computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Android 13 fonts = solved

SubjectAuthor
* Android 13 fontsBob Henson
+* Re: Android 13 fontsWally J
|`* Re: Android 13 fontsBob Henson
| `* Re: Android 13 fonts = solvedBob Henson
|  +* Re: Android 13 fonts = solvedcandycanearter07
|  |`* Re: Android 13 fonts = solvedWally J
|  | `* Re: Android 13 fonts = solvedcandycanearter07
|  |  `- Re: Android 13 fonts = solvedWally J
|  `- Re: Android 13 fonts = solvedWally J
`* Re: Android 13 fontsAndy Burns
 +- Re: Android 13 fontsBob Henson
 `* Re: Android 13 fontsWally J
  `* Re: Android 13 fontsBob Henson
   `* Re: Android 13 fontsWally J
    `* Re: Android 13 fontsAndy Burns
     `- Re: Android 13 fontsWally J

1
Android 13 fonts

<kpcv2jFfhpmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46054&group=comp.mobile.android#46054

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Android 13 fonts
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:08:02 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:08 UTC

I've just changed to a Motorola g84 5G phone running Android 13 and I
use dark mode wherever possible. I use the Microsoft launcher. I carried
everything forward from my old phone using Google and Microsoft launcher
cloud backups. I've just spent the usual long time setting up the apps
again and my old eyes are taking a hammering from reading settings,
particularly trying to find settings which will enable changing existing
fonts - I can change some of the sizes, but not the font.

One of the fonts used by the new phone (particularly for popup warnings
and instructions) has what I can only describe as "double" and/or
"hollow" letters - the only one I could find to illustrate it is the
Windows font Colonna MT regular. At the tiny sizes on the phone and
particularly as it is often used all in upper case, it is all but
unreadable to me. I didn't see it on my old phone (Android 11 and
Microsoft launcher) at all.

Can anyone tell me a) (out of curiosity) what font it is and b) how the
hell I get rid of it?

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK https://visittetbury.co.uk/

Re: Android 13 fonts

<ugs2ii$4iif$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46074&group=comp.mobile.android#46074

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android 13 fonts
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:12:02 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:12 UTC

Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote

> I've just changed to a Motorola g84 5G phone running Android 13 and I
> use dark mode wherever possible. I use the Microsoft launcher. I carried
> everything forward from my old phone using Google and Microsoft launcher
> cloud backups. I've just spent the usual long time setting up the apps
> again and my old eyes are taking a hammering from reading settings,
> particularly trying to find settings which will enable changing existing
> fonts - I can change some of the sizes, but not the font.
>
> One of the fonts used by the new phone (particularly for popup warnings
> and instructions) has what I can only describe as "double" and/or
> "hollow" letters - the only one I could find to illustrate it is the
> Windows font Colonna MT regular. At the tiny sizes on the phone and
> particularly as it is often used all in upper case, it is all but
> unreadable to me. I didn't see it on my old phone (Android 11 and
> Microsoft launcher) at all.
>
> Can anyone tell me a) (out of curiosity) what font it is and b) how the
> hell I get rid of it?

I have no idea how to solve your problem but ignorance can be cured.
(It's stupidity that can't be cured.)

Most of my learning on Android is purely empirical though.
As are most of my solutions to problems that I experience on my phone.

To that end...
Can you tell us the steps to run that will pop up that specific font?
If we can see the problem for ourselves, we can help you more that way.

Without reproducing the problem, I can only shotgun potential solutions.

In my one-tap-shortcuts folder, I have a screen zoom you might try.
Package Name = com.android.settings
Activity Name = com.android.settings.Settings$SecScreenZoomActivity

Here is a screenshot I made for you showing how 1-tap screenzoom works.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Xv6LbXDH/screenzoom.jpg>
As for fonts, I know nothing about them so I ran a quick search for you.
https://duckduckgo.com/?&q=add+remove+android+font>

The first hit was a shill for this adware program that you might try.
<https://www.androidauthority.com/install-fonts-android-279698/>
The adware font switcher that article spoke about is apparently ZFont.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htetznaing.zfont2>
Although that app doesn't specifically mention Motorola phones (AFAIK).

Other hits confirm font-change procedures can be manufacturer specific.
<https://www.howtogeek.com/443808/how-to-change-fonts-in-android/>
Where they suggest the launcher that I use, "Nova launcher" for this.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher>
And they suggested the Action Launcher (but I wouldn't go that far).
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionlauncher.playstore>

This hit says some launchers add the ability to change the fonts too.
<https://www.guidingtech.com/change-android-fonts-without-rooting/>
Where they suggest the "Go Launcher" but it has ads so who wants that.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex>

This also suggests "iFont" for isntalling new fonts onto Android.
<https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-install-fonts-on-android/>
But it too has ads, so I'd only use it if the changes are persistent.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kapp.ifont>

While this explains the difference in terms of font changing for rooted
versus non-rooted Android systems (where most of our phones are unrooted).
<https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-android-platform/>

This one covers an app called "Font Installer" but I can't find it.
<https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-android-platform/>

In summary, I'd be able to help you more if I could empirically reproduce
your issue - but until then - above are some things for you to consider.
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.

Re: Android 13 fonts

<kperqhFrc7sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46086&group=comp.mobile.android#46086

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:24:49 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:24 UTC

On 19.10.23 9:12 pm, Wally J wrote:
> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote
>
>> I've just changed to a Motorola g84 5G phone running Android 13 and I
>> use dark mode wherever possible. I use the Microsoft launcher. I carried
>> everything forward from my old phone using Google and Microsoft launcher
>> cloud backups. I've just spent the usual long time setting up the apps
>> again and my old eyes are taking a hammering from reading settings,
>> particularly trying to find settings which will enable changing existing
>> fonts - I can change some of the sizes, but not the font.
>>
>> One of the fonts used by the new phone (particularly for popup warnings
>> and instructions) has what I can only describe as "double" and/or
>> "hollow" letters - the only one I could find to illustrate it is the
>> Windows font Colonna MT regular. At the tiny sizes on the phone and
>> particularly as it is often used all in upper case, it is all but
>> unreadable to me. I didn't see it on my old phone (Android 11 and
>> Microsoft launcher) at all.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me a) (out of curiosity) what font it is and b) how the
>> hell I get rid of it?
>
> I have no idea how to solve your problem but ignorance can be cured.
> (It's stupidity that can't be cured.)
>
> Most of my learning on Android is purely empirical though.
> As are most of my solutions to problems that I experience on my phone.
>
> To that end...
> Can you tell us the steps to run that will pop up that specific font?
> If we can see the problem for ourselves, we can help you more that way.

It appears in different places, not apparently connected. When it next
happens I'll get a screen grab and post it somewhere.

> Without reproducing the problem, I can only shotgun potential solutions.
>
> In my one-tap-shortcuts folder, I have a screen zoom you might try.
> Package Name = com.android.settings
> Activity Name = com.android.settings.Settings$SecScreenZoomActivity
>
> Here is a screenshot I made for you showing how 1-tap screenzoom works.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/Xv6LbXDH/screenzoom.jpg>

I may find that useful, but I'd like to solve the basic problem.

> As for fonts, I know nothing about them so I ran a quick search for you.
> https://duckduckgo.com/?&q=add+remove+android+font>
>
> The first hit was a shill for this adware program that you might try.
> <https://www.androidauthority.com/install-fonts-android-279698/>
> The adware font switcher that article spoke about is apparently ZFont.
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htetznaing.zfont2>
> Although that app doesn't specifically mention Motorola phones (AFAIK).
>
> Other hits confirm font-change procedures can be manufacturer specific.
> <https://www.howtogeek.com/443808/how-to-change-fonts-in-android/>
> Where they suggest the launcher that I use, "Nova launcher" for this.
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher>
> And they suggested the Action Launcher (but I wouldn't go that far).
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionlauncher.playstore>

I've read quite a few of these results already - but they don't explain
what I need to know - where the font comes from and what makes Android
use it. When I find that out, I can then use the information in those
results to change the font (hopefully) - but I need to know what to change.

> This hit says some launchers add the ability to change the fonts too.
> <https://www.guidingtech.com/change-android-fonts-without-rooting/>
> Where they suggest the "Go Launcher" but it has ads so who wants that.
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex>

As far a my previous research goes, it says that launchers only change
the fonts used within the launcher, not any general Android fonts.

> This also suggests "iFont" for isntalling new fonts onto Android.
> <https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-install-fonts-on-android/>
> But it too has ads, so I'd only use it if the changes are persistent.
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kapp.ifont>
>
> While this explains the difference in terms of font changing for rooted
> versus non-rooted Android systems (where most of our phones are unrooted).
> <https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-android-platform/>
>
> This one covers an app called "Font Installer" but I can't find it.
> <https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-android-platform/>
>
> In summary, I'd be able to help you more if I could empirically reproduce
> your issue - but until then - above are some things for you to consider.

Thanks for all your efforts. I was hoping someone would recognise my
description of the font so I could then apply the sort of information
you have posted.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK https://visittetbury.co.uk/

Re: Android 13 fonts = solved

<kpfifiFrc7tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46090&group=comp.mobile.android#46090

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android 13 fonts = solved
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:51:31 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:51 UTC

On 20.10.23 9:24 am, Bob Henson wrote:
> [...]
>> But it too has ads, so I'd only use it if the changes are persistent.
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kapp.ifont>
>>
>> While this explains the difference in terms of font changing for rooted
>> versus non-rooted Android systems (where most of our phones are unrooted).
>> <https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-android-platform/>
>>
>> This one covers an app called "Font Installer" but I can't find it.
>> <https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-android-platform/>
>>
>> In summary, I'd be able to help you more if I could empirically reproduce
>> your issue - but until then - above are some things for you to consider.
>
> Thanks for all your efforts. I was hoping someone would recognise my
> description of the font so I could then apply the sort of information

Having carried on searching myself, I have accidentally stumbled on the
answer to the problem. It was not a separate font. When I set up the
phone, one of the display options was to enable high contrast text to
improve. Having, as I mentioned, poor eyesight, I set it on. It would
appear that far from helping with contrast, this setting changed some of
the text (why only some?) to the double letters that caused the problem
- making readability much worse, not much better. My guess is that it
might have worked has I not been using dark mode. Either way round, the
Android devs got it horribly wrong. I've unticked the setting and the
horrible text has gone away. Some checking showed that the items
previously "doubled" were quite low contrast items, but they are now at
least readable. It's fairly typical these days - they make a half
hearted attempt to change something, only to not check out all the
options and make it worse.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK https://visittetbury.co.uk/

Re: Android 13 fonts = solved

<ugu4gj$156ml$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46092&group=comp.mobile.android#46092

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:57:22 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:57 UTC

On 10/20/23 09:51, Bob Henson wrote:
> When I set up the phone, one of the display options was to enable high contrast text to
> improve. Having, as I mentioned, poor eyesight, I set it on. It would
> appear that far from helping with contrast, this setting changed some of
> the text (why only some?)

Maybe by "high contrast" it means that it makes some text unreadable to
stand out, who knows.

Re: Android 13 fonts

<kpfsodF2r6iU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46099&group=comp.mobile.android#46099

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 18:46:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:46 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:

> One of the fonts used by the new phone (particularly for popup warnings
> and instructions) has what I can only describe as "double" and/or
> "hollow" letters

A few months ago somebody else reported a similar situation with fonts,
I can't remember the outcome or the person, other than to mention it
because a search may find the thread, and the thread may contain an
answer ...

Re: Android 13 fonts = solved

<ugues9$d6q1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46100&group=comp.mobile.android#46100

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:54:17 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:54 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

> On 10/20/23 09:51, Bob Henson wrote:
>> When I set up the phone, one of the display options was to enable high contrast text to
>> improve. Having, as I mentioned, poor eyesight, I set it on. It would
>> appear that far from helping with contrast, this setting changed some of
>> the text (why only some?)
>
> Maybe by "high contrast" it means that it makes some text unreadable to
> stand out, who knows.

Since I was completely ignorant of how to resolve Bob Henson's problem,
I did some digging (as ignorance can be cured - stupidity can't)...

I looked for where my phone would set "high contrast" fonts which found
High contrast fonts
High contrast themes
High contrast keyboards
High contrast fonts shortcuts

But I couldn't find a _direct_ way to get to those settings.
It found them _only_ when I run a search from within settings.

That's strange (if it's true there are no _direct_ steps).
Settings > Display > Search for "Visibility enhancements"

Of course, since you can do almost anything you want to do in Android,
I created a one-tap shortcut so that I can get there efficiently in a
single tap - but it is strange there's no step-by-step in settings.
Package Name = com.samsung.accessibility
Class = com.samsung.accessibility.Activities$AccessibilityViewClearActivity
Notice the package name is NOT "com.android.settings", so this is a
Samsung-specific activity - which may be different on Bob's phone.

Note: You start in "Settings" (com.android.settings) but at some point you
are moved to Samsung settings (com.samsung.assessibility); so that's
perhaps why there isn't a _direct_ way to get there from settings???
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.

Re: Android 13 fonts

<kpftktFrc7sU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46101&group=comp.mobile.android#46101

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:02:06 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 18:02 UTC

On 20.10.23 6:46 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
> Bob Henson wrote:
>
>> One of the fonts used by the new phone (particularly for popup warnings
>> and instructions) has what I can only describe as "double" and/or
>> "hollow" letters
>
> A few months ago somebody else reported a similar situation with fonts,
> I can't remember the outcome or the person, other than to mention it
> because a search may find the thread, and the thread may contain an
> answer ...

I may have a search back if I don't get too fed up with banging my head
against this particular brick wall. Having solved my immediate problem,
I may just learn to live with it. When you reach a certain age you reach
the point where your remaining time is not really to be wasted unless
essential :-)

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK https://visittetbury.co.uk/

Re: Android 13 fonts

<ugujah$de7p$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46104&group=comp.mobile.android#46104

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:10:08 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:10 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote

> Bob Henson wrote:
>
>> One of the fonts used by the new phone (particularly for popup warnings
>> and instructions) has what I can only describe as "double" and/or
>> "hollow" letters
>
> A few months ago somebody else reported a similar situation with fonts,
> I can't remember the outcome or the person, other than to mention it
> because a search may find the thread, and the thread may contain an
> answer ...

Hi Andy & Bob,
As you note, I hate it when I can't reproduce someone else's issue,
because most of my solutions are purely empirical in nature.

If you can't reproduce the problem on your own phone, it's much harder
to provide a solution (other than the shotgun approach I already
gave Bob).

Turns out that Bob found the problem and the solution, where only
then was I able to reproduce his problem of some fonts showing up
as he described.

I ask Bob Henson if this is kind of sort of like what he was seeing.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Dzys8fTr/contrast01.jpg>

While my setup is Samsung specific, Bob's setup will be similar
with the exception that his package/class names will be different.

For those on Samsung, the package and class names needed to create
that one-tap shortcut are the following (copied from Muntashirakon).

URI = intent:#Intent;package=com.samsung.accessibility;component=com.samsung.accessibility/.Activities%24AccessibilityViewClearActivity;end
ACTION = android.intent.action.VIEW
COMPONENT = com.samsung.accessibility/com.samsung.accessibility.Activities$AccessibilityViewClearActivity
PACKAGE com.samsung.accessibility
MATCHING ACTIVITIES
LABEL = Visibility enhancements
NAME = com.samsung.accessibility.Activities$AccessibilityViewClearActivity
PACKAGE = com.samsung.accessibility

From that information, it's trivial to create a one-tap shortcut to it.
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.

Re: Android 13 fonts

<kphfqnFbp1jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46120&group=comp.mobile.android#46120

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:18:32 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:18 UTC

On 20.10.23 8:10 pm, Wally J wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote
>
>> Bob Henson wrote:
>>
>>> One of the fonts used by the new phone (particularly for popup warnings
>>> and instructions) has what I can only describe as "double" and/or
>>> "hollow" letters
>>
>> A few months ago somebody else reported a similar situation with fonts,
>> I can't remember the outcome or the person, other than to mention it
>> because a search may find the thread, and the thread may contain an
>> answer ...
>
> Hi Andy & Bob,
> As you note, I hate it when I can't reproduce someone else's issue,
> because most of my solutions are purely empirical in nature.
>
> If you can't reproduce the problem on your own phone, it's much harder
> to provide a solution (other than the shotgun approach I already
> gave Bob).
>
> Turns out that Bob found the problem and the solution, where only
> then was I able to reproduce his problem of some fonts showing up
> as he described.
>
> I ask Bob Henson if this is kind of sort of like what he was seeing.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/Dzys8fTr/contrast01.jpg>

That's it - the "after" font (or more strictly adaptations of a font) on
the right of your picture is the same as that which I got.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK https://visittetbury.co.uk/

Re: Android 13 fonts = solved

<uh0v2e$1rhcm$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46138&group=comp.mobile.android#46138

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:42:54 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:42 UTC

On 10/20/23 12:54, Wally J wrote:
> Notice the package name is NOT "com.android.settings", so this is a
> Samsung-specific activity - which may be different on Bob's phone.
>
> Note: You start in "Settings" (com.android.settings) but at some point you
> are moved to Samsung settings (com.samsung.assessibility); so that's
> perhaps why there isn't a _direct_ way to get there from settings???

Bit strange it's not a native feature.

Re: Android 13 fonts = solved

<uh1fta$mj51$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46151&group=comp.mobile.android#46151

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:30:17 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 21:30 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

> On 10/20/23 12:54, Wally J wrote:
>> Notice the package name is NOT "com.android.settings", so this is a
>> Samsung-specific activity - which may be different on Bob's phone.
>>
>> Note: You start in "Settings" (com.android.settings) but at some point you
>> are moved to Samsung settings (com.samsung.assessibility); so that's
>> perhaps why there isn't a _direct_ way to get there from settings???
>
> Bit strange it's not a native feature.

The only way to know what's native is for us to ask the Pixel owners.

Even then, very few people have the necessary skills to determine
Package Name = ?
Activity Name = ?

It's not that it's hard to do (as it's trivial to do in most cases).
It's just that 999,999 out of a million people don't know how to do it.

Re: Android 13 fonts

<uh1gfl$mk1a$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46152&group=comp.mobile.android#46152

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:40:05 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 21:40 UTC

Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote

>> I ask Bob Henson if this is kind of sort of like what he was seeing.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/Dzys8fTr/contrast01.jpg>
>>

> That's it - the "after" font (or more strictly adaptations of a font) on
> the right of your picture is the same as that which I got.

Thanks for caring enough to check the annotated image & affirm the query.

I agree with everything you said in that it's not obvious where it comes
from unless you had only moments prior turned on the high contrast fonts
switch. If it's not obvious where it comes from, then it's not obvious how
to turn it off.

That's exactly why I created the one-tap shortcut to go directly to it.
Because there's no other way to get to it directly (sans a search).
Unfortunately, depending on your technical level, because your phone is
Motorola, the Samsung-specific one-tap shortcut I made won't work for you.

You and Andy can tell me if it's similar with the Motorola & Pixel though.

You can rather easily create the one-tap shortcut for Motorola though.
You just have to use the same debug procedure that I used. That's all.

That way, the next time it turns itself on (somehow) you tap it off.
Meanwhile, I wonder, like you did, why only _some_ fonts are affected.
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.

Re: Android 13 fonts

<kpk7scFrlrdU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46192&group=comp.mobile.android#46192

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:21:16 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:21 UTC

Wally J wrote:

> You and Andy can tell me if it's similar with the Motorola & Pixel though.

It's similar on the Pixel, but when high-contrast is enabled it only
affects text in a minority of apps, and even then a minority of text
within those apps ... maybe it depends on font size too?

Re: Android 13 fonts

<uhmjai$2u9tf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46433&group=comp.mobile.android#46433

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:37:21 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:37 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote

>> You and Andy can tell me if it's similar with the Motorola & Pixel though.
>
> It's similar on the Pixel, but when high-contrast is enabled it only
> affects text in a minority of apps, and even then a minority of text
> within those apps ... maybe it depends on font size too?

Thanks for confirming the capricious nature of the high-contrast fonts.

You're on a Pixel so you're closer to native Android than we are, where I'd
love to know if your high-contrast font setting calls a _different_ package
than <com.android.settings>. Does it?

By way of contrast, Samsung starts with com.android.settings activities.
But Samsung jumps to <com.samsung.accessibility> to get to the
high-contrast setting activity on the Samsung Android devices
<com.samsung.accessibility.Activities$AccessibilityViewClearActivity>.

Does the Pixel _stay_ in the <com.android.settings> package the whole time?

Re: Android 13 fonts = solved

<uhmjqa$2uaog$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46434&group=comp.mobile.android#46434

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:45:45 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:45 UTC

Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote

> Having carried on searching myself, I have accidentally stumbled on the
> answer to the problem. It was not a separate font. When I set up the
> phone, one of the display options was to enable high contrast text to
> improve. Having, as I mentioned, poor eyesight, I set it on.

I just noticed that there is a setting to create a shortcut in my "high
contrast fonts" GUI which I hadn't noticed being there before I helped you.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Dzys8fTr/contrast01.jpg>

Maybe "something" I did created this "high contrast font shortcut" option?
<https://i.postimg.cc/BZRZ8Ftc/contrast02.jpg>

Bob... can you check your Samsung (or anyone else with a Samsung) to see if
you also have this "high-contrast-font shortcut" option? Or is it just me?

1. Go to Samsung Android 13 "Settings"
2. Tap "Display" & scroll to the very bottom of the activity
3. Under "Looking for something else?" tap on "Visibility enhancements"
4. Longpress on the "High contrasts fonts=On/Off" description line

When you do that, does another activity pop up which allows you to create
and remove a "High contrast fonts shortcut" with an "on/off" switch?
<https://i.postimg.cc/BZRZ8Ftc/contrast02.jpg>

I don't remember seeing that option to create the font before.
Was it always there?

Or did I add it accidentally (by creating that shortcut on my own)?