"Gort, klaatu nikto barada." -- The Day the Earth Stood Still

devel / alt.msdos.batch / Re: One keystroke runs a batch file

SubjectAuthor
* One keystroke runs a batch fileFalafel Balls
`* Re: One keystroke runs a batch fileChar Jackson
 +* Re: One keystroke runs a batch fileStan Brown
 |`- Re: One keystroke runs a batch filemicky
 `* Re: One keystroke runs a batch filemicky
  `- Re: One keystroke runs a batch fileZaidy036

1
One keystroke runs a batch file

<u9p71r$2l3b$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=455&group=alt.msdos.batch#455

From: YoussefG...@etisalat.eg (Falafel Balls)
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: One keystroke runs a batch file
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:16:59 +0300
 by: Falafel Balls - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 19:16 UTC

I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?

Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat

How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?

Re: One keystroke runs a batch file

<r6c0ciho5mbrop95ai4642q0l2j7tbtdjc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=456&group=alt.msdos.batch#456

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: One keystroke runs a batch file
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:32:17 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:32 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:16:59 +0300, Falafel Balls
<YoussefGamalNOSPAM@etisalat.eg> wrote:

>I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
>Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?
>
>Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat
>
>How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
>monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?

There are a few folks hanging around who use software like AutoHotkey or AutoIt,
or I think that's what they're called. Something like that might do the job.

Re: One keystroke runs a batch file

<MPG.3f29de7399d1c365990171@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=457&group=alt.msdos.batch#457

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:28:57 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 21:28 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:32:17 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:16:59 +0300, Falafel Balls
> <YoussefGamalNOSPAM@etisalat.eg> wrote:
>
> >I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
> >Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?
> >
> >Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat
> >
> >How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
> >monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?
>
> There are a few folks hanging around who use software like AutoHotkey or AutoIt,
> or I think that's what they're called. Something like that might do the job.

Char's approach is a valid one IMHO.

But you can also do it in native Windows. Create a shortcut whose
target is either
cmd /c c:\batch\dosomething.bat
or
cmd /k c:\batch\dosomething.bat
(The difference is that the first one's window closes when the batch
file finishes, and the second's window stays open till you close it,
either by typing exit on the command line or by clicking the X at the
upper right of the window.)

After Target in the shortcut dialog, you have a box for entering an
optional shortcut key. Don't pick an often-used key sequence, like
Ctrl+C! Pick something easy to type but not likely to be typed by
accident, Ctrl+Alt+S for instance. (Don't type Ctrl+Alt+S, press
those three keys together while the cursor is in the Shortcut Key
box.)

For the shortcut key to be effective, the shortcut must be either on
your desktop or in your start menu.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: One keystroke runs a batch file

<qm21ci58mc21d36jka11d8tu6em93of07h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=458&group=alt.msdos.batch#458

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 23:01:02 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 03:01 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:32:17 -0500, Char
Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:16:59 +0300, Falafel Balls
><YoussefGamalNOSPAM@etisalat.eg> wrote:
>
>>I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
>>Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?
>>
>>Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat
>>
>>How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
>>monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?
>
>There are a few folks hanging around who use software like AutoHotkey or AutoIt,
>or I think that's what they're called. Something like that might do the job.

I was going to suggest AutoHotKey or another one that is easier to use
but which costs a little money. The first requires writing a script
and the second just filling out forms. There are others.

I only use mine to raise and lower the volume, and to mute the sound.
I think I tried to disable the Insert key and it should have been easy
but it didn't work. I think it will work for you how ever

Google key remapper . Probably no DOS needed.

Re: One keystroke runs a batch file

<d531ci5abg0hslcdkmpu6e2qrg04jt0sth@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=459&group=alt.msdos.batch#459

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 23:02:41 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 03:02 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:28:57 -0700, Stan
Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:32:17 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:16:59 +0300, Falafel Balls
>> <YoussefGamalNOSPAM@etisalat.eg> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a batch file that I run a log while I'm not looking at the screen.
>> >Is there a way to run a batch file from a single keyboard keystroke?
>> >
>> >Say the batch file is in c:\batch\dosomething.bat
>> >
>> >How can I set up a keyboard keystroke so that I don't have to look at the
>> >monitor to run that command from the keyboard (while I'm looking down)?
>>
>> There are a few folks hanging around who use software like AutoHotkey or AutoIt,
>> or I think that's what they're called. Something like that might do the job.
>
>Char's approach is a valid one IMHO.
>
>But you can also do it in native Windows. Create a shortcut whose

I believe it's now called Indigenous Windows.

>target is either
> cmd /c c:\batch\dosomething.bat
>or
> cmd /k c:\batch\dosomething.bat
>(The difference is that the first one's window closes when the batch
>file finishes, and the second's window stays open till you close it,
>either by typing exit on the command line or by clicking the X at the
>upper right of the window.)
>
>After Target in the shortcut dialog, you have a box for entering an
>optional shortcut key. Don't pick an often-used key sequence, like
>Ctrl+C! Pick something easy to type but not likely to be typed by
>accident, Ctrl+Alt+S for instance. (Don't type Ctrl+Alt+S, press
>those three keys together while the cursor is in the Shortcut Key
>box.)
>
>For the shortcut key to be effective, the shortcut must be either on
>your desktop or in your start menu.

Re: One keystroke runs a batch file

<u9rhuc$1hner$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=462&group=alt.msdos.batch#462

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 12:34:20 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:34 UTC

look at free https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/volumouse.html