Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Pablo Picasso

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: old usb-wifi

SubjectAuthor
* New usb-wifibad sector
+* Re: New usb-wifiWilliam Unruh
|`* Re: New usb-wifigrinch
| `* Re: New usb-wifibad sector
|  `- Re: New usb-wifibad sector
+* Re: New usb-wifiCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: New usb-wifibad sector
| `* Re: New usb-wifiCarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: New usb-wifibad sector
|   `* Re: New usb-wifiCarlos E.R.
|    `- Re: New usb-wifibad sector
+- Re: New usb-wifiRobert
+* Re: New usb-wifiRobert
|`* Re: New usb-wifibad sector
| +- Re: New usb-wifiCarlos E.R.
| `* Re: old usb-wifibad sector
|  +* Re: old usb-wifibad sector
|  |`- Re: old usb-wifiAndrew
|  `- Re: old usb-wifibad sector
`* Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifibad sector
 +* Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifiCarlos E.R.
 |`* Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifibad sector
 | `- Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifiCarlos E.R.
 `- Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifibad sector

1
New usb-wifi

<q9Odnd5oPZBg3G78nZ2dnUU7-fHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=446&group=alt.os.linux.suse#446

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:08:13 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: New usb-wifi
 by: bad sector - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 01:08 UTC

lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
it doesn't seem to be in Leap-15.3 or TW

The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named

8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS

2 of them with an install.sh none of which work

errors end with:
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:1318: modules] Error 2

Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two
uninstalled modules none of which seem to be the
right number

r8168
rtl8812au

Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux
drivers which 'seems' to be true.

Re: New usb-wifi

<ssvq08$iid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=447&group=alt.os.linux.suse#447

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: New usb-wifi
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 04:04:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 04:04 UTC

On 2022-01-28, bad sector <forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov> wrote:

> lsusb:
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
> it doesn't seem to be in Leap-15.3 or TW
>
> The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named
>
> 8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS
>
> 2 of them with an install.sh none of which work
>
> errors end with:
> make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
> make: *** [Makefile:1318: modules] Error 2

That means you have to load the build file for your kernel. I do not
know how suse labels them, but on Mageia they are kernel-devel type
packages. It is trying to fold your driver in with the kernel so it
knows what ioctls to call to call stuff in the kernel. You do not have
that information on your system. You need it.

> Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two
> uninstalled modules none of which seem to be the
> right number
>
> r8168
> rtl8812au
>
> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux
> drivers which 'seems' to be true.

It comes with the source code for the drivers. You need to compile it to
make the drivers themselves. kernel internal numbers change from kernel to
kernel.
Your drivers need the right ones.

Re: New usb-wifi

<st0d9k$5cu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=448&group=alt.os.linux.suse#448

From: gri...@somewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:33:40 +0000
 by: grinch - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:33 UTC

On 28/01/2022 04:04, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2022-01-28, bad sector <forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov> wrote:
>>
>> lsusb:
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
>> it doesn't seem to be in Leap-15.3 or TW
>>
>> The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named
>>
>> 8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS
>>
>> 2 of them with an install.sh none of which work
>>
>> errors end with:
>> make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
>> make: *** [Makefile:1318: modules] Error 2
>
> That means you have to load the build file for your kernel. I do not
> know how suse labels them, but on Mageia they are kernel-devel type
> packages. It is trying to fold your driver in with the kernel so it
> knows what ioctls to call to call stuff in the kernel. You do not have
> that information on your system. You need it.
>

>> Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two
>> uninstalled modules none of which seem to be the
>> right number
>>
>> r8168
>> rtl8812au
>>
>> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux
>> drivers which 'seems' to be true.
>
> It comes with the source code for the drivers. You need to compile it to
> make the drivers themselves. kernel internal numbers change from kernel to
> kernel.
> Your drivers need the right ones.

I got a RTL8822BU usb wifi working with the below driver from the
OS download site. give it a try. If that's not the right one for your
device. try here https://software.opensuse.org/search

Yast cannot find it.

https://software.opensuse.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&baseproject=ALL&q=RTL8822BU

Re: New usb-wifi

<014dci-cri.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=449&group=alt.os.linux.suse#449

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:26:40 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:26 UTC

On 28/01/2022 02.08, bad sector wrote:

> lsusb:
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
> it doesn't seem to be in Leap-15.3 or TW
>
> The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named
>
> 8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS
>
> 2 of them with an install.sh none of which work
>
> errors end with:
> make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
> make: *** [Makefile:1318: modules] Error 2
>
> Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two
> uninstalled modules none of which seem to be the
> right number
>
> r8168
> rtl8812au
>
> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux
> drivers which 'seems' to be true.

This is a question you should ask at the openSUSE web forum or mail
list, better chances of reaching the experts. Someone may know about
this particular hardware. It is possible that you have to create an
official report at Bugzilla so that the kernel devs are aware of the
issue and include the drivers in the kernel itself.

I recommend you read "/usr/src/linux/README.SUSE" (package
kernel-devel-*.noarch), specifically the section on how to build modules.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: New usb-wifi

<kfudnXDmIckfm2n8nZ2dnUU7-IvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=450&group=alt.os.linux.suse#450

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 10:06:40 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:06 UTC

On 1/28/22 04:33, grinch wrote:
> On 28/01/2022 04:04, William Unruh wrote:
>> On 2022-01-28, bad sector <forgetski@postit_INVALID_.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> lsusb: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor
>>> Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey] How do I get the driver module
>>> 88x2bu.ko for this? it doesn't seem to be in Leap-15.3 or TW
>>>
>>> The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named
>>>
>>> 8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS
>>>

>>> 2 of them with an install.sh none of which work
>>>
>>> errors end with: make[1]: ***
>>> /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build: No such file or directory.
>>> Stop. make: *** [Makefile:1318: modules] Error 2
>>
>> That means you have to load the build file for your kernel. I do
>> not
>>
>> know how suse labels them, but on Mageia they are kernel-devel
>> type packages. It is trying to fold your driver in with the kernel
>> so it knows what ioctls to call to call stuff in the kernel. You
>> do not have
>>
>> that information on your system. You need it.
>>

>>> Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two uninstalled
>>> modules none of which seem to be the right number
>>>
>>> r8168 rtl8812au
>>>

>>> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux drivers
>>> which 'seems' to be true.
>>
>> It comes with the source code for the drivers. You need to compile
>> it to make the drivers themselves. kernel internal numbers change
>> from kernel to kernel. Your drivers need the right ones.
>
> I got a RTL8822BU usb wifi working with the below driver from the
> OS download site. give it a try. If that's not the right one for
> your device. try here https://software.opensuse.org/search

https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu

it's all here with a 1-click install for both Leap-15.3 and TW.
the two Suse systems on my machines. I'll try these tonight
.... then later figure out how2 on Artix, Devuan, and the new
Slackware.

Re: New usb-wifi

<YqmdnSQLVoUXl2n8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=451&group=alt.os.linux.suse#451

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 10:23:47 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:23 UTC

On 1/28/22 07:26, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 28/01/2022 02.08, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> lsusb: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor
>> Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>
>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this? it doesn't seem
>> to be in Leap-15.3 or TW
>>
>> The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named
>>
>> 8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS
>>

>> 2 of them with an install.sh none of which work
>>
>> errors end with: make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build:
>> No such file or directory. Stop. make: *** [Makefile:1318:
>> modules] Error 2
>>
>> Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two uninstalled
>> modules none of which seem to be the right number
>>
>> r8168 rtl8812au
>>
>> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux drivers
>> which 'seems' to be true.
>
> This is a question you should ask at the openSUSE web forum or mail
> list, better chances of reaching the experts.

I also have two of these minuscule TpLink RTL8188EUS type
real fingernail size usb tranceivers. The JUST WORK and I
never had to install anything. Leap-15.3 on my desktop box
started not detecting them anymore so I wrote to the mailing
list but never got a reply. It's the reason I bought the new
RTL88x2bu (I shouldn't have).

Just before the new one got delivered I tried one of these little
jobs on my laptop Leap-15.3 as well and saw that they worked
just fine so the prob couldn't be in Leap per-se. So I took a wild
shot and simply dd'd my laptop Leap-15.3 to the desktop. Problem
solved.

Now that I have this new one, I figure it must be more capable so
I might as well find a way to make it work too, or just give it away :-)

> I recommend you read "/usr/src/linux/README.SUSE" (package
> kernel-devel-*.noarch), specifically the section on how to build
> modules.

Re: New usb-wifi

<qdaeci-788.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=452&group=alt.os.linux.suse#452

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 00:22:02 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 23:22 UTC

On 28/01/2022 16.23, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/28/22 07:26, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 28/01/2022 02.08, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> lsusb: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor
>>> Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>>
>>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this? it doesn't seem
>>> to be in Leap-15.3 or TW
>>>
>>> The gizmo came with a driver package in folders named
>>>
>>> 8811AU, RTL8814AU and RTL81888192EUS
>>>

>>> 2 of them with an install.sh none of which work
>>>
>>> errors end with: make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.16.1-1-default/build:
>>> No such file or directory. Stop. make: *** [Makefile:1318:
>>> modules] Error 2
>>>
>>> Yast/Software search on 'realtek' coughs up two uninstalled
>>> modules none of which seem to be the right number
>>>
>>> r8168 rtl8812au
>>>
>>> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux drivers
>>> which 'seems' to be true.
>>
>> This is a question you should ask at the openSUSE web forum or mail
>> list, better chances of reaching the experts.
>
> I also have two of these minuscule TpLink RTL8188EUS type
> real fingernail size usb tranceivers. The JUST WORK and I
> never had to install anything. Leap-15.3 on my desktop box
> started not detecting them anymore so I wrote to the mailing
> list but never got a reply. It's the reason I bought the new
> RTL88x2bu (I shouldn't have).

I can't find any mail with the string "RTL8188" in them :-? (1)

IF that thing worked before and stopped working, the thing to do is
directly report in bugzilla.

(1): I find entries in the build logs. For example:

Subject: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2 Build 563.1 released!

- staging: rtl8188eu: Add device code for TP-Link TL-WN727N v5.21
(git-fixes).

Subject: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20210406 released!

- staging: rtl8188eu: prevent ->ssid overflow in rtw_wx_set_scan()
(bsc#1012628).

Subject: openSUSE-SU-2021:1977-1: important: Security update for the
Linux Kernel

- staging: rtl8188eu: fix potential memory corruption in
rtw_check_beacon_data() (git-fixes).

So there is indeed activity around that chip.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: New usb-wifi

<e_idnX8B_dzVBmn8nZ2dnUU7-I_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=453&group=alt.os.linux.suse#453

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 20:41:27 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 01:41 UTC

On 1/28/22 10:06, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/28/22 04:33, grinch wrote:

>>> That means you have to load the build file for your kernel. I do
>>> not
>>>
>>> know how suse labels them, but on Mageia they are kernel-devel
>>> type packages. It is trying to fold your driver in with the kernel
>>> so it knows what ioctls to call to call stuff in the kernel. You
>>> do not have
>>>
>>> that information on your system. You need it.

>>> It comes with the source code for the drivers. You need to compile
>>> it to make the drivers themselves. kernel internal numbers change
>>> from kernel to kernel. Your drivers need the right ones.
>>
>> I got a RTL8822BU usb wifi working with the below driver from the
>> OS download site. give it a try. If that's not the right one for
>> your device. try here https://software.opensuse.org/search
>
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu
>
> it's all here with a 1-click install for both Leap-15.3 and TW.
> the two Suse systems on my machines. I'll try these tonight
> ... then later figure out how2 on Artix, Devuan, and the new
> Slackware.

Except for brief excursions today was Tumbleweed day
so it's all installed and working. I hate monopolies so I
feel better now, between the two RTL usb-wifis I have
assured physical control of when my destop is/sn't on
line :-)

The Leap-15.3 line on that page has problems, next
Wednesday will be Leap-15.3 day here.

--
openSUSE Tumbleweed , Kernel=5.16.2-1-default on x86_64,
DM=sddm, DE=KDE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Re: New usb-wifi

<n-Kdnas-1_VXAGn8nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=454&group=alt.os.linux.suse#454

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 20:52:09 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 01:52 UTC

On 1/28/22 18:22, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 28/01/2022 16.23, bad sector wrote:

>>> This is a question you should ask at the openSUSE web forum or
>>> mail
>>>
>>> list, better chances of reaching the experts.
>>
>> I also have two of these minuscule TpLink RTL8188EUS type real
>> fingernail size usb tranceivers. The JUST WORK and I never had to
>> install anything. Leap-15.3 on my desktop box started not detecting
>> them anymore so I wrote to the mailing list but never got a reply.
>> It's the reason I bought the new RTL88x2bu (I shouldn't have).
>
> I can't find any mail with the string "RTL8188" in them :-? (1)
>
> IF that thing worked before and stopped working, the thing to do is
> directly report in bugzilla.
>
> (1): I find entries in the build logs. For example:
>
> Subject: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2 Build 563.1 released!
>
> - staging: rtl8188eu: Add device code for TP-Link TL-WN727N v5.21
>
> (git-fixes).
>
> Subject: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20210406 released!
>
> - staging: rtl8188eu: prevent ->ssid overflow in rtw_wx_set_scan()
> (bsc#1012628).
>
> Subject: openSUSE-SU-2021:1977-1: important: Security update for the
> Linux Kernel
>
> - staging: rtl8188eu: fix potential memory corruption in
>
> rtw_check_beacon_data() (git-fixes).
>
> So there is indeed activity around that chip.

I'm going to report what? That I dd'd a foreign partition and it's fixed?
All the above snags would appear to address bugs that the average
user (yours truly) wouldn' even be aware of, besides bugzilla is over
my paygrade.

https://i3.cpcache.com/merchandise/37_550x550_Front_Color-NA.jpg?AttributeValue=NA&c=False&region={%22name%22:%22FrontCenter%22,%22width%22:3.792654,%22height%22:4,%22alignment%22:%22MiddleCenter%22,%22orientation%22:0,%22dpi%22:200,%22crop_x%22:0,%22crop_y%22:0,%22crop_h%22:800,%22crop_w%22:800,%22scale%22:0,%22template%22:{%22id%22:42240183,%22params%22:{}}}&cid=PUartJBjiF/yg4FdKqiggQ==%20||%20EVk1Epy0PiE6UVkhlQGfOQ==

Re: New usb-wifi

<o4ufci-ict.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=455&group=alt.os.linux.suse#455

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 15:04:40 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 14:04 UTC

On 2022-01-29 02:52, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/28/22 18:22, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> I also have two of these minuscule TpLink RTL8188EUS type real
>>> fingernail size usb tranceivers. The JUST WORK and I never had to
>>> install anything. Leap-15.3 on my desktop box started not detecting
>>> them anymore so I wrote to the mailing list but never got a reply.
>>> It's the reason I bought the new RTL88x2bu (I shouldn't have).
>>
>> I can't find any mail with the string "RTL8188" in them :-? (1)
>>
>> IF that thing worked before and stopped working, the thing to do is
>> directly report in bugzilla.
>>
>> (1): I find entries in the build logs. For example:
>>
>> Subject: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2 Build 563.1 released!
>>
>> - staging: rtl8188eu: Add device code for TP-Link TL-WN727N v5.21
>>
>> (git-fixes).
>>
>> Subject: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20210406 released!
>>
>> - staging: rtl8188eu: prevent ->ssid overflow in rtw_wx_set_scan()
>> (bsc#1012628).
>>
>> Subject: openSUSE-SU-2021:1977-1: important: Security update for the
>> Linux Kernel
>>
>> - staging: rtl8188eu: fix potential memory corruption in
>>
>> rtw_check_beacon_data() (git-fixes).
>>
>> So there is indeed activity around that chip.
>
> I'm going to report what? That I dd'd a foreign partition and it's fixed?

What is the relationship between partitions and wifi? :-O

> All the above snags would appear to address bugs that the average
> user (yours truly) wouldn' even be aware of, besides bugzilla is over
> my paygrade.

No, it is not.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: New usb-wifi

<bLednTLJarJayGj8nZ2dnUU7-bfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=456&group=alt.os.linux.suse#456

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 09:56:53 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 14:56 UTC

On 1/29/22 09:04, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-01-29 02:52, bad sector wrote:

>>> I can't find any mail with the string "RTL8188" in them :-? (1)
>>>

>>> IF that thing worked before and stopped working, the thing to do
>>> is directly report in bugzilla.
>>>

>>> (1): I find entries in the build logs. For example:
>>>
>>> Subject: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.2 Build 563.1 released!
>>>

>>> - staging: rtl8188eu: Add device code for TP-Link TL-WN727N
>>> v5.21
>>>
>>> (git-fixes).
>>>

>>> Subject: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20210406 released!
>>>

>>> - staging: rtl8188eu: prevent ->ssid overflow in
>>> rtw_wx_set_scan()
>>>
>>> (bsc#1012628).
>>>

>>> Subject: openSUSE-SU-2021:1977-1: important: Security update for
>>> the
>>>
>>> Linux Kernel
>>>
>>> - staging: rtl8188eu: fix potential memory corruption in
>>>
>>> rtw_check_beacon_data() (git-fixes).
>>>
>>> So there is indeed activity around that chip.
>>
>> I'm going to report what? That I dd'd a foreign partition and it's
>> fixed?
>
> What is the relationship between partitions and wifi? :-O

that when my desktop Leap installation's wifi connection
bombed I had a choice of dd-recovery from either a week
old backup image of that same partitiin or directly from a
current operational installation partition on my laptop. I
chose the latter and it worked as the other option would
have worked, so any trace of any problem was at that point
only unlogged history.

>> All the above snags would appear to address bugs that the average
>> user (yours truly) wouldn' even be aware of, besides bugzilla is
>> over my paygrade.
>
> No, it is not.
>

> -- Cheers, Carlos.

Re: New usb-wifi

<j5m27qFlgopU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=457&group=alt.os.linux.suse#457

From: monst...@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:51:21 +0000
 by: Robert - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:51 UTC

On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:

> Got it on amazon, it's advertised as coming with Linux
> drivers which 'seems' to be true.

Would these links help at all?
<https://github.com/topics/rtl8811au>
<https://github.com/topics/rtl8814au>
<https://github.com/search?q=rtl8192>
<https://github.com/search?q=rtl8168>

Cheers,
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational

Re: New usb-wifi

<j5m2fgFlgopU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=458&group=alt.os.linux.suse#458

From: monst...@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:55:27 +0000
 by: Robert - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:55 UTC

On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:

> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?

A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
<https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>

Add the repo and install the driver.
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational
in order to prove that you care, or, indeed, why it should be necessary
to prove it at all." - Avon, Blake's 7

Re: New usb-wifi

<p8idnYl7LotIl2v8nZ2dnUU7-QvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=459&group=alt.os.linux.suse#459

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 22:49:40 -0500
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 03:49 UTC

On 1/29/22 18:55, Robert wrote:
> On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:
>
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
>> RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>
>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
>
> A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
> <https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>

Exactly, that's the one I cited earlier, and a simple look into
it showed that it did not cover Leap-15.3. I tried to install it
anyway but it was impossible.

Meanwhile I reverted to an even older backup for TS. This one
was made on Jan 2nd and I'm booted into it now, The old
RTL8188EUS still works. However I figurte that as soon as I
upgrade it will stop working (as it did last time).

So what I'm going to try is do some upgrading incrementally
avoiding anything that might have anything to do with wifi,
including kernel updates.
--
openSUSE Leap 15.3, Kernel=5.3.18-59.37-preempt on x86_64,
DM=sddm, DE=sle-Classic:GNOME, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Re: New usb-wifi

<s5gjci-076.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=460&group=alt.os.linux.suse#460

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 23:30:52 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 22:30 UTC

On 2022-01-30 04:49, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/29/22 18:55, Robert wrote:
>> On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
>>> RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>>
>>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
>>
>> A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
>> <https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>
>
> Exactly, that's the one I cited earlier, and a simple look into
> it showed that it did not cover Leap-15.3. I tried to install it
> anyway but it was impossible.
>
> Meanwhile I reverted to an even older backup for TS. This one
> was made on Jan 2nd and I'm booted into it now, The old
> RTL8188EUS still works. However I figurte that as soon as I
> upgrade it will stop working (as it did last time).

Well, it is your job to report the issue in Bugzilla. That's how things
are done.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: old usb-wifi

<NuednU-Xir6QxWr8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=461&group=alt.os.linux.suse#461

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 22:31:24 -0500
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: Re: old usb-wifi
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 03:31 UTC

On 1/29/22 22:49, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/29/22 18:55, Robert wrote:
>> On 28/01/2022 01:08, bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
>>> RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
>>>
>>> How do I get the driver module 88x2bu.ko for this?
>>
>> A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
>> <https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>
>
> Exactly, that's the one I cited earlier, and a simple look into
> it showed that it did not cover Leap-15.3. I tried to install it
> anyway but it was impossible.
>
> Meanwhile I reverted to an even older backup for TS. This one
> was made on Jan 2nd and I'm booted into it now, The old
> RTL8188EUS still works. However I figurte that as soon as I
> upgrade it will stop working (as it did last time).
>
> So what I'm going to try is do some upgrading incrementally
> avoiding anything that might have anything to do with wifi,
> including kernel updates.

So I did that, very incrementally, even doing a backup before upgrading
the kernel ..just in case. As the saying goes nothing happens to those
who are prepared, the wifi works just as well as it did two months ago.

> -- > openSUSE Leap 15.3, Kernel=5.3.18-59.37-preempt on x86_64,
> DM=sddm, DE=sle-Classic:GNOME, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Re: old usb-wifi

<ndudnfVSuYbPGmf8nZ2dnUU7-RudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=462&group=alt.os.linux.suse#462

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 08:29:54 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 13:29 UTC

On 1/30/22 22:31, bad sector wrote:

> So I did that, very incrementally, even doing a backup before upgrading
> the kernel ..just in case. As the saying goes nothing happens to those
> who are prepared, the wifi works just as well as it did two months ago.

fuck

--
Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera), Kernel=4.19.0-12-amd64 on x86_64,
DM=Unknown, DE=XFCE, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Re: old usb-wifi

<ste1jm$199i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=463&group=alt.os.linux.suse#463

From: Dou...@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 14:40:06 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 13:40 UTC

bad sector wrote:
> On 1/30/22 22:31, bad sector wrote:
>
>> So I did that, very incrementally, even doing a backup before upgrading
>> the kernel ..just in case. As the saying goes nothing happens to those
>> who are prepared, the wifi works just as well as it did two months ago.
>
> fuck

Or not, as the case may be?

Re: old usb-wifi

<v7idnZOj654Y32b8nZ2dnUU7-cWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=464&group=alt.os.linux.suse#464

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 21:48:35 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 02:48 UTC

On 1/30/22 22:31, bad sector wrote:
> On 1/29/22 22:49, bad sector wrote:

>>> A simple search on software.opensuse.org found:
>>> <https://software.opensuse.org/package/rtl88x2bu>
>>
>> Exactly, that's the one I cited earlier, and a simple look into
>> it showed that it did not cover Leap-15.3. I tried to install it
>> anyway but it was impossible.
>>
>> Meanwhile I reverted to an even older backup for TS. This one
>> was made on Jan 2nd and I'm booted into it now, The old
>> RTL8188EUS still works. However I figurte that as soon as I
>> upgrade it will stop working (as it did last time).
>>
>> So what I'm going to try is do some upgrading incrementally
>> avoiding anything that might have anything to do with wifi,
>> including kernel updates.
>
> So I did that, very incrementally, even doing a backup before upgrading
> the kernel ..just in case. As the saying goes nothing happens to those
> who are prepared, the wifi works just as well as it did two months ago.

The driver is in the kernel

reverted to kernel 5.3.18-150300.59.43.1
both rtl8188eu usb-wifis are working again

> > -- > openSUSE Leap 15.3, Kernel=5.3.18-59.37-preempt on x86_64,
>> DM=sddm, DE=sle-Classic:GNOME, ST=x11,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifi

<f--dncSyYKt6xpP_nZ2dnUU7-fnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=476&group=alt.os.linux.suse#476

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 09:29:56 -0500
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
Subject: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifi
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 14:29 UTC

Part of the problem, as far as I've been able to nail it,
are my two Sennheiser wifi headsets which compete
for frequency. My RTL8188EUS usb-fingernail transceivers
(of which it so happens I also have two) always show up
with lsusb but have not worked with Leap-15.3 for some
time now, not even with new installs! How can this be?????

They kinda 'went' gradually, could it be that they are
'losing it' although for some reason they still work
better with Tumbleweed (and I have never heard of
such a process anyway)?

Nor do I know to what extent they can work on varying
frequencies as those are set out by the wifi router,
but which AGAIN should be identical on Leap & TW.

And then there is THIS:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/what-do-i-do-when-there-is-wireless-signal-or-wifi-interference After doing the frequency hogging ritual referenced above, and plugging both the 81188 and the 88x2bu in under Tumbleweed (and 'connecting' to the 5g mode afforded by the 88x2bu) I got faultless operation on both usb wifi and the headset.

https://github.com/RinCat/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver/issues/94
which ALSO mentions the 81188gu's under Suse AND the
date is about right for when they started acting up on my Leap-15.3
"This driver should works through every official kernels, but
most users will use distribution modified kernels which I
cannot do much about that."

& THIS is no longer available:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/hardware/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/x86_64/rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20210519_k5.3.18_57-lp153.7.1.x86_64.rpm

So the problem is mostly on Leap-15.3 in that my 8188EUS's
just DON'T WORK ANYMORE while the 88x2BU drivers DON'T
EXIST.

Anyone know a chipset WITHOUT ANY such problems?

Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifi

<dlg4ei-ekq.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=477&group=alt.os.linux.suse#477

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifi
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 13:39:41 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 12:39 UTC

On 2022-02-17 15:29, bad sector wrote:

> & THIS is no longer available:
> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/hardware/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/x86_64/rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20210519_k5.3.18_57-lp153.7.1.x86_64.rpm

But you have another version there:

rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20220204_k5.3.18_57-lp153.2.1.x86_64.rpm
04-Feb-2022 18:21 4.1M

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifi

<k-OdnRziQ_Nk7o3_nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=478&group=alt.os.linux.suse#478

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 23:37:13 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 04:37 UTC

On 2/18/22 07:39, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-02-17 15:29, bad sector wrote:
>
>> & THIS is no longer available:
>>
>> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/hardware/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/x86_64/rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20210519_k5.3.18_57-lp153.7.1.x86_64.rpm
>>
> But you have another version there:
>
> rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20220204_k5.3.18_57-lp153.2.1.x86_64.rpm

that's a what, not a where; besides, whoever broke it should fix it :-)

anyway, install also requires equivalent 'ueficert' so I found that too
and tried on a 15.3 freshie:

Yast:
"nothing provides kernel-uname-r =..."
"nothing provides suse-kernel-rpm-scriptlets"

Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifi

<SsydnXWW7bJVm4z_nZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=479&group=alt.os.linux.suse#479

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 10:03:33 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 15:03 UTC

On 2/17/22 09:29, bad sector wrote:

> Anyone know a chipset WITHOUT ANY such problems?

this page lists best linux-usb-wifi for 2022:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/usb-wifi-adapter-linux/

I might go for the #3

The problem with those 'bigger' usb's is that removals/insertions
plus vibration tend to wear out the usb ports (my desktop set rattles
like a T-34 with a dropped track). On the other hand my two 8188's
are so small that removing them from little used ports requires pliers.

Re: Addendum ...Re: New usb-wifi

<g0c8ei-29n.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=480&group=alt.os.linux.suse#480

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:44:48 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 23:44 UTC

On 2022-02-19 05:37, bad sector wrote:
> On 2/18/22 07:39, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-02-17 15:29, bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> & THIS is no longer available:
>>>
>>> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Sauerland:/hardware/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/x86_64/rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20210519_k5.3.18_57-lp153.7.1.x86_64.rpm
>>>
>> But you have another version there:
>>
>> rtl8188eu-kmp-default-git20220204_k5.3.18_57-lp153.2.1.x86_64.rpm
>
> that's a what, not a where; besides, whoever broke it should fix it :-)

Where, is the exact same URL you posted above.

> anyway, install also requires equivalent 'ueficert' so I found that too
> and tried on a 15.3 freshie:
>
> Yast:
> "nothing provides kernel-uname-r =..."
> "nothing provides suse-kernel-rpm-scriptlets"

I can not interpret that without full data provided.

--
Cheers, Carlos.