computers / comp.mobile.android / RCS chats

SubjectAuthor
* RCS chatsStan Brown
+- Re: RCS chatsAndy Burns
+* Re: RCS chatsBob Henson
|`* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
| `* Re: RCS chatsAndy Burns
|  `- Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
+- Re: RCS chatsKenW
+- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
+* Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
|+* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
||+* Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
|||`* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
||| +* Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
||| +* Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
||| `* Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
|||  +- Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
|||  `* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||   `* Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
|||    +* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||    |+* Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
|||    ||`* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||    || `* Re: RCS chatsAdrian
|||    ||  +- Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
|||    ||  `- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||    |+* Re: RCS chatsBob Henson
|||    ||+- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||    ||`* Re: RCS chatsDave Roya
|||    || +- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||    || `- Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
|||    |`* Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
|||    | `* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||    |  `* Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
|||    |   `- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||    `* Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
|||     +* Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
|||     |+* Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
|||     ||`- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||     |`- Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
|||     `* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||      `* Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
|||       `* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
|||        `- Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
||+- Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
||`- Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
|`* Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
| `* Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
|  `- Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
`* Re: RCS chatsStan Brown
 +* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
 |`- Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
 `* Re: RCS chatsWally J
  `* Re: RCS chatsStan Brown
   `* Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
    +* Re: RCS chatsStan Brown
    |+* Re: RCS chatsAndy Burns
    ||`- Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
    |+- Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz
    |+* Re: RCS chatsDave Roya
    ||+* Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
    |||+- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
    |||`* Re: RCS chatsArno Welzel
    ||| +- Re: RCS chatsAndy Burns
    ||| +* Re: RCS chatsDave Roya
    ||| `* Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
    |||  +* Re: RCS chatsAndy Burns
    |||  |`- Re: RCS chatsFrank Slootweg
    |||  `- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
    ||`* Re: RCS chatsDave Roya
    || `* Re: RCS chatsAndy Burns
    ||  `* Re: RCS chatsDave Roya
    ||   +- Re: RCS chatsAndy Burns
    ||   `- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
    |+- Re: RCS chatsCarlos E. R.
    |`- Re: RCS chatsStan Brown
    `- Re: RCS chatsJörg Lorenz

Pages:1234
RCS chats

<MPG.3fa6ee6f5cfd6e9b9901f9@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46391&group=comp.mobile.android#46391

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: RCS chats
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:10:28 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:10 UTC

Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 13

I use the Google Messaging app. It's started nagging me
to enable RCS Chats. I did some googling, but the
articles all seem to be either the nuts and bolts of
enabling/disabling, or glowing but vague praises of how
wonderful RCS Chats is.

Potential cons:

1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
frequently text with all have iPhones.)

2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.

Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
to?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Re: RCS chats

<kq51qvFk5beU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46392&group=comp.mobile.android#46392

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: RCS chats
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:22:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:22 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> 1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
> frequently text with all have iPhones.)

Just reverts to SMS (or MMS I guess, I never send those due to £££)

> 2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
> videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.

You can turn off read receipt (and typing indicators)

> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
> to?

Yes, my network used to provide RCS via their own servers, they have
recently bounced users over to Google/jibe's servers, can't comment yet
if the reliability has changed.

I don't do WhatsApp (and trying to convince friends to use
Signal/Telegram would be an uphill struggle) so the ability to sent free
picture messages to at least my android-using contacts is handy.

Re: RCS chats

<174zzfw4caxi1$.1migkpgkg4sea.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46393&group=comp.mobile.android#46393

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:50:32 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:50 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 13
>
> I use the Google Messaging app. It's started nagging me
> to enable RCS Chats. I did some googling, but the
> articles all seem to be either the nuts and bolts of
> enabling/disabling, or glowing but vague praises of how
> wonderful RCS Chats is.
>
> Potential cons:
>
> 1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
> frequently text with all have iPhones.)
>
> 2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
> videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.
>
> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
> to?

If it is enabled and you accidentally go over the SMS limit, or add
something that isn't allowed in SMS, it sends it as an MMS and costs a
mint. There may be a way to prevent that now, but I couldn't find one at
the time it first appeared. I found another app that only does SMS
(Spamhound) and which enables blocking of commercial and other spam. I'm
sure there are others which are SMS only.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Can you be a closet claustrophobic?

Re: RCS chats

<31pqjitik7lg9n5e5qq3teltl9ec4kullh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46395&group=comp.mobile.android#46395

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 13:43:47 -0600
 by: KenW - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:43 UTC

On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:10:28 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 13
>
>I use the Google Messaging app. It's started nagging me
>to enable RCS Chats. I did some googling, but the
>articles all seem to be either the nuts and bolts of
>enabling/disabling, or glowing but vague praises of how
>wonderful RCS Chats is.
>
>Potential cons:
>
>1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
>frequently text with all have iPhones.)
>
>2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
>videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.
>
>Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
>could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
>to?

Don't forget Google saves every message. That is why I went back to
original messaging app.

KenW

Re: RCS chats

<kq5bo7F4a7bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46397&group=comp.mobile.android#46397

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 23:11:35 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 21:11 UTC

On 2023-10-28 20:10, Stan Brown wrote:
> Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 13
>
> I use the Google Messaging app. It's started nagging me
> to enable RCS Chats. I did some googling, but the
> articles all seem to be either the nuts and bolts of
> enabling/disabling, or glowing but vague praises of how
> wonderful RCS Chats is.
>
> Potential cons:
>
> 1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
> frequently text with all have iPhones.)

Doesn't matter. If RCS is not available, the tool will use the previous
method.

> 2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
> videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.

I've never been sent anything "big". I don't know about they knowing if
you opened the message or files. I'll have to find out about that.

The feature exists in email since decades, but many clients ask you
before sending that information back (configurable). Windows perhaps
sends it silently.

WhatsApp, for instance, behaves by default that way (for every message).
No big deal, you can disable it.

> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
> to?

I enabled it soon after I learned about it.

It has features that have been there since ages for other messaging
apps, like WhatsApp. I have not seen anything bad about it. The worst
that I heard is that it will not get enough users to matter.

For me, it has one very important feature: sending a message to my
relatives across the pond costs me money, as much as an euro per
message. But sending via RCS is free. If you live in NA and only message
people in NA, it will not matter to you.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: RCS chats

<kq5c1tF4a7cU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46398&group=comp.mobile.android#46398

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 23:16:44 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 21:16 UTC

On 2023-10-28 20:50, Bob Henson wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 13
>>
>> I use the Google Messaging app. It's started nagging me
>> to enable RCS Chats. I did some googling, but the
>> articles all seem to be either the nuts and bolts of
>> enabling/disabling, or glowing but vague praises of how
>> wonderful RCS Chats is.
>>
>> Potential cons:
>>
>> 1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
>> frequently text with all have iPhones.)
>>
>> 2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
>> videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.
>>
>> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
>> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
>> to?
>
> If it is enabled and you accidentally go over the SMS limit, or add
> something that isn't allowed in SMS, it sends it as an MMS and costs a
> mint. There may be a way to prevent that now, but I couldn't find one at
> the time it first appeared. I found another app that only does SMS
> (Spamhound) and which enables blocking of commercial and other spam. I'm
> sure there are others which are SMS only.

It was common for apps to tell you when the current message would be
sent as MMS.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: RCS chats

<uhkvv4$3oglq$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46401&group=comp.mobile.android#46401

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 08:00:52 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 07:00 UTC

Am 28.10.23 um 20:10 schrieb Stan Brown:
> Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 13
>
> I use the Google Messaging app. It's started nagging me
> to enable RCS Chats. I did some googling, but the
> articles all seem to be either the nuts and bolts of
> enabling/disabling, or glowing but vague praises of how
> wonderful RCS Chats is.
>
> Potential cons:
>
> 1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
> frequently text with all have iPhones.)
>
> 2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
> videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.
>
> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
> to?

You summarize it: RCS is a very old Nokia development.
Nobody needs it and almost 50% of mobiles in the field cannot receive or
send it. Privacy is abusive and it is a project of a frustrated
Google-company that missed out the instant messaging market completely.

It is so simple: Nobody needs it.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: RCS chats

<kq6eg5Ftb1cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46402&group=comp.mobile.android#46402

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 07:04:38 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 07:04 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> It was common for apps to tell you when the current message would be
> sent as MMS.

I do remember an issue around the android 4.x era where the stock
messaging app would 'promote' an SMS message sent to multiple recipients
into an MMS message for group chat.

But google hadn't realised that SMS and MMS were/are charged very
differently in some countries (e.g. the UK) they must have got plenty of
complaints as it was soon reversed.

Re: RCS chats

<uhl0ha$3otg1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46403&group=comp.mobile.android#46403

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 08:10:34 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 07:10 UTC

Am 29.10.23 um 08:04 schrieb Andy Burns:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> It was common for apps to tell you when the current message would be
>> sent as MMS.
>
> I do remember an issue around the android 4.x era where the stock
> messaging app would 'promote' an SMS message sent to multiple recipients
> into an MMS message for group chat.
>
> But google hadn't realised that SMS and MMS were/are charged very
> differently in some countries (e.g. the UK) they must have got plenty of
> complaints as it was soon reversed.

Because of cost and quality issues MMS never reached a relevant market
share in Europe. In some countries like Switzerland for instance
MMS-services were ceased a while ago.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: RCS chats

<kq6vgbF4a7cU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46411&group=comp.mobile.android#46411

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 12:54:51 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 11:54 UTC

On 2023-10-29 08:00, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 28.10.23 um 20:10 schrieb Stan Brown:
>> Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 13
>>
>> I use the Google Messaging app. It's started nagging me
>> to enable RCS Chats. I did some googling, but the
>> articles all seem to be either the nuts and bolts of
>> enabling/disabling, or glowing but vague praises of how
>> wonderful RCS Chats is.
>>
>> Potential cons:
>>
>> 1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
>> frequently text with all have iPhones.)
>>
>> 2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
>> videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.
>>
>> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
>> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
>> to?
>
> You summarize it: RCS is a very old Nokia development.
> Nobody needs it and almost 50% of mobiles in the field cannot receive or
> send it. Privacy is abusive and it is a project of a frustrated
> Google-company that missed out the instant messaging market completely.
>
> It is so simple: Nobody needs it.

Stan: don't listen to him.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: RCS chats

<uhlsbl$3tsms$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46417&group=comp.mobile.android#46417

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:05:25 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:05 UTC

Am 29.10.23 um 12:54 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2023-10-29 08:00, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> You summarize it: RCS is a very old Nokia development.
>> Nobody needs it and almost 50% of mobiles in the field cannot receive or
>> send it. Privacy is abusive and it is a project of a frustrated
>> Google-company that missed out the instant messaging market completely.
>>
>> It is so simple: Nobody needs it.
>>

> Stan: don't listen to him.

Carlos: Learn to face the facts! Nobody needs RCS.
*RCS is a gimp*. If someone wants to enjoy privacy RCS is the hell. And
if someone wants to chat even WhatsApp is the better solution.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: RCS chats

<uhlsq5$3tsms$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46418&group=comp.mobile.android#46418

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:13:09 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:13 UTC

Am 29.10.23 um 12:54 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2023-10-29 08:00, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 28.10.23 um 20:10 schrieb Stan Brown:
>>> Samsung Galaxy A54, Android 13
>>>
>>> I use the Google Messaging app. It's started nagging me
>>> to enable RCS Chats. I did some googling, but the
>>> articles all seem to be either the nuts and bolts of
>>> enabling/disabling, or glowing but vague praises of how
>>> wonderful RCS Chats is.
>>>
>>> Potential cons:
>>>
>>> 1. Doesn't work for iPhones. (The family and friends I
>>> frequently text with all have iPhones.)
>>>
>>> 2. Businesses can send long messages, big files, and
>>> videos, and learn whether I ever opened them.
>>>
>>> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
>>> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
>>> to?
>>
>> You summarize it: RCS is a very old Nokia development.
>> Nobody needs it and almost 50% of mobiles in the field cannot receive or
>> send it. Privacy is abusive and it is a project of a frustrated
>> Google-company that missed out the instant messaging market completely.
>>
>> It is so simple: Nobody needs it.
>>

> Stan: don't listen to him.

I use RCS on my Pixel 7: Nobody needs that. Got max. 6 RCS-messages
since I activated it years back.

iOS users laugh themselves to death. Google clearly missed out and RCS
is not the solution for Android and its users.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: RCS chats

<uhlt6d$3uqr9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46419&group=comp.mobile.android#46419

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:19:41 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:19 UTC

Am 29.10.23 um 12:54 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2023-10-29 08:00, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> It is so simple: Nobody needs it.
>>

> Stan: don't listen to him.

Google supports RCS on Android devices with its Android SMS app
Messages. In April 2018, it was reported that Google would be
transferring the team that was working on its Google Allo messaging
service to work on a wider RCS implementation.[19][20][21] In June 2019,
Google announced that it would begin to deploy RCS on an opt-in basis
via the Messages app, with service compliant with the Universal Profile
and hosted by Google rather than the user's carrier. The rollout of this
functionality began in France and the United Kingdom.[19][20] Google
initially branded RCS functionality under the generic term "chat
features"; in February 2023 Google began to replace references to "chat"
with "RCS".[7]

Google stated that it would only retain message data in transit until it
is delivered to the recipient.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services

*Nobody needs it*!

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: RCS chats

<MPG.3fa82cfb5891441e9901fb@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46423&group=comp.mobile.android#46423

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 09:49:32 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:49 UTC

On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:10:28 -0700, Stan Brown wrote:
> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
> to?

Thanks to all who responded. It sounds like RCS Chats has advantages
for some people, but those don't apply to how I use messaging. I'm in
the US and only message people in the US, and both data and messaging
are free and unlimited with my plan. (If you're curious, check out
<Visible.com>, a subsidiary of Verizon.) I've already sent the
occasional image or video to family via Messaging, so I know that
works without RCS Chats. Being a dinosaur, I don't use any social
media apps or websites, so being able to do the equivalent in
Messaging doesn't attract me.

Somebody mentioned "read receipts" in email. It's a long time since I
used any other mail client, but in Thunderbird, which I've been
using for years I have both receipts and viewing of remote images
disabled. My email provider doesn't even have a setting: it never
responds to read-receipt requests.

After reading what everyone wrote, I have dismissed the Google
prompt. Hopefully it won't reappear every time I open Messages!

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: RCS chats

<kq7p07F4a7bU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46426&group=comp.mobile.android#46426

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:09:59 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 19:09 UTC

On 2023-10-29 16:05, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 29.10.23 um 12:54 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>> On 2023-10-29 08:00, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>>> You summarize it: RCS is a very old Nokia development.
>>> Nobody needs it and almost 50% of mobiles in the field cannot receive or
>>> send it. Privacy is abusive and it is a project of a frustrated
>>> Google-company that missed out the instant messaging market completely.
>>>
>>> It is so simple: Nobody needs it.
>>>

>> Stan: don't listen to him.
>
> Carlos: Learn to face the facts! Nobody needs RCS.

I do, that's a fact, so you got your facts wrong.

You have claimed that many times, your ideas were debunked by several
posters, but you insist in your false claims.

So your facts are just your personal opinions.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: RCS chats

<kq7p7vF4a7bU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46427&group=comp.mobile.android#46427

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:14:07 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 19:14 UTC

On 2023-10-29 17:49, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:10:28 -0700, Stan Brown wrote:
>> Has anyone here actually enabled RCS Chats, and if so
>> could you mention one or two reasons why I might want
>> to?
>
> Thanks to all who responded. It sounds like RCS Chats has advantages
> for some people, but those don't apply to how I use messaging. I'm in
> the US and only message people in the US, and both data and messaging
> are free and unlimited with my plan. (If you're curious, check out
> <Visible.com>, a subsidiary of Verizon.) I've already sent the
> occasional image or video to family via Messaging, so I know that
> works without RCS Chats. Being a dinosaur, I don't use any social
> media apps or websites, so being able to do the equivalent in
> Messaging doesn't attract me.
>
> Somebody mentioned "read receipts" in email. It's a long time since I
> used any other mail client, but in Thunderbird, which I've been
> using for years I have both receipts and viewing of remote images
> disabled. My email provider doesn't even have a setting: it never
> responds to read-receipt requests.
>
> After reading what everyone wrote, I have dismissed the Google
> prompt. Hopefully it won't reappear every time I open Messages!

Activating it doesn't harm you in anyway. You simply have some more
features, and maybe some of your correspondents do need it.

I have relatives in Canada. RCS doesn't directly benefit them, but it
does benefit me, a lot, if they activate it.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: RCS chats

<uhmfko$22sf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46430&group=comp.mobile.android#46430

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:34:32 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:34 UTC

Am 29.10.23 um 20:09 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2023-10-29 16:05, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> Stan: don't listen to him.
>>
>> Carlos: Learn to face the facts! Nobody needs RCS.
>
> I do, that's a fact, so you got your facts wrong.
>
> You have claimed that many times, your ideas were debunked by several
> posters, but you insist in your false claims.
>
> So your facts are just your personal opinions.

Google supports RCS on Android devices with its Android SMS app
Messages. In April 2018, it was reported that Google would be
transferring the team that was working on its Google Allo messaging
service to work on a wider RCS implementation.[19][20][21] In June 2019,
Google announced that it would begin to deploy RCS on an opt-in basis
via the Messages app, with service compliant with the Universal Profile
and hosted by Google rather than the user's carrier. The rollout of this
functionality began in France and the United Kingdom.[19][20] Google
initially branded RCS functionality under the generic term "chat
features"; in February 2023 Google began to replace references to "chat"
with "RCS".[7]

Google stated that it would only retain message data in transit until it
is delivered to the recipient.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services

*Nobody needs it*!

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: RCS chats

<uhmfqs$22sg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46431&group=comp.mobile.android#46431

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:37:48 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:37 UTC

Am 29.10.23 um 20:14 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> Activating it doesn't harm you in anyway. You simply have some more
> features, and maybe some of your correspondents do need it.

Nobody needs a man in the middle (=Google).

> I have relatives in Canada. RCS doesn't directly benefit them, but it
> does benefit me, a lot, if they activate it.

My friends and relatives in the US all use either iMessage (majority) or
WA, Signal, Telegram or other instant messengers (minority).

Nobody uses RCS.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: RCS chats

<uholf3.i04.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46456&group=comp.mobile.android#46456

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 30 Oct 2023 15:26:24 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:26 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-10-29 16:05, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

> >> Stan: don't listen to him.
> >
> > Carlos: Learn to face the facts! Nobody needs RCS.
>
> I do, that's a fact, so you got your facts wrong.
>
> You have claimed that many times, your ideas were debunked by several
> posters, but you insist in your false claims.
>
> So your facts are just your personal opinions.

Don't be so hard on poor Jörg! He can't help it that he has no display
or/and no eyes or/and no <deleted>, can he!?

Re: RCS chats

<kqaa0uFccrrU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46462&group=comp.mobile.android#46462

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 19:12:46 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:12 UTC

On 2023-10-29 21:34, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 29.10.23 um 20:09 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

>>> Carlos: Learn to face the facts! Nobody needs RCS.
>>
>> I do, that's a fact, so you got your facts wrong.
>>
>> You have claimed that many times, your ideas were debunked by several
>> posters, but you insist in your false claims.
>>
>> So your facts are just your personal opinions.
>
> Google supports RCS on Android devices with its Android SMS app
> Messages. In April 2018, it was reported that Google would be
> transferring the team that was working on its Google Allo messaging
> service to work on a wider RCS implementation.[19][20][21] In June 2019,
> Google announced that it would begin to deploy RCS on an opt-in basis
> via the Messages app, with service compliant with the Universal Profile
> and hosted by Google rather than the user's carrier. The rollout of this
> functionality began in France and the United Kingdom.[19][20] Google
> initially branded RCS functionality under the generic term "chat
> features"; in February 2023 Google began to replace references to "chat"
> with "RCS".[7]

> Google stated that it would only retain message data in transit until it
> is delivered to the recipient.

So what? :-D

Without RCS, the default messaging app doesn't ever encrypt anything.
SMSs are sent in the clear.

And we are talking of the default messaging application.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: RCS chats

<kqaaceFccrrU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46463&group=comp.mobile.android#46463

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 19:18:54 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:18 UTC

On 2023-10-30 16:26, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> Carlos: Learn to face the facts! Nobody needs RCS.
>>
>> I do, that's a fact, so you got your facts wrong.
>>
>> You have claimed that many times, your ideas were debunked by several
>> posters, but you insist in your false claims.
>>
>> So your facts are just your personal opinions.
>
> Don't be so hard on poor Jörg! He can't help it that he has no display
> or/and no eyes or/and no <deleted>, can he!?

:-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: RCS chats

<uhot0i$j0rm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46464&group=comp.mobile.android#46464

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:34:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:34 UTC

On 30 Oct 2023 19:12:46 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>On 2023-10-29 21:34, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> I do, that's a fact, so you got your facts wrong.
>>>
>>> You have claimed that many times, your ideas were debunked by several
>>> posters, but you insist in your false claims.
>>>
>>> So your facts are just your personal opinions.
>>
>> Google supports RCS on Android devices with its Android SMS app
>> Messages. In April 2018, it was reported that Google would be
>> transferring the team that was working on its Google Allo messaging
>> service to work on a wider RCS implementation.[19][20][21] In June 2019,
>> Google announced that it would begin to deploy RCS on an opt-in basis
>> via the Messages app, with service compliant with the Universal Profile
>> and hosted by Google rather than the user's carrier. The rollout of this
>> functionality began in France and the United Kingdom.[19][20] Google
>> initially branded RCS functionality under the generic term "chat
>> features"; in February 2023 Google began to replace references to "chat"
>> with "RCS".[7]

>> Google stated that it would only retain message data in transit until it
>> is delivered to the recipient.
>
>So what? :-D
>
>Without RCS, the default messaging app doesn't ever encrypt anything.
>SMSs are sent in the clear.
>
>And we are talking of the default messaging application.

"Never argue with a fool, for he is doing the same."
(Les Barker.)

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: RCS chats

<uhp4su$36vqt$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46469&group=comp.mobile.android#46469

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:49:33 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 20:49 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote

> Thanks to all who responded. It sounds like RCS Chats has advantages
> for some people, but those don't apply to how I use messaging. I'm in
> the US and only message people in the US, and both data and messaging
> are free and unlimited with my plan.

Hi Stan,

This is an FYI to let you know of another possible similar solution...
<https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/>

I'm NOT suggesting you install this program, but I am letting you know that
it seems to be trying to do what RCS does for Android & Messages for iOS.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger>

BTW, I'm well aware the Klinker brothers sold to Maple Media, so I use the
last known good version of the app - which still does the same things well.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/OO-0G-_1qeU/m/dmDU_yaVBAAJ>

Just to repeat - I'm not suggesting you install it - but I am saying that I
tested every free adfree messaging app ever suggested on this newsgroup (at
least as of about two years ago when I ran those tests) and I found it the
best (and it still works fine even though my version is frozen in time).
<https://support.pulsesms.app/hc/en-us/articles/15528018713499-Pulse-SMS-What-is-Pulse-SMS->

a. The entire iOS newsgroup couldn't find anything that the default Apple
iOS messaging app does that PulseSMS didn't already do (plus things).
b. And as far as I can tell, I don't know if there's anything that RCS
does that PulseSMS doesn't already do (although at cost as Andy noted).

But I could be wrong because I don't use RCS and in fact, I don't know why
anyone in the USA does given our MMS messages are usually free & unlimited.

Re: RCS chats

<uhpmjc$n827$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46471&group=comp.mobile.android#46471

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 02:51:40 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 01:51 UTC

Am 30.10.23 um 19:12 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 2023-10-29 21:34, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Google supports RCS on Android devices with its Android SMS app
>> Messages. In April 2018, it was reported that Google would be
>> transferring the team that was working on its Google Allo messaging
>> service to work on a wider RCS implementation.[19][20][21] In June 2019,
>> Google announced that it would begin to deploy RCS on an opt-in basis
>> via the Messages app, with service compliant with the Universal Profile
>> and hosted by Google rather than the user's carrier. The rollout of this
>> functionality began in France and the United Kingdom.[19][20] Google
>> initially branded RCS functionality under the generic term "chat
>> features"; in February 2023 Google began to replace references to "chat"
>> with "RCS".[7]

>> Google stated that it would only retain message data in transit until it
>> is delivered to the recipient.
>
> So what? :-D
>
> Without RCS, the default messaging app doesn't ever encrypt anything.
> SMSs are sent in the clear.

That is OT and everybody knows it.

> And we are talking of the default messaging application.

Who cares? RCS is a gimp.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: RCS chats

<uhqfl3$utpc$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46477&group=comp.mobile.android#46477

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 09:59:15 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 08:59 UTC

On 30.10.23 19:34, Dave Royal wrote:
> "Never argue with a fool, for he is doing the same."
> (Les Barker.)

That's why I can easily abstain from talking to you, Troll.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)