"I prefer the blunted cudgels of the followers of the Serpent God." -- Sean Doran the Younger

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

SubjectAuthor
* Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBoris
+* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBig Al
|`- Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBig Al
+* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountKenW
|+- Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBoris
|`- Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountChar Jackson
|`* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBoris
| +* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBizarro Roy
| |`- Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBig Al
| `- Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountKenW
`* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountVanguardLH
 `* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountAdam H. Kerman
  +- Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountVanguardLH
  `* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBoris
   `* Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountAdam H. Kerman
    `- Re: Cancelling an Xfinity AccountBoris

1
Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<XnsAFDB8FC17F286nospaminvalidcom@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=448&group=alt.online-service.comcast#448

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Cancelling an Xfinity Account
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:07:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:07 UTC

I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity home
account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under contract. She
now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I need to cancel her
Xfinity account.

Apparently, I can't do that on line. The robotic assistant throws up all
sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store or get a
call back from a live person to cancel an account. The call back option
has been 'out of order' for days. Hmmm...

She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we use
our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the voice
hardware. I will eventually go to the nearby store to return equipment,
but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either online or by
phone.

Any comments?

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<u0fgmd$340q4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=449&group=alt.online-service.comcast#449

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 17:33:00 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:33 UTC

On 4/3/23 17:07, this is what Boris wrote:
> I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity home
> account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under contract. She
> now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I need to cancel her
> Xfinity account.
>
> Apparently, I can't do that on line. The robotic assistant throws up all
> sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store or get a
> call back from a live person to cancel an account. The call back option
> has been 'out of order' for days. Hmmm...
>
> She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we use
> our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the voice
> hardware. I will eventually go to the nearby store to return equipment,
> but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either online or by
> phone.
>
> Any comments?

I think packing up the equipment and taking to the store would solve all your issues. They should be able to do the
job. The only issue I could foresee is that you my not (maybe you do) have the right to cancel her account. Like no
power of attorney.
--
Al

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<ffhm2itlv6mbf65aj7euri63nr07lb1vd7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=450&group=alt.online-service.comcast#450

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 15:34:24 -0600
 by: KenW - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:34 UTC

On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:07:50 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
wrote:

>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity home
>account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under contract. She
>now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I need to cancel her
>Xfinity account.
>
>Apparently, I can't do that on line. The robotic assistant throws up all
>sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store or get a
>call back from a live person to cancel an account. The call back option
>has been 'out of order' for days. Hmmm...
>
>She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we use
>our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the voice
>hardware. I will eventually go to the nearby store to return equipment,
>but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either online or by
>phone.
>
>Any comments?

Have a bill ? for her account number. Bring the equipment to a store
and close it there.

KenW

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<u0fh11$340q4$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=451&group=alt.online-service.comcast#451

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 17:38:41 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:38 UTC

On 4/3/23 17:33, this is what Big Al wrote:
> On 4/3/23 17:07, this is what Boris wrote:
>> I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity home
>> account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years.  She is not under contract.  She
>> now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I need to cancel her
>> Xfinity account.
>>
>> Apparently, I can't do that on line.  The robotic assistant throws up all
>> sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store or get a
>> call back from a live person to cancel an account.  The call back option
>> has been 'out of order' for days.  Hmmm...
>>
>> She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we use
>> our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the voice
>> hardware.  I will eventually go to the nearby store to return equipment,
>> but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either online or by
>> phone.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
> I think packing up the equipment and taking to the store would solve all your issues.  They should be able to do the
> job.  The only issue I could foresee is that you my not (maybe you do) have the right to cancel her account.  Like no
> power of attorney.
Sorry, just saw you're comment that you are authorized to handle the account.
KenW +1
--
Al

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<XnsAFDB988BB65D9nospaminvalidcom@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=452&group=alt.online-service.comcast#452

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:59:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:59 UTC

KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote
in news:ffhm2itlv6mbf65aj7euri63nr07lb1vd7@4ax.com:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:07:50 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity
>>home account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under
>>contract. She now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I
>>need to cancel her Xfinity account.
>>
>>Apparently, I can't do that on line. The robotic assistant throws up
>>all sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store
>>or get a call back from a live person to cancel an account. The call
>>back option has been 'out of order' for days. Hmmm...
>>
>>She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we
>>use our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the
>>voice hardware. I will eventually go to the nearby store to return
>>equipment, but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either
>>online or by phone.
>>
>>Any comments?
>
> Have a bill ? for her account number. Bring the equipment to a store
> and close it there.
>

> KenW

Sure do.

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<iqim2idapd19m71dm2jlgo3ghbngt3sdf1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=453&group=alt.online-service.comcast#453

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 16:59:59 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:59 UTC

wrote:

>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity home
>account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under contract. She
>now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I need to cancel her
>Xfinity account.

Is that a legal authorization or simply a verbal authorization? When you
show up at a Comcast store to close the account and return the
equipment, they may want to see something that says you're really
authorized to make those changes.

>Apparently, I can't do that on line. The robotic assistant throws up all
>sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store or get a
>call back from a live person to cancel an account. The call back option
>has been 'out of order' for days. Hmmm...
>
>She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we use
>our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the voice
>hardware. I will eventually go to the nearby store to return equipment,
>but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either online or by
>phone.
>
>Any comments?

I'd skip the online/phone options and gather up any equipment and head
to the nearest Comcast store. You'll want to get hard copy receipts for
everything you turn in. There are plenty of stories about getting billed
for non-return of equipment that has been returned.

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<XnsAFDB9A5A6A536nospaminvalidcom@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=454&group=alt.online-service.comcast#454

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 22:10:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 22:10 UTC

Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote in

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:07:50 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity
>>home account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under
>>contract. She now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I
>>need to cancel her Xfinity account.
>
> Is that a legal authorization or simply a verbal authorization? When
> you show up at a Comcast store to close the account and return the
> equipment, they may want to see something that says you're really
> authorized to make those changes.

Authorization was made almost 10 years ago, over the phone. Comcast
asked to speak to the account holder to make the authorization, and
asked the account holder to verify birthdate, last four ssn, etc. I
thought it was all too easy, but has let me make changes for years. Who
knows if this will carry weight for cancellation. Comcast is really
unpredictable.

>>Apparently, I can't do that on line. The robotic assistant throws up
>>all sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store
>>or get a call back from a live person to cancel an account. The call
>>back option has been 'out of order' for days. Hmmm...
>>
>>She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we
>>use our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the
>>voice hardware. I will eventually go to the nearby store to return
>>equipment, but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either
>>online or by phone.
>>
>>Any comments?
>
> I'd skip the online/phone options and gather up any equipment and head
> to the nearest Comcast store. You'll want to get hard copy receipts
> for everything you turn in. There are plenty of stories about getting
> billed for non-return of equipment that has been returned.

I've got all @Home, ATTBI, Comcast, etc. receipts going back to 1999.
I did once return hardware by mail (never again), but Comcast said they
never received it, even though I had receipts from Comcast that they did
receive the equiopment. They eventually gave in.

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<030420231833377565%roy@roy.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=455&group=alt.online-service.comcast#455

From: roy...@roy.com (Bizarro Roy)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 18:33:37 -0400
 by: Bizarro Roy - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 22:33 UTC

In article <XnsAFDB9A5A6A536nospaminvalidcom@88.198.57.247>, Boris
<nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

> Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote in
>
> > On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:07:50 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity
> >>home account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under
> >>contract. She now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I
> >>need to cancel her Xfinity account.
> >
> > Is that a legal authorization or simply a verbal authorization? When
> > you show up at a Comcast store to close the account and return the
> > equipment, they may want to see something that says you're really
> > authorized to make those changes.
>
> Authorization was made almost 10 years ago, over the phone. Comcast
> asked to speak to the account holder to make the authorization, and
> asked the account holder to verify birthdate, last four ssn, etc. I
> thought it was all too easy, but has let me make changes for years. Who
> knows if this will carry weight for cancellation. Comcast is really
> unpredictable.
>

> >>Apparently, I can't do that on line. The robotic assistant throws up
> >>all sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store
> >>or get a call back from a live person to cancel an account. The call
> >>back option has been 'out of order' for days. Hmmm...
> >>
> >>She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we
> >>use our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the
> >>voice hardware. I will eventually go to the nearby store to return
> >>equipment, but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either
> >>online or by phone.
> >>
> >>Any comments?
> >
> > I'd skip the online/phone options and gather up any equipment and head
> > to the nearest Comcast store. You'll want to get hard copy receipts
> > for everything you turn in. There are plenty of stories about getting
> > billed for non-return of equipment that has been returned.
>
> I've got all @Home, ATTBI, Comcast, etc. receipts going back to 1999.
> I did once return hardware by mail (never again), but Comcast said they
> never received it, even though I had receipts from Comcast that they did
> receive the equiopment. They eventually gave in.

I had Comcast in NYC. Called and canceled when I moved here to
Maryland. They continued to bill me for months (the bills were
forwarded here), and nothing I said or did seemed to persuade Comcast
that I no longer lived in NYC and had canceled service. I finally got
it all reversed when I wrote the president of Comcast and enclosed one
of the forwarded letters, which had USPS forwarding stamps and so forth
on it. I think the past due was well over $300 when they finally
relented.

That kind of thing must happen a lot.

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<l0mm2i5909c93cjecqnsfpqgoiep50g95g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=456&group=alt.online-service.comcast#456

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 16:51:24 -0600
 by: KenW - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 22:51 UTC

Century Link does the same thing. Save receipt from shipping forever

>I've got all @Home, ATTBI, Comcast, etc. receipts going back to 1999.
>I did once return hardware by mail (never again), but Comcast said they
>never received it, even though I had receipts from Comcast that they did
>receive the equiopment. They eventually gave in.

KenW

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<u0g318$3981n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=457&group=alt.online-service.comcast#457

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 22:45:59 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 02:45 UTC

On 4/3/23 18:33, this is what Bizarro Roy wrote:
> In article <XnsAFDB9A5A6A536nospaminvalidcom@88.198.57.247>, Boris
> <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote in

>>> Is that a legal authorization or simply a verbal authorization? When
>>> you show up at a Comcast store to close the account and return the
>>> equipment, they may want to see something that says you're really
>>> authorized to make those changes.
>>
>> Authorization was made almost 10 years ago, over the phone. Comcast
>> asked to speak to the account holder to make the authorization, and
>> asked the account holder to verify birthdate, last four ssn, etc. I
>> thought it was all too easy, but has let me make changes for years. Who
>> knows if this will carry weight for cancellation. Comcast is really
>> unpredictable.

>>> I'd skip the online/phone options and gather up any equipment and head
>>> to the nearest Comcast store. You'll want to get hard copy receipts
>>> for everything you turn in. There are plenty of stories about getting
>>> billed for non-return of equipment that has been returned.
>>
>> I've got all @Home, ATTBI, Comcast, etc. receipts going back to 1999.
>> I did once return hardware by mail (never again), but Comcast said they
>> never received it, even though I had receipts from Comcast that they did
>> receive the equiopment. They eventually gave in.
>

> I had Comcast in NYC. Called and canceled when I moved here to
> Maryland. They continued to bill me for months (the bills were
> forwarded here), and nothing I said or did seemed to persuade Comcast
> that I no longer lived in NYC and had canceled service. I finally got
> it all reversed when I wrote the president of Comcast and enclosed one
> of the forwarded letters, which had USPS forwarding stamps and so forth
> on it. I think the past due was well over $300 when they finally
> relented.
>
> That kind of thing must happen a lot.
We cancelled Verizon in 2016 and got a $0.00 bill from them for about 4 years if not more.
They just wouldn't cancel the account. We even sent them a check for $0 to close the account. They have wasted so much
money on postage over the past 5-6 years.

--
Al

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<u0g78o$39pvd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=458&group=alt.online-service.comcast#458

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 03:58:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 03:58 UTC

KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:07:50 -0000 (UTC), Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

>>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity home
>>account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under contract. She
>>now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I need to cancel her
>>Xfinity account.

>>Apparently, I can't do that on line. The robotic assistant throws up all
>>sorts of roadblocks, such that one has to either go to the store or get a
>>call back from a live person to cancel an account. The call back option
>>has been 'out of order' for days. Hmmm...

>>She rents all equipment, which includes a modem (not a gateway, as we use
>>our own wifi router) an X1 TV main box, a second TV box, and the voice
>>hardware. I will eventually go to the nearby store to return equipment,
>>but in the meantime, I'd like to close the account either online or by
>>phone.

>>Any comments?

>Have a bill ? for her account number. Bring the equipment to a store
>and close it there.

Also, make sure they put on record that all service ended as of the
first time you tried to contact customer service, because you want the
service cancellation backdated. Don't forget to ask for credits given
the number of unsuccessful tries.

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<1jpjml2qi4pxb.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=459&group=alt.online-service.comcast#459

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 23:39:17 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 04:39 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

> I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity
> home account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under
> contract. She now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I
> need to cancel her Xfinity account.

That also means losing her e-mail account at Comcast. She doesn't get
any e-mails sent to there? Not sure if the loss of the e-mail service
is immediate when closing the account, but I doubt you get to keep her
Comcast e-mail address for long after closing her account. Log under
her account and enable auto-forward of e-mail to point at your e-mail
address (and then test to ensure it works).

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<u0h2f8$3dh5g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=460&group=alt.online-service.comcast#460

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 11:42:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 11:42 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

>>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity
>>home account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under
>>contract. She now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I
>>need to cancel her Xfinity account.

>That also means losing her e-mail account at Comcast. She doesn't get
>any e-mails sent to there? Not sure if the loss of the e-mail service
>is immediate when closing the account, but I doubt you get to keep her
>Comcast e-mail address for long after closing her account. Log under
>her account and enable auto-forward of e-mail to point at your e-mail
>address (and then test to ensure it works).

None of this is correct.

If his mother-in-law checked email via the Comcast Web interface within
90 days prior to cancelling the account, the email address will not be
purged. Thereafter, it must be accessed once every nine months. Same is
true for secondary email addresses; each must be accessed separately.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<11grlziv74u3w$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=461&group=alt.online-service.comcast#461

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 09:14:31 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 14:14 UTC

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity
>>>home account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under
>>>contract. She now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I
>>>need to cancel her Xfinity account.
>
>>That also means losing her e-mail account at Comcast. She doesn't get
>>any e-mails sent to there? Not sure if the loss of the e-mail service
>>is immediate when closing the account, but I doubt you get to keep her
>>Comcast e-mail address for long after closing her account. Log under
>>her account and enable auto-forward of e-mail to point at your e-mail
>>address (and then test to ensure it works).
>
> None of this is correct.
>
> If his mother-in-law checked email via the Comcast Web interface within
> 90 days prior to cancelling the account, the email address will not be
> purged. Thereafter, it must be accessed once every nine months. Same is
> true for secondary email addresses; each must be accessed separately.
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only

Seem contradictory that after the account has been cancelled that you
can still access services. Guess they let you keep your login as long
as you keep it alive. The OP gets to be the guinea pig testing their
statement.

You confirmed my suspicion, but gave a possible expiration when the
Comcast e-mail account disappears. So, has his mother-in-law accessed
her e-mail account within the 3 months prior to when the OP kills her
account? Is 9 months a long time for you if you've relied on your
Comcast e-mail address for years?

If the OP just goes ahead now to kill the account, the e-mail address
could very well die, too. So, regardless of when the e-mail service
gets killed, the OP must take actions BEFORE killing the account, like
logging in as his mother-in-law using Comcast's webmail client.
Thereafter, the OP will need a reminder at 9 months, or less, to keep
alive the account.

If the OP already killed the account, too late to ensure it was accessed
within 3 months before.

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<XnsAFE28F2AD35E8nospaminvalidcom@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=462&group=alt.online-service.comcast#462

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:04:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:04 UTC

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote in news:u0h2f8$3dh5g$1@dont-
email.me:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>>I am authorized to, and have been, handling my mother-in-law's Xfinity
>>>home account (internet/TV/voice) for 10 years. She is not under
>>>contract. She now has to leave home for a board and care home, so I
>>>need to cancel her Xfinity account.
>
>>That also means losing her e-mail account at Comcast. She doesn't get
>>any e-mails sent to there? Not sure if the loss of the e-mail service
>>is immediate when closing the account, but I doubt you get to keep her
>>Comcast e-mail address for long after closing her account. Log under
>>her account and enable auto-forward of e-mail to point at your e-mail
>>address (and then test to ensure it works).
>
> None of this is correct.
>
> If his mother-in-law checked email via the Comcast Web interface within
> 90 days prior to cancelling the account, the email address will not be
> purged. Thereafter, it must be accessed once every nine months. Same is
> true for secondary email addresses; each must be accessed separately.
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only

Hi, Adam,

Yes, you are correct.

I returned equipment and closed the account today, in person. It was not
surprising that the counter person didn't know the policy for what
happens to an email account when the Comcast account is closed. I was
told that I had to log into the email account every day (he later said
once in a while) to keep the email account active, but that at the end of
30 days, the email account would be inactive. He mentioned nothing about
logging in 90 days prior to cancelling the Comcast account.

The Comcast account was under my father-in-law's name. There was only
one email address that both husband and wife used. (No need for separate
email accounts...married for 75 years.) It was used very little.

My father-in-law passed in early 2014. I 'administered' the account for
my mother-in-law ever since. Two days after Christmas, while still
living at home, she fell and broke her femur. After surgery, she went to
a skilled nursing facility. She passed away three days ago. She was two
months short of 100 years old.

When I went to Comcast to cancel the account, I took my father-in-law's
certified death certificate. I offered it up front, right away. The
certificate wasn't needed (below), but I just wanted to get in and out.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/account-holder-passed-away

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<u124j1$2bmt4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=463&group=alt.online-service.comcast#463

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 23:02:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 23:02 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>>That also means losing her e-mail account at Comcast. She doesn't get
>>>any e-mails sent to there? Not sure if the loss of the e-mail service
>>>is immediate when closing the account, but I doubt you get to keep her
>>>Comcast e-mail address for long after closing her account. Log under
>>>her account and enable auto-forward of e-mail to point at your e-mail
>>>address (and then test to ensure it works).

>>None of this is correct.

>>If his mother-in-law checked email via the Comcast Web interface within
>>90 days prior to cancelling the account, the email address will not be
>>purged. Thereafter, it must be accessed once every nine months. Same is
>>true for secondary email addresses; each must be accessed separately.

>>https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only

>Hi, Adam,

>Yes, you are correct.

I'm glad Comcast did what it said it would do in practice.

>I returned equipment and closed the account today, in person. It was not
>surprising that the counter person didn't know the policy for what
>happens to an email account when the Comcast account is closed. I was
>told that I had to log into the email account every day (he later said
>once in a while) to keep the email account active, but that at the end of
>30 days, the email account would be inactive. He mentioned nothing about
>logging in 90 days prior to cancelling the Comcast account.

>The Comcast account was under my father-in-law's name. There was only
>one email address that both husband and wife used. (No need for separate
>email accounts...married for 75 years.) It was used very little.

The problem is phone numbers and email addresses are used in on line
profiles that just never go away. We all have to keep every phone number
and every email address we ever used to protect are own privacy and to
help mitigate against identity theft using these old credentials.

>My father-in-law passed in early 2014. I 'administered' the account for
>my mother-in-law ever since. Two days after Christmas, while still
>living at home, she fell and broke her femur. After surgery, she went to
>a skilled nursing facility. She passed away three days ago. She was two
>months short of 100 years old.

I'm so sorry.

>When I went to Comcast to cancel the account, I took my father-in-law's
>certified death certificate. I offered it up front, right away. The
>certificate wasn't needed (below), but I just wanted to get in and out.

>https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/account-holder-passed-away

Re: Cancelling an Xfinity Account

<XnsAFE2BD2DB904Bnospaminvalidcom@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=464&group=alt.online-service.comcast#464

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 01:35:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 01:35 UTC

> Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

>>>None of this is correct.
>
>>>If his mother-in-law checked email via the Comcast Web interface
>>>within 90 days prior to cancelling the account, the email address
>>>will not be purged. Thereafter, it must be accessed once every nine
>>>months. Same is true for secondary email addresses; each must be
>>>accessed separately.
>
>>>https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only
>
>>Hi, Adam,
>
>>Yes, you are correct.
>
> I'm glad Comcast did what it said it would do in practice.
>
>>I returned equipment and closed the account today, in person. It was
>>not surprising that the counter person didn't know the policy for what
>>happens to an email account when the Comcast account is closed. I was
>>told that I had to log into the email account every day (he later said
>>once in a while) to keep the email account active, but that at the end
>>of 30 days, the email account would be inactive. He mentioned nothing
>>about logging in 90 days prior to cancelling the Comcast account.
>
>>The Comcast account was under my father-in-law's name. There was only
>>one email address that both husband and wife used. (No need for
>>separate email accounts...married for 75 years.) It was used very
>>little.
>
> The problem is phone numbers and email addresses are used in on line
> profiles that just never go away.

Exactly right.

We all have to keep every phone number
> and every email address we ever used to protect are own privacy and to
> help mitigate against identity theft using these old credentials.

I do exactly that.

>>My father-in-law passed in early 2014. I 'administered' the account
>>for my mother-in-law ever since. Two days after Christmas, while
>>still living at home, she fell and broke her femur. After surgery,
>>she went to a skilled nursing facility. She passed away three days
>>ago. She was two months short of 100 years old.
>
> I'm so sorry.

Thank you.