `* Re: How things have progressedDave Roya
|  `* Re: How things have progressedArno Welzel
|   +- Re: How things have progressedDave Roya
|   `* Re: How things have progressedJim Jackson
|    `- Re: How things have progressedArno Welzel
+- Re: How things have progressedArno Welzel
`* Re: How things have progressedJeff Layman
 `- Re: How things have progressedFrank Slootweg

Pages:12
How things have progressed

<XnsB0A4975DD212lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46113&group=comp.mobile.android#46113

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: How things have progressed
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 05:55:47 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 05:55 UTC

Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!

Re: How things have progressed

<ugvpmu$1jplv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46114&group=comp.mobile.android#46114

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How things have progressed
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:05:18 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 06:05 UTC

Am 21.10.23 um 07:55 schrieb MajorLanGod:
> Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
> God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
> than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
> nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
> and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!

Amazing.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: How things have progressed

<ugvqef$ju5s$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46116&group=comp.mobile.android#46116

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 02:17:51 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 06:17 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote

> Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
> God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
> than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
> nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
> and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!

Everything except highly marketed consumer electronics gets better, faster
& cheaper over time because, in essence, a phone is simply a commodity.

For example, my free Galaxy A32-5G is faster than my originally $800 S3.

Every year, my Android phones have dropped in price since the Kyocera
and PalmPilot and BlackBerry, etc. and every year they get better.

Only highly marketed items can NOT get better, faster & cheaper over time.

Re: How things have progressed

<ugvt23$1jv7j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46117&group=comp.mobile.android#46117

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:02:27 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 07:02 UTC

Am 21.10.23 um 08:05 schrieb Jörg Lorenz:
> Am 21.10.23 um 07:55 schrieb MajorLanGod:
>> Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
>> God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
>> than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
>> nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
>> and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!
>
> Amazing.

BTW:

Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in an
integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years. Moore's law is an
observation and projection of a historical trend. Rather than a law of
physics, it is an empirical relationship linked to gains from experience
in production.

The observation is named after Gordon Moore, the co-founder of Fairchild
Semiconductor and Intel (and former CEO of the latter), who in 1965
posited a doubling every year in the number of components per integrated
circuit,[a] and projected this rate of growth would continue for at
least another decade. In 1975, looking forward to the next decade, he
revised the forecast to doubling every two years, a compound annual
growth rate (CAGR) of 41%. While Moore did not use empirical evidence in
forecasting that the historical trend would continue, his prediction
held since 1975 and has since become known as a "law".

Source: Wikipedia

--
Ave! Morituri te salutant!

Re: How things have progressed

<kphefuFc21pU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46118&group=comp.mobile.android#46118

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:55:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 07:55 UTC

Jörg Lorenz wrote:

> Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in an
> integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years.

Unfortunately programmers consume memory and CPU faster than chip
designers produce it ...

Re: How things have progressed

<uh017a$1lava$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46119&group=comp.mobile.android#46119

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:13:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:13 UTC

On 21 Oct 2023 05:55:47 GMT MajorLanGod wrote:
>Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
>God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
>than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
>nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
>and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!

I also have a working Nexus 7 - 1st gen. It was the update from Android 4
to 5 that really slowed it down. And it always was slow to boot up -
slower than my Nokia N810. Those twirling coloured dots ...
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: How things have progressed

<kphj1kFbnpqU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46121&group=comp.mobile.android#46121

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:13:24 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:13 UTC

Andy Burns, 2023-10-21 09:55:

> Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in an
>> integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years.
>
> Unfortunately programmers consume memory and CPU faster than chip
> designers produce it ...

I don't have this impression. All the apps on my Pixel 6a work quite
well and have no issues with CPU or memory.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: How things have progressed

<kphjgdFbnpqU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46122&group=comp.mobile.android#46122

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:21:18 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:21 UTC

MajorLanGod, 2023-10-21 07:55:

> Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
> God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
> than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
> nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
> and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!

Yes, but development got slower. It's the same as with every kind of
electronic devices. The first generation is soon replaced by faster
versions and in the first years every 6-12 months there are major
improvements.

However after 10 years of development, the software manufacturers can
not afford to target only the latest and most capable devices because
users do not only have the latest hardware.

Also see the statistics of the Steam gaming platform:

<https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/>

A substantial part of the users still use Nvidia GTX 1060 - a GPU which
is more than 7(!) years old (introduced in July 2016).

So a game developer which assumes that everybody has a modern RTX 3060
or even RTX 4080 will only sell their stuff to a very little percentage
of the users.

The same applies to Smartphones. Yes, many people replace their phones
every 3 or 4 years. But also many people use their devices for more than
4 years because a phone from 2018 or 2019 may still be OK for common
every day tasks like messenger or web browsing.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: How things have progressed

<uh05n0$1lpgc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46123&group=comp.mobile.android#46123

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:30:08 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:30 UTC

On 21/10/2023 06:55, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
> God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
> than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
> nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
> and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!

Ha! I had to give up on my Huawei Y300 a couple of years ago when it was
almost 8 years old. It was my first smartphone, and was ok when I first
got it (Android 4.1). However, with only 512MB of memory, it was pretty
limited with what it could do, and was really slow as it had to keep
shuffling memory around. When 3G is switched off in the UK by Vodafone
in the next few months, it'll stop working anyway, other than as a 2G
device or connected to wifi. Its battery still seems pretty good, though.

--

Jeff

Re: How things have progressed

<uh06lr$1maei$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46124&group=comp.mobile.android#46124

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:46:35 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:46 UTC

Am 21.10.23 um 09:55 schrieb Andy Burns:
> Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in an
>> integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years.
>
> Unfortunately programmers consume memory and CPU faster than chip
> designers produce it ...

Did you think about it? This is simply impossible from a logical point
of view.

--
Ave! Morituri te salutant!

Re: How things have progressed

<kpi5ciFgg2aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46130&group=comp.mobile.android#46130

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:26:29 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 14:26 UTC

Dave Royal wrote:

> I also have a working Nexus 7 - 1st gen. It was the update from Android
> 4 to 5 that really slowed it down.

Mine is in landfill ...

Re: How things have progressed

<MPG.3f9d8cf38b10a48f9901e6@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46131&group=comp.mobile.android#46131

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:24:13 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:24 UTC

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:26:29 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> Dave Royal wrote:
>
> > I also have a working Nexus 7 - 1st gen. It was the update from Android
> > 4 to 5 that really slowed it down.
>
> Mine is in landfill ...

No recycling where you live?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: How things have progressed

<kpi98tFh4jjU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46132&group=comp.mobile.android#46132

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:32:46 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:32 UTC

Dave Royal, 2023-10-21 10:13:

> On 21 Oct 2023 05:55:47 GMT MajorLanGod wrote:
>> Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
>> God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
>> than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
>> nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
>> and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!
>
> I also have a working Nexus 7 - 1st gen. It was the update from Android 4
> to 5 that really slowed it down. And it always was slow to boot up -
> slower than my Nokia N810. Those twirling coloured dots ...

Well, the Nexus 7 is now about 11 years old. Do you also use a PC which
is about 15-20 years old and expect it to work flawless with modern
software?

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: How things have progressed

<uh0ups$1rob6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46136&group=comp.mobile.android#46136

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:38:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:38 UTC

On 21 Oct 2023 17:32:46 +0200 Arno Welzel wrote:
>Dave Royal, 2023-10-21 10:13:
>
>> On 21 Oct 2023 05:55:47 GMT MajorLanGod wrote:
>>> Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
>>> God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
>>> than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
>>> nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
>>> and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!
>>
>> I also have a working Nexus 7 - 1st gen. It was the update from Android 4
>> to 5 that really slowed it down. And it always was slow to boot up -
>> slower than my Nokia N810. Those twirling coloured dots ...
>
>Well, the Nexus 7 is now about 11 years old. Do you also use a PC which
>is about 15-20 years old and expect it to work flawless with modern
>software?

What makes you think I do?
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: How things have progressed

<uh0ut2$1rhcm$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46137&group=comp.mobile.android#46137

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:40:02 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:40 UTC

On 10/21/23 01:17, Wally J wrote:
> MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
>> God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
>> than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
>> nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
>> and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!
>
> Everything except highly marketed consumer electronics gets better, faster
> & cheaper over time because, in essence, a phone is simply a commodity.
>
> For example, my free Galaxy A32-5G is faster than my originally $800 S3.
>
> Every year, my Android phones have dropped in price since the Kyocera
> and PalmPilot and BlackBerry, etc. and every year they get better.
>
> Only highly marketed items can NOT get better, faster & cheaper over time.

Apple?

Re: How things have progressed

<81e6f7f65a.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46144&group=comp.mobile.android#46144

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:23:01 +0100
 by: David Higton - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 19:23 UTC

In message <MPG.3f9d8cf38b10a48f9901e6@news.individual.net>
Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:26:29 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> >
> > Dave Royal wrote:
> >
> > > I also have a working Nexus 7 - 1st gen. It was the update from Android
> > > 4 to 5 that really slowed it down.
> >
> > Mine is in landfill ...
>
> No recycling where you live?

If he really is from the UK as his address suggests, then not only is
there recycling where he lives, but he is AIUI legally obliged to use
it to dispose of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment. There is
a directive.

David

Re: How things have progressed

<kpjfhjFn3jfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46170&group=comp.mobile.android#46170

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 03:25:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 02:25 UTC

David Higton wrote:

> If he really is from the UK as his address suggests, then not only is
> there recycling where he lives, but he is AIUI legally obliged to use
> it to dispose of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment. There is
> a directive.

AFAIK, the WEEE directive places legal obligations on producers,
importers and business consumers, but not individual consumers.

If you think I'm going out of my way to dispose of every single AA
battery, think again ...

Re: How things have progressed

<uh2ah5$28ieh$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46175&group=comp.mobile.android#46175

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 22:04:16 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 05:04 UTC

On 10/21/23 7:25 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> David Higton wrote:
>
>> If he really is from the UK as his address suggests, then not only is
>> there recycling where he lives, but he is AIUI legally obliged to use
>> it to dispose of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment. There is
>> a directive.
>
> AFAIK, the WEEE directive places legal obligations on producers,
> importers and business consumers, but not individual consumers.
>
> If you think I'm going out of my way to dispose of every single AA
> battery, think again ...

Our city public library accepts them. I save up a jarful and then
contribute. They also take spectacles.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Johnston [Island] was the home of a U.S. chemical weapons disposal

Re: How things have progressed

<uh2c53$28uih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46176&group=comp.mobile.android#46176

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 22:32:18 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 05:32 UTC

On 10/21/2023 10:04 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/21/23 7:25 PM, Andy Burns wrote:

>> If you think I'm going out of my way to dispose of every single AA
>> battery, think again ...

> Our city public library accepts them. I save up a jarful and then
> contribute. They also take spectacles.

My garbage company advises to dispose of used Alkaline
batteries in the regular trash...

Re: How things have progressed

<uh2id4$29spl$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46186&group=comp.mobile.android#46186

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:19:00 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 07:19 UTC

Am 22.10.23 um 07:32 schrieb AJL:
> On 10/21/2023 10:04 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 10/21/23 7:25 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>>> If you think I'm going out of my way to dispose of every single AA
>>> battery, think again ...
>
>> Our city public library accepts them. I save up a jarful and then
>> contribute. They also take spectacles.
>
> My garbage company advises to dispose of used Alkaline
> batteries in the regular trash...

Tell me that this is not true!

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: How things have progressed

<kpk8eiFrlrdU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46193&group=comp.mobile.android#46193

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:30:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:30 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> If you think I'm going out of my way to dispose of every single AA
>> battery, think again ...
>
> Our city public library accepts them.  I save up a jarful and then
> contribute.

Our supermarkets do, if I'm throwing out several I take them, but if a
couple have been sitting on the side for weeks they'll end-up in the bin.

> They also take spectacles.

Now those I have dozens of pairs of (mainly from my late parents') I
think the schemes that used to ship them off to poorer parts of the
world have ended, now one of the big opticians chains says they'll take
them, but they just get melted down.

Re: How things have progressed

<uh3bl5.qrc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46205&group=comp.mobile.android#46205

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 22 Oct 2023 12:30:10 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:30 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 21/10/2023 06:55, MajorLanGod wrote:
> > Every o often I charge up my Google Nexus 7 2013 just for old times sake.
> > God it is sooo slow. It's hard to remember how much better I thought it was
> > than the Palm Pilot I replaced. How quickly we get spoiled. There is
> > nothing different between it and my Samsung Galay Tab S6 Lite ecept speed
> > and capacity. I guess the phrase is Onward and Upward!
>
> Ha! I had to give up on my Huawei Y300 a couple of years ago when it was
> almost 8 years old. It was my first smartphone, and was ok when I first
> got it (Android 4.1). However, with only 512MB of memory, it was pretty
> limited with what it could do, and was really slow as it had to keep
> shuffling memory around. When 3G is switched off in the UK by Vodafone
> in the next few months, it'll stop working anyway, other than as a 2G
> device or connected to wifi. Its battery still seems pretty good, though.

A Huawei Y300 was my first phone too. For me, the 512MB RAM (I assume
you mean the RAM) was not the biggest problem, but the only 4GB of
Internal Storage, which effectively had only about 1GB 'free', without
any additional apps. It was a lot of juggling, trying to move (part of)
the code of apps to the SD-card, only for apps which were designed to
have this capability. But I managed. Used the phone mainly for offline
navigation (OsmAnd+) in the Outback of Australia. Still have the phone
and like yours, it still works, including the battery.

After that, a Huawei Y5[60] with a whopping 8GB of Internal Storage.
And now a Samnsung Galaxy A51 (128GB).

Re: How things have progressed

<cbdd5bf75a.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46209&group=comp.mobile.android#46209

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:34:55 +0100
 by: David Higton - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 13:34 UTC

In message <kpjfhjFn3jfU2@mid.individual.net>
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> David Higton wrote:
>
> > If he really is from the UK as his address suggests, then not only is
> > there recycling where he lives, but he is AIUI legally obliged to use it
> > to dispose of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment. There is a
> > directive.
>
> AFAIK, the WEEE directive places legal obligations on producers, importers
> and business consumers, but not individual consumers.
>
> If you think I'm going out of my way to dispose of every single AA
> battery, think again ...

I dispose of every one of them, and all the other battery sizes too;
but only in batches, every few months, and I don't go out of my way
to do so. Supermarkets collect them. So does the recycling centre,
but I only dispose of batteries there when I'm recycling something
else too.

David

Re: How things have progressed

<uh3drb$2g24f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46216&group=comp.mobile.android#46216

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:07:23 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:07 UTC

On 10/22/2023 12:19 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 22.10.23 um 07:32 schrieb AJL:

>> My garbage company advises to dispose of used Alkaline batteries
>> in the regular trash...

> Tell me that this is not true!

From the city website: "Alkaline and carbon-zinc batteries are
non-hazardous. Batteries in sizes A, AA, AAA, C and D should be bagged,
tied and placed in your tan garbage container."

<https://www.goodyearaz.gov/government/departments/public-works/trash-recycling-services/household-hazardous-waste-options>

FYI: My tan garbage container is for regular waste and my green one is
for recyclable waste...

Re: How things have progressed

<uh3s5i.reo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46224&group=comp.mobile.android#46224

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 22 Oct 2023 17:11:59 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:11 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
> On 10/22/2023 12:19 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> > Am 22.10.23 um 07:32 schrieb AJL:
>
> >> My garbage company advises to dispose of used Alkaline batteries
> >> in the regular trash...
>
> > Tell me that this is not true!
>
> From the city website: "Alkaline and carbon-zinc batteries are
> non-hazardous. Batteries in sizes A, AA, AAA, C and D should be bagged,
> tied and placed in your tan garbage container."
>
> <https://www.goodyearaz.gov/government/departments/public-works/trash-recycling-services/household-hazardous-waste-options>
>
> FYI: My tan garbage container is for regular waste and my green one is
> for recyclable waste...

In some places, garbage is crushed in the garbage trucks. While this
might not be so dangerous for normal, non-Lithium, batteries, it is
very dangerous for Lithium batteries.

Also dangerous: In our country (NL), idiots use laughing gas to get
their buzz and then throw away the bottles in the garbage, which then
ends up in the garbage trucks, where the crushing causes dangerous fires
and even explosions, damaging/destroying the trucks and risking people's
lives.