From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: desktop edge trigger
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:08:33 +1000
 by: faeychild - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:08 UTC

Once again I have lost the ability to switch desktops using the mouse
cursor to screen edge trigger.

This happens rarely and although the desktop effects settings appear to
be intact the edge trigger fails to switch. The virtual desktops are
still intact but access is only through the pager

Somewhere in ~/.config is the answer. Re naming that folder clears the
problem and the edge trigger can be restored but this leaves a default
desktop layout, all customization is lost

I have tried renaming all the "plasma*" files to cause them to recreate
but this failed.

Does anyone know which files are responsible for the desktop effects?

The alternative is to switch out every file in ~/.config folder until I
find it. not looking forward to that

regards

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.15.32-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.

Re: desktop edge trigger

<slrnt602ia.t524.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4644&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4644

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: desktop edge trigger
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:27:26 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:27 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:08:33 +1000, faeychild wrote:

> Once again I have lost the ability to switch desktops using the mouse
> cursor to screen edge trigger.
>
> This happens rarely and although the desktop effects settings appear to
> be intact the edge trigger fails to switch. The virtual desktops are
> still intact but access is only through the pager
>
> Somewhere in ~/.config is the answer. Re naming that folder clears the
> problem and the edge trigger can be restored but this leaves a default
> desktop layout, all customization is lost
>
> I have tried renaming all the "plasma*" files to cause them to recreate
> but this failed.
>
> Does anyone know which files are responsible for the desktop effects?
>
> The alternative is to switch out every file in ~/.config folder until I
> find it. not looking forward to that

One method is use a test account, say junk, configure it just like your
account, then write a script to compare junk files to your account as root.

Something to look at or toggle
systemsettings->Workspace Behavior->Screen Edges

Note: setting may have moved or changed names since I have made my kde/plasma notes.
I switched to xfce DE awhile back. Much easier to auto configure with xfconf-query
and look and feel is like kde was before all the bells and whistles were added.

Re: desktop edge trigger

<t3p2nl$44p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4645&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4645

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:44:20 -0400
 by: TJ - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:44 UTC

On 4/20/22 02:08, faeychild wrote:

> Once again I have lost the ability to switch desktops using the mouse
> cursor to screen edge trigger.
>
> This happens rarely and although the desktop effects settings appear to
> be intact the edge trigger fails to switch. The virtual desktops are
> still intact but access is only through the pager
>
> Somewhere in ~/.config is the answer. Re naming that folder clears the
> problem and the edge trigger can be restored but this leaves a default
> desktop layout, all customization is lost
>
> I have tried renaming all the "plasma*" files to cause them to recreate
> but this failed.
>
> Does anyone know which files are responsible for the desktop effects?
>
> The alternative is to switch out every file in  ~/.config folder until I
> find it. not looking forward to that
>
> regards

You could try using the panel GUI for System Settings.

Check System Settings/Workspace Behavior/Screen edges.

TJ

Re: desktop edge trigger

<t3q1pm$c10$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4646&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#4646

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:34:27 +1000
 by: faeychild - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:34 UTC

On 20/4/22 23:44, TJ wrote:

>> The alternative is to switch out every file in  ~/.config folder until
>> I find it. not looking forward to that
>>
>> regards
>>

> You could try using the panel GUI for System Settings.
>
> Check System Settings/Workspace Behavior/Screen edges.
>
> TJ

The GUI settings show no change. the screen edge is still set to show
"grid" Only it no longer does so

Any changes made to screen edges settings are ignored.

It would be nice if I found a file called "desktopEdgeSettingrc"
But my universe doesn't work like that.

Bit Twister's idea about comparing with "junk" files is sound enough but
getting a script written and debugged would take me as long as
individually swapping out each file.

I could quarter the files in the folder, removing them in groups until I
trigger the correction. And then winnow that group. It all takes time
It involves endless log out/in to test. It becomes a very long day.

I could try running grep or find to search key words in the folder.

I don't have the computer time to assign to this fault find.