From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Update doesn't
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 00:36:27 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:36 UTC

2021-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems
(KB5003637)
says Restart now
It tries to update and gives up and deletes the installation

I tried from there and 'update' and close from the Start buttom.
I get an option but only to to restart, but never to close and it does not
update in either case.

--
Jim S

Re: Update doesn't

<ij25n1Fhsr5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46344&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46344

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Update doesn't
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 18:55:13 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:55 UTC

On 2021-06-17 6:36 p.m., Jim S wrote:
> 2021-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems
> (KB5003637)
> says Restart now
> It tries to update and gives up and deletes the installation
>
> I tried from there and 'update' and close from the Start buttom.
> I get an option but only to to restart, but never to close and it does not
> update in either case.

I had to uninstall KB5003214 before i was able to install KB5003637 and
see if that works for you.

Rene

Re: Update doesn't

<hockj2m07we3.gqyb560k3mmz$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46352&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46352

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 09:40:36 +0100
 by: Jim S - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 08:40 UTC

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 18:55:13 -0500, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> On 2021-06-17 6:36 p.m., Jim S wrote:
>> 2021-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems
>> (KB5003637)
>> says Restart now
>> It tries to update and gives up and deletes the installation
>>
>> I tried from there and 'update' and close from the Start buttom.
>> I get an option but only to to restart, but never to close and it does not
>> update in either case.
>>

> I had to uninstall KB5003214 before i was able to install KB5003637 and
> see if that works for you.
>
> Rene

I don't have KB5003214 but I do have KB5003254
--
Jim S

Re: Update doesn't

<sai2dq$ucj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46356&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#46356

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 08:09:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 12:09 UTC

Jim S wrote:
> 2021-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems
> (KB5003637)
> says Restart now
> It tries to update and gives up and deletes the installation
>
> I tried from there and 'update' and close from the Start buttom.
> I get an option but only to to restart, but never to close and it does not
> update in either case.

Maybe that has something to do with News and Interests ("the Weather Icon").

There were reports, even here, of the right hand corner of the screen
getting screwed up when News and Interests was turned off. I can
find other reports of what look like memory issues of some sort.

Some possibilities:

1) A Windows Upgrade was already in queue and has screwed up
machine state. I don't know whether a reboot is guaranteed to
fix such things or not. This new scheme of Microsoft adds a measure of
asynchronism between Upgrades and Updates.

2) While the last three versions of Windows 10 have very similar
code bases, it's possible the WDDM graphics driver is different
between the three of them. You could try installing the latest
proprietary graphics driver in place of the generic inbox one
that Microsoft delivers.

The few web sites that had concocted "solutions", just apply
all permutations of update numbers and installer errors, then
trot out the usual "reset SoftwareDistribution folder" crap.
Which is not helpful in this case. Yours is failing on the
reboot.

If this was important to me, I would:

1) Repair Install using my Windows 2004 ISO file. I try to collect
at least one x86 and one x64 of each crappy upgrade, for these
occasions. The reason for not "going forward", is as a means
of continuing to concentrate on the issue. If you pave over it
with 21H1, the same update will attempt to come in, too, except
now you'll have a new set of symptoms. If the installation process
attempts to "download a newer version", tell it to piss off.
I'd tell you to pull the network cable to stop that, but we need
the network cable in case it stages newer graphics drivers.

2) After the OS is finished the repair install to 19xxx.1 or whatever,
it will next try to load the latest Cumulative on top of that.

3) Then you can check for updates after that, and see if their
latest attempt at driver sync is working better (maybe they will
install a later WDDM version of graphics driver or whatever).
It could be that the dependencies calculation today, will result
in a different machine state, than you're in right now. (Normally
that would not happen, as the idea is, a dependency calculation
should always cause you to arrive at the same final state. Barring
graphics drivers being blocked or something.)

The Repair Install keeps your files and User Programs. Cases where
it won't, would be if it needed to remove VirtualBox 5 for example.
And your current release won't be doing that, as that comes later.

You could also wait until the next Cumulative in July.

One other whiff I caught, is people are having 21H1 pulled
from their Update & Security screen by the current Windows updates.
There's some kind of slow rolling train wreck going on here,
but no idea what such a development means.

These developments could be related to Windows 11 preparations
in some way. And that's why the train is coming off the tracks.

On one of my installs, I let Windows Update do 21H1, but then
I took the DVD image and Repair Installed 21H1 over that, in an
attempt to at least stamp the files as if they were a consistent
set. It didn't seem to make any difference to machine state, no
improvement particularly.

You can use the Heidoc Download URL generator, to generate a URL to an
older version of Windows 10, to match what you've got.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

After selecting what you need, you can use "Copy Link" on the
right, then paste into your favorite browser. The URL should
contain a legit Microsoft link, which you can verify visually before
downloading. The "big" version of the ISO, is likely what
you'll be given, which may not fit on single layer DVD in the
x64 OS case. But for "Repair Install" purposes, where you right-click
the ISO and select "Mount" from the top of the context menu,
it doesn't really matter how big the ISO is. And if you needed
to put the ISO on a USB key, there's always Rufus. But with Rufus,
you have to decide whether you want legacy boot or you want UEFI boot,
as it "doesn't do hybrid" and support both at the same time. It supports
one of the other, as far as I know.

Anyway, in an emergency, that's a way of getting yourself some
materials to work with.

Do a backup of C: , in any case, so you don't make matters worse.
It may not look like you're in a bad place right now, but just
about anything can happen when the aroma of train wreck fills
the air. I keep my copy of Macrium 7 for times like this.

And have a think about any "unique" software you're running,
that could be doing this.

Paul