The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: "take out the trash"

SubjectAuthor
* "take out the trash"Norm Why
+* Re: "take out the trash"Norm Why
|`* Re: "take out the trash"VanguardLH
| `* Re: "take out the trash"Paul
|  `* Re: "take out the trash"VanguardLH
|   +- Re: "take out the trash"Carlos E.R.
|   `* Re: "take out the trash"Mayayana
|    `* Re: "take out the trash"Paul
|     `* Re: "take out the trash"Mayayana
|      +* Re: "take out the trash"Paul
|      |`* Re: "take out the trash"Mayayana
|      | `- Re: "take out the trash"Paul
|      `- Re: "take out the trash"nospam
`- Re: "take out the trash"VanguardLH

1
"take out the trash"

<s9unqu$b71$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46016&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46016

From: nob...@microsoft.com (Norm Why)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: "take out the trash"
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:12:16 -0700
 by: Norm Why - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 04:12 UTC

Google has become extremely offensive. I got a message "take out the trash"
on my phone and tablet. I have already taken out the trash. Google created
this nonsense but it provided no idea of how to turn it off. Not funny
Google!

If there was a real Government somewhere, this cyberabuse would lead to
charges and fines.

Re: "take out the trash"

<s9uol6$jbu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46018&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46018

From: nob...@microsoft.com (Norm Why)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: "take out the trash"
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:26:11 -0700
 by: Norm Why - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 04:26 UTC

> Google has become extremely offensive. I got a message "take out the
> trash" on my phone and tablet. I have already taken out the trash. Google
> created this nonsense but it provided no idea of how to turn it off. Not
> funny Google!
>
> If there was a real Government somewhere, this cyberabuse would lead to
> charges and fines.

It began with the Google Calendar app. Real offensive. It's Google's way of
advertising a new app feature.

Re: "take out the trash"

<18k8fpddkeazk$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46020&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46020

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 00:20:16 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 05:20 UTC

Norm Why <nobody@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Google has become extremely offensive. I got a message "take out the
> trash" on my phone and tablet.

You are running Windows 10, the topic of THIS newsgroup, on your phone
and tablet?

> I have already taken out the trash.

How? Or is it a secret?

> Google created this nonsense but it provided no idea of how to turn
> it off. Not funny Google!

If you wish help, then pose your article as a question -- and provide
*details*. So far, all we see you doing here is your unfocused ranting.

Google is a company. You never bothered to mention which of their
services or programs you are whining about. Just what does Google have
to do with the disk cleanup wizard or Storage Sense in Windows 10?

> If there was a real Government somewhere, this cyberabuse would lead to
> charges and fines.

Ah, still living with your parents who protect you and pay for
everything. Didn't realize someone pointed a gun at your head to force
you to install some Google software on your smartphone that is running
Windows 10 (to be on-topic here).

Re: "take out the trash"

<n7v4570ee5sr$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46023&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46023

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 00:38:55 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 05:38 UTC

Norm Why <nobody@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> Google <something> says "take out the trash" on my phone and tablet

Those devices must be running Windows 10 to be on-topic here. You sure
your phone and tablet aren't running Android or iOS?

> It began with the Google Calendar app. Real offensive. It's Google's
> way of advertising a new app feature.

Hmm, just *WHERE* did you find in Microsoft's Store a UWP (Universal
Windows Platform) calendaring app for Windows 10 that is authored by
/_Google_/?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/shop/apps?q=calendar

Did not see any Windows 10 calendar app that is authored by Google.

This newsgroup discusses topics related to Windows 10. If your phone
and tablet are running Android, go /ask for help/ in the Android
newsgroup (comp.mobile.android). If your phone and tablet are running
iOS, go /ask for help/ in one of the Apple newsgroups.

Did you add a [recurring] event in some calendaring app to remind you to
take out your trash carts for curbside pickup?

Re: "take out the trash"

<s9uukh$18e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46024&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46024

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 02:08:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 06:08 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Norm Why <nobody@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>> Google <something> says "take out the trash" on my phone and tablet
>
> Those devices must be running Windows 10 to be on-topic here. You sure
> your phone and tablet aren't running Android or iOS?
>
>> It began with the Google Calendar app. Real offensive. It's Google's
>> way of advertising a new app feature.
>
> Hmm, just *WHERE* did you find in Microsoft's Store a UWP (Universal
> Windows Platform) calendaring app for Windows 10 that is authored by
> /_Google_/?
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/shop/apps?q=calendar
>
> Did not see any Windows 10 calendar app that is authored by Google.
>
> This newsgroup discusses topics related to Windows 10. If your phone
> and tablet are running Android, go /ask for help/ in the Android
> newsgroup (comp.mobile.android). If your phone and tablet are running
> iOS, go /ask for help/ in one of the Apple newsgroups.
>
> Did you add a [recurring] event in some calendaring app to remind you to
> take out your trash carts for curbside pickup?

OMG. Too funny. I scroll down here, and there's a picture
of the "Take Out Trash" thing :-) It's like spotting a UFO.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224899/how-to-use-your-google-calendar-in-the-windows-10-calendar-app/

Paul

Re: "take out the trash"

<rb75wvxfaqnd.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46062&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46062

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:06:30 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:06 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Norm Why <nobody@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Google <something> says "take out the trash" on my phone and tablet
>>
>> Did you add a [recurring] event in some calendaring app to remind you to
>> take out your trash carts for curbside pickup?
>
> OMG. Too funny. I scroll down here, and there's a picture
> of the "Take Out Trash" thing :-) It's like spotting a UFO.
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/224899/how-to-use-your-google-calendar-in-the-windows-10-calendar-app/

I have a calendar reminder for trash to remind me to put the carts out
the night before the collection day (very early in the morning): one
reminder for Trash, one for Recycle, and another for Yard Waste (they
have different schedules). I hate jumping out of bed to take out the
carts as I hear the trucks rumble down the street, or miss the
collection and wonder where to store next week's trash. I'm used to
seeing popup(s) reminding me to "take out the trash". Maybe the OP did
the same thing.

Note that your article, and unlike the whining Norm, talks about
synchronizing the Windows 10 UWP Calendar app to your online Google
calendar: you add your Google Calendar account to the Win10 Calendar
app. There is no Google Calendar app for Win10. Norm was bitching
about the wrong app issuing the reminder, or he isn't using Win10 on his
phone and tablet, but is using Android or iOS for which there are Google
Calendar apps for those operating systems. Norm just vents and, so far,
isn't here to ask for help. Should he continue this behavior, I'll
consider him a troll.

Re: "take out the trash"

<b33hph-a5n.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46174&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46174

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:26:19 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:26 UTC

On 11/06/2021 20.06, VanguardLH wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> Did you add a [recurring] event in some calendaring app to remind you to
>>> take out your trash carts for curbside pickup?
>>
>> OMG. Too funny. I scroll down here, and there's a picture
>> of the "Take Out Trash" thing :-) It's like spotting a UFO.
>>
>> https://www.howtogeek.com/224899/how-to-use-your-google-calendar-in-the-windows-10-calendar-app/
>
> I have a calendar reminder for trash to remind me to put the carts out
> the night before the collection day (very early in the morning): one
> reminder for Trash, one for Recycle, and another for Yard Waste (they
> have different schedules). I hate jumping out of bed to take out the
> carts as I hear the trucks rumble down the street, or miss the
> collection and wonder where to store next week's trash. I'm used to
> seeing popup(s) reminding me to "take out the trash". Maybe the OP did
> the same thing.

Trash collection is daily over here. With our temperatures, waiting for
a week would create a pestilence.

Just saying :-D

> Note that your article, and unlike the whining Norm, talks about
> synchronizing the Windows 10 UWP Calendar app to your online Google
> calendar: you add your Google Calendar account to the Win10 Calendar
> app. There is no Google Calendar app for Win10. Norm was bitching
> about the wrong app issuing the reminder, or he isn't using Win10 on his
> phone and tablet, but is using Android or iOS for which there are Google
> Calendar apps for those operating systems. Norm just vents and, so far,
> isn't here to ask for help. Should he continue this behavior, I'll
> consider him a troll.

Thunderbird can also syncs to the Google Calendar. No Android needed,
but of course it requires a gmail/google account.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: "take out the trash"

<sa51nu$kea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46181&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46181

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 09:37:35 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 13:37 UTC

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote

| Should he continue this behavior, I'll
| consider him a troll.

Don't forget to set a reminder for that, after you finish
filling you pill dispenser for the week. :)

Re: "take out the trash"

<sa577c$mft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46184&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46184

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 11:11:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 15:11 UTC

Mayayana wrote:
> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote
>
> | Should he continue this behavior, I'll
> | consider him a troll.
>
> Don't forget to set a reminder for that, after you finish
> filling you pill dispenser for the week. :)

The conspiracy theories fit on a sliding scale.

*******

For example, this week, think of all the Superglue
and Acetone, being wasted "sticking pots and pans
to yer forehead". Just don't get it on your
eyelashes, m'kay?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/06/10/ohio-doctor-claims-covid-19-vaccine-magnetizes-people-makes-keys-stick-on-forehead/?sh=22cf8ab42a34

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/magnets-covid-vaccine/

This is what happens when Ohio young people
watch too much Wile E Coyote vs Roadrunner.
They grow up to be doctors.

Back when I was in uni, you could go down to
the TV room in the student union, at 10AM in
the morning, and there'd be a hundred people
in the room, watching... Sesame Street. But
today, those same students can "count like
the dickens". And they know what "near"
and "far" are. There's no way a magnet
would stick to any of them.

Paul

Re: "take out the trash"

<sa5dlu$3si$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46188&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46188

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 13:01:19 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 17:01 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

| https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/magnets-covid-vaccine/
| | This is what happens when Ohio young people
| watch too much Wile E Coyote vs Roadrunner.
| They grow up to be doctors.
| | Back when I was in uni, you could go down to
| the TV room in the student union, at 10AM in
| the morning, and there'd be a hundred people
| in the room, watching... Sesame Street. But
| today, those same students can "count like
| the dickens". And they know what "near"
| and "far" are. There's no way a magnet
| would stick to any of them.

I don't know... that's a lot of tuition money to spend on a
degree in "near and far". Do they get good jobs giving
directions to Waze-addicts whose phones have gone dead?

In a way I'm not so surprised about
the magnet-crazed MD. More educated people are arguably
more prone to such things than working class people, because
they see knowledge and truth as orthodox, official things. And
they've been so busy studying that there's been little time for
common sense learning. Present it to them in the right way
and they'll believe it.

There was another good example of that last week with the
Wuhan issue. I remember "world famous experts" proclaiming
that COVID couldn't have come from a lab. Now it's the other
way around. Only the politics have changed. They're the same
people who swore up and down, in March 2020, that masks were
actually less safe than not wearing masks. I watched an ER doctor
from NYC explain it in a video. :) And they'll all swear that science
is "objective".

Re: "take out the trash"

<sa5hva$9ku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46189&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46189

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 14:15:05 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 18:15 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> I don't know... that's a lot of tuition money to spend on a
> degree in "near and far". Do they get good jobs giving
> directions to Waze-addicts whose phones have gone dead?
>
> In a way I'm not so surprised about
> the magnet-crazed MD. More educated people are arguably
> more prone to such things than working class people, because
> they see knowledge and truth as orthodox, official things. And
> they've been so busy studying that there's been little time for
> common sense learning. Present it to them in the right way
> and they'll believe it.
>
> There was another good example of that last week with the
> Wuhan issue. I remember "world famous experts" proclaiming
> that COVID couldn't have come from a lab. Now it's the other
> way around. Only the politics have changed. They're the same
> people who swore up and down, in March 2020, that masks were
> actually less safe than not wearing masks. I watched an ER doctor
> from NYC explain it in a video. :) And they'll all swear that science
> is "objective".

But that's not science though, is it ?

That's politics.

Science would have been leaving the lab intact,
and sealing it from modification. Then entering the
lab, taking PCR samples, amplifying, and fitting
them into the known genetic drift map assembled
so far. To determine if the samples fit at the
beginning of the chain, or somewhere later in the
chain. The lab was quickly destroyed, to prevent
any such forensics.

Paul

Re: "take out the trash"

<130620211532118941%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46192&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46192

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 15:32:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 19:32 UTC

In article <sa5dlu$3si$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> There was another good example of that last week with the
> Wuhan issue. I remember "world famous experts" proclaiming
> that COVID couldn't have come from a lab.

a lab leak is extremely unlikely based on the genetics of the virus and
substantial amounts of other data.

in other words, all of the evidence points to a natural origin and none
points to a lab leak.

> Now it's the other
> way around. Only the politics have changed.

yep, however, the science remains the same.

unfortunately, there are a lot of anti-science nutjobs, some of whom
are well beyond help and come up with some crazy shit, such as the
'doctor' who testified in front of the ohio health committee that the
vaccine magnetizes people causing forks to stick to them.

> They're the same
> people who swore up and down, in March 2020, that masks were
> actually less safe than not wearing masks.

nobody said wearing masks were less safe than wearing masks.

originally, it was thought sars-cov2 was assumed to be like other
viruses, where people are contagious *after* they show symptoms.
although wearing masks would still help, the benefit was deemed to be
too small for everyone to do so.

after more research, virologists realized that was not the case, with
asymptomatic spread being a significant factor, estimated to be 40-50%
of all cases.

people who had no symptoms at all (or very mild) and therefore no
reason to stay home were actually carriers and spreading the virus
without even realizing it.

at that point, it became clear that masks were important in reducing
the spread.

that's how science works. you learn new facts and update the response.

> I watched an ER doctor
> from NYC explain it in a video. :) And they'll all swear that science
> is "objective".

science is objective. politics is not.

unfortunately, there are a lot of people who dispute science and
believe the myths.

Re: "take out the trash"

<sa5oui$q08$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46193&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46193

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:13:35 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 20:13 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

| > There was another good example of that last week with the
| > Wuhan issue. I remember "world famous experts" proclaiming
| > that COVID couldn't have come from a lab. Now it's the other
| > way around. Only the politics have changed. They're the same
| > people who swore up and down, in March 2020, that masks were
| > actually less safe than not wearing masks. I watched an ER doctor
| > from NYC explain it in a video. :) And they'll all swear that science
| > is "objective".
| | But that's not science though, is it ?
| | That's politics.
| | Science would have been leaving the lab intact,
| and sealing it from modification. Then entering the
| lab, taking PCR samples, amplifying, and fitting
| them into the known genetic drift map assembled
| so far. To determine if the samples fit at the
| beginning of the chain, or somewhere later in the
| chain. The lab was quickly destroyed, to prevent
| any such forensics.
| Yes, that's how the Chinese blocked scientific inquiry.
But back western scientists were not complaining about
that a year ago. They were claiming the evidence was
clear for pangolins.

Re: "take out the trash"

<sa5upd$ui1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46200&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46200

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 17:53:48 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 21:53 UTC

Mayayana wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote
>
> | > There was another good example of that last week with the
> | > Wuhan issue. I remember "world famous experts" proclaiming
> | > that COVID couldn't have come from a lab. Now it's the other
> | > way around. Only the politics have changed. They're the same
> | > people who swore up and down, in March 2020, that masks were
> | > actually less safe than not wearing masks. I watched an ER doctor
> | > from NYC explain it in a video. :) And they'll all swear that science
> | > is "objective".
> |
> | But that's not science though, is it ?
> |
> | That's politics.
> |
> | Science would have been leaving the lab intact,
> | and sealing it from modification. Then entering the
> | lab, taking PCR samples, amplifying, and fitting
> | them into the known genetic drift map assembled
> | so far. To determine if the samples fit at the
> | beginning of the chain, or somewhere later in the
> | chain. The lab was quickly destroyed, to prevent
> | any such forensics.
> |
> Yes, that's how the Chinese blocked scientific inquiry.
> But back western scientists were not complaining about
> that a year ago. They were claiming the evidence was
> clear for pangolins.

A certain amount of what the "science" reported at first,
was based on history. The historical record of previous
events. Including the information on fomite transmission.
The fomite "information" was based on previous research
and not for precisely the same pest. Thus it overestimated
the need to clean surfaces. The field record so far,
does not seem to indicate the same survivability of the
virus on surfaces. Now, I don't plan on licking the
counter at the bank as a means of experiment, but
I'm willing to leave this topic of discussion alone.

Using extrapolation for reportage is all you can do, when
the research is not available.

On the other hand, the mRNA vaccines we got, they're thanks
to research programs (partial failures) that had started
previously. And a push was applied, to develop the lipid wrapper
for the current vaccine. There was a picture yesterday of the
dude who provided that, so he got some credit for it just
yesterday.

Paul